Help us out - handle material for a Classic knife?

Discussion in 'Adventure Sworn Bushcraft Co.' started by Adventure Sworn, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Adventure Sworn

Adventure Sworn Cody Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys. Within the next few weeks we should have some Classic blades ready for handles, and I was curious if anyone wanted to share their input as to what type of materials you're interested in.
    1. Handle scale material
    2. Liners
    3. Hardware
    For handle scales we can do essentially anything that is stable and relatively tough. From natural wood, to micartas, to cast pine cone, etc. I'm game to try out some materials we haven't worked with before (or haven't in a while).

We can do loveless bolt nuts out of almost any material now as well, which can help in terms of matching the liner and pulling a color combo together.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Nonc-Tobe and rcwells like this.
  2. Adventure Sworn

Blog Posts:
    Just for starters I'm thinking of doing more cast pine cone. I do miss the bone/horn/antler option, which we stopped using because of stability issues, but I recall stabilized giraffe bone being very stable.

rcwells likes this.
  3. Booger

Booger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I love my Classic with Arizona Desert Ironwood. I'd like it better with white liners. Also like the green Micarta with white liners. Personal favorite it white Micarta or Corian. Waiting on my white Micarta Mountaineer now. Birdseye Maple or any Burl looks good.

rcwells and Adventure Sworn like this.
  4. seasonofthewoods

seasonofthewoods Wanderer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I love maple burl which I have a mountaineer from you guys with that.

Also maybe stacked birch bark:)

Let's see something crazy!

Adventure Sworn likes this.
  5. rcwells

rcwells Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Corian, Bone, horn, or what about Sambar Stag? Not stable either?
    Karelian Birch is nice and you know I like English Yew as well.
    Makassar Ebony or burled woods.
    Koa?

Personally I like tapered tangs for feel.
    Loveless bolts brass or copper.

I prefer liners but not particular about the material. Liners are just liners to me as long as the colors complement.

Oh and bolsters are cool too.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  6. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ever thought about moose or red stag antler?

7. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm not planning to buy one of them, but I really have a thing for desert ironwood and both the green and blue boxelder burl... I like bright liners that contrast with the handles (yellow with ironwood, red with the blue boxelder, and probably yellow with the green boxelder). And I like brass or copper hardware, especially mosaic stuff... just something nice about it. Not big on white metal pins.

Nonc-Tobe and Adventure Sworn like this.
  8. Runesland

Runesland Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Burlap micarta....... w/liners. Pretty much any of the "odd ball" micarta that has come out.

Still love the look of the loveless bolts.

T-Rav and rcwells like this.
  9. Bayoubshcrft

Bayoubshcrft Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ram horn... Buffalo horn.... Make a gorgeous handle. Very tight for a user to. My knives are all dedicated users. They have patina. They get used more than an average knife... Would love one of those options. Instead of bolts some tubing would be sweet. Some thin modest liners to complement if even necessary. My dirty secret for an AS knife though... An AS huntsman with a brass or stainless finger guard... Convexed. One can dream......

10. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    Copper hardware. What about carbon fiber pins ot bolts.. My dream Mountaineer with karelian birch and the blaze orange liners....not super original but I love the contrast... Copper bolts with a mosaic lanyard tube might look cool on it.

11. Bonekrakker

Bonekrakker Not a chiropractor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The maple burl and black ash burl from you guys is some of the best I've seen.

12. bam7765

bam7765 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Green pine cone with yellow liners........go pack!

13. PaPa K

PaPa K Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Drunken burlap with orange liners and brass hardware.

14. Wasp

Wasp Supreme Knotter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My hands down favorite is Ghost Jade G10, with a slightly green tint. Freakin love it. It is grippy and durable even when wet, looks good and photos well since it's translucent and picks up light. No liners so you can see the tang.

I like wood and micarta as much as anyone, but to me that Ghost Jade done right looks fantastic! I would even pay extra for it! (Shrug) I like it--sue me. Lol

15. FreudianSlip

FreudianSlip Guide

Blog Posts:
    I would say handle wise almost anything shadetree, thin orange, red, lime, or black liners, and using loveless stainless or brass bolts. I also like curly birch, Birdseye maple handles.

16. Billswfl

Billswfl Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like curly birch or bamboo, red liners and stainless hardware for wood or natural brown canvas micarta, no liners and brass hardware.

17. Adventure Sworn

Blog Posts:
    Nice combo ideas. All of these materials are definitely on the menu.

We haven't worked with maple burl in a while... we will go hunting for some nice blocks and offer it.

I've been thinking about how we could used stacked birch bark for use on a full tang knife for a while. The ticket is laminating the sheets together so well that it is essentially one solid block. We might try to make it almost like you would canvas micarta, and then send it to get professionally stabilized. That might make stacked birch bark a realistic option for us. :33: In the meanwhile we could almost surely use a few layers as a thick liner substitute, that may look nice.

From my experience bone/horn/antler is a bit inconsistent. Some scales might not move for 50 years, some might warp the next day. I do know some are more stable than others. Reindeer antler seemed pretty good as long as you can get a piece that has minimal marrow. I did a couple with sambar stag and they seemed to hold up pretty well, but I've heard of sambar stag warping like crazy from other makers.

We have some beautifully figured karelian birch on it's way, so that will be an option. And I'm trying to source some good figured yew like we used to have. Both of which I'm sending out to get professionally stabilized, they should make great handles.

As long as I can get it in the right dimensions, with thick enough walls to where I don't have any exposed marrow, then I'll give it a go. I just gotta source it. I haven't tried every bone/horn/antler option out there, and I know that at least one surprised me with its stability (giraffe bone).

We haven't worked with box elder burl in a while, I think we're about due. My favorite combo you mentioned is green box elder with yellow liners... we did a few with that and it really looks awesome. For sure, brass would go best with that handle. :dblthumb:

18. seasonofthewoods

seasonofthewoods Wanderer Supporter

Blog Posts:

Damn it..... time to get my credit card ready again...

19. Adventure Sworn

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the feedback. In terms of a brass or stainless bolster, we may not be offering that for the Huntsman. But I'm considering offering a Loveless drop-point hunter in the future, and that would have the brass or stainless bolster (just like Bob's used to).

We may be able to get copper back on the menu. We are now manufacturing our own loveless bolts, so we could do carbon fiber nuts. Or any nuts for that matter. For the core, I think it's important to use metal for the strength; we plan on offering stainless, brass, copper, and aluminum. Maybe bronze.

We will keep using it as an option then! We have been using black ash recently, but we haven't done maple burl in a while. I'll go comb through my suppliers and get some maple burl and it's way.

That sounds like an awesome combination. I'm working on sourcing a vendor to custom make us pine cone in large quantities to our specifications. We will probably be having him make cones cast in white, forest green, and a gold or brown color. Maroon might be cool, too.

Some people just love that jade ghost. We haven't worked with it in a while, because honestly we're trying to veer away from G10. But if you want that jade ghost look, there is only one way to get it. If we do offer it in the future, it will be slightly up-charged due to the workability and toxic nature of the material. Great finished product though.

Never worked with bamboo. Seemed to work well for the BCNW-O1. We will certainly have some birch as an option soon.

Hearing a good amount of love for the shadetree composites. Which is kind of funny because not too many people ordered it back when we took orders.

I stopped making shadetree a regular offering due to issues with it's stability, it tends to shrink pretty bad. However, I recently noticed that after it "settles in" after that first shrinking, which takes a few months, you could send it in for a spa treatment, and we can bring the bolts and tang flush again and it basically shouldn't move again after that point. I really like how his burlap composite ages, as the epoxy sinks in and the fibers stand proud, creating a unique texture. My personal Voyageur has ruby red burlap, I like it.

Runesland, Billswfl, Wasp and 2 others like this.
  20. bam7765

bam7765 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Go ahead and put me down for a forest green pine cone if you go that route. Love that stuff.

21. FreudianSlip

FreudianSlip Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have two knives with shadetree that have held up really well. One I've used for about 4 years, the fibers did stand proud. The only issue I had is that I found a moth eating the fibers in my sheath one time. I did send it in for a spa treatment as I'm pretty hard on the knife and it is less proud as you say. I do like the texture that forms.

22. Wasp

Wasp Supreme Knotter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Can you share the blade type/shape? Might help decide scale choices...and I'm nosey. :D

23. Bayoubshcrft

Bayoubshcrft Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  24. Booger

Booger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Anxiously waiting on the Ohio Buckeye Burl and the White Micarta Mountaineer that I've got ordered, should be within a couple weeks now for both. With that said I'll jump on the next Karelian Birch Mountaineer I see. Hopefully with thin white liners.

VanGo likes this.