Hiking with someone in better shape then you

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by NYWanderer, Feb 2, 2015.

1. mtwarden

mtwarden Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    it's all good :) slow, fast or somewhere in between

most of my adventures are done solo (and generally at a rather fast pace), but my most memorable outings are the ones with my wife, kids or grandkids

Winterhorse, UAHiker and Red Wing like this.
  2. t.darrah

t.darrah Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Did a couple long, tough trail runs this past weekend with two females and got my ass KICKED! With these two girls there was no taking it easy on me.

Lesson learned, female border collies are tough as hell, and know no quit!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 3:08 PM
    Winterhorse, UAHiker and mtwarden like this.
  3. Gramp Camp

Gramp Camp Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ask the guy what his expectations are. I do a fair amount of cycling and I don't mind a bit slowing down to ride with somebody I want to ride with. It helps get other folks involved and without coaches and friends to go along with, many folks may never try a new experience. Set the plan before and agree on pace and distance. Everybody has to start somewhere.

Winterhorse and Red Wing like this.
  4. Vydor

Vydor Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This is always an issue for groups. That's why route planning is important. Set an itinerary that all the group can do and keep to it. If some are slowed down, they know the plan ahead of time. If some are pushing it, they know what they must do. Don't ever feel bad for being in the outdoors.

5. Keithturkjr

Keithturkjr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    When I was a teenager in the smokies my brother and I would run circles around our parents, in front one minute and behind them the next.

But we kinda went about twice as fast as they did without getting more than 1/8-1/4 of a mile away from them and stopped and visited them a lot. It really kinda worked out to be the best of both worlds in that we got three hiking situations in one: there was my brother and I on our own, the whole family, and the two adults got 5 minutes to themselves too. Everyone was happy.

6. IzaWildman

IzaWildman Old Dog Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I used to be a member of some hiking groups but got tired of being pushed and/or abandoned on the trail. I don't bother trying to walk with anyone else these days. As I have said before, I start off slow and slow down from there and in the past six months, it seems my knees have worsened significantly. Any distance I walk is with pain. My dog is the only one I know who is willing to walk with me and he's pretty good company. I'm happy.

7. gila_dog

gila_dog BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Even tho you slowed him down, you probably made him feel better about himself about being in such good shape. But some day, hopefully, he will be an old slow-poke like you, and get to watch younger people leaving him behind on the trail. Hiking with somebody who is stronger than you will keep you challenged and healthy. Keep it up!

Winterhorse likes this.
  8. Odinborn

Odinborn Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is something I think about as well. I want to do some long distance thru hikes, but I have 3 kids so I need to wait until they're old enough before I leave/take one or two with me. I fear that I'm going to be too old/too slow and they won't want to hike with me.

Maybe your hiking partner likes the slower pace? I know I'd rather do a slow hike with someone that's good company rather than hoof it hard all day alone.

Winterhorse likes this.
  9. WILL

WILL Scout

Blog Posts:
    We'll usually split into groups by hiking speed. Some folks literally have to stop and take a break every 100 yards. Some like blazing along at what's almost a jogging pace for me. I'm in the middle. I'd never leave someone to hike alone though.

gila_dog, Winterhorse and Red Wing like this.
  10. MommaJ

MommaJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm use to being the slow poke but every trip i go out on I push myself a little bit harder so eventually I will no longer be the slow poke and my hubby will be. My normal hikes are flat terrain and with the hubby and kids all a good plus for someone with a bad back. Now the kids are older and keep pace with me while we talk about everything under the sun and then some.

Do I feel bad, absolutely? Do I say I'm sorry like only a million times, yup. Do I forget that I'm the slow poke,yup. Do I bite off more than I can chew, yup but that's cause I am pushing myself just to see if I can.

11. Red Wing

Red Wing Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Im usually the guy hauling butt. That being said, as long as people are upfront about their abilities and experienced enough to not double down on the fitness aspect with bad decision making, Im good.

Last time someone let us know theyd be slow, andthat was fine.. but he also almost heat stroked himself not paying attention to the forecast and not having the experience to not overkill his clothes for our temp range meant I had to carry 2 packs through RRG. Glad he was OK but wasnt thrilled with the experience lol.

Funny as a add on, he did have a pretty light pack, because he didnt pack redunancies like shorts and decided to ride out his fleece lined heavy canvas cargo pants in 75 degree weather climbing a gorge lol. UL dedinitely requires experience. Cant just buy your way in.

Winterhorse likes this.
  12. MiamiC70

MiamiC70 Tracker

Blog Posts:

https://i0.wp.com/nerdbastards.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Otis1.gif

13. NCLivingBrit

NCLivingBrit Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm a fat dude in rotten shape with bad knees. Sounds like I'd be trying to keep up!

Winterhorse and IzaWildman like this.
  14. caoutdoorsman

caoutdoorsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had that experience when I was younger, so I dropped all the weight (70 lbs) and never looked back.

I actually like having slower people in a group, it makes the pace more enjoyable.
    I exercise a lot and my job is physical, so I don't like hauling ass when I'm taking a break in the woods. I'd rather go slowly, ID plant life, chat, etc.

Being in shape is like having a 4WD; its nice to have when you need it, but most of the time I'd rather just cruise :42:

gila_dog, Winterhorse and Red Wing like this.
  15. ROCK6

ROCK6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    So, my wife and I do a lot of backpacking. We only average about 15 miles a day and that is pretty much our maximum comfort level. Our son (now 18) is an athletic freak. He's done a couple trips with us and he literally runs with a 30 pound pack, up mountains, sometimes barefoot. We just let him go and make sure he knows our stopping point. Another consideration is that the younger backpacker carries a pound for every year you are old than them. 20 years, is 20 pounds. That would be a lot of extra comfort items for you and keep their pace about equal:D

ROCK6

16. mtwarden

mtwarden Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oh I really like that rule! :4:

My past partners in the Bob Open have been 10-15 years younger than me :)

Winterhorse and ROCK6 like this.
  17. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just mosey along and my partners all get strung out but we all meet up at the same place. Nobody seems to mind and the bonus is that usually by the time I get there lunch is on:)

gila_dog and Red Wing like this.
  18. DrJosh

DrJosh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't backpack with anyone who can't keep up unless I don't mind taking it slow. If it's a trip that demands a faster pace for whatever reason, then I lay that out up-front. If it doesn't, then I let it be known that we are in no rush, take your time, it's all good. The only time I felt I might have trouble keeping up was on military training, and we all pressed on through the pain, but that does not apply here.

I did have a friend suffer heat stroke on a relatively leisurely pack through 105° Kentucky hills last year. The whole trip was set to her pace to begin with - planned it that way, but still had to call quits first day for medical reasons. Because expectations and limitations were well-known up-front it was not a big deal to throw in the towel. She needed IV fluids and cooling; we got her evac and medical care ASAP. If anyone cries about being "held back" when all this is known up-front, then they shouldn't have signed up and maybe better go solo if their help is not needed... that's all.

Bottom line: Use your words. :)

19. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Scout

Blog Posts:
    It does not matter if you go slowly. It only matters that you go.

DrJosh likes this.