Home Water Purification Berkey vrs Alexapure vrs ???

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by SuperKramp, Jan 27, 2017.

1. SuperKramp

SuperKramp Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey, spending some tax returns this year on a counter top gravity fed ceramic "miracle" filter of some sort. I always assumed Berkey was THE brand to get, but have heard quality, reliability, and consistency not what it used to be. I'm leaning now towards an Alexapure Pro. It's a little more affordable and on paper does everything I need it to. Can I get some experience from any of you on these matters and/or brands. Others to look into? Also I know some of you make your own water filtration systems with buckets and sand and what not and I think they're really great but that's not an option or what I'm interested in talking about here... Cheers and thanks in advance.

2. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've got a Berkey and I'm mixed on my impressions.

Filter life and flow rate haven't been what I expected. I'm cleaning the black filters more often than I'd like to and the fluoride filters were a total disappointment to me. They were only lasting us a few months at a time and they're expensive.

Cerametix is a brand I'm looking into for replacement filters. They also have counter top gravity fed systems too.

SuperKramp likes this.
  3. Dave L.

Dave L. Scout

Blog Posts:
    After our research, we went with Alexapure.
    Pro's:
    - cheaper than Berkey
    - filters more
    - longer filter life (5K gallons per)

Con's:
    - filter must remain wet and cannot be allowed to dry out. Filter comes in a heavy-duty Mylar bag filled with a little water.

We bought ours from Infowars Store. Great sale prices there. We were using it daily but bought a distiller. Now we keep it packed up and ready for emergencies.

ON SALE NOW:
    Alexapure Pro Water Filtration System - Water Filtration - Preparedness

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  4. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I brought a Berkey for an emergency home water filter and would not recommend them.

For a routine counter top unit using already potable water they would be ideal to do some extra filtration and improve taste.

Once you prime and keep the filters wet they are okay.
    Getting the filters primed is a big PITA. Not ideal and problematic in an emergency situation.
    High potential for cross contamination.

The threads strip really easy on the elements.

There has been little info as far as actual filtration reports go.
    They do not publish actual micron size, which to me is a big BS Flag.

For the next emergency home water filter I am considering a Lifestraw Mission or a Sawyer Point Zero Two

Counter top unit I would look at Katadyn Ceradyn / Gravidyn

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    Geoffrey and SuperKramp like this.
  5. SuperKramp

SuperKramp Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I really appreciate the experience/advice. Thank you!

Geoffrey likes this.
  6. Ephemeral

Ephemeral Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The Alexapure Pro..........The advertising is astronomical hype, verging on outright lies.

From their Amazon spiel........."All-new groundbreaking gravity block core filter with hybrid ceramic shell".........What, pray tell, is a "gravity block core filter"? It sounds real impressive, but does anybody really care what it is? So far I haven't been able to find out how it is made, what it really is, or its actual filtering capabilities in microns.

It seems from the pictures that they incorporate carbon in the filter. This is a convenience, but a bad idea, even though many makers do this. Why is it a bad idea? Because the ceramic's pathogen filtering capabilities will outlast the carbon's ability to remove toxins. Once the carbon is fully loaded with toxins, it actually begins to release same into the water stream, under certain circumstances in greater quantities than the original water stream contained. Ceramic filters can be cleaned repeatedly, whereas carbon cannot be cleaned, it must be replaced.

Activated carbon picks up toxins, certain heavy metals, chemicals etc, but it doesn't pick up everything, such as glyphosate, which will very likely be found in agricultural runoff. One cannot know, beyond taste, when the carbon becomes fully loaded, and some toxins have no easily discernible taste. One would have to have a lab analysis of the unfiltered water, then the same for the filtered water to actually know for certain when the carbon needed to be replaced. If the ceramic filter and the carbon filter are separate units, then the carbon element can be replaced/refilled on a time/gallons basis with some accuracy, depending on the source water to be filtered......the best one can do without the capability to perform lab analysis.

How about bone char? What does it remove, and is it worth the expense of incorporating a bone char unit inline, given certain contaminants?

They say......"Removes up to 99.9999% of water impurities, including lead, bacteria, viruses, cysts, chlorine, fluoride, E. coli, PFOA and more "........UP TO, really, that's an amazingly unscientific statement, but great BS advertising that says nothing definitive.

Then they say......"Targets lead, bacteria, viruses, cysts, chlorine, fluoride, E. coli, PFOA and more" ......well "targets" is a bit more honest, but still it says nothing definitive.

The price.......$189.73 for the ss canisters, one filter, a spigot, and various small stuff. Replacement, or additional filters (holds four I think), $97.00 each. So if one wants to set up a system with the highest flow rate, four filters, it will cost $480.73. Then what about replacement filters when, not if, the carbon components become fully loaded with lets say chlorine, which loads carbon very fast. These people really need to be beaten severely for robbing people like this.

That's enough dissection of these people's bs scam, in my opinion that is.

Nothing beats getting educated to avoid getting ripped off. There are a multitude of marginal and expensive filter systems being advertised, and sold to ignorant, gullible people. I know, because I was one of them, and wasted my money on disappointing trash......until I got sick of it all and started researching the subject. Now I build my own, superior in my opinion, systems from components.

By the way, berkey filters are whatever, but the following link is to the Doulton ceramic filters, which were the first, and are still the best of that type, once again, my opinion.

Water Filtration Systems. World's Leading Water Treatment Technologies

Medic17, SuperKramp and Roughneck75 like this.
  7. Dave L.

Dave L. Scout

Blog Posts:
    Alexapure has posted independent testing. Do you have any real proof to back up your claims? Honest question.

I've read their posted test and it looked legit but if you have some real info I would be glad to see it so I can dump my system and buy something else.

Here is their posted results: 12-23-15-15-353-AlexapurePro-Gross Beta

SuperKramp and Medic17 like this.
  8. perrymk

perrymk Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure if my experience is pertinent to you. If this is an off grid or well water situation, stop reading now; I am of little benefit to you. If this is about city water, read on.

A little about my experience. I grew up around alternative health. For a while my grandfather even sold water distillers. In the late 1990s I spent a few years working in an environmental chemistry lab (I am a chemist) testing drinking water. Today I am a bit of a water snob.

In the lab we have a deionization (DI) system. I think it runs in the $25000 range. I believe the filters are several hundred per year. In my house I have a reverse osmosis (RO) system. It runs under $200, and $50-100 per year for replacement filters. I have tested water from both and while the DI is certainly better, the RO is remarkably good. In my house I set up a separate tap for the RO and use city water for washing, RO for drinking and cooking. I suspect well water, especially well water high in minerals, might quickly clog an RO membrane but never actually tested this theory.

The next best water purifier is a distiller. This can be used on just about any water including well water or run off. If chemicals with a boiling point less than water are a concern then a carbon filter can be added. Of course a distiller is more energy and labor intensive and requires some maintenance.

I haven't done much except some light reading regarding the gravity fed filters like Berkey and Sawyer so won't offer any thoughts on those. I hope this is of some help.

SuperKramp and Dave L. like this.
  9. Dave L.

Dave L. Scout

Blog Posts:
    We have been using this Distiller for about 6 months and couldn't be happier. We KNOW we are drinking clean water.

SuperKramp and perrymk like this.
  10. WisconsinEric

WisconsinEric Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have two Berky purifiers, one 2gal "Big" Berkey and a 3gal "Royale"Berkey. The black elements in my 2gal are 5yrs old, and I have put 2gal/day through them for 5yrs. Believe it or not I have only scrubbed them once, and that was 2yrs ago.

I have never had an issue with the PF-2 Fluoride/Arsenic removing elements either. The fluoride elements are supposed to be replaced every year, but mine are currently 18mos old(I may be getting a bit of the Kool-Aid). They are past due for replacement. Fluoride slows thyroid function, and is bad for joints/bones.

Next month I plan on replacing all elements in my 5yr old 2gal Berkey. I have already replaced the fluoride elements 3-4x. They never plugged up tho.

Dave L. and SuperKramp like this.
  11. SuperKramp

SuperKramp Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the link. Scrounging around now, I've found a test from the same lab(Envirotek) for the Berkey Black filters. I almost went blind but comparing the two, the Berkey does appear better on paper for the most part...at least in the heavy metals (Lead is a concern I have small children, pregnant wife) Zinc too although I don't know the effects, if any of fractionally higher Zinc levels. The Alexapure did slightly better with Pharmaceutical removals: .4% better (99.5 vrs 99.9). Probably others but I didn't pick up on them the first side by side.

I'm finding this research and comparison a bit of a rabbit hole. Any one else? ;)

Dave L. likes this.
  12. Ephemeral

Ephemeral Tracker

Blog Posts:

What did I say, as opposed to what you read into it?

I said, "The advertising is astronomical hype, verging on outright lies." The advertising, the words they put right up front, not the test results that they include way on down the line, and which is esoteric to many people who would be buying based upon the advertising hype. The actual test results are another issue altogether, and one that I did not address.

You might take issue with my leveling the accusation that their advertising is "verging on outright lying." I would ask you, what is lying? My definition is, the purposeful misrepresenting of reality in order to manipulate people. As should be evident, advertisers do this all the time, by presenting only certain information, and omitting much more. They choose words that evoke certain thoughts and emotions with the intent to manipulate, as opposed to dispassionately describing their product definitively, and letting the buyer come to their decision logically. They don't want customers to think logically, for themselves, rather they want the customer to believe, without further investigation, and buy, so that they can make money, not based upon the actual merits of their products, but rather by the effectiveness of their advertising, their economic propaganda campaign.

There are no magical filtering technologies, although many sellers would have people believe that they have come upon just that, brand new, undefined magical technologies that will solve all ones filtering needs........no need to educate oneself any further........just believe.......and pay.....now.

Good for you that you investigated the actual test results, but I fear most people do not do so. This means you are skeptical enough in the face of their spiel to want more proof, facts, before buying. Would that everybody would demand factual proof from the sellers of things.

What I said concerning the combination of the ceramic filter and the activated carbon should be considered, because it is a valid concern. I cut open a Doulton ceramic candle after using it, with cleanings when necessary to maintain flow rate, for seven years of continuous use, thousands of gallons, and checked out how much ceramic was left. It was thick enough that I figured I could have gone another seven years before it was too thin for safe use. My water contains iron, and I had to clean iron bacteria growth from the surface of the ceramic regularly, but even so, the ceramic had a lot of life left in it. Now if that candle had activated carbon in it, that I could not clean or replace, I seriously doubt it would have lasted as long as the ceramic candle itself. I run a separate carbon component inline, down stream, and I replace it at least every year. If my water was really contaminated, the interval would be shorter for replacement.

I think combining the carbon and ceramic is just for convenience, to make the system less complex for the user, who the seller knows doesn't want to have to keep up with things like this. So with the ceramic and carbon in combination, the user will be replacing the whole filter units when the carbon gets loaded up, and they taste something, or they will be drinking water that isn't filtered as they were lead to believe it would be.

About those test results.........what are they, what do they mean? They are a snapshot of the filter's capabilities when the filter is new, not necessarily after one has filtered three thousand gallons of toxic, pathogen contaminated water through it. Once again, even as the seller gives one factual data, they misrepresent the reality by omission of the realities of filter usage through time. Ask yourself how many of the substances they list in their lab report are filtered by the ceramic, and how many by the activated carbon. Then consider the useful life of each filtering substance. What would the lab results be when the filter is approaching the theoretical lifespan limit that the seller advertises it is capable of?

Why should I be so concerned about less than honest or forthcoming advertising, seeing as how it is seen as normal in our society, with our economic system. It is because I know that many, if not most people who would be looking to protect their health, and that of their loved ones by buying a water filter system, work hard for their money, and are rather trusting, and sadly gullible to some degree. I think it is immoral/unethical, especially if one is Christian, to manipulate people in order to get their money, by misrepresenting such important and expensive technology, in any degree. Too many people in our culture manipulate, and feed upon their fellow man simply for their own enrichment.......I am opposed to this philosophically. Even as the founding fathers of this country knew in their hearts, and stated unequivocally, that our form of governance could not endure without the spiritual underpinning of Christianity, so too does capitalism become something vicious and predatory without the moral/ethical guidance of Christian realization.

13. Dave L.

Dave L. Scout

Blog Posts:
    I really don't care about your eight paragraph philosophical dissertation on the marketing and sales of a product, nor is it the topic of this thread. I didn't read into anything, I'm purely interested in facts or logical reasons your opinions are based upon. You may have taken it personally, but that is your problem.

I appreciate your first-hand knowledge, although it's not enough to make me go out and buy another brand. I have an Alexapure for emergencies. We used it every day for 4 months and liked it, but it's now in storage.

I don't have a dog in the fight; I would immediately replace it in a heartbeat if I had some factual reasons to.

14. Ephemeral

Ephemeral Tracker

Blog Posts:

Dave L., you asked me, "Do you have any real proof to back up your claims?", and that question led me to believe that you misconstrued what I was criticizing about the water filter system in question. I clarified my intent, and then explained why I made such criticisms. I apologize if I offended you, bored you to tears, or insulted you in some way by doing so.

I never suggested that you discard your filter system in favor of any other particular brand, and as you have already invested what you have in it, I would think it foolish to do so.

I would hope that you would take into consideration what I said about the different capabilities of ceramic and activated carbon filters, in combination or as separate components.

It is simply logical to realize and acknowledge what the testing results that anybody presents, concerning their particular filter's capabilities for filtration actually mean.

The system you have, being used as you stated, for emergency use, will most likely do just fine.

I was approaching the issue of filtration systems in general as long term systems, as the sellers of the system in question would like you to think their system is, (5000gal capacity?) and pointing out one major design flaw, in my opinion, according to what I have learned.

I think you are being just a bit defensive about all this, and having invested that much in the system, I can understand why you would reject my criticisms of it, few that they were specifically.

Well Dave L, I just noticed that you are a seller of things, and perhaps you took what I said as some sort of personal indictment. I couldn't know what you think or do in your life, but realize that I was speaking my opinion in a general sense.

As to how my personal opinions on this subject may or may not apply to you, .........I guess if the shoe fits, it fits, and if it doesn't, then why get upset.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  15. jmoran92

jmoran92 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I have a Crown berkey and works well so far for almost two years now. I must agree tho its filters are a little hassle when changing them

16. K7JLJ

K7JLJ Tracker

Blog Posts:
  17. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts: