Horse Mounted Running Bison Kill with 1911 Pistol, 45acp or 10mm?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by Torrin, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Torrin

Torrin Pan Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When I saw this kill on Mountain Men season 8 episode 9 "No Guts, No Glory" I was blown away. Made by Harry Youren of Idaho while chasing the running Bison from horseback. It happens so fast you barely get to see him draw the pistol and shoot.

My question is what caliber do you think he used?
    I haven't been able to find a clip of the scene. To watch it I think you have to be able to watch the full episode of this current season.

It's pretty unbelievable to me. Harry was hunting the Bison herd with his brother when the herd started to run. They decided Harry would flank them and push them back towards brother Kidd. I was not expecting Harry to suddenly draw a 1911 pistol and shoot a Bison. His shot was apparently a very good one and he took the animal easily, according to the editing.

I wish I could find out what caliber his pistol was, but I have to assume it wasn't a 45acp. I don't think that was a very good decision even if it was 10mm, but it worked and sure made for good TV.

I paused the frames best I could and it looks like he's got a Colt Delta Elite. Just my best guess.

JeffG, alukban, T. Pollock and 3 others like this.
  2. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Why do you assume it wasn’t a .45?

central joe, pab1 and kronin323 like this.
  3. Torrin

Torrin Pan Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I guess because I wouldn't dream of shooting a running Bispn with a 45acp. It seems reckless to me.

4. CSM1970

Blog Posts:
    Well, yeah I gotta agree but if I was going to ride in a herd of running buff, I would want a large boolit to put one down. 10 mm is only .39 inches.

JeffG, Birdman, central joe and 2 others like this.
  5. DKR

DKR Guide

Blog Posts:
    I would shoot a bison with a .45

a 45-70.

6. lodge camper

lodge camper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    phony bison hunt.
    tracking a tagged animal must require major skills.
    and shooting a buffalo from a private herd is soo lame.
    alaskan bush people did same thing.
    just another made-for-tv-bison hunt. lol.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  7. Torrin

Torrin Pan Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I understand, and agree on hunting farmed animals in high fences. This looked pretty good though. Have you seen the episode I'm talking about?

JeffG, M.Hatfield and central joe like this.
  8. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The Comanches, and the Spanish settlers in NM in the 1600-1850 time period, used to hunt bison with lances and bows. A gun of any kind, like a flint lock musket, was a rare luxury. One or two very brave guys would chase after the bison on horseback, and try to wound a few of them as seriously as possible. Then come back around and finish them off. Other people, with their primitive wagons and carts would follow, doing the butchering. A 1911 .45 ACP in the hands of those guys would have been very effective. Just ride really close to the bison, and shoot it behind the ear, or stick a lance thru its ribs.

9. pab1

pab1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    This just reinforces why I don't miss cable TV.

I personally wouldn't use either round mentioned for bison. I don't understand the OP stating that a 45ACP would be reckless and a 10mm wouldn't be?

10. lodge camper

lodge camper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    it was some fancy editing they did there. looks like a real life bison hunt up until it wasn't. the one that got shot was not part of the herd! not another buffalo was around.

i like the show. it's just not real.

11. goon

goon Scout

Blog Posts:
    The slide locked back in that episode, so he must have used seven or eight rounds at least.

Having said that, meat is meat. And getting meat can be a brutal, ugly thing. And two guys making a living as cowboys might need to take all the opportunities for meat and income they can get.

Sandcut, Torrin, central joe and 2 others like this.
  12. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Good point!!! young fellar. joe

13. Torrin

Torrin Pan Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I understand your point, and at that range the difference between the rounds isn't as extreme. I have shot and killed large animals for meat with both the 45acp and 10mm and there is a big difference between them, for typical hunting of large game.

central joe and M.Hatfield like this.
  14. jcs271

jcs271 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I watched that episode also, you never see the actual shot that puts it down. Just goes from him riding and firing a shot to a picture showing a dead buff on the ground. Something tells me it was not pretty or they would have shown it. Editing cleans up a lot of nonsense and messes.

JeffG, Birdman, central joe and 3 others like this.
  15. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I thought is was a 454 casual.

16. CSM1970

Blog Posts:
    The Colorado State History Museum (now closed) used to have a display of BP buffalo guns used during the great slaughter. These were the sniper rifles of the time. As I recall, the barrels were 4-5 feet long, 2” in diameter, .60-.70 bore. I don’t know how much powder they used. But the guns weighed 30-40 pounds and they shot using a pair of crossed sticks to support the barrel. I think they were knocking down buff at ranges over 200-300 yards. One man shooting and one man skinning, dawn to dusk. I bet they ate well.

Birdman and Torrin like this.
  17. clueless on the delaware

clueless on the delaware Scout

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't do it, but i suppose it's possible. I read somewhere once that when the Army put out the procurement order for what became their new pistol round back in 1907, one of the requirements was the ability to stop a charging cavalry horse at 25 feet.

18. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I would use a 10mm if it was loaded like it was originally designed. People have killed grizzly bears with 10mm.

A 45acp??? NOT EVER! Shoot a deer with one and tell me how that worked out for you. It works good if you are standing over a wounded deer and you put one in the head or heart. I used one when we used to party hunt for deer to put wounded deer down. We were mainly doing population control for friends that were farmers. We killed lots of deer every year. Some were still alive when we got to them.

I got belittled on another forum because of this. And we donated almost all the meat to local food pantries. But if the DNR was called in to do this for us they would have left them lay in the fields.

tree-ratsniper and JeffG like this.
  19. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I still don't understand why 10mm is supposed to be a better choice than 45acp for this foolhardy scenario. That's the only reason I've been following this thread.

20. pab1

pab1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    That was my take on this thread as well. While the 10mm is around the same level as the .41 mag, I consider both rounds borderline for big game. I've seen elk taken with a 45acp, but I would never consider using that round for big game.

The .454 Casull, named after its creator Dick Casull, (I'm sure that was a "talk to text" correction), is a handgun round I would trust in this scenario.

tree-ratsniper and Birdman like this.
  21. Offshore Angler

Offshore Angler Scout

Blog Posts:
    Been a lot of buffalo killed with a lot less than those two caliber's mentioned, guess all those Indians were going about it all wrong, laughable. I think many have forgotten the beauty of the well placed shot, and some try to make up for their lack of shooting skills, and patients by going bigger. Nothing wrong with going big, but a misplaced shot is still a misplaced shot, and most likely no matter what size the caliber your not going to be happy with the results.

Offshore Angler

22. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just a few years ago a guy took down a buffalo with a .45 cal pre charged pneumatic air gun.
    No gun powder,
    no primer ,
    no shell.
    Just boom and a thump the buffalo hits the dust.

23. Blackhawk45hunter

Blackhawk45hunter Pronounced sim-bee-duh Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    The reason, is sectional density. The actual diameter of the bullet difference between the two is extremely small, but a 200 grain .41 bullet will penetrate a lot better than a 230 grain .452 bullet. In killing stuff, penetration is the name of the game.

Overall though, I completely agree with pab1, both are far too anemic to ethically pursue anything that size.

tree-ratsniper, pab1 and kronin323 like this.
  24. Birdman

Birdman IG: @ChasingTheBackcountry Supporter

Blog Posts:
    First, I hate "reality" TV.
    Second, IMO shooting Bison with either .45acp or 10mm is a stupid choice.
    Third, 10mm isn't THAT much better than 45acp, for that to even be an issue.

With all that said, I've read many accounts of guys shooting Buffalo from horseback with BP revolvers making around 250 FPE, with round balls. Shooting them as many times as they can, then waiting for them to run out of gas.
    Not my idea of hunting...

25. Offshore Angler

Offshore Angler Scout

Blog Posts:
    LOL, we have to remember hunting back then was for survival, not an outdoor past time like it is today for most. Your right those methods they used back then had no ethics figured into the equation, but hunger sure did. I bet if you get hungry enough your views, and ethics could very well be reconsidered.

Offshore Angler

26. Offshore Angler

Offshore Angler Scout

Blog Posts:
    On a personal note, I have always wanted to hunt buffalo, but I have always wanted to hunt them via horse back. Yes I have always wanted to ride in and shot off a running horse at a running buffalo, don't ask me why just something that caught my fancy. LOL I thought that at this point with game laws of today,that maybe that dream had passed me by like a lot of things have in life. I guess it could happen on one of those private ranches, but at what cost ? I'm also getting up in years now, and to tell the truth if I fell off the horse it could cripple me up for good, and I'm to young to retire, but to old to do certain things anymore. :26: My wife tells me all the time that I'm not 25 anymore, but I think if I ever had the chance to shoot a buffalo off horseback on a dead run, well I might have to see if my wife is correct. LOL I can just imagen a buffalo hunt turning into a bronc riding in a blink of an eye. LOL Nothing any funnier than a fat feller on a bronc in the middle of a buffalo herd, if that doesn't get your blood pumping, then your dead.:dblthumb:

Offshore Angler

JeffG likes this.
  27. Birdman

Birdman IG: @ChasingTheBackcountry Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately, the accounts im referring to, werent due to hunger. It was done out of sport.
    Hell, at one time it was common practice to kill a buffalo, to just take its tongue.
    The buffalo weren't wiped out by subsistence hunters.

28. Offshore Angler

Offshore Angler Scout

Blog Posts:
    LOL, I hear you brother, my grandfather was a market hunter way back. We all look at our resources in a completely different manner than they did back then, thank God. Those guys shooting those buffalo just for the tongues were probably marketing all they could off the buffalo at the time, just a result of the economics at the time. We are no different today with our resources if you get right down to it, just the players within the game have changed. We drill oil wells, pump the oil, but flair off the gas that there is no market for, or no way to transport it to market. How much gas is burn world wide for nothing but disposal purposes each year ?? I fear one day we will look back and wonder why on earth did we do that, just like we do today with the buffalo.

I would still like to harvest a buffalo off horseback, but I think for safety's sake that ship may have sailed. LOL Gravity is not a kind element once a person becomes older.
    LOL

Offshore Angler

JeffG likes this.