Home remedies for colds.

Discussion in 'Bush Medicine' started by Patriot Bushcraft, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Patriot Bushcraft

Patriot Bushcraft The Environmentalist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Any of you know of any home remedies for colds, with fevers and body aches?

bacpacjac and CalmAsHinduCows like this.
  2. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Time Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My grandma would mix honey, lemon juice, a bit of water and a half shot of whiskey. It worked wonders. Great for a sore throat.

Of course it works quite well without the honey and lemon juice, too. :59:

Steve

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  3. Mikewood

Mikewood Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hot baths, as much water as I can drink and lots of rest. Aspirin if I get fever aches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

marbleman, Huey and Patriot Bushcraft like this.
  4. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    Post #158: Spices That Can Serve Multiple Purposes

Aside from the above, pay attention to your diet. One of the best things you can do is to drink water. After that, reduce your sugar intake (there seems to be a direct correlation between sugar and the immune system). Also, avoid dairy--it is mucus producing. Eat light, easily digestible foods (e.g--soup, citrus, etc.).

The things listed in the link above are very effective.

5. Frank G. Henry

Frank G. Henry Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I do colloidal silver. If and when I do detect symptoms I simply double or triple what I usually do which is a few drops under the tongue, hold for thirty seconds and swallow. The symptoms are gone in 1/2 day.

The flu in two days max. But I also take oscillococcinum which is a store bought homeopathic remedy.

Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patriot Bushcraft likes this.
  6. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Vitamin C truly does help. I have an orange tree and if I feel a cold coming on I'll just eat a few oranges a day for a couple days and it kmocks it right out.

7. Frank G. Henry

Frank G. Henry Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I forgot about that. I quadruple the amount of Vitamin C as well.

8. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
    hello,
    Warmed Vimto (Soda Pop) Vimto is a soft drink originating from England. It was first manufactured as a health tonic in cordial form, then decades later as a carbonated drink. Still available in cordial form. Boiled Pusser's (gunpowder proof) black rum straight or with an added knob of butter. Pusser's is a classic British Royal Navy rum, given to sailors as their daily ration in the Royal Navy. It sweats the symptom out of you followed by a good nights sleep. The only drawback is the vapours from such :26: they'd draw a tear to a glass eye as we say. Hold your nose down in one. *The Navy Rum ration ceased on "Black Tot Day" (31st July 1970) which was the name given to the last day on which the Royal Navy issued sailors with a daily rum ration (the daily tot). :( It either kills you or cures you.
    Regards
    David

9. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks like chicken soup made with Pusser's in lieu of water is for me next time I come down with a cold.

Patriot Bushcraft and DavidJAFO like this.
  10. perrymk

perrymk Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A good, general, natural antibiotic and antiviral is oil of oregano. My search has found that Natures Way Oregano Oil has the best bang for the buck. It is available in many health food stores including GNC and also amazon.com.

I take 1 capsule per day when l think I need extra protection (planes with recycled air, crowded places, etc) and 3-4 per day spread throughout the day if I'm feeling under the weather.

NattyBo, Patriot Bushcraft and Harper like this.
  11. MHW

MHW Tracker

Blog Posts:
    in a tea cup:
    Juice of one lemon
    Equal amount whiskey
    Cayenne pepper (as much as you can stand)
    fill up cup with hot water

drink and sleep

Patriot Bushcraft and carpenter like this.
  12. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:

The problem with colloidal silver is that, as an antibiotic, it will also kill the good bacteria in the gut just like a regular pharmaceutical antibiotic.

Most herbal antibiotics don't do that. That is why I prefer Oil of Oregano.

Having said that, I keep a supply of colloidal silver on hand and even have one of those silver generator kits so I can make it myself, if necessary. There are certain uses for which colloidal silver is especially appropriate.

Prior to the developments in antibiotics, colloidal silver was the hot area of research. The decision was made to focus on antibiotics and to drop the colloidal silver research. I think that focusing on antibiotics made the most sense--it has undoubtedly saved millions of lives--but they should have kept going with the colloidal silver, too. I guess you just can't make as much money there. So now, the once hot wunder product--colloidal silver--is scoffed at.

Colloidal Silver is considered anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral.

Papa Smurf is an idiot.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  13. RSniderWVA

RSniderWVA Scout

Blog Posts:
    I can agree this remedy does work wonders for a sore throat. I've used it without the whiskey.

14. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:

There is a place for the capsules--like if your travelling. Obviously, you don't taste the oregano oil as much--and it is strong.

But, in my opinion, the capsules are not as good as the liquid version. Here are some reasons why. If you take the oil under the tongue (sublingually), the oregano bypasses the digestive system and is directly absorbed into the blood stream--so it works quick. Also, if your sinuses are all clogged, the oregano oil will start to work to open up the sinuses in seconds. Literally, seconds. After holding it under your tongue for about a minute, you take a mouthfull of water, tilt your head back and gargle for about a minute. This cleans the mouth and helps the tonsils. Then you swallow.

The capsules don't do all that.

This method is described in the thread that I cited above along with a lot of other ways to use the oil.

15. Frank G. Henry

Frank G. Henry Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You're correct. My second post here gave a lot of detail which included one must take acidophilus and lactobacillus to replace the gut bacteria.

Good to see someone else understands!

Harper likes this.
  16. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    2 Table spoons of cider vinegar and 2 of honey ,in a cup of hot water.
    Best to take action at the very first inclination of cold or flu coming on. if you wait too late to attack, it will have infiltrated a long way into your system to overcome quickly. fact

NattyBo and Harper like this.
  17. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:

Your spot on with the need for probiotics. Here are some other things to consider:

There over two hundred types of good bacteria in the gut. Acidophilus is only one type. The better probiotics might have ten types in them. The best I've seen has 23--still about 200 types short as compard to a healthy gut.

Most people don't realize that the majority of antibiotics sold in the US (something like 3/4ths) are used for livestock. This is done because their living conditions are so poor and because it makes the animals weigh more (= money). So, even if you don't take antibiotics, you are still getting them to some extent through meat and dairy.

Herbal antibiotics usually don't kill the good bacteria--I'm obviously speaking in gerneralities here. That is why I prefer them. God is a far better chemist than man!

Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) is not a probiotic as such. However, it provides the environment which helps them to flourish.

Having said all that, there is a time and a place for antibiotics--including colloidal silver. But they are way, way, way over prescribed.

ozarkhunter and Frank G. Henry like this.
  18. Frank G. Henry

Frank G. Henry Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Agreed!

I'm developing a taste for Apple Cider Vinegar. Intake is first thing every morning added to tea.

I constantly take probiotics and I've notice that the rare occasion I have an upset stomach drinking a couple of mouthfuls of Acidophilus will put the stomach to rest in 15 minutes.

What most will miss is that my our immune system is dependent on the gut bacteria health.

Dude! Where have you been?

This is awesome!

Harper likes this.
  19. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    It is a good idea to swish some water in your mouth after taking ACV. It is an acid and can cause damage to tooth enamel over time. It is not so bad if it is mixed with food--like on a salad--since the food will help wipe it off.

Edit--Some people say you should wait about a half hour to brush because the enamel is in a weakened state and brushing can make it worse. I use water to rinse when I take it. Whatever you decide, the idea is to not leave it there for a long period of time.

Frank G. Henry likes this.
  20. Leshy

Leshy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Echinacea drops and vitamin C help me avoid the lurgies that the kids bring home.
    It boosts the immune system so prevention is the key here.
    School is like a breeding ground for all these colds and flu's as well as viral/bacterial infections,every year the kids seem to contract some form or another...

But sometimes prevention is not good enough so I resort to Yarrow (teas and infusions), Garlic (lots of it, on all food)
    and also a good (unprocessed /homemade ) set Honey with a few drops of lemon in a tablespoon about 4 times a day for those sore throat symptoms.
    Honey has a natural antibiotic and it's been used since god was a boy. Even the Egyptian pharaohs knew it.
    Lemon is an antiseptic and being a citrus I guess it's rich in vitamin C too...

For fevers I find a good chilli helps me sweat it off , and simultaneously opens up your sinus thus relieving your blocked up , bunged up nose...

All those together seem to do the trick for me , and as I touch my wooden table I dare to say I haven't had a flu in ages...
    Hope it helps...

Aaatchhoooooo !!! [emoji40]

Just kidding [emoji16]

DavidJAFO and Harper like this.
  21. fx77

fx77 Scout

Blog Posts:
    In general if U treat a cold, it gets better in 7 days
    If you do not treat a cold, it gets better in a week....so I was taught.

Leshy likes this.
  22. AKspudua

AKspudua Tracker

Blog Posts:

We add high quality elderberry syrup to that. if you start feeling symptoms start the elderberry to head sickness off.

Harper likes this.
  23. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    The combination of Elderberry and Peppermint is a very potent flu fighter.

The Peppermint helps with stomach problems.

Leshy likes this.
  24. AnthemBassMan

AnthemBassMan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Also check into Bee Propolis capsules.

L8R,
    Matt

25. Frank G. Henry

Frank G. Henry Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yet I can kill it in a day; two tops.

The flu becomes a head cold in two days and the head cold is gone in two days.

There are many remedies. Find what works for you and use it but look around.

26. Patriot Bushcraft

Blog Posts:
    Wow, all these tips are great. i actually have some oil of oregano and i am alway up for some whiskey and rum. but on a serious note, im going to have to write all these down and see what best works for me. i do believe in a holistic approach. thank you all for your advice abd i do have to cut down on the sweets.

Harper likes this.
  27. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Do you have amounts mixture for this.?

DavidJAFO likes this.
  28. CT03

CT03 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Jaegermeister (actually is a herbal tonic) also honey/lemon/tea mix is great. Salt water gargle for sore throat... Orange juice with red pepper for sore throat...

29. DavidJAFO

Blog Posts:
    hello BC-Medic,
    Pussers rum measured as what we Scots refer to as a "double double" x2 measures of a 1/4 Gill. Gill (unit) - Wikipedia One 1/4 Gill for the cough the 2nd 1/4 Gill for good measure. ;) LOL.
    Regards
    David

badchad250 and Leshy like this.
  30. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Good stuff here! Fighting cough brought on by congestion. Found last night that a tablespoon of honey coated with a dusting of cayenne soothes the "ticklish" throat that prompts the cough. Going to have to try the oil of oregano. I'm guessing that you don't get enough of that from eating spaghetti... :)

Harper likes this.
  31. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    Diluted Oil of Oregano is my go to for what you are describing. It is an anti-viral as well as an anti-biotic (and other things). Fair warning: it's harsh and takes some getting used to.

Red Raspberry Leaf Tea is another go to. That is more for strengthing the immune system in this kind of situation. It has a lot of absorbable vitamin C as well as other vitamins and minerals. It is excellent if your are experiencing stomach discomfort.

You should also consider a neti pot or saline spray before bed and in the morning for the congestion. You don't want to let that stuff sit in your chest. Also, avoid dairy and sugary foods--they are mucus producing. If you generate less, there will be less to get out.

That is good feedback on the honey/cayenne. If you add fresh garlic to the mix, it works even better. The honey soothes the throat and is an antibiotic in its own right. Cayenne attracts increased blood to the area which brings white blood cells and nutrients as well as performing a cleansing action. The addition of garlic brings even more antimicrobrial properties to further fight infection.

I just posted a healing soup recipe yesterday that is particularly suited to congestion:

A Healing Soup

Get Well!

CalmAsHinduCows and Leshy like this.
  32. DavidJAFO

Blog Posts:
    hello Leshy,
    cough.. splutter.. gasp.. wheeze.. :26: I ain't.
    Regards
    David

Leshy likes this.
  33. CalmAsHinduCows

CalmAsHinduCows Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Currently suffering from one heck of a cold/flu. Body aches, chills, sweats, vomiting...yeah, I got it all. Dramamine isn't working so well. Going to attempt some recipes in here. Thanks, guys! :)

Harper and Leshy like this.
  34. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Oil of oregano -
    [​IMG]

I must admit, my congestion has diminished since I bought a bottle last Thursday (5 days). I add 1 drop to about 3 tablespoons of warm tea with honey and try to make it go from the cup to the back of my throat without touching anything in between. In under a minute it is like I took a snort of vicks, minus the ongoing menthol tingle. When I first cracked the seal on the dropper-bottle and took a sniff, it immediately reminded me of the sauce in the Chef Boyardee make-it-at-home pizza kits my mom used to buy in the 70's... minus the tomatoes...
    I still have some congestion, but coughing has almost completely ceased. I have used the raspberry leaf tea several times. I have used 1 tea bag of raspberry leaf and 1 of a blueberry green tea to add a touch more flavor.

Thanks for the suggestions Harper!!!

Harper likes this.
  35. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Best thing for the common cold...

Rest, Hydrating Fluids, and Time.

If you have a chest cold with Lung Butter, AKA Pulmonary Pudding...
    Breathing exercises, deep inspiration / forceful exhalation, and a OTC expectorant. (Guaifenesin/ Mucinex)
    And More hydrating fluids.

Did I mention the hydrating fluids?!?
    (Stuff with caffeine and loads of sugar does not hydrate you.)
    About 3L of water a day is a decent benchmark.

It will take about 2 weeks for the body to naturally get over a common cold or about 14 days with antibiotics.

I agree with @Harper on this one.
    SOME of the natural-path / holistic stuff is not a bad way to go.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    badchad250 and Harper like this.
  36. teb_atoz

teb_atoz Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I heard if you wait 7 days it will be cured.

You can only treat the symptoms, not cure the cold.

cheers

Patriot Bushcraft and Terasec like this.
  37. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:

That picture is better than a thousand words for describing the first time you try Oil of Oregano!

I'm glad it is working for you. If you try the method with the olive oil that I wrote about, it will likely work both better and faster. If you put the diluted oil subligually, you will feel your congestion breaking up in seconds. It also gets absorbed directly into your system without having to go through your digestive tract. When you gargle with it, it will your throat and tonsils.

You can also sniff it like a Vicks inhalator between taking it orally.

If I'm actively sick, I'll take it once an hour while I'm awake until I forget to do so--which would mean that I forgot to because it worked.

Get better!

Leshy and Patriot Bushcraft like this.
  38. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:

But you can give the body the raw materials it needs to help it cure itself and reduce recovery time.

39. Patriot Bushcraft

Blog Posts:
    Yup i felt just like thst when i did the oil of oregano, i did not dilute it and i will never forget to dilute it again. Flue is gone now.

40. WildMedGuru

WildMedGuru Scout

Blog Posts:
    Avoid other Humans

Harper, Medic17 and Patriot Bushcraft like this.
  41. Medic17

Blog Posts:
    That is not the problem.

It's telling the humans that we like to be around, to avoid other humans.

The ones I do not want to avoid are the ones that usually get me sick.
    One is about three foot and the other is about four foot tall.
    No, I do not live around hobbits.

Leshy and Harper like this.
  42. WildMedGuru

WildMedGuru Scout

Blog Posts:
    The ones I do not want to avoid are the ones that usually get me sick.
    One is about three foot and the other is about four foot tall.
    No, I do not live around hobbits.

We can call that group "The Others"
    -small alien like creatures that dominate the spread of viral replication

43. Strngwlkr

Strngwlkr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    There is no "Cure" for the "common"cold. A modest dose of OTC zinc and vitamin C tab at the first tinges of a cold, twice a day, will help shorten the duration. Slightly increase of fluids is good and, believe it or not- chicken soup is also very good. The simmering process of making the soup breaks down the protiens making it easier for your body to assemilate.
    Imho

44. Medic17

Blog Posts:

Harper likes this.