Help with binoculars

Discussion in 'Other Tools' started by j_mcrane, Feb 7, 2019.

1. j_mcrane

j_mcrane Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I need help. I’m near sighted in my left eye and far sighted in my right. I don’t wear glasses. Can I find a decent pair of hunting (under $250) binoculars that can accommodate me? Or do I just get the vortex monocular and be done?

Turtle Creek and Jim L. like this.
  2. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've got the same issue with my eyes. Any binos with a right eye diopeter should work. The Vortex Diamondback is a great pair. You need to close your right eye or put a patch over it and use the normal focus adjustment until the object is clear. Now, close your left eye and turn the ring at the RIGHT optical lens until it's clear. Now, with both eyes open, both lenses should provide a clear image.

3. Deep Rooted

Deep Rooted Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Most good binoculars have individual diopter settings for this reason. Just set each eye to it's own individual setting and you should be fine.

Barry J, Turtle Creek and Seacapt. like this.
  4. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    even my EL CHEAPO Bushnell's have the ability to accommodate your issue

IIRC i have never found a pair that wouldn't

i don't think anyone has the same vision in both eyes

personal recommendation:

do not order any w/o first trying them out IN PERSON

goto some place like Academy or Cabelas and play w/ their selection beginning with the lowest price units to see how they suit you

then if you must search the interweb for pricing

Jim L. likes this.
  5. Jim L.

Jim L. Guide

Blog Posts:
    My Tasco binoculars (cheap, elcheapo's) will accommodate my exremely farsighted eyes. 'Course I can't wear my glasses with them.

(edit) near sighted

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  6. junkpile

junkpile Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think I paid close to $400 about 12 years ago for some decent roof prism binoculars. Bought my oldest boy a set of $30 Tasco roof prisms for Christmas, and they seem just about as good.

Any decent set of binoculars should do. I'd try them out before ordering. Best to not try them out in the store, their lighting makes everything look great.

Jim L. likes this.
  7. Blackhawk45hunter

Blackhawk45hunter Pronounced sim-bee-duh Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Most people have different vision in each eye, just some have more drastic of a difference in each than others. Most binos have at least one side that’s adjustable. Close your ‘bad’ eye and use the main focus adjustment to get your ‘good’ eye into focus, then switch eyes and adjust the ‘bad’ eye into focus. Voila, now your binos are set for your eyes.

You don’t need to spend a ton, I have some 8x42 Nikon prostaff 3 binos that I picked up for $115 and even Walmart has them now.

Turtle Creek likes this.
  8. Naphtali

Naphtali Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What I think I'm hearing you say is that you require a binocular (singular because "binocular" is a short form of "binocular stereoptic viewing device", pronouncing binocular as by-nocular in the long form) having an extremely large diopter adjustment on each telescope barrel. If I restated your requirement correctly:
    1. Binocular having individual focus required.

2. Two binoculars that incorporate ± 7 diopters in each barrel are Zeiss-Jena 7x40 DF, having porro prism configuration, and Zeiss-Jena 7x40 EDF, having roof prism configuration.

3. Other military surplus binoculars may incorporate comparable diopter adjustability, having anywhere from 6 to 10 powers of magnification. Several online blogs, Dr. Merlitz's web blog being the one that should help your search most efficiently.

4. The only commercially available binoculars having such diopter adjustability of which I am aware are Docter Optik's 7x40 and 10x42 B roof prism configured binoculars. And these are significantly updated versions of the Zeiss-Jena 7x40EDF.
    I have owned and used two of the EDF binoculars that had never been issued to the East German NVA. Optics and optical glass made by Zeiss-Jena were top quality - despite being made in the pre-war Zeiss factory, on obsolescent machinery by the East German government. When East Germany ceased to exist, the company became privately owned. What was made by Zeiss-Jena business could not compete in the marketplace. They went broke. Bernard Docter bought the factory, patents, etc. and made changes necessary to manufacture a German product [series] that could compete with Zeiss-Oberkochen, Leica, Swarovski, and top quality Japanese optics.

I apologize for being so "windy" - that is, you asked me for the correct time and I told you how the watch works.

I hope something in the mishmash is useful.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019 at 12:20 PM
    mjh likes this.
  9. Yippeekiay

Yippeekiay Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Something to consider. If you're going to wear glasses, eye relief comes heavily into play. Many decent 8x42 configurations have sufficient eye relief. Generally 16-17 mm or better. Once you go to 10x and above more money is needed for a full view.

10. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yes. Any binos with a right eye diopter should work. It will be the first time you have seen perfectly in years. :)

Outdoor Dauber likes this.
  11. Turtle Creek

Turtle Creek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't what the OP means exactly, but I did what @Outdoor Dauber said on my Vortex Diamondbacks and can see everything i need to with my Diamondback 8x42's. My condition is I can't read a menu or my speedometer for crap! But can read all road signs before I get to close to them. I love the Vortex DB's for my 'typical condition' and $$ spent.

12. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Glad it helped. I have the 8x42s as well and love them! Glass that performs well above the price range, IMO.

Turtle Creek likes this.
  13. Turtle Creek

Turtle Creek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Been using mine for a year + now and no complaints since day one.

14. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a pair or Vortex diamondbacks in 10x28 and bought a vortex monocular in 10x. The binoculars are great and do everything I need them to in a very compact package. The monocular for me is much harder to hold still and locate what I’m looking for. So much so that I have thrown in the glovebox in my work vehicle. My other binoculars are Nikon Monarchs in 8x42. They are excellent quality but too big to carry for a walk around/stalk type hunt. One piece of advise is to go 8x if you are not hunting where long distance is involved you’ll get a larger field of view and it will be easier to keep still. I bought the 10x for air travel to the western National Parks.

15. Barry J

Barry J Guide

Blog Posts:
    Steiner military/police binoculars have very nice glass and good low light performance. But in your case, what's important to mention is they have individual ocular adjustments. The 7x50 seems to be an excellent choice for most viewing. Decent relative brightness, exit pupil and all glass lenses. Polycarbonate body and very water resistant.
    If memory serves correctly, they have +/- 5 diopter adjustment in each ocular.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019 at 11:44 AM