Hill People Gear

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags & Pouches' started by foxfire, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Bullhed78

Bullhed78 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here is what my Connor looks like on a daily basis. The Pals Pocket is attached via lifter straps and Grimlocks. The bottle pouches on the side are Maxpedition XBP attached via molle straps. Inside the side pouches other than a water bottle and coffe cup are keys, a Leatherman wave multitool, Streamlight 2 AA flashlight and a wallet that contains a small amount of cash, copy of my insurance card and pictures of my family.
    2300824E-0D86-4862-8FF6-018F0F2D581A.jpeg

The contents of the Pals Pocket is stuff I use on a daily basis and want easy access to. Bandana, hand sanitizer, peanut butter crackers, locking nylon pistol case, Streamlight headlamp, Skull Candy Crusher wireless headphones, Samsung tablet, portable power unit and last but not least a pouch that contains charging cords, 110v charger, 12v charger, thumb drive and extra batteries.
    FFECE2AF-F906-4DEA-A977-F480927BEC87.jpeg

Here is a picture of how well the contents of this pouch pack down. This is the outer stretchy pocket on the Conner.
    0C3D7C44-7981-47B1-83DA-BB6D3B5E6FA4.jpeg

Pathfinder poncho/tarp, Spyderco sharpmaker, first aid kit, Bic lighter, sanitizing wipes, Essee Izula II, para cord, Essee tin fishing kit, Essee tin fire kit, small survival poncho, waterproof field notes pad, wool Buff, spare AA batteries, protective pouch with extra glasses, cleaning solution and cleaning rag.
    E14EA13A-4342-4264-AC3B-320A378B7559.jpeg

Main compartment houses a change of socks, underwear, undershirt, gloves, wool beanie, and a coat.
    1C5C3C19-0AE9-4BA7-AF29-1389C5EFBA9B.jpeg

This is the way it is set up currently. I holds a ton of stuff but is kind of bulky overall. With that being said, I just bought the Aston House BC (HPG stuff is addicting). I intend to put the stuff from the stretchy pocket into the Pals Pocket along with some other “survival” type stuff so I can easily take it depending on what pack I’m using. I will take the Maxpedition XBP’s off the side and use the mesh pouches on the Connor for a water bottle and coffee cup. The stuff from the Pals Pocket will go in the stretchy pocket and main compartment. My goal is to bring the Connor back to a small streamlined pack and use the Aston House BC for heavier loads.

2. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Your plan sounds solid. I don't like to add all the externals to a lesser framed pack when a proper framed pack and weight combination is available.....get a belt for the AHBC and you'll have a lot of capacity in so may ways....

wvtracker14 likes this.
  3. colter

colter Still Learnin' Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Got a AHBC recently and I gotta say I really like it. It will be my wandering/travel pack this summer. I think with packing light, it's going to work perfectly. I really like the straps on top, great for attaching my sleeping bag to.

VanGo, xrayit and wvtracker14 like this.
  4. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well I went for the Ashton Pocket for the AHBC, yea another $85 but I did like and agree with CreekyBones on the usefulness of the item.

But the compression panel will not go to waste.....it is now on my quiYa.....with a couple of buckle hardware pieces it snaps right on the back, would work with a Ute also I would think.

Plus I can interchange these along with a tarapocket for all kinds of usefulness.....

P8061117.JPG

5. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Took the AHBC out for a couple of short hikes, I like the pack and expect that it will get some dirt time this summer, one thing that really bugged me was the top straps that attach to the compression panel to the pack, as delivered there was no way to unbuckle the top of the compression panel to gain access to the zippered pocket and use the space under the compression panel as a stuff pocket. Solution for me was to change out the top straps with G hook straps. Much more user friendly and for my use as a stuff pocket makes this pack a real keeper.

IMG_0708.jpg

colter, foxfire, rsnurkle and 5 others like this.
  6. Chirs

Chirs Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    The top straps can be un-threaded from the plastic clips on top. Mine didn't come with the top straps ran through the plastic buckles. I tried it like you have it and yes, it's annoying to get into the zippers when the strap is passed through the plastic ring. If any of that makes sense?

wvtracker14 likes this.
  7. Bullhed78

Bullhed78 Scout

Blog Posts:
    First thing I did was unthread mine. To be honest I figured it was assembled wrong at the factory. I could figure out why in the world it would be set up the way it was.

Chirs and wvtracker14 like this.
  8. KittySlayer

KittySlayer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Was looking at this as an option for my Ute. Basically a panel to loosely stuff a wet tarp in or a bulky jacket or other item. So do the panel straps line up with the three compression straps on the backpack?

VanGo and wvtracker14 like this.
  9. xrayit

Blog Posts:
    Adding the G hook straps (replacing the standard straps) allows me to keep the straps running through the plastic clips which keeps the straps from slipping off any load I may have strapped on top while at the same time allowing me to have quick access / open the top of the compression panel. The G hook straps make this a game changer for me as far as this pack is concerned.

IMG_0710.jpg IMG_0709.jpg

10. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

The panel straps lined up pretty well with the top and bottom compression straps. Don't know if can see it in the photo but I added to male buckle parts on the right side pack straps. Used the G hooks on the bottom tab but left the pack bottom straps on. On the top I added female buckle ends to the packs to straps. I left all the original straps and hardware on the quiYa, I wanted to be able to take the compression panel off and have the pack still set up to do it's thing.

11. Creaky Bones

Creaky Bones Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]
    AHBC out for a hike in Shenandoah National Park. Rides nice on a prairie belt. I'll be swapping out the top straps for g-clip straps asap (thanks @xrayit). The Aston panel worked well to stuff my jacket behind when climbing back up the trail jacked up my body temp. So far I'm happy with the pack. I'm still dialing in the best way to set it up.

12. Squirr

Squirr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I love HPG. The most comfortable packs on the planet. Started with the Tarahumara and kit bag to the Ute, then Aston House until most recently an Umlindi. I haven’t been disappointed yet. They make amazing gear that is so comfortable that sometimes I forget it’s on my back.

8CDE26B8-5C7C-4748-900C-61C6BC4A9E7A.jpeg DED870CB-0534-4B41-85A4-1D5159EE158F.jpeg 9EEB5951-6A3C-44EB-8446-0CB5A0CCECE8.jpeg E66B321D-5826-4F4B-8A6C-3725DD69FEF9.jpeg

mjh, M.Hatfield, foxfire and 5 others like this.
  13. xrayit

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely the most comfortable packs I own, I bought / own a bunch of hiking packs from Zpacks, ULA, Osprey, Six Moon Design and they all lacked either comfort or versatility. Yes... those are light packs ( 3 pounds vs 6 pounds on average) compared to HPG packs but that advantage is quickly negated when doing other activities that includes any type of weight or gear size not associated with walking down a cleared path for 20 miles. I got the HPG bug bad!

I have two Tara’s and a Tera pocket w light weight harness, Umlindi, Ute, Conner, Qui-Ya, AHBC along with three belts, m2016 butt pack and an assortment of pockets / bottle holsters. I can quickly custom configure a pack to comfortably carry any load out I can imagine and then take that load into any environment without babying the pack because I don’t want to harm the delicate mesh or blow out the delicate lightweight materials.

What I like best is the packs can be transformed into a hiking pack, bushcraft pack, hunting pack or even day pack with very little effort and they all feel the same based on the universal harness system.

When I say versatility I am not talking about just hanging pockets on the pack, I am talking about the ability to customize the suspension quickly, My girlfriend likes the Umlindi, my son likes the Ute and well I like them both too. I bought some Aluminum bar stock and made each of them stays to match their backs and bent to originals to match my back. If I use the umlindi I just switch out the stay with my bend and when girlfriend uses the pack we slide in her custom bent stay and same with my son and the Ute. No compromises in comfort or carry ability when sharing packs with family members. Girlfriend likes to carry water bottles I like canteens I use my belt with my set up on the Umlindi and she uses hers again a quick change out and the ultimate in versatility.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  14. KittySlayer

KittySlayer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Like both your girlfriend and son...

or

Like both your Umlindi and Ute?

15. xrayit

Blog Posts:
    @KittySlayer I kind of like my Son and Girlfriend thats why I set them up with some sweet backpacks packs that I definitely like.

16. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Showing some love for the ripstop kit bag. I had assumed I was going to need to modify the internals asap to keep things organized, but have been happy using the V1 original kit bag stock so far.
    [​IMG]

17. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    wvtracker14 and rsnurkle like this.
  18. xrayit

Blog Posts:
    WOO HOO, Just ordered two Coyote Ruffs from HPG... In stock grab em while you can!

19. VanGo

VanGo poi'-ā-mä Supporter

Blog Posts:
    These also have a great SPF rating... ;)

I did putt one in my basket...

rsnurkle and wvtracker14 like this.
  20. xrayit

Blog Posts:
    Yea, kinda late in the season but you need to buy when you can... Looks like I will endure two more Chicago winters before I retire to a more temperate climate so I expect to get some use out of the Ruffs :dblthumb:

rsnurkle, VanGo and wvtracker14 like this.
  21. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Chicago is where I first used a (synthetic) ruff and realized how functional they were, while walking back from a museum on a wind blowing off the lake winter day. I bet that coyote fur will get plenty of use!

22. DaStoner47

DaStoner47 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I now have an umlindi on the way, any tips?

wvtracker14 likes this.
  23. YacoltWose

YacoltWose Scout

Blog Posts:
    Southwest Washington (formerly known as ORWose)
    It will likely feel more comfortable with a little weight in it than empty. Also the ride height is a critical adjustment. The pack hangs off two straps that attach to the shoulder harness, and I find mine is more comfortable riding a little lower then I might expect. It's a great pack. I use it for my once a week trip into the city for work, toting my laptop, and as my backcountry pack.

In this pic I have a jacket lashed to the top. The top of the pack is actually around the top of the Aston Pocket on the back, so as you can see, I've got mine pretty low.

lindi.jpg

24. DaStoner47

DaStoner47 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    So just got my umlindi and I love it. Could use some more space to do single overnights, so I am looking at getting the tara pocket, any idea if HPG's site ever does sales?

wvtracker14 likes this.
  25. Cberg1975

Cberg1975 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Took my Tarahumara, Kit Bag and Windcheater out with my favorite FK knife.
    IMG_20180125_124418_557.jpg

xrayit, wvtracker14, VanGo and 2 others like this.
  26. Cberg1975

Cberg1975 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Here's the Tara with the FK
    KIMG0768.JPG

27. wvtracker14

wvtracker14 Hardwoodsman #9 Supporter Hardwoodsman

Blog Posts:
    Does anyone have the Aston Panel on their Umlindi? Gonna try it out if it ever comes back in stock.

28. Bullhed78

Bullhed78 Scout

Blog Posts:
  29. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yes from time to time HPG does a sale, good for about the cost of shipping and cup of joe. :44:

Keep your eyes open on the classifieds and other places, the gear pops up now and then.....

You can request to be put on a wait list, HPG will contact you when the item is in stock.....has worked for me a couple of times...

rsnurkle, superpaco and wvtracker14 like this.
  30. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

If and when I do this I'll try to remember to take photos and post.....

wvtracker14 and HardBall like this.
  31. Hoover77

Hoover77 Scout

Blog Posts:
    F6132811-14FA-4F2E-B7AE-E85DEE9DA2E8.jpeg 40A234F4-7473-4523-B400-DB93B96BBC51.jpeg 24311253-B9AA-441C-8BA9-6F082047D8AB.jpeg 0E886ED8-80BC-4A76-984E-CDFE1F76A88C.jpeg
    HPG Ute and one tired Aussie.

32. wvtracker14

Blog Posts:
    IMG_5448.JPG
    Overnight load out from this weekend. Umlindi with prairie belt and Tara attached. If it weren't for having to carry the huge sleeping bag and bad weather clothes it would've been a really light load.

33. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Out with my new Umlindi this afternoon

C539F133-F18B-4E97-A106-D85DDBD1CCFA.jpeg

34. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I ended putting my bear spray on a shoulder strap, but the kit bag will take my inReach sat device, headlamp, maps, compass, sunscreen, anti-chafe, vaseline, little selfie stick that goes on a trekking pole, small fire kit, sunglasses, reading glasses and TP- will be nice to have these items handy, particularly the maps

[​IMG]

35. VanGo

Blog Posts:
    Manatee Umlindi for urban adventures and public appeal....

BF30DF9E-146A-4C40-B52D-1F01DF6E606C.jpeg

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  36. Bullhed78

Bullhed78 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Man, 5col hit it out of the park with that color combo. I wish the would do a Ute or Qui Ya in that color.

wvtracker14, andy.t and VanGo like this.
  37. andy.t

andy.t Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Sad to say I can't make the numbers work on those. My goal is to order Manatee/Black Tarahumaras and V2 Kit Bags today, though.

38. Djektd

Djektd Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Hmm.. may have to buy one of each..

andy.t and wvtracker14 like this.
  39. VanGo

Blog Posts:
    Multicam Taras? Can we get a show of hands?

Djektd, M.Hatfield and andy.t like this.
  40. Djektd

Djektd Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Black multicam is coming again later this year.. but I may be in for a regular multicam if the time is right!

VanGo, wvtracker14 and andy.t like this.
  41. Bullhed78

Bullhed78 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I completely get it. I know they require a 25 bag minimum order for custom colors. That’s a big nut to crack on a bag that costs $450 each and you have no idea how long it would take to sell the lot of them. A guy can always dream though. :)

wvtracker14 and andy.t like this.
  42. wvtracker14

Blog Posts:
    CEC9830A-388B-4687-BC81-9AE6ECB9334C.png
    Saw this on IG and figured I would share. Could be useful if it’s true.

43. LJHfrstr

LJHfrstr Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Picked up my first HPG product form 5col a couple weeks ago. Was looking for the perfect day/overnight pack and this is it. Love the versatility of the black/gray color - good for the bush, the city, or for carry-on without having a tactical look to it. Looking forward to picking up more HPG gear in the future.
    20180524_194859.jpg

As mentioned multiple times in this thread, the side pockets don't leave quite enough space for most canteens, especially the HC Canteen set (darn). I really wanted a cup/bottle combo that would fit well into the pocket and not have to go directly into the pack. After seeing a Sigg canteen set I hoped that the oval shape would fit well inside the pocket. Was able to pick one up from a very generous member of the forum and it ended up being a perfect fit.
    20180531_185927.jpg

20180531_190010.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    wvtracker14, Kona9, rsnurkle and 3 others like this.
  44. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    the kit bag worked great on the Bob Marshall Open- having everything at my fingertips, especially nav stuff was great

I have the Runners in Ripstop, but would grab a Snubby if they ever offer it

[​IMG]

45. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Took the M2016 ButtPack to Atlanta as my carry on recently. Stuck on a water bottle carrier. Put in the basic essentials for airline travel and a little around the town walking. Was adequate for the use, not too heavy. A little small to my taste, would like something larger that I can slide a magazine flat into, but not so large. I don't travel that much by plane so it was really just an experiment to see how small I could go with a few essentials. Did not get heavy carrying around that was a pro.

PA261220.JPG PA261221.JPG PA261222.JPG PA261223.JPG

46. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thank you both for posting pictures of the manatee and black Umlindi. They helped pushed me over the edge to buying one. I have been going back and forth for a couple of weeks now. I already have an LL Bean Continental Rucksack so I kept telling myself I don’t need another pack this size. What I’m looking forward to doing is being able to add my Tarahumara to the bag for additional space. Also, I love the compression straps on the Tara and see myself using them to make the Umlindi feel small and tight when I’m not carrying much. I have a cruise coming up and will use it to carry all of my things and then compress it down to use as my pack for day excursions. The LL Bean Rucksack always feels big even with a small loadout due to no compression.

Edit: Just went back to 5col and I see the Umlindi is sold out. I’m glad I didn’t wait any longer.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    wvtracker14, andy.t, VanGo and 2 others like this.
  47. LJHfrstr

LJHfrstr Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That's the very reason I sold my LL Bean Continental. I never had enough gear on a day hike or family outing to fill it up and so it always ended up feeling "saggy" and half empty. I sold my LL Bean a few months ago to throw some funds into an Umlindi... glad I did it.

wvtracker14, Kona9 and rsnurkle like this.
  48. VanGo

Blog Posts:
    Over the past 6-8mos this scout carry system has evolved into a very usuful and modular system that can be added to or reduced depending on needs:

3205B7DE-B2B5-4A86-AC06-F799885F80D5.jpeg EA320AF1-29F6-4BE1-BDF7-57E5D6D50B0D.jpeg 45F12EB8-A448-4F59-BE0B-6EB9D0D55DDD.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    colter, wvtracker14, xrayit and 5 others like this.
  49. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    2C3D8A98-2BBB-45EF-BD30-BC85EBD61213.jpeg Thanks to @andy.t I received my new Umlindi in time to take camping tomorrow! My son is using my LL Bean Continental Rucksack. Both packs are fairly stuffed, though the Umlindi is just about at capacity (his clothes take up less room). I thought about attaching my Tara to the back, but decided to take the HW haversack for extra things and to carry around the camp. I thought you all might like to see how similar in size the two are as pictures comparing them are hard to come by. The Rucksack seems to have more volume due to the three outside pockets. The Umlindi is loaded heavier and carries better for me and also has the ability to add on additional volume. I’ll know more about how I like the Umlindi after the next couple of days.

50. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts: