Hiking Camp stove uses

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by Mustang67ford, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Mustang67ford

Mustang67ford Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Considering getting a whisperlite camp stove for hiking. Pretty pricy for something i won't use alot. I usually carry jerky, tuna, power bars etc that does not need heated. I would like to venture into use a stove. What all do you guys use your stove for? Any uses outside of hiking?

PMSteve, Bobsdock, isme and 2 others like this.
  2. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Once upon a time I worked for parks and rec and had several lunch breaks in the woods.

Bobsdock, isme, Haggis and 1 other person like this.
  3. Todd1hd

Todd1hd Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Perhaps you could consider a canister stove like an MSR pocket rocket or maybe a Snowpeak giga power. Lighter and easier to use. All stoves have pluses and minuses, but most folks use cansiter stoves instead of white gas stoves anymore. And you can always go with an alcohol stove. That being said, for a white gas stove a whisperlite is a dandy little stove.

4. rurik

rurik Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a Prinus Omifuel & Omnilight (up graded) for when I am in the snow. When I am not using them for this I use them as part of my families car camping kit. The extra simmer control is brillent for actual cooking. Also this kit forms the basis of my families emergency preparedness. Between this and my BBQ I can cook a normal meal when the power goes out.

5. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you're looking at the whisperlite, you should consider spending a few bucks on the Dragonfly. Sounds like you should give a diy alcohol stove a whirl to see if a stove is actually worth it to you first.

Bobsdock, isme, Haggis and 2 others like this.
  6. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I got two nice little gas stoves off ebay for cheap. Both in the same lot of stuff. I studied the pics and figured out that at least one of them was worth more than the lot which included two canteen cups, a canteen and belt, one of those oddball folding omelet pans and the stoves.

Stalk ebay.

I figure I have less than 15 bucks in this Markill Dragon, including the base adapter that allows the use of any canister.

[​IMG]

There are some neat little Chinese stoves now for about 15 bucks too.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Moe M., Bobsdock, Haggis and 3 others like this.
  7. Revinmama

Revinmama Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I use an MSR Pocket Rocket for all backpacking trips, lunch on many day-hiking trips, and for whatever I don't cook over camp fire on "regular" camping trips. I like the simplicity of screwing it into a fuel canister, as well as the stability it provides, plus the ability to simmer food. I also have another version of that stove that a forum member gave me, but I don't remember its name.

Marlene

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Bobsdock, NevadaBlue, Haggis and 2 others like this.
  8. Jayson

Jayson Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have an MSR Dragonfly that I use during the winter. It spends the rest of its time as part of our homes emergency prep setup.

NevadaBlue, Haggis and Todd1hd like this.
  9. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    lotsa good suggestions/potential solutions above

i might suggest KISS to begin with

simple beer can alcohol stove to be used for heating/boiling water only

w/ a french press you can have your coffee/hot tea with only boiling water

you can have hot soup from dehydrated packages that you simply pour the heated water in and let steep then eat right out of the pkg

the things burn denatured alcohol which can be had @ WallyWorld, any good paint store or big box store

they also burn a product called HEAT(yellow bottle/not red) which can be had at auto parts stores and many convenience stores that sell gas

make your own(lotsa U-Tubes show how)

or pick up one from a cottage vendor

no moving parts

one such cottage vendor stove is the WHITE BOX ALCOHOL STOVE

Unknown.jpeg

with a wind screen for under $20 to your door

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=White+Box+stove

the only potential drawback is they wont simmer

butt for a starting point they work quite well to provide coffee/tea/soups/rehydrated 1 dish meals

AND they do come in a WHITE BOX ;-)

NevadaBlue and Haggis like this.
  10. Mustang67ford

Mustang67ford Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I looked at this stove, but it seemed too bulky. Does it have a benifit i'm not seeing?

Haggis likes this.
  11. Mustang67ford

Mustang67ford Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the info. I had built the soda can stove several years ago, more of an experiment. Really, the only thing to use the stove for is for boiling water while hiking right? Otherwise, how do you do dishes per say while in the field? Also, what do you use to cook in on the stove? The stainless steel cups that fit around the nalgin bottles don't set on the whisperlite very well. Tried it at a shop the other day.

Haggis likes this.
  12. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I don't personally own of of these (I own several others stoves) but @ra2bach showed me one he owns at last years TN meet and it's amazing how small, light and effective it is... especially for the price!
    I'm not a hiker but if I was I'd definitely try one of these.

BSR Titanium
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XNLSNF...t=&hvlocphy=9013650&hvtargid=pla-391301552046

PS. You might find it cheaper somewhere else, I just grabbed the fist link I saw to one.

Nonc-Tobe, Haggis and ra2bach like this.
  13. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Use a 6" fry pan with/without handle or even the small aluminum Table Talk pie pan and 3 pieces of green wood tree limb close around stove in a triangle or upright for pan support if rocks for same are not available. Dishes are easy, a Frisbee and clean with moss, water grass or snow, clean inner side of large piece of bark works well also.

14. Mustang67ford

Mustang67ford Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm pretty much settled on a liquid stoce if i get one. Don't want to deal with canisters and cold weather performance; -6F here in PA today. Thanks for the suggestion though.

NevadaBlue, Haggis and T. Pollock like this.
  15. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Ah, I don't blame ya in those kind of temps. :dblthumb:

I do love my whisperlite.

Haggis likes this.
  16. designtom

designtom Scout

Blog Posts:
    I use and love my MSR whisperlite so much that I bought a 2nd one just in case the original 30 year old one dies. It goes out when I've got 3 or more people to help split up community gear, or I'm melting snow for drinking water.

It's also appreciated when cooking corn on the cob at a picnic.

When it's COLD out (single digits F or lower), it's a nice backup plan to ward off hypothermia if you're boot gets wet while crossing a creek.

Recently been playing a lot with the smallest wood Solo stove. (you have to like having soot over everything)

17. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:

Tim, that's exactly the one I use in my lightweight backpacking kit. it's titanium and weighs less than 1oz but it's also pretty small and not very sturdy with pots larger than the common 900ml.

I have tried just about every budget (and not so budget) canister stove out there and right now I would have to say I consider this one to be the absolute value and performance champ, even if it's not very lightweight. $11 -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006GT50EA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[​IMG]

it's made of steel and aluminum with a brass insert for the threads and a gasket in addition to the o-ring to seal the canister. it's a little heavy @ 4oz but really sturdy and will handle large heavy pots. because of the arm spacing, it's not really good with smaller diameter ones like the Stanley camp cooker though...

it is one of the 'rocket'/blow torch types and is good in windy conditions but will scorch solid foods in the center of the pot if you try to heat or fry with it. it can generate a lot of heat and boil water quickly but can also simmer really well. it's the one I keep on my desk in my office to heat ramen and make afternoon tea...

18. Haggis

Haggis Guide

Blog Posts:
    A Trangia mini 28-t is my favorite stove & cook set. It weighs 11.5 ounces, without fuel, and is as simple as they come. Everything you need for $30 or $35,,, Fuel is available nearly everywhere,,,

Not much pizazz in having one, no moving parts, nothing to master, simply enough for one fella, or a hand full of fella's eating in shifts,,,

LongAgoLEO, NevadaBlue and T. Pollock like this.
  19. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    my solution to this is to only use the stove to heat water for making coffee, tea or rehydrating foods in their protective pouches

my french press nests in my large cup which then can ride in the pan i use for the heating water(all 3 titanium and $$$)

since it is only water in the pan no washing is required

since it is only coffee or tea in the press & cup all they get is a wiping out

the pouches the food comes in get incinerated and the ashes checked for any unburned material which would be zip-locked and carried out/home

i ran some tests on my White Box Stove and found that 45cc/1 1/2oz of fuel would bring 16.9oz(store bought bottled water bottle for measuring) of water to a boil in 4.75 - 5 minutes (all ±)

45cc is about 1/2 full ± for the stove so if i were boiling filtered creek water for germ warfare i would fill the stove and burn it dry

by doing your own tests w/ your own chosen gear(stove, pan, cup , french press, and water measuring device )you can reasonably caculate your fuel needs prior to tripping

i do have several canister stoves and a SVEA-123 in my arsenal and depending on the trip may/may knot choose different gear

i did test/time a POCKET ROCKET(canister) & SVEA-123(coleman/liquid fuel) on the same afternoon using the same vessels and the Pocket Rocket took almost a minute longer while the Svae-123 took about a minute less than the White Box alcohol stove

both the Pocket Rocket and the Svea-123 had fuel left in their containers butt that amount was knot measurable w/ my primative tools on that particuar day

IMHO the alcohol stove would be your least expensive buy in for the hot drink/meal game and if you like how the warm food/drink makes you feel while tripping then consider if the additional expense and added difficulty of acquiring fuel is worth it TO YOU

REMEMBERIZE you are doing this for your own purposes and not trying to impress others on this or other forums w/ how much $$ you have/spend just what it takes for you to have an enjoyable adventure

20. RiceOnSuede

RiceOnSuede Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    If your not cooking alot, The most fail proof stove with that still works well into the negatives is the fancee feest stove. I make them myself out of the fancy feast can, a cut down aluminum beer bottle, and some fiberglass. They need no priming, and will work all year.
    Also Zelph's companion wood burner is another favorite of mine. I've melted a lot of snow with that one.
    I just swutched to a canister stove. I bought Soto's Amicus stove. Seems to be very well made and has superior wind blocking design. Had it the other weekend using it at 8*F. Gave me no problems at all, gas burned just fine, and was a heck of a lot faster than the alcohol stove I once used so much. Thinks it's when it gets below 0*F and have little fuel left is when the start to have problems burning.
    Soto's windmaster has a slightly higher output, and a fuel regulator. Not sure if that helps.
    If your looking for serious cold liquid canister type stove, then yes they are pricey.

21. RiceOnSuede

RiceOnSuede Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Forgot to mention Shug just made a video showing him use his fancee feest in -27*F flawlessly

22. ko67

ko67 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have the MSR whisper lite universal. With various adpaptors I can burn just about anything: white gas, unleaded, kerosene, diesel, isobutane, butane, and propane.
    There is a mod that I have not had time to mess with that will allow me to burn alcohol as well.

winter1857 likes this.
  23. winter1857

winter1857 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I agree wholeheartedly with this. I've had my MSR Universal for years. It can burn anything which is a great reassurance should a reliable backup cooking platform be needed in an emergency.

24. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have been using a dragonfly since they came out with the model, late 90s I believe. It is a little heavy and expensive but I have had zero problems, burning multiple fuels. It simmers which is nice and it seems to be very fuel efficient for a camp stove. My only complaint would be it is loud. Nothing like waking up a campground with the sound of a jet engine.

25. Mustang67ford

Mustang67ford Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I think i am set on buying a stove as opposed to building one although i may build the fancee feest stove just for the heck of it, looks neat. What would make the dragonfly better than the whisperlite?

26. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    If you only use the pot for boiling, then you don't have to bag it with your food for critters.

Going lite, I use a GSI kettle with a pocket rocket type stove and eat out of the bag or a plastic mug. My mug and spoon stay in my food bag.

I'm doing less of the esbit/alcohol stoves because of all the burn bans.

27. rurik

rurik Scout

Blog Posts:

Simmer control at the stove head which lets you run full pressure in the line for a more reliant flame. However I would recommend looking at the primus omnifuel or Omni Light Ti as they offer the same thing but also will take a gas canister. They come up on Massdrop pretty regularly at a good price as well

28. zelph

zelph Guide

Blog Posts:
    The Fancee Feest stove is a four season stove that works well in extreme cold conditions. Use it tailgaiting. It can be made to simmer.

VanGo and MrFixIt like this.
  29. Billswfl

Billswfl Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have the MSR Pocket Rocket and paired with a GSI Ketalist it's a compact lightweight setup. I only use it for a hot drink or boiling water for a freeze dried meal.

Bobsdock likes this.
  30. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Still going Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've got a MSR whisper lite that I've used for years. Great stove. Fully feild mattanable. Works in all tempaturrs and altitudes if I want lighter I use a MSR pocket rocket.

31. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use an old Coleman dual fuel stove for my emergency kit. It will use Coleman fuel (white gas) or unleaded gasoline.

When I go for a day trip or an overnighter, I have one of the Vargo folding stoves that uses twigs, pine cones or even charcoal bricketts. Most fuel can be found at your feet for this type of cooker. I have a Zebra pot, a long handled spoon and condiment kit that all pack nested together. I also use an aluminum Boy Scout mess kit if I want to cook something other than a one pot meal.

I will almost always simply use the campfire as a source for cooking heat.

Steve

32. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just carry my fold flat one piece $5.00 Sterno firebox in my coat, cargo pant pocket, or pack flap map sleeve, burns 4 other type fuels besides wood products, wind screen, pot/pan/cup stand, grill and reflector oven built in so no extra lose part to mess with.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    MrFixIt, LarryB and Dogrobber like this.
  33. basher1981

basher1981 Adventure is out there!!! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have an MSR pocket Rocket Knockoff from Amazon for about $10-$15 its a great little stove. I have cooked grilled cheese, made coffee, etc on it. I also have a JetBoil for backpacking too for lighter applications of dehydrated foods.

34. zelph

zelph Guide

Blog Posts:
    He likes cold weather, got to if you live in Minnesota ;-)

MrFixIt likes this.
  35. Mustang67ford

Mustang67ford Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am now debating between a svea 123 or a primus omni stove. Kind of like the older brass style svea but would get a pump for it and not sure if i would try to find an older sweden one or the newer taiwan model.

36. Back Off

Back Off Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a Jetboil flash that I seldom use and a little esbit stove I use all the time. The Jetboil comes in handy if I need to just heat water and cant use an open fire like in a boat or inside a tent. I use my cheap esbit all the time. Enough that if I was planning on upgrading it would be to a larger twig stove.

37. Red Yeti

Red Yeti Mostly Harmless Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I am a whisper lite fan. Have used them for decades in all types of situations where a fire is not feasible esp climbing above treeline.

Super reliable, compact, easily maitainable, stable no wasteful disposable fuel canister. Mine are multifuel but Ive only ever used white gas. If you want to cook, as in do more than just boil water, they are great. Pancakes, stir fry, fish in the pan etc. They simmer pretty well and run for hours longer than a Trangia. Cant say enough good stuff about the whisperlite.

I never warmed up to the canister stoves. Seems like I would always be carrying at least 2 cylinders since you can't tell how much is left in the one in use. The seem more geared to boiling water in small pots.

Back Off likes this.
  38. Foilist

Foilist Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a white gas stove (Coleman 533), a tiny cartridge stove, and a Trangia alcohol burner.They all have their place, but the Trangia gets used most frequently for st hikes and such.

VanGo likes this.
  39. VanGo

VanGo poi'-ā-mä Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Different stoves for different outings.... alchy stove for quieter, more intergrated wood time experience when time allows, msr pocket rocket with nano firebox for contingency for both... consideration easy of use, fuel source, size/weight, etc..

1CD1C08A-C8C9-4235-A130-C01E3FB5206A.jpeg

40. Detroithiker

Detroithiker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I love the old white gas stoves dating back to the early 1900's and even restore them as a hobby, I own a whisperlite and a Dragonfly from MSR but I would not reccomend a white gas to any hiker unless they need it to work below freezing.
    Canister stoves have far less moving parts and o rings to maintain.
    Canister stoves are always at least have the weight or better in most cases.
    Most of them can be purchased for between $20 & $50 and some fit in the front pocket of pants.
    The whisperlite is a good stove but I don't think it's a good fit for most hikers.
    I hope this helps.

41. Calicoast

Calicoast Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Right now until April 2nd / MSR 25% Off Sale: Whisperlite Universal $105.00

I have 2, and love them equally.

42. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    FWIW, these two are my personal favourites. I've been carrying and using them regularly for the past couple of years: my GI canteen stove with Esbit and my Primus Classic Trail canister stove. They're both pretty inexpensive, fuel is easy to find and carry, they don't take up much space in my pack, and they're simple to use. The canister stove gets finicky when them temp drops below -30c/-22f, but a good windscreen helps with that.

P3300113.JPG

43. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The esbit stove hard to beat for simplicity . Hard to find the original heat tablets without buying another stove tho. Local Army surplus just sells GI tabs which aren't nearly as hot .
    The solution is to get some Weber grill starters stocked at most hardware stores .

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018