Hiking Pants

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by Shane, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Shane

Shane Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What pants would you guys recommend for hiking/backpacking that are durable; possibly water resistant or that are quick to dry.

2. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Try using the Search... button above on the right side of your screen. There have been a few really good threads about that subject not too long ago.

3. hlydon

hlydon Scout

Blog Posts:
    I really like LA Police Gear Operator pants. You can buy them for $20-25.

4. Sean Baek

Sean Baek Boomslang Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm a big fan of North Face and Kuhl. Kuhl can be pricey but they are the most comfortable pants I've ever owned/worn. I just buy my stuff on sale in the off season. The manufacturer deals are usually really good.

5. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I really like Kuhl. I wear Kuhl pants or shorts at least 3-4 times a week.

6. Shane

Shane Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Oh i tried but nothing came up so i decided to make my own post.

7. Gruxxx

Gruxxx Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  8. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Athletic Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've always been a big fan of just wearing whatever I have.
    Usually jeans or some Duluth flex cargo pants.

But last year I finally decided I wanted something that dries faster, because I always manage to get wet no matter what time of year it is.

I found a pair of used Kuhl pants with the zip off legs so I can have shorts if I want to, and it is very rare that I ever want to.
    Probably not the fastest drying pants, but much quicker than jeans, and they are very comfortable.

Water resistant anything is just way too plasticy and sweaty for me unless I have a very specific need for it, like heavy cold rain or as a wind shell.
    But I spend most of my time in deep forests, not above the tree line in mountainous areas, so wind is not as big a concern for me as it is for some.

9. Billswfl

Billswfl Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Kuhl pants and shorts are pretty much all I wear in the woods. They make a variety of pants for all seasons, but read the reviews on their site for the best fit.

blind & lost likes this.
  10. Zunga

Zunga Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've had good results with downhill mountain biking wear. I got 15 years of hard wear out of a pair of mace for $120. I don't know if mace is still in business. But a bike shop would be worth a look.
    Cheers Jim

11. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    My favorite are Duluth cargo pants

12. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Kuhl, Gramacci, Duluth flex.
    Wanting to try the ones from LAPG next.

M.Hatfield likes this.
  13. rocketbomb

rocketbomb Guide

Blog Posts:
    Been using 5.11 taclite pro pants for quite a few years now. they are comfortable, fairly durable, and not overly expensive. hiking in jeans is just not comfortable. i have some of the lapg operator pants that i use for work and while they are ok, the 5.11 pants are well worth the added cost and are more comfortable.

14. Chris keating

Chris keating Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Fjallraven vida orobare worth every penny.

Gii shi kan dug and M.Hatfield like this.
  15. holygoat

holygoat Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You should expand your question to include:

- Where are you? On this forum the answers will default to the US, but that might be wrong.
    - What’s your body shape? If you’re skinny, Fjallraven might be the ticket. If you’re chubby or muscular, there will be other recommendations.
    - What’s your budget? I can recommend some great pants in the $150-$250 price range, but that’s no use if you’re hoping for $40.
    - What season and climate? For temperate regions out of the sun, you might be OK with polycotton or softshell pants, but in the summer inland, you might want 3-6oz nylon like Railriders.
    - What kind of capabilities? Are you ultralight backpacking (don’t care about pockets) or “outdoorsing” (maybe want cargo pockets)? Do you want zip-off legs, stretch, a gusset, pockets for knee protection? Do you want to be able to wear them out to the pub without people looking at you funny?

Me, I like my Fjallraven Kebs in the shoulder seasons, the same or OR softshell pants in the winter, and I just got some lightweight Kuiu pants for the summer. I’m excited to try them because the fit is great and they have excellent (albeit mesh) pockets. I tried Railriders, but they were way too baggy in the leg and too tight in the seat. Most pants don’t fit my glutes well. I’ve had pretty good experiences with Vertx. I don’t like the styling of Kuhl, and none of their clothes check all of the boxes for the features I want.

I’m also fond of my Prana pants, both casual and active; their mobile fit is good.

Usingmyrights, Shane and J. Pierce like this.
  16. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    YetiJack and Kreger like this.
  17. Eagle Scout

Eagle Scout Scout

Blog Posts:
    No 100% cotton
    No conversion to shorts
    Ripstop a plus
    Gusseted crotch
    Reinforced knees

I've been into the Tru-Spec Eclipse pants for a few years. Very comfortable, durable, lightweight, dry quick, and breath pretty well. Reasonably priced but limited colors.

The "cargo" pockets are unique - perfect for carrying a small saw. There are sewn-in vertical pouches inside each front pocket, perfect for a folder and flashlight. They are utility-based pants that don't look tactical. I wear them out everywhere.

Shane and Kreger like this.
  18. Vpetrell

Vpetrell Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If any of these seem to be a good pair for you, check eBay for used gear. I get lots of good hiking clothing from that place for a fraction of the price

Columbia has been a favorite of mine lately. They have fitted pants as well which is a plus for me since I’m on the skinny side.

Price point is right as well!

But there’s so many options to search. Use the questions able to better direct your search. What works for me, may not work for you.

VP

Shane, marbleman and Kreger like this.
  19. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    I am not one for name brands or expensive gear
    But i had some columbia credit to use
    Bought hiking pants and a shirt
    Am very impressed with the columbia pants comfortable durable light and quick to dry
    Not overly outdoorsy can pass for regular wear yet functional enough for offtrail hiking
    If i can part with money i would pick up more

20. Vpetrell

Vpetrell Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

That’s what I love about Columbia lately is the price for quality ratio. Some gear is just too expensive for me to justify the spend on it. But Columbia has a great quality product and they stand by their gear

21. Gii shi kan dug

Gii shi kan dug Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Falkraven Vidda pro
    Built in gaitors and quick to dry G1000 fabric
    Pricey, but watch for sales or trade blanket
    I have bought 2 pair here at BCUSA both under 85.00

22. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    I dont know much about columbia overall but waa quite impressed
    I have an old fleece jacket probably 10-20 yrs old
    Zipper broke and i figured what the heck sent it in under their warranty
    They couldnt fix it and gave me $50 credit
    Pants and shirt i got has been great
    Because i liked their product i ended up buying pair of columbia hiking shoes also a great product,
    At sale/clearance price its worth it but man some of their regular prices is way out of my price range

Shane likes this.
  23. vdeal

vdeal Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For 3 season wear I like Ex Officio zip leg pants. If it's too cold for them then I really like my Arborwear Tech pants.

24. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    +1 on this. I've never considered myself as a guy to buy used clothes, but for expensive technical gear, I have done so several times on Ebay with good luck. I've gotten 'like new' $70 pants for $20, that were perfect.

As mentioned above, there can be different fit, for different body types. Buy a couple of different things used, to try. If you really don't like it, you can put it back on Ebay.

25. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Hot weather, North Face hiking shorts. I've had good luck with them.

Shoulder seasons, something similar in a full length pant. I do have a pair with zip-off legs but never got too excited about them for some reason.

Milsurp stuff might be an option for you.

Whether shorts or long pants, I try to get stuff with cargo pockets for hiking. There's always something I want to keep on me but not in a regular pocket.

26. Tom Black

Tom Black Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Give me a pair of Levi's an I'm good to go.
    Tom Black

J. Pierce likes this.
  27. YetiJack

YetiJack Scout

Blog Posts:
  28. Cole Gray

Cole Gray Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Plus 1 for Mountain Khakis. Original mountain pants and shorts are the best. Got a pair of Chamber 107 Yeti jack suggested, good also but thinner and stretcher.

I used to wear some columbia model(can't remember the name) they made them in shorts and pants. Pockets were the same on all my shorts and pants, had like 8 pairs. All the ass pockets started to tear out in the same place. Started paying $10 more for mountain khakis. they are so much better. If you want water resistance pants you can wax the canvas on the mountain khakis.

Also you can get MK in a bunch of colors and the pockets are all in the same place.

29. to Ha

to Ha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Definitely NOT water resistant, but they do dry quickly: REI Sahara pants. I prefer the zipoff legs version.

Unless one is careless, they are very durable yet they are comfortable.

30. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have two pairs of Fjallraven's and the pants Tru-Spec came out with a better pair for 1/3 the price. I won't buy another pair from fjallraven.

Gii shi kan dug likes this.
  31. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That describes my criteria down to a T.

Eagle Scout likes this.
  32. Eagle Scout

Eagle Scout Scout

Blog Posts:
    Really don't ask much from a good pair of hiking pants, but that's my criteria after years of "research".

Would like to pick up a pair of Vida's someday to see for myself.

Have been eyeing the Tru-Spec Xpedition Pants, which can be had on the big auction site for $59 shipped.

33. Blackhillz

Blackhillz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm a big fan of the Riggs work wear from Wrangler. They have cargo pockets, reinforced knees, and if you wear them out they have a lifetime warranty.

I've returned two heavily worn pairs so far and I received new ones a few weeks later, no questions asked, only work on my end was to print the label they sent me and toss them in a box and mail them off. Not bad for a $30-35 pair of pants.

34. clueless on the delaware

clueless on the delaware Scout

Blog Posts:
    Dickies may to september, woolrich strait leg wools october to april.

35. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm in Maine so it's an easy answer, warm weather Dickies kahkis either sawed off or long leg for coolness and quick dry and for cool/damp weather new surplus Belgian Army combat pants $19.95 from keepshooting.com-check the reviews.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018 at 10:39 AM
  36. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    For just straight hiking/backpacking/canoeing, I like a pair of really lightweight ripstop quickdry nylon ones, maybe even with the fancy zip off legs. There are cheapie ones with patch pockets (vs real, deep, pocket pockets) for $30, and the better ones (perhaps by Columbia, TNF, etc) for $80-$100. I prefer the real pockets... patch pockets are cheaper to make, but irritating as all heck to walk in with a pocketful of knife, chapstick, compass, whistle, and lighter.

For hunting and bushwhacky stuff, I like a pair of heavier poly/cotton based ripstop pants, similar to the Vietnam-era jungle fatigues, 80s-era Summer BDU, current Multicam, or Propper/501 style pants. They don't dry as quickly, but they're rugged.

You can save most of the 'getting wet' issue by stagging them, cutting off about 3-4" of leg until it hits you just above the ankle. In the old days, woodsmen stagged to mid calf, and tucked it into their knee-high socks. This keeps the cuff out of the mud and wet grass which causes most of my issues. If it's raining, you're going to get wet from the knee down anyway. I don't even fight it. Wool socks, quick dry hiking shoes, quick dry pants.

While on that subject, I also mod the pockets. I rip a seam at an appropriate place just inside the two front pocket lips, and sew in two pieces of webbing with a D-ring, as anchor points for dummy cords. I do the same with the two cargo pockets (for anchoring my GPS). I also sew a seam down the middle, roughly, of the two cargo pockets... on one side, I make it closer to the front edge. on the other side, i make it closer to the pack edge. This gives me the ability to move stuff to the most comfortable place to carry it, without it falling sideways. e.g., my folding saw carries best in the narrow rear pocket on the left leg. my cell phone carries most comfortably in the wider front pocket on the right leg. my knit hat fits next to the saw, in the much wider compartment, and the 4th compartment is seldom used except for trash (mine and what i pick up.)

I do the same with the little ankle pocket on the right leg. The left one i leave alone, since that's where my hunting license and land use permission slips go. The right one is split in two halves, one for a lighter, the other for a match safe.

37. crewhead05

crewhead05 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  38. Andy 315

Andy 315 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm with you. Great for woods tramping.

Blackhillz likes this.
  39. ra2bach

ra2bach Guide

Blog Posts:
    do you mean really hiking/backpacking? or just being out in the woods for a couple/few days?..

because my 3-season backpacking pants are shorts that I wear with my baselayer (longjohns) and/or wind pants if need be.

day hiking, woods bumming/exploring, fishing, bushcrafting, etc., I like Tru Spec pants, either the poly/cotton or lightweight tac pants -- https://tacticalgear.com/tru-spec-pants

40. caoutdoorsman

caoutdoorsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Solid color BDU pants for me, I have a few pairs in grey and brown. They're 65% Poly 35% cotton ripstop, and dry quickly. I've done lots of gorge scrambles in them and they hold up well, haven't blown out any of the seams either.