Hot tent?

Discussion in 'Winter Camping' started by Matthew Post, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Matthew Post

Matthew Post Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hello everyone, I’d like to do a hunting excursion this fall. I’m in the market for a hot tent and stove. Wondering what y’all use. Im 6’3 so I’d like a tent that could fit me and my gear comfortably as well as a stove. I’d like a tent and stove that is backpack-able

I’ve seen a few tents of interest but they were made of nylon/polyester and I was worried about a stove melting it or putting holes in it. Most of the canvas ones I’ve seen are very large and heavy. Not really ideal for backpacking.

What do you guys recommend for a tent and stove combo?

2. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you want backpackable your going to have to go with something like Kifaru, Seek outside, Luxe, other makers: a nylon/poly type material and a stove that brakes down. I have a snowtrekker canvas tent and it's toboganable, canoeable, muleable.......but it is NOT backpackable.

Lots of info out there on the nylon tipi and other style tents that you can heat with a stove. Safe as the user is safe for any material/stove combination.

Smokey Radley and Matthew Post like this.
  3. snapper

snapper Guide

Blog Posts:
    If you're looking for something you can carry in a pack, I'd recommend going with a shelter & stove from Seek Outside. You don't need to worry about the stove melting anything unless YOU do something really stupid. The chimney will exit the shelter though fireproof material so there's no issue there. For what it's worth, lots of folks use these syl nylon shelters all winter long, as well as in the shoulder seasons, using a stove to cook and heat inside. While there are other companies out there, I own two Seek Outside shelters so can only speak to their durability and ease of use but I'm sure others will chime in. If you'd like to see their line-up of shelters and stoves, check out this link:

https://seekoutside.com/

That's all for now. Take care, good luck in selecting what will work best for you and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - Just as an aside, the last time I was out in my 8 person teepee it was 9 F and snowing outside while inside it was 65 F. Total luxury :)

4. tomcfitz

tomcfitz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Around here any tent is a "Hot Tent" this time of year!

Edit: All kidding aside, that seek outside looks like the best combination on offer, and is incredibly light for the setup.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  5. Matthew Post

Matthew Post Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the suggestions guys! I think the luxe hexpeak matched with seek outside stove will work well for me

Attached Files:

The Warrior likes this.
  6. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Check out @Woods Walker . He has a YouTube channel and does a lot of winter hot tenting with his backpack.

7. Andy in NH

Andy in NH Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm a fan of Kifaru and own a Super Tarp and an 8 man Tipi.
    The closest shelter is a Super Tarp. I consider it good for one guy plus gear. I can sit up in it and comfortably use the stove. It weighs 2 lb., 4 oz., canopy with peg & pole kit. It packs down to the size of a Nalgene bottle.
    Behind that is the 8 man Tipi. We get three guys in there with gear, no problem. What I like about the 8 man is that at 5' 10", I can comfortably stand up in it. it weighs 7 lbs 9 oz., canopy with pole and pegs. It packs down to about the size of a large pillow.
    Further back is the 16 man (well, I think it's the 16 man).
    I don't own one, but a few of my buddies have the Kifaru Sawtooth shelter and really like it.
    In the picture you can see the fiberglass stove jack that prevents the fabric from melting.

super tarp 8 man 16 man.JPG

8. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Rattlesnake Charmer. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My favorite is a Kifaru 6-man with Seakoutside SXL. Overall a larger stove is easier to stoke but naturally it also takes up extra pack room. Single walled shelters don't do well in cold rain once the stove dies down so unless you have a liner pack a bivy bag for your sleeping bag.

[​IMG]

Matthew Post and CamoDeafie82 like this.
  9. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    Kifaru 4-man with SXL stove in cranking cold. This shelter has a liner so is extra warm. Small shelter with a larger stove.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have a good ground pad and sleeping bag for once the stove runs down.

[​IMG]

Matthew Post and CamoDeafie82 like this.
  10. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    I bought that same shelter (I think) for around 90 dollars shipped from china. I purchased some stove jack material and for around 19 dollars shipped. Also some Velcro for the jack. It's a project I am working on for next hot tenting season.

CamoDeafie82 likes this.
  11. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    for single person outings (w/ a stove, 2 people w/o) I've had good luck w/ SO's Silvertip- very bomber tent and with the addition of their small Cub stove makes for a very manageable shelter in cold weather for carrying on your back

I had their Cimmaron, but found myself going solo on all my backpack hunts, so sold it and got the smaller/lighter Silvertip

12. Matthew Post

Matthew Post Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Good stuff mate, thanks! Found you on YouTube and subbed. Look forward to seeing your trips this fall

13. RiceOnSuede

RiceOnSuede Scout

Blog Posts:
    My hammock hot tent and tigoat stove

DSC_2396.JPG IMG_3183_zps5bf58d32.jpg IMG_0172 - Copy.JPG IMG_0173.JPG IMG_0178.JPG IMG_0181.JPG IMG_0182.JPG IMG_0183.JPG IMG_3184_zps569344ea(1).jpg