Homemade UQ

Discussion in 'Hammocks' started by Dandaman, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Dandaman

Dandaman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Finally got around to making an underquilt. The blanket is from Kohls but its very similar to the Costco blankets. I had never used a sewing machine before so it took almost 7 hours to make but I'm very happy with how it turned out. Unfortunately I haven't had a good chance to try it out yet except a little bit inside but will post pics of it in action when I do.
    [​IMG]

I followed these videos to make it.

2. camp casey

camp casey Guide

Blog Posts:
    Looks like you did a good job on it, any idea the weight?
    Perfect summer weight quilt, added to my build list.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  3. Dandaman

Dandaman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    As in the fill power? The package said 650 but it also said it was 60x80 and it was not quite 60x70 so who knows. :33:

Scotchmon, NevadaBlue, Broke and 2 others like this.
  4. camp casey

camp casey Guide

Blog Posts:
    What is the total weight of the quilt?
    Looks like it’s light.

5. Dandaman

Dandaman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Oops sorry. It weighs in at 1 lb 3 ounces. Several ounces is all the webbing and bungee cord that was added.

6. AngryDaddyBird

AngryDaddyBird Guide

Blog Posts:
  7. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just checked Kohl’s website and their quilts are on sale now at $29.99! Sale ends 2/25/2018. Gotta get over there today and get me some!!

Dandaman, NevadaBlue and camp casey like this.
  8. camp casey

camp casey Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the heads up, could use one myself.

Dandaman, Scotchmon and NevadaBlue like this.
  9. camp casey

camp casey Guide

Blog Posts:
    Store was out but they were on sale, so I managed to order one for home delivery $25 and free shipping.
    Gotta like that.

Scotchmon and Dandaman like this.
  10. Scotchmon

Blog Posts:
    Definitely! Scored two. I’m wondering if I couldn’t do a double layered UQ.

Kreger, Dandaman and camp casey like this.
  11. camp casey

camp casey Guide

Blog Posts:
    There are lots of options from what I have seen on hammock forum, from dbl layering to adding more down, truly amazing options.
    I was thinking of removing some of seams to improve loft, will see how it looks when it gets here, I have a 20 degree under quilt to use as an example.
    Like to see what you come up with.

Kreger and Dandaman like this.
  12. Scotchmon

Blog Posts:
    These are definitely on the LIGHT side of loft. I can’t imagine paying the regular price for it, but at the sale price it’s a good value.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  13. Scotchmon

Blog Posts:
    Nice work!

14. Dandaman

Dandaman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was considering doing that but for me anyway, I think it would be a little too warm in the summer months. And I don't want any more bulk or weight.

camp casey, Kreger and Scotchmon like this.
  15. Scotchmon

Blog Posts:
    I hear ya! Thinking of a possible snap in layer utilizing the second blanket.
    Looking at some other build vids I see some remove stitching to change the baffles. I ‘m guessing if I was to do this I would remove them in opposite directions so when layered the baffles would oppose each other.
    Do you simply have only the shock cord at the ends with no cordage running the length?
    No sewing machine experience here either but I do have access to one. This looks like a great project to learn from!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Dandaman, camp casey and Kreger like this.
  16. Dandaman

Dandaman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I do just have shock cord at the ends but I think I change it so it does run the length. If nothing else it would eliminate a toggle or two(or 3).
    I have read that people like to rip out the stitching but would all the down fall to one spot? Because I thought the purpose of the baffles was so it spreads evenly?

Scotchmon likes this.
  17. Scotchmon

Blog Posts:
    Especially with the minimum of down in these quilts I believe I will leave as is.
    Can you explain your reason for the possible cordage change? Did you encounter a problem in the way it hangs?
    Aren’t the toggles just for shortening the end bungees/ gathering?

18. Dandaman

Dandaman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Right now I have a bungee cord across each end that goes the width of the blanket to gather the ends with a toggle on each corner(thats the white cord in picture btw).
    My suspension shock I have a separate piece on both ends and a toggle at each end of the shock cord so 2 for each end. So the first reason I would change it to just one long piece is to reduce the number of toggles.
    Second, to be able to slide the entire UQ back and forth. With the seperate pieces, you have loosen one end and then tighten the other in order to move it.
    And third, I like to have the UQ wrap around the hammock and have the cord go up on top of the hammock, not up the sides. But in order to do that with the toggles, I have to undo the cord from the toggles each time, bring the cord to the top, and then rethread the cord through the toggles. But I bought a pair of the dutchware ridgeline quilt hooks that will work much better for that. They will work the way I have it now but they will work better if I have one continuous piece.
    If none this makes any sense, let me know and I will try to make a video explaining it. Its rather hard to explain without actually talking.

Scotchmon likes this.
  19. Scotchmon

Blog Posts:
    I’d say you explained it quite well! I’ve looked at some of the Dutchware hardware, and since it’s new to me, I’m going to see first what I can do with small S biners. I’m sure the guys at Dutchware have it all thought out, though.
    In your opinion, do you think the cordage running the length would be better to be shock cord or a version of para cord? I picked up some 550 and some lighter stuff as well along with 30’ of shock cord.
    Also, given you are considering lengthwise cordage for ease of lateral movement, do you still see a need for the webbing border at the sides, or would the cordage make that unnecessary ?

20. Dandaman

Dandaman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Paracord won't work. The UQ would turn into the hammock.
    In my case anyway, I need the side webbing because I am going to run the shock cord through it. I stitched on each side of it so it creates a tube.

camp casey and Scotchmon like this.
  21. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Scout

Blog Posts:
    I use a double layer Costco uq. The second layer attached with plastic snaps. I don't rip any seams. I rate each layer at 50f, so a double takes me down to 30f. Same for the top quilts. I sewed channels on both sides and ends. Shock cord through each channel. The ends have cord locks to adjust to allow more/less ventilation. Sides have the shock cord running all the way through connecting to s-biners at each end to attach to hammock suspension. I sewed button holes in the center of the side channels to pull the shock cord through with cord locks for easy adjustment while in the hammock. I'll add some pics in a minute.

Scotchmon and Dandaman like this.
  22. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Scout

Blog Posts:
  23. Dandaman

Dandaman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Is there much of a gap between the blankets? If there is, do you think you lose more warmth than if you had sewed them together?

24. Dandaman

Dandaman Tracker

Blog Posts:
  25. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't think I lose any warmth. The second layer bunches up nicely which I feel adds extra insulation.

The center adjustment is the best part of my design. I'll often cinch them tight and tie the extra length together over the ridgeline.

camp casey, Scotchmon and Dandaman like this.
  26. Scotchmon

Blog Posts:
    I ended up with shock corded ends to gather( cordlocks on both sides, 4 total). The sides folded over and sewn to create channels and I ran a continuous shock cord through these with s biners(2, one at each end). I also sewed webbing on these channels to help retain the shape and reduce any sag. I will need to play with the length of the side shock cord to see how the quilt hangs under the hammock.
    The second inner quilt will be snapped in.
    I really like the button hole adjustment idea.

Dandaman and davidchagrin like this.
  27. Scotchmon

Blog Posts:
    302453C1-94D6-4DEA-9099-21B1E745EB2A.jpeg Finished up and test hung the underquilt. Very happy with it. I rigged it with snaps for the inside quilt.
    Tried to upload a video but got an “error about allowed extension”. Video was only 36 seconds(?).

Dandaman, davidchagrin and camp casey like this.
  28. camp casey

camp casey Guide

Blog Posts:
    Wow that’s a sharp looking under quilt, received mine today, time to get to work on it.

Dandaman, Scotchmon and davidchagrin like this.
  29. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well done and looks great! Remember to cinch it up as close as possible to your body without compressing the down to achieve optimal warmth. The two together should be good down to around 30f. If you add another, it'll get you down to around 10f.
    I'm unaware of anyone's experience level with UQs, so I hope I don't sound rude giving pointers. If you are using a sleeping bag in lieu of a top quilt, unzip it down to the foot box and wear it like a blanket. More warmth is regenerated by the uq if your back is against the hammock.

Dandaman, camp casey and Scotchmon like this.
  30. Scotchmon

Blog Posts:
    I always appreciate pointers! An upside sleeping bag with a zipped foot box is the plan.
    This build was a great intro for me in the use of a sewing machine, too.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Dandaman, davidchagrin and camp casey like this.
  31. Flash

Flash Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have seen a few videos on using the Costco quilts as an under quilt. I have 2 of them, at $20 each I picked up a few awhile back. I have used one as a light top quilt in warm weather, my lightest top quilt for my hammock is 20 deg, over kill for a summer night in my area. I find they do a good job is keeping you warm as long as the temperature does not drop too low. A big limitation is the sew pattern (boxes) over long baffles. I did see a video where someone pulled out the cross stitching to aid in the loft. I have never tried to use it as an under quilt, but if you are able to get it to hang close to the bottom of the hammock, no reason it would not work and the price is right.

davidchagrin and Dandaman like this.
  32. camp casey

camp casey Guide

Blog Posts:
    F5EE2E90-BB4E-44B7-8650-73CEA9360968.jpeg Worked on my Kohl’s under quilt, added some down, sewed channels on the side for shock cord, waiting on some ribbon for the ends.
    Nice project to learn from.

33. Camplifebros

Camplifebros Tracker

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

I sewed a couple of Costco quilts directly onto my hammock as an experiment. It turned out alright. I was able to sleep through the night at about 30F. I don't think it could go much lower than that. But boy was it easier to set up and take down the hammock and UQ!

It definitely eliminated any drafts. I was worried about compressing the down when I laid in it, so I sewed some darts/pleats in the UQ to create some space for when I lied down in the hammock. But I think I sewed too many darts/pleats and it ended up sagging at the butt.

Really interesting project, definitely going to try to sew a UQ onto a hammock again. I have the whole project up on our Camplifebros site in the link below if you wanna check it out.

https://www.camplifebros.com/diy-insulated-costco-quilt-hammock.html

[​IMG]

34. Flash

Flash Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I love DIY projects, and have seen a bunch with a costco blanket. At $20 each, I picked up 2 awhile back, but have not done anything with them other then using one as a lightweight top quilt in the summer. I have a question, why sew the under quilt to the hammock? Shock cord is cheap and it's easy to setup and adjust an under quilt that way. I often vent my under quilt when it's warm by adjusting the hang,.. it seems you miss out on some of the function of the under quilt attaching it directly to the hammock? Not saying it's wrong, I have never tried this kind of setup.

Thanks again for sharing

Dandaman likes this.
  35. Camplifebros

Camplifebros Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've made a couple of the more traditional Costco UQ with shock cord suspension, and they work great.

With the insulated hammock, I lost some of the ability to adjust by sewing on the UQ, but I also don't have to worry about drafts from the calf-ridge and set up and packing is much easier. So it's basically a wash. I wouldn't say one is better than the other.

I use a combination of the sewn in insulated hammock with the shock cord suspension Coscto UQ for my year round sleep system.

During the spring and fall, I'll use the insulated hammock by itself. During the winter, I still use the insulated hammock, but I'll also attach one of the shock cord UQ's for additional insulation. That's worked just fine in temperatures of 20-25 degrees F. I also have an additional shock cord UQ that I could attach if it got any colder, but I've never had to do that.

For about $80, I bought 4 Costco blankets, and that nets me a year round hammock sleep system. It was a pretty cost effective way to get started with hammock camping year round.

The whole DIY Costco blanket stuff is a pretty good start for learning how to sew. I'm just a beginner and I learned that even when you mess up, you still end up with a product that still functions great. It's pretty encouraging.

https://www.camplifebros.com/

Broke, Dandaman, davidchagrin and 2 others like this.
  36. Kreger

Kreger Guide

Blog Posts:
    @Camplifebros, I really like that idea. Has it affected the comfort of your hammock at all? I'm wondering if you can feel that the blanket is sewn onto the hammock?

Dandaman likes this.
  37. Camplifebros

Camplifebros Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I can't feel it at all. I thought that it might be a problem, that I would be able to feel the seams, but that is not the case.

Kreger likes this.