Hornet bites!

Discussion in 'Bush Medicine' started by 9 Iron, Oct 2, 2018.

1. 9 Iron

9 Iron Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Was out deer hunting today and I stumbled right into some sort of wasp nest in the ground. Suddenly they were flying up out of a hole in the ground and bit me all over. I ran like mad and swatted them away as best I could, but by the time they gave up the pursuit and left me alone I had a couple dozen very painful bites. They were bites, not stings, from large yellow wasps that looked like yellow jackets. Welts immediately popped up on each bite and you could see little holes in my flesh where I’d been chomped on. I was wearing a lightweight Sitka Core merino wool long sleeve shirt and they actually bit me through the shirt. Got a few on my neck and head as well. Savage, horrible things, wasps are!

I carry a bare bones first aid kit. Since I’m not allergic to insect or bee stings I carry nothing special for this kind of thing. Aside from a couple of tylenol, I had nothing to adress this with. The welts are starting to subside now (I’m at home, 4 hours later) but it still itches like mad, and I developed a headache shortly afterwards that hasn’t gone away (could just be from the stress and heat, it was quite warm today).

I like to travel light, my kit is a minimalistic one. Any ideas or experiences with dealing with this kind of thing, and what do/would you carry in your first aid kit, if anything?

mugsy, Michael OD, 1911srule and 6 others like this.
  2. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    Dude...

That sucks.

I would clean the bites with soap and water and keep them clean.

Beyond that, I would consider wearing a long sleeve bdu style shirt and pants when going into the woods.

3. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    I carry a plug of tobacco with me for things like that, I find that chewing a bit, and then placing on the sting / bite, helps to relieve the pain. Not a complete fix, but it helps

4. 9 Iron

9 Iron Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was wearing heavy duck Carhartt pants, leather Danner boots, and the shirt was a long sleeve lightweight wool blend. We were at around 4500 feet in the Sierra Nevada range and the temps were near 80 degrees. All things considered, I was about as covered as I was going to get in that environment. It was a heavily cut burn area ( big forest fire there a few years back) and the ground was pretty tore up. Must be a ripe environment for the evil buggers.

5. Metaldog

Metaldog Scout

Blog Posts:
    Add a small bottle of Tea Tree Oil to your IFK. The oil will help to kill the sting and cleanse the wound, helping to prevent infection. Another thing to add, if you don't have it is aspirin tablets. A crushed tablet, mixed with water to make a paste, and applied to the sting will help reduce swelling and kill the sting. ;)

SmilinJoe, mugsy, hidden_lion and 6 others like this.
  6. Young Blacksmith

Young Blacksmith Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mud, baking soda, and tobacco are the only remedies I know of for wasp stings. Good to know crushed aspirin works like that!

7. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My daughter's school Principal uses meat tenderizer and the kids all swear it works. Dual purpose pack item too. ;)

designtom, mugsy, Winterhorse and 3 others like this.
  8. Metaldog

Metaldog Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is true. Meat tenderizer does work. I usually don't mention it because it is derived from the papaya plant, and some folks are allergic to it. Nothing like adding more itching & scratching to an already itchy & scratchy problem. :(

9. Hillbilly stalker

Hillbilly stalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Be careful, if you took 2 dozen or so hits....you might be allergic now. Throw a Benadryl or 2 in your kit just in case.

JeffG, mugsy, hidden_lion and 9 others like this.
  10. svh

svh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm not allergic, but always carry Benadryl, mainly in case the dogs take a hit in the face/throat from a copperhead.

JeffG, mugsy, Winterhorse and 4 others like this.
  11. akhntr

akhntr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In a pinch, pee on the dirt, put a dab of the mud on a bite or sting, weird but it works. Reduces swelling and the burn/itch. Sounds like you found a Yellowjacket ground nest, that's bad. They can really mess up a guy.

12. Harper

Harper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    ---

I carry Benadryl in all my kits in case of a reaction--and I'm not a big fan of OTC meds. But Benadryl is a good one to keep on hand.

There are a lot of things you can use . Here are just a few of them:

1. Plantain. It is some of the best stuff out there for bites and stings. It is easily identifiable and ubiquitous. I keep an ointment made from the stuff in my refrigerator. It has "drawing" as well as soothing properties to deal with the toxins. Do a search for it here on the site.

2. Aloe Vera gel. An increasing number of people have this at home now.

3. A paste made out of equal parts baking soda and vinegar. Most people have these constituents at home. This paste will also have "drawing" properties. Even plain Apple Cider Vinegar should offer some relief.

4. Tea Tree Oil as mentioned above. Also, Lavender oil.

5. Activated charcoal. Make a paste.

6. Witch Hazel. This will help with the itching. Keep it cold in your refrigerator for added relief.

7. Calendula cream.

8. Fresh Garlic cloves. Make sure you get the juice--that's the part that really makes it work.

9. Turmeric. A great anti-inflammatory.

10. Fresh Basil.

11. Fresh Parsley.

12. Sliced potatos or cucumbers. They should provide some relief, but I would use some of the other things listed.

Ice/Cold packs can also provide some initial relief.

I avoid tobacco because of what they put in it. I also avoid meat tenderizers because they often contain MSG.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    SmilinJoe, Doubles, mugsy and 6 others like this.
  13. 9 Iron

9 Iron Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the responses. At the very least I will add some benadryl capsules and some aspirin to my first aid kit.

I worked all day today and the bites were really itching and irritating. When I got home the welts had quadrupled in size and are pretty red. My wife gave me some antihistamines and I put some hydrocortisone cream on them. I think the itching probably just irritated them, but if things aren’t better by the morning I’m going to the doctor.

14. FreudianSlip

FreudianSlip Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like this plan. I had some chigger bites once that swelled up to the size of golf balls. Doc said they were infected leading to the swelling. I hate those darn things.

15. Top Gibson

Top Gibson Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    yellow jackets....!! A pinch of wet snuff immediately....a benadryl tablet, and I keep a benadryl stick with me for insect bites. They will itch for a week.

16. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    Liberal wiping with apple cider vinegar or white if that's all ya got when you got home. Without anything I'd try urine in the field but its not proven effective...I wonder if pine, cedar, wood ash, clay from a creek bank would have any effect. OUCH...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    Metaldog likes this.
  17. 9 Iron

9 Iron Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well I went to the doctor today and he said it was clear that there were so many bites/stings that my body wasn’t able to deal with it. There was both a local and systemic reaction going on (redness and big time swelling moving far out in the tissue beyond the sting areas). I am now taking a 5 day treatment of both Keflex (500 mg 3 times a day) and Prednisone (20mg twice a day). I have put a Benadryl itch stick in my first aid bag and did my best rendition of a witch doctor summoning a plague upon all nasty yellow flying biting stinging evil insects. May they suffer and die, never to return to prey on the unsuspecting old geezer again.

SmilinJoe, backlasher, mugsy and 2 others like this.
  18. Morrow7x

Morrow7x Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ugh... the wife had a hornet get stuck in her cycling glove a couple months ago. At first it looked like her finger was going to morph into a lobster claw. +1 on Benadryl and vinegar...

mugsy likes this.
  19. Harper

Harper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

Don't forget about probiotics when you take antibiotics. They can really screw up your stomach. The more "strains" the better--this is different than the billions of cells they talk about on the label. You can usually get one with 10 or 12 strains at the drug store. Ask the pharmacist.

SmilinJoe, mugsy and 9 Iron like this.
  20. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Where I live meat tenderizer was the cure for jellyfish stings for years, then they changed the formula and it doesn’t work anymore. Vinegar still helps though and tobacco works as well, never chewed but I’ve worn plenty of Redman and Levi Garrett.

backlasher and mugsy like this.
  21. Top Gibson

Blog Posts:
    a couple of months back, I got hit 3 times in a matter of seconds. I'd already seen the stump hole that had what looked like thousands of yellow jackets in it. But I was far enough away that they didn't all swarm me like they are known to do. I hit the bites with some snuff on the spot and took a benadryl when I got back to my camp site. Later, I hit them with the benadryl stick......several times over the next couple of days.

mugsy likes this.
  22. Top Gibson

Blog Posts:
    You live close to Pinelog Creek around Ebro, FL ??

mugsy likes this.
  23. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yes been in the Panama City area my whole life.

mugsy likes this.
  24. mcblade

mcblade Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I read somewhere that when your out in the woods and you get bumped by a wasp you need to turn around and go back or around the area because they are telling you that you are to close to the hive and if you keep coming we are going to hurt you.

mugsy likes this.
  25. Top Gibson

Blog Posts:
    I live about 70 miles north of PCB.

mugsy and Pinelogcreek like this.
  26. Hillbilly stalker

Hillbilly stalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm no M.D,but I believe I would keep a couple Benydril capsules in my kit . The sticks may help the itch or swelling at the sting sight. I believe the danger would be swelling in the air ways.....thus the capsules. Next trip to the Docs office I would ask just to be on the safe side. I Can handle itching and superficial swelling, but you start loosing the ability to breath, that's serious. That's why most Southern hounds men keep Benydril for dogs getting snake bit.

mugsy likes this.
  27. mugsy

mugsy Guide

Blog Posts:
    thats right, a buddy of mine had been stung many times without issue and then couple years ago he had a MAJOR
    reaction

28. Ron

Ron Guide

Blog Posts:
    I can relate to your experience, having had a similar one.
    Here in Sweden there are groundswasps too. Big and mean creatures. And by the sound of it they were stings, but their stinger is big enough to actually leave a hole in your skin! And the burn....... A bandage with simple vinegar will do the trick in making it bareble.
    Here they are know as rödband getingar or redstriped wasps. A lot larger then regular wasps, not as large as a full blown hornet.

29. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Very true about the meat tenderizer but I've never used the vinegar or tobacco. Wade fishing since my early teen's, I've run into a lot of jellyfish.