Hidden Woodsmen Haversack ??

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags & Pouches' started by Jayph, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Jayph

Jayph Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I ordered a Hidden Woodsmen Haversack a while ago and love the thing. Just have two questions for you guys that also use it.

First- I had a Gransfors Bruk outdoor axe but just found I always used my knife and left the axe alone so I would like to change that on some outings. I want to order a Wood-Craft Pack Axe and really wanted the 24" handle but don't think that would carry nice in the haversack and should probably get the 19". I have to order online to get the axe so I thought I would ask first. What size (length) axe can you or do you carry on your haversack comfortably?

Second- I would like to carry my Pathfinder bottle/cup/stove/lid set on the outside for easy access and free up some room. What is my best option for pouches that hold that combo and fit the side of the haversack? I have the one that is big and bulky that has the zippered pouch on it aswell. However I was hoping for just a bottle holder to keep weight and size down as I don't need the padding or extra storage on the bottle holder (I'll just fill it with things I don't need lol). I found this one for an idea but worried about durability In the brush ect.

https://www.goruck.com/molle-mesh-water-bottle-pocket/

Thanks to anybody that takes the time to help out.

Jason

Turtle Creek, M.Hatfield and MrFixIt like this.
  2. SpookyPistolero

SpookyPistolero Slow learner Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This does not address your question, but before making purchases, have you carried that much weight on a haversack before? A boys axe and a full stainless canteen & mess kit plus miscellaneous gear can be a tall order for shoulder carry, also noting it's not padded.

3. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have added some extra gear to make my Hidden Woodsmen Haversack work for more gear. The best addition I can recommend is a 2 inch wide shoulder pad of some sort.

beestokk, Turtle Creek and Jayph like this.
  4. Jayph

Jayph Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I don't have an issue for the shoulder carry, My problem is Iam built goofy at 6'7" with a 25 1/2" torso and 24" wide shoulders so smaller backpacks are both really uncomfortable and hard to get on and off. I do have a Mystery Ranch pack that cost me about 4 times more than I ever said I would spend on a pack but it is fitted to me and my size so worth it in the end. However it is Large and full of all my gear, so awkward for day trips and exploring from camp. So I keep my Haversack loaded up ready to go in the Pack for this purpose. I have carried it for full day trips 10-12 hours with no issues with gear and Water just not with a larger axe. That was the reason for the question before the purchase, cause if the general consensus is that a larger axe 18"-24" just doesn't work well in this haversack I will get the 24" axe I want and get a Canvas axe sling and carry it with the Haversack as a pair.

As far as pads go I don't currently have one but I am waiting to hear back from Raging River Trading to see if they would sell theres separately I also found one in the Kifaru discount section that I am considering if they won't. I never felt it needed one but I have never been apposed to extra comfort.

Thanks for helping out
    Jason

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Turtle Creek likes this.
  5. Jayph

Jayph Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I am waiting to hear back on one option and have found another if that falls through.

Thanks for helping out

Jason

Turtle Creek and M.Hatfield like this.
  6. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Happy to help. I think the strap pad I have is from Maxpedition or a place called Zulu Nylon Gear.

My config has that strap pad, an insulated bottle pocket, and a dump pouch for tinder or other bulky items. I never get the entire system too heavy but the strap pad keeps me comfy.

beestokk, Turtle Creek and Jayph like this.
  7. XD_Dawg

XD_Dawg Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I agree on the strap pad. I have a maxpedition on my HW haversack and I like it much better than the stock strap. I also have a condor bottle carrier and a condor dump pouch on mine.

8. The Woodsrunner

The Woodsrunner Possum Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Look at the non-mesh GoRuck bottle holder. GoRuck is extremely top notch in quality, design, customer service, etc.

M.Hatfield likes this.
  9. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Guide

Blog Posts:
    A few thoughts for you.... I LOVE my HW Haversack! My problem is that no matter what im carrying, i fill it to the brim lol. I definitely agree that its not comfortable to carry without a pad for the strap. I tried carrying my boys axe (28in) behind the haversack but it was way too long and felt very awkward. Keep in mind that my axe is 4 inches longer than the one you want plus im 5'8 so it may not be that bad for you...I carry my CRKT Chogan hawk and think its perfect (its around 19" but only 2 lbs)

As for Pathfinder Bottle...Does ur haversack have the molle on the sides? I think they have a water bottle pouch specifically for your bottle kit. You may want to take a few things into consideration though along with a few options...the bottle kit could be attached to the side of the haversack (if u have molle webbing) but may eant to attach something to the other side so it carries more balanced...Or you could put the kit (without big oversized pouch...perhaps in a thin stuff sack) inside the bag and smaller/lighter items in the side pouch/pouches to keep it balanced. Or what I do sometimes is connect a shoulder strap to my Maxpedition 10x4 bottle pouch (very similar to the PF bottle kit pouch) and sling that over me on the opposite side of my body that the haversack is riding on.... just my thoughts

M.Hatfield and beestokk like this.
  10. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Good suggestions from others here. Especially using the Pathfinder pouch you already own and sling it over the opposite shoulder. It will attach to the side of your haversack, but with that much weight will make it hang unbalanced. I also agree that the axe you are considering is too large for the haversack. If considering Gransfors Bruk axes, I would say the largest I would want on it is the Wildlife hatchet or any other standard hatchet with about a 13" handle. The outdoor axe you already own is very ideal as it is very lightweight. Anything bigger than a 13" hatchet you might want to get the sling, or just really look into other options for a backpack. For me the haversack only works for shorter hikes and being *very* careful with weight. Basically what that means before I start it needs to feel very light as after an hour it will feel more bothersome. I do not get that feeling with a good small pack such as HPG Tarahumara which holds a bit more than the haversack. I've worn that pack for most of the day, four days in a row at my sons scout camp. That's reason enough for me to own one right there and I bought him one as well.

M.Hatfield and beestokk like this.
  11. JGB

JGB NO SIGNAL Supporter

Blog Posts:
    AdirondackBadger and M.Hatfield like this.