Hestra Fält Guide Glove

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by LostViking, Nov 14, 2018.

1. LostViking

LostViking Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well it's 14F and snowing like crazy. It was +8F this morning.

After burning through way too many pairs of Gore-Tex, nylon, thinsulate gloves. Both literally and figuretively. I have decided to bite the bullet.

I'm taking one for the team and will post up my feedback and advice on these.
    https://hestragloves.com/sport/en/gloves/outdoor/31270-falt-guide-glove/750100/#description

All leather construction with a full, removable wool liner.

I make no secret I am a wool fan. And honestly, I know I am very hard on both gloves and footwear. For years I used D3As with the wool liners. They worked pretty good down to about 10F if I was stationary. And way colder if I was working. But they are next to impossible to source these days.

For the last two years running. I have bought a new pair of Marmot Work Gloves. They are ok, reasonably warm, and would probably last the average person 5 years. Mine are in tatters by the time the snow melts here.

I get them for Christmas and by President's week they are on the decline. Just your basic leather insulated glove. And in truth much better than most I have tried.

We have had snow of some sort on the ground here for 3 weeks. So Feeling that this winter may be one of those old fashioned Adirondack winters. I pulled the trigger.

With Saranac Lake forecasting an overnight low of +1 tonight. I'm feeling pretty smug in my decision. Ironically as I'm typing the snow plow is going by. 3rd time since 04:00.
    https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/saranac-lake-ny/12983/weather-forecast/339761

If my gloves don't self destruct. I usually help them. Flying embers, hot coals, flames, heavy use of a chain saw, axe work, plowing, shoveling, drunken debauchery, all conspire to destroy my gloves before many other folk's even show signs of wear.

My wife actually jokes about ordering or buying two or three pairs at a time. To get me through the winter.

For straight up work gloves. Reminiscent of the D3As. I have had good luck with J.K. Dukes gloves from the Glove Wagon. But they don't cut it when the Mercury disappears.

I read the reviews of Hestra Gloves. Many folks are saying they get years and years out of them. So if I can get 3 or maybe 4 years out of a pair. I'd be ecstatic.

Time will tell. But I have high hopes.

Yes these gloves were expensive. Although I found ordering them through Ray Mears was considerably cheaper than I could source them here. Like 30% cheaper. Even with shipping and the exchange rate.

I will update here with initial thoughts and concerns upon their arrival. And offer some additional feedback as the winter progresses.

It is my sincere hope that come spring. I will be able to say I will update you agin next winter.

LV,

2. Leatherneck

Leatherneck Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Have you ever tried the Kinco ski glove? You can get them for approximately $20 off Amazon. I put wax on mine and I thought they were fantastic for the price. Kevlar stitching and double palms and finger pads. Skiers rave about them for the price.
    You should check them out too. One of the best price to performance deals I felt I've ever gotten.

https://www.exploringtherockies.com/2014/02/21/ski-gloves-flylow-vs-kinco/

Kreger, Ptpalpha and LostViking like this.
  3. NaptownLarry

NaptownLarry Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm glad you mentioned that Hestra Falt Guide gloves have "wool" liners. I was about to pull the trigger on these too before winter gets here BUT...

I start to itch if I just walk into a room where there's a wool blanket... I've never been able to tolerate wool anywhere near my skin.

I'll have to see if they have other liner alternatives, otherwise Hestra's will have to come off my wish list.

crewhead05 likes this.
  4. Youcantreadinthedark

Youcantreadinthedark Amphibian. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've got a pair of Hestras (not these Guides, but a lighter-duty pair) and they're the last gloves I'll buy. Excellent materials and fit. (I would say "workmanship" too, but that would imply that I know anything at all about building gloves, which I don't.)

Please keep us updated, I'm keen to see how they hold up to real world use.

J. Pierce, LostViking and crewhead05 like this.
  5. crewhead05

crewhead05 caffeine, nicotine, knives and nature. Lifetime Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    +1 on Hestra, they really are hard to beat

J. Pierce and LostViking like this.
  6. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    elk skin ropers w/ SmartWool liners

i get the ropers at reputable western wear stores and or farm stores($20-$40±)

elk skin is what folks down here use to build barbed wire fences

the combination is what i went to when i was still ADV M/C riding when the temps drop'd below freezing @ 70mphIserious wind chill)

for waterproofing i would simply use mink oil like rubbing hand cream into my bare hands

crewhead05 likes this.
  7. seasonofthewoods

seasonofthewoods Lost In the Woods Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Love my falt guide glove. After 2 seasons and lots of use. They are still going very strong!

Ptpalpha and LostViking like this.
  8. JoeJ

JoeJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Maybe look at the Altai Skis brand glove, they don’t have a removable liner but probably don’t need one. They’re heavy duty and plenty warm if active. Shoveling snow in minus 10 below the hands were warm. Just walking behind a snowblower at minus 5 or 10 degrees they were warm. Handling firewood in the winter they were warm. I have no complaints, except for size, as I take XL or XXL depending on the make. The biggest offered is XL and they were tight. I had to force a round plastic bottle in them for a week to stretch them some for a decent fit.

Now if you’re just going to be sitting on a stool outside in minus 20 degrees ice fishing, I would recommend choppers with an insert or two consisting of wool, as I’ve never found a finger glove appropriate for that activity unless you have chemical heaters and keep your fingers balled up in the palm area of the glove - at least that's what I had to do in weather like that Lake Trout fishing in late January.

All these “premium” leather gloves are a tad expensive.

9. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    As much as I wanted to pull the trigger on a pair of the Hestras, my budget won't allow it right now so instead I'm taking your advice in the op and picking up a pair of the Marmot work gloves tonight.
    I'll likely also get a pair of merino wool liners for my uninsulated ropers while I'm at it.
    Damn those Hestras look great. Definitely on my list.

10. Ptpalpha

Blog Posts:
    Bought the Marmot work gloves, but also tried on the Hestras to figure out my size (you know, just in case...).
    The Marmots are good, solid gloves that will be fine once they're waxed.
    The Hestras are flat out awesome. Build quality is the best I've seen for leather gloves, comfort and fit were top notch.
    Definitely going to be getting a pair asap.

LostViking likes this.
  11. mikaelmazz

mikaelmazz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I use unlined kinco leather gloves with fox river knit wool gloves as liners and when it's too cold for them I switch to swedish surplus mitts with felted wool liners that I knit. Knicos are good quality and they last me usually one winter on the farm before I wear holes in the finger tips of my right hand. The liners last a couple seasons as long as you dont use them without the leather gloves. I am thinking of getting kinco unlined leather mitts and sewing gauntlets on them to use with my felted wool mitts as a cheap work mitt.

Hestra also makes unlined leather gloves for 15 bucks. I might have to get a pair and see if they are any better than the Kincos which I get for 12 bucks. Hestra quality for cheap would be nice.

I bet the falt gloves will last a long time if you only use them for bushcraft but gloves for day to day use are sacrificial so they must be cheap.

Attached Files:

LostViking likes this.
  12. Ptpalpha

Blog Posts:
    @mikaelmazz , can you post a link to the unlined Hestras? I can't find them anywhere.
    Thanks!

Jean likes this.
  13. mikaelmazz

mikaelmazz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ptpalpha likes this.
  14. woodsranger

woodsranger Solitude Seeker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lumpskie and Ptpalpha like this.
  15. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    as another lower price alternative- check Black Diamond's Kingpin gloves- slight gauntlet length, goat skin and lined with a mid weight fleece

can be found on sale for $35-ish (or less occasionally)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  16. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
  17. Ptpalpha

Blog Posts:
    I ended up getting these, as they were 30% off and I had some Moosejaw bucks to bring the price down to $50 shipped over the Thanksgiving weekend:
    IMG_20181202_182541.jpg

Initial review is that I like them a lot, but until we get some actual winter weather here the jury is still out.
    ETA: the goatskin leather is what finally made me pull the trigger, despite the fact that I didn't want black.

Lumpskie and mtwarden like this.
  18. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    ^ they look warm :)

Ptpalpha likes this.
  19. vdeal

vdeal Guide

Blog Posts:
    Wow! Those Hestra Fält's are $155. :11: That's pretty steep. I'll wait to hear a review but they do look nice. The Altai one are $60 which is manageable. Elkskin with fleece insert. I believe some time back there was a post by @Cro about treating a pair of leather gloves with Montana Pitch Blend for wet/winter use. I have those gloves but have never treated them. Might be an option for the Altai's.

20. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    the Altai gloves (made by Churchill out of Washington) get really good reviews from the backcountry ski folks; as do the Kingpins I have

the Kingpins come with a packet of Nikwax leatherproofing that works pretty well- same stuff I use on some of my boots

21. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Another option is moose hide choppers with liners.

I have some Black diamond gloves that are pretty good and quite durable, but my extreme cold weather gloves are Henry's Shoe Repair moosehide choppers with his woolen liners plus a thin 5 finger glove for when I need to touch cold stuff with fingers.

only thing missing from the Henrys choppers are a loop on each glove to tie a keeper cord.

3ED5B01D-E9AD-4816-852D-3CE3F5E46894.jpeg 3F188520-2FCC-4D57-B117-4E22AFF9BBCB.jpeg

rsnurkle likes this.
  22. Ptpalpha

Blog Posts:
    I reached out to Henry's last month to see if I could buy a pair of choppers without the moose embossed on the back.
    No response.
    I know it's a small outfit, but seriously how much effort does it take for a quick "yes" or "no" response?
    Soured me on the place, but then I'm a sensitive, delicate flower with feelings easily bruised.

operatord and Kreger like this.
  23. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Henrys makes nice mittens but they are a very small shop.

i ordered, sent payment, and they called me and said prices went up but they did not have time to change web site info.

I think they are a very small business and so i am happy to give them a lot of slack.

besides, the moose embossing is cool!

Ptpalpha likes this.
  24. LostViking

Blog Posts:
  25. LostViking

Blog Posts:
    Update on the Hestra Lars Fält Gloves.

They arrived in a timely fashion from across the pond. And approximately 1/3rd cheaper than I could source them here even with shipping factored in. Cheers to Ray Mears!

Construction and fit & finish is the best I've seen. Not a loose thread to be found. All the stitching is straight and precise. He leather looks to have been chosen well. No major or even minor flaws stand out.

I followed the Hestra sizing guide. The fit is just slightly on the snug side. But being the components making up the glove are leather and wool. I'm sure they will loosen a bit as they break in. That should make them about perfect fit wise.

***Fit disclaimer;
    I wasn't too worried about the fit. I followed the Hestra Sizing recommendations. Hedging my bets just a bit. I knew if they ran small, the bride would have gotten them as an additional Christmas present. And I would have sourced a larger pair for myself.

So far so good. But I have been breaking them in slowly. Haven't even treated them yet.

Part of the reason I went this route is the interchangeable/replaceable wool liners. Once I'm sure I really like the gloves. I will be ordering a second pair of liners. This will allow cleaning or just swapping out of a dry pair for a damp pair.

The very first thing that leaps to mind is, they are safer around an open fire. My Marmot Exum Guide gloves have a lot of nylon. As do my Air Force Intermediate Cold Weather Gloves. Nylon and sparks don't mix well. Perhaps not a real safety concern. But who wants gloves pock marked with a bunch of melt holes.

More as time and use progresses.
    LV

Kurt992, mtrunr and mtwarden like this.
  26. mtrunr

mtrunr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Got a pair for Christmas...also breaking them in slowly. Have a few reservations but it’s way too early to judge them.

27. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Those Hestra Lars Falt gloves look very nice.

Did you see the 12 euro Swedish army surplus leather over-mitten at Ray Mears? Those are calling my name!

28. Ptpalpha

Blog Posts:
    I got the Hestra All-Mountain 3-finger mitts last month and I have to say that they're by far the best cold weather gloves/mitt I've ever used.
    I hesitated to spend the money, but I'm convinced now. The guide gloves are next.

LostViking likes this.
  29. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
  30. RobbieinME

RobbieinME Scout

Blog Posts:
    I bought a pair last year. i normally can't wear gloves in the winter and have to wear mittens. Not sure why these are different, just a wool liner glove, but I've been able to use them down into single digit F. I haven't been able to source the liner seperately yet.

31. Kurt992

Kurt992 Guide Lifetime Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    If you happen to live near a Scheels store, they are clearancing all of thier gloves. These were 2 small for me, but someone will get a great deal. These were the only Hestras left on the rack.
    C2CBC2DC-339D-4F7A-9C40-EDF3AD7E8E6E.jpeg 14362FFB-FA7A-4FFA-BD9F-16EE16D3C403.jpeg