High value "scout" rifle considerations and advice.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by THRsucks, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Swampyankee101

Swampyankee101 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Seconday to a scout. I have been toying with this idea. A Ruger 77, .357 with a 1x4 circle X reticle scope. Anything from squirrel to deer, plus any unwanted guests.

2. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg I decided it was too handy with irons to scope...
    Out to 150 yds or so, it is extremely effective with 158 gr soft points.

ezra

Park Swan, Plainsman, azmike9 and 9 others like this.
  3. Swampyankee101

Swampyankee101 Scout

Blog Posts:
    erza45. how is it with 125grainers? Every try.

alukban likes this.
  4. ezra45

Blog Posts:
    Swampyankee,
    Nope, haven't tried them. I have shot hard cast 158s , JSP 158s, and JSP 180s. The 180s are reasonably accurate to 150 yards but I prefer the 158s.
    I am going to make 1 change in the gun and that is to get the receiver sight/ front sight combo from NEC. I believe they will be a worthwhile improvement over the Ruger factory sights.

Regards,

ezra

5. brionic

brionic Blissful simpleton Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    ezra45 and alukban like this.
  6. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    They need to do this to the Ruger American and price it at $350.

alukban and Primordial like this.
  7. oldpinecricker

oldpinecricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    How bout pricing it at $400-$425 and use the GSR trigger guard and mags.

alukban and XMP like this.
  8. ezra45

Blog Posts:
    Thanks brionic,
    I am printing that out now.
    What made me buy this over the .44/77 was the ballistic comparison between the .357/carbine combo with the 158gr bullets vs. the .30-30 with 150 gr bullets at 100 yds...
    .30-30 is one of my favorite cartridges for anything up to black bear and having the ability to duplicate that at reasonable distance with a det. mag-fed bolt gun with a straight-wall pistol cartridge won me over. The ability to easily mount a scope didn't hurt either.
    I have had this in the back of my safe for a while now but a pig hunt at a friends ranch in Texas is coming up...

ezra

9. blake g49

blake g49 Scout

Blog Posts:
    The Steyr is as inexpensive as it's ever been. I've been through the gamut of DIY scouts, the Savage, the Ruger GSR and finally bit the bullet this summer on the Steyr. They were were $1499 USD (down from the original $2800 when they hit the market in 1998, back when I had a young family and was earning the Queen's shilling). I sold one of my 3 HK P7's and made a killing on it so I bought the Steyr. It cost me $2100 CDN with shipping and exchange by the time I got it to the door and I had enough left from the pistol sale to put an optic on it. I have some eye issues so the EER optic doesn't work for me and I went with a Leupold VX3i in 1.5-5x.

After I rough zero'd at 25m I moved to the 100m bench and the first 3 rds I fired for group went into 3/4" with two shots going through essentially the same hole, just off enough that you could tell it was two rounds. This was with cheap W-W 150 gr SP that I have scads of - it shot at least as well with Federal 165 gr TBBC that I also have a decent supply of.

You certainly get what you pay for and I for one couldn't be happier. I intend to have this one with me when they push my burning long-boat out to sea on my final journey to Valhalla...

10. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    You have my favorite rifle!!

alukban and ezra45 like this.
  11. brionic

brionic Blissful simpleton Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Good call! it's stunning how much the P7s have escalated in value. Mine is not for sale.

You have fine taste in weapons.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    blake g49 and alukban like this.
  12. Squirrelhunter

Squirrelhunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice rifle - might be worth trying out a peep sight of some sort too - in general, and unless you have really good eyes, I find a peep of some sort markedly superior to standard 'irons.'

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~

ezra45 and alukban like this.
  13. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I see them occasionally for under $1200. If I bite on a Scout rifle, it will be the Steyr :)

14. blake g49

blake g49 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would be VERY surprised if you were to be disappointed...

alukban likes this.
  15. mtwarden

Blog Posts:

me too, my wife...... :4:

16. oldpinecricker

Blog Posts:
    I can see you with an Steyr Scout in my minds eye.

mtwarden and alukban like this.
  17. Howie

Howie Guide Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    20171205_205001.jpg

Dont overlook the mossberg patriot. Same action as the patrol/scout/ After lots of research in factory rifle offerings, None are specifically perfect, But this one offers the most out of the box performance to me. at the lowest initial cost. Its in its final stage of work and off to the 'smith to get the barrel cut, skinner sights and threading. One super inmportant feature for me is the ability to top load directly into the detach mag. I do like my artic mags in my 700 conversions and the GSR, But they cannot be top loaded. The mossberg scout mount is almost a direct fit, Im still trying to figure out the last two barrel screws with a spacer...( four of the six fit)

Granite mountain tactical with some of the folks over on the scout rifle forum came up with the idea of using this model. They have called it the RECON, I would agree in a semi custom nothing beats it with a substantial $$ less than most of the factory offerings.

Another variation that is also taking a good run is another from richard mann the CUR rifle concept. Very similar to the Cooper scout but with less strictness on specifications like world wide compatibility and more suited for local conditions.

A used patriot or even a 4x4 or atr, (100-200.00ish) and about 350 in smithwork and parts, Whats going to beat it in "scout" world of rifles. I did leave out optics because there is just too much variables in this area to even think about...

ak15-t, cek, alukban and 2 others like this.
  18. SlayerOfBunnies

SlayerOfBunnies Guide

Blog Posts:
    They are great until they malfunction. My GSR comes apart with a press of a lever. When my lever gun chokes, I need screwdrivers, punches, videos and time to fix the thing.

azmike9 and alukban like this.
  19. blake g49

blake g49 Scout

Blog Posts:
    My minds eye needs adult supervision...

WILL, mtwarden and alukban like this.
  20. ra2bach

ra2bach Guide

Blog Posts:
    yeah, I just meant suitable for a scout scope.

if you want a real simple to disassemble gun for this class, try one of the Ruger Minis - use a cartridge to unlatch the trigger guard, pull the trigger assembly out and the barrelled action can be removed from the stock. then the entire op rod/bolt assembly can be removed.

nothin' simpler...

21. oldpinecricker

Blog Posts:
    I love leverguns but I agree the GSR is another notch of simplicity and even reliability.

I would even go so far as to promote the Mauser 98 which the GSR is patterned after is simpler yet, at least in tearing down the bolt afield.

When I was young I didn't get the whole Mauser 98 feed/extract design and simplicity of design and also it's robustness. Now that I get it I'm a convert.

Still the GSR is a really handy rifle and I appreciate its Mauser roots and that it's even made left handed for folks like me.

22. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    blake g49, ezra45 and alukban like this.
  23. coalsmoke

coalsmoke Scout

Blog Posts:
    My slightly modified Ruger American in 308.

IMG_20171111_192756748.jpg

ak15-t, WILL, Paul Foreman and 3 others like this.
  24. ra2bach

ra2bach Guide

Blog Posts:
    ezra45 and mtwarden like this.
  25. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    I figure I could sell my Tacoma, then...... :4:

ezra45 and ra2bach like this.
  26. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    well of course Steyr has a $100 rebate on the Scout until the end of the year :rolleyes:

Primordial likes this.
  27. slowtaknow

slowtaknow Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Cough cough marlin 30-30

Park Swan and Primordial like this.
  28. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    nifty RAR, coalsmoke ...

29. coalsmoke

coalsmoke Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you sir!

I'm liking it!

IMG_20171209_135917021.jpg

30. YacoltWose

YacoltWose Scout

Blog Posts:
    Southwest Washington (formerly known as ORWose)
  31. coalsmoke

coalsmoke Scout

Blog Posts:
    Bushnell TRS-25. I went cheap. I got kids to feed.

They are very highly reviewed and it seems great so far.

Plainsman, WILL and alukban like this.
  32. badasp118

badasp118 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm just the opposite, I want to get rid of my green laminate factory ruger GSR stock and get a synthetic. I didn't even know they had it out in 6.5. Very nice!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  33. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    well I got to put my mitts on a Steyr Scout; I was pretty impressed with the rifle overall, but looking at all my options and what makes the most sense for an "all around" rifle for me- I think I might go another route.

enter the "Dark Mountain" rifle, I had to come up with a catchy name for it :4:

I'm going to try and keep as much Scout dna as possible, but mold into something that makes more sense for me.

action- bolt, of course :)

caliber- I will stick with the .308, I have a lot of hands on experience with the .308- we carried M14's for a duty rifle and I also owned a Remington LTR in .308 that I put through it's paces at several long range schools and also for hunting deer and antelope on the plains of Eastern Montana

detachable box magazine- check

overall length one meter or less (39.4")-check

weight 3 kilos (6 lbs 9 oz) or less- check (or damn near check :))

iron sights-check

forward mounted optic- I don't think so; but it will be topped with a quality, lightweight, low powered variable scope w/ quick release rings

I believe I just might spring for a Kimber Hunter in .308; I owned a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 for a short time that I was very impressed with

it comes with a 22" barrel, I'll have that shortened and crowned to 19", which should put it right at 39.25"

from the factory it weighs a pretty svelte 5 lbs 6 oz, 3" less of barrel will shed a few more ounces

whoever does the barrel I'll have mount a front sight with something relatively high vis

rear sight probably a Brockman popup

optic- leaning towards a Leupold 1-6x24, but still need to look at some others

my thought is this would be a nice rifle for a multi-day backpack hunt, hunting dense timber (dark mountains! :)) and just a nice all around rifle

34. YacoltWose

YacoltWose Scout

Blog Posts:
    Southwest Washington (formerly known as ORWose)
    Makes sense to me dude. I've had my eye on those for a while, and will probably try one. Since I'm not planning to fast rope rope out of a Blackhawk and whack tangos with it, it should be fine.

Plainsman likes this.
  35. coalsmoke

coalsmoke Scout

Blog Posts:

The Steyr is supposed to be great. My Lord they are ugly. I could not carry one.

You are on track for an epic build with the Kimber. Everything you need and nothing you don't. Don't forget to post pics when you start.

mtwarden likes this.
  36. WILL

WILL Scout

Blog Posts:
    I suspect this is one of those things where you have a concept or ideal in mind that you're going after despite what conventional thought says. Sort of like why we bush-craft instead of stay in a hotel.

If you were looking at it purely from a performance perspective, the AR platform is the way to go. So I agree 100% with Medic 17 from that viewpoint. As far as your concern on how an AR would do in dirty conditions....

Since you want a low profile woods gun for Wisconsin, I'd suggest a lever action. IMHO, it will do everything you want (except 500 yard hunting, which I don't really see as realistic for me) in a much cheaper, super handy, proven and very low profile package. Put a red dot or scope on it if you feel the need. I love my lever for its nostalgic, utilitarian and rugged qualities. It just gets the job done, and looks classy doing it.

Sounds like you're after a bolt rifle with iron sights though. The iron sight are what make you search tough. There's relatively few options, and they tend to be pricey. If that's what will make you happy, go for it.

As far as the scope and caliber selection, I settled on .308 and the Primary Arms 1x8 ACSS. The .308 because it's cheaper, more available and has alot of military scope options dialed in exactly for it. That's why the Primary Arms scope and other ACSS/ BDC reticle options will work exactly for this caliber. I believe Eotech makes a BDC red dot that works for 5.56 and .308 that would work with your scout concept. Not so much with 6.5 and other sporting calibers. I like the 1x8 option as it's handy for a close range woods gun, but can still reach out if necessary.

I'm kind of talking out my but, because I have yet to put together my set up, but that's where I'm at right now. Here I am working through that process....

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/spr-308-scope-recommendations.211075/page-2#post-3611822

PS- Your avatar is creepy. Like a Satan worshiping style of creepy LOL.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Park Swan and ezra45 like this.
  37. feellnfroggy

feellnfroggy Guide

Blog Posts:

IMO, sporterized Enfield .303 or Mosin 7.62 something like that. Take a dead realiable rifle, cut the ridiculous wooden stock down, float the barrel, cut the barrel down to managable length based on your terrain, and lighten it up as much as possible, without sacrificing too much accuracy (some is inevitable) Put the most badass optics on that rifle that you can afford, and you are set my friend.

38. RobbieinME

RobbieinME Scout

Blog Posts:
    My understanding of a scout rifle is a PDW for one man on foot in a wilderness area . That is why handiness and weight are critical. I never considered it a hunting or infantry (working as a fire team/squad) weapon. I started with a Mohawk 600 with williams peep. When a extended eye relief mount and scope by Burris became available around 1990 I had those mounted. Based on some stuff written by Randy Cain on an old forum I bought a pre 64 M70 LWT in 308. I topped it with a conventional scope 1.75-6x. Genneraly referred to as a "practical rifle"meaning general purpose I guess. Not as light and handy as the Mohawk. Recently picked up a lightly used Styer. The handiness and ergonomics of the SS are great. The 5 rd DBM works well and is flush. Its what I would take if I was going on a scout in a wilderness are on foot alone.

ak15-t, blake g49 and Plainsman like this.
  39. geojag

geojag Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had planned to but a Ruger GSR, I was waiting until I could afford one. I stopped in a local shop for shells one day and they had a lightly used GSR for half what I expected to pay, so I bought it. I don't have funds for the scope I want at the moment, and I was having trouble with the iron sights in low light, so I put a red dot on it. After quite a bit of shooting, I am inclined to keep the red dot (2 MOA dot) on it. I am very comfortable out to 150 yards for deer, and it is very quick to get on target. I have other rifles if long range is likely.

I figured I would come out ahead buying the GSR than customizing a different riffle even if I paid full price for a GSR. As it worked out I got the GSR for not much more than I could get an Enfield for.

I don't see a scout rifle as a do all rifle, but it can do most reasonable well. I don't think it is a gun I part with.

Plainsman, blake g49 and RobbieinME like this.
  40. geojag

geojag Scout

Blog Posts:
    Edit: delete double post