Hey Louisiana Bushcrafters the state forum has been too quiet

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by swamprat, Dec 10, 2012.

1. swamprat

swamprat Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have been swamped with work and family, but I did get to go deer hunting three times and put a doe in the freezer. I onow Seeker managed to put a deer in the freezer too. What have y'all been doing?

2. Thunderwood

Thunderwood Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not much really.... I had a campout with some of the young men at Church last month. Over the thanksgiving holiday I went deer hunting twice, tracked a coyote my dad shot, and went hiking at Cheaha State Park, AL.

On a different note, I wont be in Lousiana after Friday. I have an opportunity with my job back in AL and i took it. We will be passing through here alot though...my wife has family here so we frequent the Alexandria area.

3. swamprat

swamprat Guide

Blog Posts:
    Good luck with your job. I bet there are some BCUSA members in AL you can hook up with.

4. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Great news Thunderwood. And we're really not all that far away. iirc, you were visiting your wife's family when we first met at the hammock hang/bushcraft gathering anyway.

I've been busy finishing my Master's degree... turned my last paper in Saturday and I officially graduate on Friday (not going. 3 hours to Baton Rouge, 3 hours back, or stay overnight.) I've cranked out 3 courses in the last 6 months.

Bushcraft-wise, i've been doing a lot of hunting (found 1x, a small 6pt buck). Been working 9 hour days to save up so i can take a couple afternoons off, mid-week, and have enjoyed that, especially today. Saw three does cross the road as i was driving in to my lease. Heard a couple come close (always on the wrong side of the tree!) and thought I saw one, but the brush was too thick and i was not able to move slowly enough, turning around in a climbing stand, to get a good shot off. ended up scaring them both off.

I found a used sewing machine a few months back, and finally got a heavy duty needle and some decent thread for outdoorsy stuff. also found a couple yards of beige/tan cotton duck. and i finally figured out the newer metal bobbins are worthless. the old metal ones are awesome, and the new plastic ones run smoothly as well... but the new ones don't slide i guess... kept breaking the bottom thread. i've made a 15-pocket tool roll for my leather-working tools, a bag for one of my pots (to keep the soot off my other stuff). Also made some repairs to that german backpack. some of the pocket flaps were coming loose.

Will be working on a pocket for my climbing stand too... i hate having to hang my calls and binos off my neck (they rub, and they bang on my rifle when i go to fire it), and i can't get into the side pockets in the seat that easily. would like to make a little bag to hang off the front rail that will hold my binos, watch, calls, snacks, and book.

Got a chance to go out all day Monday, for work, doing what we call a "box recon" ("the box" is the Fort Polk training area), which is checking to make sure all the villages are still how we planners think they are, and adjusting our sketches according to the changes we found. While out, I found about 8 good pieces of low-quality flint. it's grey, not black, but it will strike a spark off a steel.

My last thing is that i'm looking at buying an ATV, hopefully in a few weeks, but i'm not really in a hurry. Would like a Honda Rancher (vs the larger Foreman), but a friend of a friend has an older Yamaha? Grizzley (660?). I'll look at it soon, and if it works out great, if not, that's ok too. Deer season ends in about a month, and there will be plenty for sale after that.

That's pretty much it.

SwampRat, you mentioned the Woodsmoke event in a text awhile back. What's up?

5. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Here's some pictures. The leather tool roll is on the left, the cook pot bag is on the right. The anorak i just made today out of a polish wool blanket. wish i'd made it just a tad wider, but it's good. the sleeve openings are lined with fleece. the neck opening is lined with grosgrain ribbon. i didn't add a hood because it's usually warm down here, even in Jan (when this thing might get some use). I may figure out how to make it detachable. the pocket is pretty crooked because i had a hard time hemming the piece before sewing it to the body (standard sewing machine foot barely lifts high enough to do it.) I may yet add some belt loops to it, but i've got to think about that first.

View attachment 59431 View attachment 59432

6. KajunKat

KajunKat Guide

Blog Posts:
    Seeker, look at you all crafty

We have been busy here also. I have worked a ton of overtime this year and haven't been out as much as I want to. I got a recurve awhile back and then got one for the oldest boy. We have been taking them out and the genesis bows and doing some stump shooting. Great fun, everyone seems to enjoy it. I am still trying to get the hang of it. A couple of arrows will make Fred Bear smile and then the next couple will make everyone else laugh. Made a plains style quiver for it out of some leather we harvested off of a old couch. Come to find out the leather had been out to long and as soon as I put any stress on it it ripped. I think it had dry rotted. Oh well, learning experience.
    Only been small game hunting only so far. I am hoping to put one of the kids on one at my dad's place in MS over Christmas. They usually don't come to his place until late in the year after all the browse in the woods is mostly gone and the rye grass has grown up.

7. DSonnier

DSonnier Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've been extremely busy with work. Changing to a different company at the end of January. Stay in the woods between keeping the wife happy and keeping the rest of the family happy by getting me to go to all the holiday get togethers.

A little 6 pt I killed a few weeks ago.
    [​IMG]

Decided to try doing my first skull mount.
    [​IMG]

Picked up a bigger motor for my little duck boat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    An update on my anorak... I made it a little too narrow, maybe 26" wide instead of 33" or so... i'm stuck with that, unless i add some fabric to the sides, but i did slit the neckhole a little deeper and added some antler toggles. here's a couple updated pics. The 2nd is just a closeup of the toggles... antler tips on some waxed cord, paracord loops, and some brown fabric over it to look nice. oh, and i fixed that crooked pocket. it was driving me nuts.

View attachment 61412

View attachment 61413

9. NELABushman

NELABushman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Work has kept me swamped. Trying to get the ok from the local land owner to try n trap some nutria down in the river bottoms tho. Haven't been bush bumming a lot, mostly been tinkering with my guns n adding accessories etc etc. Hopefully I'll actually have some time soon for my self, but the wy it's looking its gonna be all work n no play.

-Dave-
    Dia Leat.