Homemade Canvas Tent

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Matthew Post, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Matthew Post

Matthew Post Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I’ve spent the day trying to turn a 12x16 canvas tarp into a tent. I think I’m doing pretty good so far. Just need to sew the buttons for the door and an opening for the stove pipe. Have any of you ever done this before? Any tips?

Attached Files:

2. FIELDCRAFTLTC

FIELDCRAFTLTC Roughian #10 Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Haven't tried this yet, but it looks like you are on a good path! Are you thinking of a hole for a stove?

S.Decker, buckfynn, Quinlan and 4 others like this.
  3. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I like it! Tell us more please. Waxed canvas? What size? Curved or rectangular? How many poles... :4:

S.Decker, buckfynn, Quinlan and 3 others like this.
  4. Matthew Post

Matthew Post Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yup I plan on using it as a hot tent this fall when I go on a week long hunting trip

5. Matthew Post

Matthew Post Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It’s not waxed but there is some type of weather proofing on it. It was originally 12x16 but I cut it to size, sewn the seams and put new grommets on it. It will be a single centre pole holding it up. I’ll probably just use a dead standing pine as a pole in the bush

6. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    So, it is an arc shaped piece now? Like a teepee cloth?

Kinda like... ?

00213CEB-4619-4382-BDBE-00D8283A4AD5.jpeg

S.Decker, buckfynn, Quinlan and 2 others like this.
  7. Matthew Post

Matthew Post Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I used this method from far north. It has a bit more square footage but not as tall as a teepee

8. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    That thar is a fine piece of work lad. joe

9. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  10. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Very neat. Did anyone catch how long the center pole is for the tent he made in the video? I’m thinking my tyvek tent could come about.

11. Quinlan

Quinlan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

Nice work @Matthew Post!

I am interested in making one for me as well. That video is very good, lots of detailed instructions even for an ignoramus like me. :D

Thanks for the heads-up @gohammergo. :dblthumb:

Regards,

Christos

12. Young Blacksmith

Young Blacksmith Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Using the 12x16 tarp, how big is it inside? Far North shows two and a stove, easy. I'm wondering if you can go smaller, and how small. 8x10, 10x12? I guess I need to do some practice with paper!

S.Decker, Quinlan and NevadaBlue like this.
  13. Matthew Post

Matthew Post Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It has plenty of room for 2 plus a stove. I think a 10x12 would make a decent 1 man. 8x10 if you’re little

14. Matthew Post

Matthew Post Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Mine should be the same size and the pole is around 6 feet

15. bosque bob

bosque bob Guide

Blog Posts:
    Great topic, thanks. Watching

Quinlan and Matthew Post like this.
  16. Young Blacksmith

Young Blacksmith Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Playing around with a paper pattern, a 8x10 tarp yields a Teepee approximately 7' 4" diameter on the ground, and about 3.5' at the peak. 10x12 would be about a 9' diameter, with a peak around 4' 5".

Small is small, but would be a light, useful pitch. I'd have to lay in the center, with sides for gear or wood or whatnot. Probably suspended by the peak. The medium is a little more spacious, and one internal pole would be just fine.

17. John from Alberta

John from Alberta Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Watched Lonnie's video above couple of times now. I've been wanting to make a packable bush sauna for a few years now for winter trips and it seems like using his method with some heavy weight clear plastic would be perfect. I would have to play around with the different sizes to see what would work best, but it would be light, cheap, and easy to setup regardless.

18. Bush Billy

Bush Billy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't know if Lonnie finished his project with the actual stove installed and running overnight. I would be very interested to see how moisture build-up was handled. I've never camped in a hot tent of any kind, but I have ice fished with heaters, and without reasonable ventilation it can get balmy in them. Carbon monoxide would be an even bigger issue. His set-up looked pretty air-tight.

19. Don_Parsons

Don_Parsons Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've seen the drawings many a time,,, one thing I've noticed is that most folks only do the 1/2 moon shape then sew the door-way in after... Yes and no in my books...

When I cut my tarp I did the 2/3 Moon,,, that way it leaves lots of extra material to over lap the out-side flap leaving a small portion at the bottom for venting...

Then use buckles to pull the second inside flap closed,,, they act as a double door that keeps the tent warmer and waaaaay less chances of rain getting in on those down poor days...

The real benefit too the 2/3's Moon is that there is no sewing required to add a door,,, only the top and bottom need sticking along with the location of the straps that will be used for the doors/ flaps... Oh,,, and the flap edges need sewing too...

Then add tie off points about 1/2 way all along the Outter walls of the teepee,,, 5 or 7 will work,,, these tie off points will help on the wet and rainy days as well as winter snow,,, they will be used to pull the material out-ward to prevent the walls from sagging in-ward...

The more it rains and snows the more the wall will bow in-ward...

One thing I've noticed since adding the out-side 1/2 way tie off points,,, I gained a 1/3 more volume in my tent and it helps keep the tarp planted solid to the ground on the winds days,,, of course I have doubled up the ground stakes to 1 stake every 12",,, leave lots of tarp along the bottom since you can fold it over as a double seal...

That way you won't have to sew that part either...

There you have it,,, the idea of """To sew or not to sew...""""

Cheers from the North

Don

PS: Don't forget to add adjustable air vents for the stove and the long stick tie off to the top flap for closing on the down poors... Its easier to close the top vent on the ground since most humans can't reach up there by hand

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  20. Matthew Post

Matthew Post Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I actually did most of the things you suggested here. I’m glad I had the presence of mind to leave enough material for overlapping flap. I’m curious what kind of straps you use for holding the flap?

S.Decker likes this.
  21. Don_Parsons

Don_Parsons Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Whoops,,, I forgot to add...

When choosing a canvas tarp for the 2/3's half Moon,,, pick a larger one,,, yes,,, its going to cost a fraction more then the 1/2 moon tarp lay out,,, but it cuts down on the extra sewing time... Ha

One half dozen or the other it costs the same in time or material,,, pretty sure that most folks would rather save time and have less chances of leaks and getting the canvas seam to stitch flat,,, those double up seams are tuff to join and keep flat,,, """none of that to worry about when going with the 2/3's half moon...

What about the extra material left over after the cut,,, its not wasted since those 4 corner sections become the ground cover that gets put into its own separate bundle...

Do not place the ground tarp near or under the wood or small out-side venting stove / heater... There's no reason the H/S can't sit on the dirt ground...

Now what's the part I talked about on this top teepee roof flap with tie lash to a reach stick,,,, or do I mean vent...

This is over looked by alot of folks,,, one thing most of us know is the dreaded moisture thing,,, all shelters,,, buildings,,, huts,,, and tents have one thing in common,,, moisture build up,,, and it goes straight up to the roof...

Once the moisture reaches the peak it has no place to go,,, so it attaches to anything and everything,,, the wizest idea is to allow a way for it to escape """when""" needed...

The flap can easily be tied off to a long stick or home made pole to open or close,,, plus a person can add an extra bug screen up there to keep them out of the tent... A win win in my books...

Now you have a way to get a small or large amount of air flow,,, when cooking you simply use the top flap stick to open the flap to let the steam out of the tent...

Adjust the flow as needed,,, then at night time a person can close it part way to hold in more heat,,, when we are sleeping it's easy to adjust the top flap with the reach stick... Ha... Who wants to climb out of a warm coosy sleeping bag to do this... LOL...

The next trick is to have your feet close to the door of your teepee,,, that way you can use your foot or another tie-off stick to allow for more air flow,,, a person gets pretty good at this after spending some time camping,,, after awhile you'll know exactly how much opening is needed to keep the teepee warm and """dry""",,,

PS: Make sure to set the teepee on a small rise above the surrounding ground,,, that way no rain water run off will get in when the down poors roll in...

We call it the mound,,, if the teepee is set up on a parcel slope or rise on a finger bluff,,, this rain water / melting snow run off idea will still work...

Use a stick,,, shovel,,, pick axe to make a buffer on the up side of the slope,,, that way the water that runs down the slope won't make it to the tent,,, cut a few run-off channels up top...

Lay some long small sticks in a V longer than the edges of the teepee,,, cut the channel and put the dirt,,, clay ontop of the sticks as a buffer...

Or wet snow,,, once natural snow has been handled it will freeze the sticks and ground making a run-off dike,,, it only takes a few minutes to prep run-off channels """if"" needed...

Of course most of us tent / teepee folks know this,,, ground prep is 90% of a good over night trip into the wilds...

A short one nighter still requires ground prep,,, nothing worse than waking up in the morning in a lake... Ha...

Like the old guy said... """If you fail to plan your plan will fail."""

Don't over think it,,, keep it simple and learn what works best over time... Sharing in ideas saves alot of time and efforts they say...

Cheers from the North

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    S.Decker and LongChinJon like this.
  22. Matthew Post

Matthew Post Tracker

Blog Posts:
    826E891D-2023-4EE1-B1FB-049A5C6A92AB.jpeg Tent is more or less done. Giving it a little test today

23. Matthew Post

Matthew Post Tracker

Blog Posts:
  24. Lee C.

Lee C. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's really something.. I have almost no ability to sew or make something like this... Some really talented folks around here...never fails to amaze me!

25. Stags Crest

Stags Crest Crafty McBushcraft Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks great man! You will have to do a trip report when you take it out!

Matthew Post likes this.
  26. Matthew Post

Matthew Post Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have almost no ability to sew either, and it shows haha