Hot Tent Question

Discussion in 'Winter Camping' started by CharClothed, Feb 13, 2018.

1. CharClothed

CharClothed Guide

Blog Posts:
    So I think I have this misconception that a hot tent needs to be canvas. All you fancy people with your pretty canvas tents making me want something super pretty too. So simple question. Does it need to be canvas to trap in a lot of heat? And going off that thought, if it can be something other than Canvas, what other materials work amazingly well?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  2. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't think canvas, nylon, the other fabrics in general are going to trap large amounts of heat. I'm sure those more knowledgeable will chime in. Canvas breaths a bit while some of the other fabrics do not. Again to a lesser or greater extent. Condensation on the inside of the tent will result if the fabric cannot breath. Other things to think about. Durability under snow load, wind, extended exposure to elements. Fabric too close to the stove what will happen? One can go the canvas route of the snowtrekker and atuk tents or the other route like kifaru, seek outside and so forth......people seem to use both......mode of transport of the tents can have an impact also......canvas can be a challenge to tote on one back, hense the pulk and tobogans....

3. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @mjh is spot on. If I had the choice(and deep pockets!) I'd have a cotton canvas tent for hot tent use.

icemanx722 and Ryan Alexander like this.
  4. snapper

snapper Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a Seek Outside 8 person tipi and so far have only been able to use it once. That being said, with the stove going it was 9 F outside and snowing while the interior was a cozy 68 F. One of the reasons I like the Seek Outside shelter is the lack of weight. Between the stove and my tipi the scales barely tip the scales at around 10 pounds; maybe it's 12 but it's still very light. The packaging is a lot smaller than what a Snowtrekker will be as well so if space on a sled is an issue for you, the nylon shelters may be what you're looking for. I also have a Snowtrekker but it's too large for me to pack and carry, along with the stove, if I'm going to go out by myself; which is more and more my only option as I work weekends and have time off during the week when the "normal" folks are working.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

5. Ryan Alexander

Ryan Alexander Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm looking into hot tents myself and i was wondering the same thing. I was going to buy a 16x20 canvas drop cloth and water proof it with linseed oil, install a stove jack and set it up in a pyramid fly configuration. It would only cost about 100$ to make, maybe less. I'd have to make some buttons or use a velcro strip to close up the gap in the door though but i think it could work. I can't really afford a "real" wall tent, way out of my price range.

Not sure if i could get away with nylon in 0 F conditions.. but it sure would be easier to pack and haul in.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    icemanx722 likes this.
  6. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When it comes to a more solo sized tent it can be hard. I've got one stove that I want to try to use with a 9 X 11.5 snowtrekker and a just ordered Luxe Hiking Gear tent. Both tents are floorless, both can be used multi season but the Luxe is more likely to used outside of snow season I think. Also the Luxe more for solo with the canvas for more that one. I tried the mini lavuu with ammo can stove and just too small, so what choices at what cost, what durability, modifiable, expected use.....do it your own.....modify an known product.....buy a product on the market.....I couldn't really afford to experiment with higher end tents or a canvas solo tent......the Luxe was in a price range that if it doesn't work for snow season it should work for other seasons just fine...

icemanx722 likes this.
  7. rbinhood

rbinhood Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Go to the Wintertrekking website and you will be able to learn a great deal about various configurations people are using. There is a tremendous amount of information on the website from some very experienced, hardcore winter campers, like snapper, who replied above.

One guy at Wintertrekking called "walknabout" is using a cheap Sportsmansguide 12' tipi with a homemade stove made from two stainless warming pans, with great results on a very limited budget. You don't have to spend a fortune to get started in hot tent camping. You need to identify your needs---alone or with others? will affect the space you need and weight considerations; lightweight and backpackable vs. pulk or car camping?; cost?, etc.

8. GoFeesh

GoFeesh Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I've used a very thin material - more specific the old GoLite Shangri-la with a titanium stove and a cabelas 12x12 anorak with a kni-co stove. I presently have been using an 8x8 canvas pyramid tent from strinz tent & tipi. I love the packability of the GoLite but the condensation is an issue. The cabelas anorak is awesome but weighs around 80 pounds!!! The strinz pyramid is by far the most versatile of them all and is easy to heat. I paid around $400 for it and it has been worth every penny. Hope this helps.

icemanx722 likes this.
  9. CharClothed

CharClothed Guide

Blog Posts:
    Oh I've tried and would totally get better answers I'm sure. If only they'd ACCEPT ME AFTER THIS COUPLE YEARS OF WAITING!!!

ggreaves, icemanx722 and GreenFrog like this.
  10. Kelly W

Kelly W Love the Axe Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a really good hot tent setup. 7 x 9 scout tent with a usgi stove. It just happens to be canvas. There are all kinds of configurations and some yet to be thought up yet.

icemanx722 likes this.
  11. rbinhood

rbinhood Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Not sure what you mean by not being accepted? New members are joining every day. New guy just introduced himself yesterday. I don't think there is any restriction or limit on membership. The guy who owns the site is HOOP, and you won't meet a nicer fellow.

icemanx722, camp casey and GreenFrog like this.
  12. CharClothed

CharClothed Guide

Blog Posts:
    You have to wait for Admin Approval to join, I've been waiting for about two years to get approved.

icemanx722 likes this.
  13. rbinhood

rbinhood Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If you want, I will contact Hoop and find out what the hold up is for your approval?

icemanx722 likes this.
  14. snapper

snapper Guide

Blog Posts:
    CharClothed - The Winter Trekking forum just changed hands and the new administrator is one of the biggest contributors to the forum. You might want to try again as I know new folks have been recently added to our discussion mix over there.

Also, someone mentioned above getting a canvas drop cloth and then treating it with linseed oil to waterproof it. My concern with doing that is the flammability of the cloth. Unless I'm missing something, I think you'd be better off with a tight weave on the canvas and then letting it alone. This will allow moisture to pass through so there'd be less condensation inside.

You could also consider making your shelter out of fire retardant canvas; it may be SunForger but not sure. You could check with Tentsmiths about purchasing the material from them. Although it would cost a bit more than a canvas drop cloth from Lowes or Home Depot, it would be a lot more flame retardant and safer in the long run if you think about it. And hey, what price do you really want to put on your own safety?

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

icemanx722 and Scotchmon like this.
  15. CharClothed

CharClothed Guide

Blog Posts:
    Tried making a new account so hopefully that helps. Forgot my old one.

icemanx722 likes this.
  16. vdeal

vdeal Scout

Blog Posts:
    Check out the hot tent/teepees from Kifaru, Seek Outside, Titanium Goat, etc. to see silnylon being used as hot tents.

17. arborist1969

arborist1969 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I inherited a canvas tent with a stove from my father in law . Took my family camping with it . I barely got any sleep at all , i was a slave to that stove it sucked i dont get it?

18. bosque bob

bosque bob Scout

Blog Posts:
    Good replies and information. I'll add that it is easier to find an inexpensive good quality lightly used canvas tent than it has been in the past. My guess is lots of folks like the cool factor but when it comes down to lugging them around, the time required to set and strike then properly care for them the tents get dumped. I have seen barely used canvas tents at give away prices on self sale sites already this year. The prices are half or less of one of the well made popular synthetic types. Some of the pyramid styles don't weigh much and are easy to heat but useful space is sacrificed. I am only familiar with canvas tents for cold weather and others may have better ideas but I enjoy them. I guess it all depends on how and where the tent will be used.

19. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    They not really meant to run the whole time. Run them to dry out some of your gear and have some warmth as you settle into the night. You still need the same gear for the temps outside without the stove. Then start it up in the morning to warm up dry out you bedding again.

20. mountain joe

mountain joe Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have been making tents out of inexpensive poly tarp and other plastic sheeting for many years. I have camped in them down to as cold as 38 degrees below zero Fahrenheit. The one that I camped in at that temp was one layer of poly tarp and another layer of plastic sheeting. Tarp tents made from heavy duty poly tarps with the seams held together by Gorilla, T-Rex or similar heavy duty tape will last quite a few years. You need new clean tarps and apply the tape at room temperature to get good adhesion. I have been camping down to 4 degrees below 0 Fahrenheit in the tarp tipi hot tent. The cowboy range tent is the tent my wife and I used this last Fall on our 2 and a half week remote moose hunting trip by boat here in Alaska. We both loved the tent and could not have been more comfortable or happier had we spent more than 10 times the cost for the expensive nylon hot tents. Granted, the nylon tents are much more compact and light weight for transporting though.

21. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    yes it's a misconception that hot tents need to be canvas :)

if I'm packing in with stock, a canvas tent is the cat's pajamas, but if I'm packing it (or pulling it)- it's going to be silnylon

as someone already mentioned, the smaller (and lighter) stoves are really nice for drying out clothing/gear, eating a meal in a warm shelter, taking the cold out of a long day, but not meant for keeping a shelter at 68 degrees all night long- it could be done I guess, but you wouldn't get any sleep feeding the fire box al night long

22. yooper71

yooper71 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I watched these videos a few days ago without knowing you are a member here, so this is an unsolicited endorsement. The videos were cool and I thought well done. Even if I don’t make one they were well worth the watch. I thought you did a great job.

23. mountain joe

mountain joe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Yooper71. I am a member but seldom visit here anymore, however I may be visiting more often now.

24. Red Ochre

Red Ochre Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Mine is made from USMC field tarps. Works great.
    Canvas is heavier but breathes better and is tougher.

pic tipi.jpg

tipi 2.jpg

25. Terrapin

Terrapin Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    All winter I have been contemplating trying out winter camping next winter. Of course, never doing it before, I am worried that I might absolutely hate it and do not want to spend much in getting started. I searched around and found your videos on the tipi tarp with a stove. It gave me some great ideas and lead me to the rest of the terrific videos you have out there various outdoor subjects. Thanks for what you do.

26. icemanx722

icemanx722 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Good information in this thread. Thanks for asking the question @CharClothed

gohammergo and CharClothed like this.
  27. Ryan Alexander

Ryan Alexander Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I made a 9x12 oilcloth tarp and put a stove jack in it made from a welding blanket. I coated the jack with silicone to water proof it after watching a few youtube video's on the subject.. well it worked very well for a few hours until the silicone caught on fire and then the oilcloth.. turns out what i really made was a giant candle wick. three weeks of work on that tent wasted :( Well i thought i would share my experience so no one tries to duplicate it and burns alive. Bummer, hate to say it but.. lesson learned.

I might try making one out of regular tarps or just save up for a wall tent idk yet.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    bosque bob and hidden_lion like this.
  28. kevinkinney

kevinkinney Current on Tetanus. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've built and used both canvas and synthetic... As well as hybrids. For long, determined treks, the weight of canvas is well worth it for the comfort. Fire your (larger) stove up, and drive off all the moisture you accumulate. They tend to be larger, heavier, and clunkier than silnylon, but they are sure nice to 'live' in over the long term.

camp casey likes this.
  29. CharClothed

CharClothed Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm just happy you survived it. I'm just picturing that old cartoon thing where the tent burns up all around them in a instant and they are left shocked and confused.

30. LFowler

LFowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've only used nylon hot tents. With a stove the condensation is actually much better as the stove pulls moisture out of the tent and sends it out the pipe. The hanging liners like SO and Kifaru sell will do more for holding in heat then a heavier fabric as it creates a dead air space to slow down convective loss. Sparks are much less of an issue then many imagine, with good wood and a spark arrestor their aren't many to begin with, and with steep sides many sparks won't stick long enough to melt through. Unlike polyester nylon is pretty hard to actually catch fire too, a small pinhole you have to seal up later is typically the worst case scenario.

31. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    If silicon caught fire perhaps it simply wasn't the right silicon or fibreglass.
    As I see it from outside the problem seems to be the lack of really lightweight finely woven cotton fabric and that seems to be secondary to the need to comply with some laws on fireproofing.
    I have used big stoves in very LW synthetic tents with few problems but I was careful to use a larger than normal piece of siliconised fire blanket as my stove jack.
    No idea what I am doing this winter yet as I only get a season out of my tents, still saving for "The ONE"

Bitterroot Native likes this.
  32. ReallyBigMonkey1

ReallyBigMonkey1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    No matter if it's silnylon, poly tarp or canvas it will hold in heat like you won't believe if you line the inside with Grabber All Weather blankets. Take any hot tent, any tarp with a stove or fireplace and use it as normal. Use it the next night lined with All Weather reflective blankets and the difference in temps and fuel utilized will make your jaw drop.

33. JC1

JC1 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm in Soldotna, maybe we could get together one of these days

I never heard of Grabber all weather blankets, need to look them up, thanks
    EDIT: they're space blankets with a different name and a heavier backing on one side
    How do you line them on the walls?

I'm in the market for a new tent and pretty much decided on one of the spike tents from Montana Canvas. Finding a stove has turned into a bigger chore than I expected but I'm whittling that down

34. ReallyBigMonkey1

ReallyBigMonkey1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I sew velcro strips to the grabber blankets and that's what holds them inside the tent as liners

35. WhisperInThePine

WhisperInThePine Wubba lubba dub dub Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I scored a Mountain Hardware Kiva Lite with bug net insert for $60 yesterday. I've seen a couple mods for turning this into a hot tent (video below). The seam seal tape is cracked, but I have a bottle of brand new seam seal that I was going to use on my BCUSA tarp.

If you scour the internet, you can find single wall pyramid tents for cheap. I bought mine at a buy/sell/trade store in town. $40 for a stove boot from titanium goat.

Red Ochre likes this.