History of Adventure Sworn logo's

Discussion in 'Adventure Sworn Bushcraft Co.' started by silbowhunter, Mar 7, 2014.

1. silbowhunter

silbowhunter Tracker

Blog Posts:
    After looking at the AS knives in use thread (below) I got to thinking it would be interesting to hear (from Cody) the history of each A.S. logo.
    http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showt...ure-Sworn-Knives-In-Use-Pictures-Post-Them-Up

Maybe what year each logo was started/in use, how long was each in use, how it got it's start, what brought about the changes to the logo's, etc ?

Tha latest change was explained in the AS patch thread but will this logo change also be on the knives ?
    http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/115249-Adventure-Sworn-Leather-Patches-Now-Available

2. Adventure Sworn

Adventure Sworn Cody Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Logo History

Cool idea. First off, when I give a knife a number such as "AS 442", "AS" mean's Adventure Sworn, and the 442 means that it was my 442nd knife. I have less than 10 made which aren't cataloged or photographed, they were most likely gifts to family members or something. You can find photos of AS 1 to AS 370 on my photobucket album (link).

AS 1 to 10 had no maker's mark. I sold my first one for $110.00 in person (November 2009). It came with Amber's first sheath. I kept the second finished knife. My third finished knife was the first one I sold online; it sold for $195.00 on BladeForums on Feb 14th, 2010. It sold in 15 minutes, and right around then I knew that I'd be a knifemaker from here on out.

AS 10 was right around when I used my first maker's mark (March, 2010). This was a simple yet very bold "Adventure" on the top and "Sworn" on the bottom, all caps. The logo felt a bit loud to me and some other customers, so there were a bunch of knives after AS 10 that I made without a maker's mark as well.
    [​IMG]

AS 61 was roughly when I began using the second maker's mark (November 2010). It was a much more subtle "Adventure Sworn" with "Crafted in USA" below it. I kept this one for a while, but a few hundred knives later we eventually decided that we wanted something which looked more like a logo, and that could be used with our patches.
    [​IMG]

AS 96 was the first of a run of roughly 50 knives I made with the forum, as the "Bushcraft USA Knife" (roughly May 2011). These knives had the original Bushcraft USA banner logo on them with the maple leaves to the side of the name. I made roughly every-other knife a BCUSA knife until about 50 were completed. These had our "Adventure Sworn Crafted in USA" logo on the other side of the blade.
    [​IMG]

AS 368 was right around when we began using our new logo as a maker's mark (September 2013). This one took Amber and I about a year of talking about it, then only a few hours of actually making it... haha. I wanted something like an Everett Ruess block print (my avatar). Amber and I went through various photos of the Adirondacks and combined a few different elements from different locations. Amber then drew parts of our logo with a black marker, then we combined them in photoshop to make our logo. I'm really happy that it has Amber's artwork in it, and we love how it turned out. The image has been interpreted differently by people; it is supposed to be a landscape scene with mountains and a lake (or a field, depending on how you look at it) at the base of the mountains. There is a stream (or a path) coming from the valley between the two mountain ranges. A single evergreen tree sits right in the middle of the image. The logo read in a ring around the image "Adventure Sworn" (top), "Bushcraft Knives" (bottom).
    [​IMG]

The most recent logo that I've been using for my patches and my mugs are the same as the above logo, but have "Bushcraft Co." in place of "Bushcraft Knives". We did this because we do plan on eventually expanding to gear other than bushcraft knives, and like the idea of being a bushcraft company.
    [​IMG]

We are not using this newest logo (with Bushcraft Co.) on our knives until we have expanded and re-opened our order books in the future. That way you will be able to tell the difference between the knives that I've made entirely myself, and the knives that were made by a team of craftsmen at the new Adventure Sworn shop. (However, after we have expanded, you'll still be able to tell which ones that I've personally made from scratch in some way, such as engraving my name on the spine.)

Hope this helps clarify some confusion for certain people, and might help others to date the age of their AS knife. If you ever need to figure out the exact AS # for your knife, just send me a PM or email and I'll get it for you.

Cody

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  3. Mtnfolk Mike

Mtnfolk Mike Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Awesome idea.. Can't wait to hear all about it.. I know the knife I have is fairly early.. ?

4. adkwalker

adkwalker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Will be watching this thread Thank you

5. redmech

redmech Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Cody, have you kept a master list of knives, dates, and info of each one made? I'll keep an eye in this thread as well.

6. Adventure Sworn

Blog Posts:
    Yes I have the rough date and AS # for almost every knife I've made. I did just update my above post with the info that the OP asked for.

7. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Very cool of you to share a bit of your history with us. Was scanning through your album that you link to. Perhaps this is covered in a seperate thread somewhere but what is the story of AS0172 through 0182? Those scales are beautiful and very unique. Was that a special run of 10 knives with a specific purpose?

8. Adventure Sworn

Blog Posts:
    I don't believe I ever made a separate thread for them, but those 10 were one order that a customer placed. I believe they were gifted to some eagle/boy scouts which he knew or trained. His name is Danny, he's a good guy.

Crooked Penguin likes this.
  9. dRobinson

dRobinson Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for sharing AS, very cool to see the evolution of you and Amber's company.

Do you have any idea when you'll be expanding the co. and bringing in more folks to help out? Essence of the American dream IMO.

I guess my next question would be, can you tease us with the types of bushcraft gear you anticipate to make/sell in the future..? :51:

10. Adventure Sworn

Blog Posts:
    When we get closer, I do intend on making a thread specifically geared towards our goals with the expansion. But now that you're asking, why not. :27:

Nothing is in concrete, but Amber and I decided that eventually we'd expand AS by hiring additional craftsmen to our company. We were going to probably start off with my brother Tyler as a knifemaker, and Amber's twin brother Matt as a leatherworker. They have both shown substantial interest in joining us, and both are experienced craftsmen. It's people like them who we would plan on inviting in; family or close friends who have proven to be reliable, skilled, and simply have high moral standards. Amber and I are adamant on keeping our quality the same (if not better), so a lengthy training process would have to be put into play before anything they help make get's the AS seal.

The main immediate benefit of our expansion is that we would start taking custom knife orders again. The options would allow you to fully customize your knife, with all of our models, all of our current blade thicknesses, edge grinds, a dozen liner options, multiple loveless bolt & tubing options, more steel options, and dozens of scale options. You would basically go on our website, and select your model and your specs, add it to your cart, and check out. The waiting list we would have is obviously unpredictable now, but we're going to bust our ass to keep it under a month. If the waiting list quickly grows even after we perfect our new process, then we will gradually hire more people to try and keep the list low. One of the main reasons for expanding is to make our knives more readily available.

In terms of what other gear options we'd offer, that's even more down the road. But the ambition is big. On top of offering our usual custom knives, leather belts, and leather pouches, I'd eventually love to design buck saws, axes, cooking pots & mugs, tarps, tents, stoves (hobo, woodgas, and shelter woodstoves), backpacks, and other things that fit the theme. Eventually Adventure Sworn outdoor clothing. What we make ourselves in shop, and what we have manufactured by another USA company would depend on many factors (for example, cooking pots require a very specialized shop). But either way we aren't going to outsource anything to a foreign manufacturer... keep it in USA, where it started.

It felt good spilling the beans on that - but don't expect an ETA as to when things will start rolling, but I'm hoping that we will be ready to hire more people within a few months. We're going to continue selling our knives the way we are until we have enough money saved for the additional equipment required to expand. Selling knives and sheaths is still our only source of income, so the saving might take some time. But this is our direction, and I'm going to make it happen. :42:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  11. Lookin4lunkers

Lookin4lunkers Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sounds awesome Cody, I hope all your dreams are realized for your sake and mine...LOL. Im sure whatever you put the AS logo on will be on my wishlist

12. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Dirt Merchant Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I was wondering when you were going to spill the beans. :)
    I am excited to watch your future growth as a company. Best of luck!

13. Mtnfolk Mike

Mtnfolk Mike Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Right on Cody.. Thanks for the info.. My knife has that second logo..

I think you and Amber are extrememly talented folks and it sounds like you guys have a solid foundation for how you want your business to be.. I look forward to seeing what the fufute brings for you two..

I definitely need one of those mugs soon.. would love a T-shirt too, once you get there.. :)

14. Brazito

Brazito Guide

Blog Posts:
    I bought the most recent patch, the knife will come in the future.:54:

15. Leif

Leif Staff Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Light the beacons...they will come. You still have friends.

[video=youtube;SFo-XMUsy24]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFo-XMUsy24[/video]

16. Brazito

Brazito Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nothing like living the dream!!!!

17. redmech

redmech Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    You have great attention to detail. Be very cool or see your company grow. Look forward to doing more future business with you guys.

18. Adventure Sworn

Blog Posts:
    Hahaha, yeah we live 10 miles apart but that's how we communicate.

Let's just say our team is going to be sweet. :16:

19. TwoRavens_Ranger

TwoRavens_Ranger Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This is a great thread. Thanks for the info. Best of luck to your company.

20. thederrick106

thederrick106 Hunter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Great thread, great read...
    AS 476
    WP_20150323_026_zpslulgftgi.jpg

Crooked Penguin likes this.
  21. blackhawkhunter

blackhawkhunter Guide

Blog Posts:
  22. Kyle363

Kyle363 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bumping to the top this has some cool info about logos I didn't know.

Kal.B, rcwells and RI Chevy like this.
  23. RI Chevy

RI Chevy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Really cool history on the knives and the company.

Kal.B likes this.