Hot tenting question

Discussion in 'Winter Camping' started by roadwarrior, Mar 14, 2017.

1. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have been watching these hot tenting videos and I am wondering what brands of tent are the best. Also what stove and does anybody worry about a fire while they are sleeping.

Woods Walker and Red Wing like this.
  2. Red Wing

Red Wing Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oh man, theres lots. Im no expert but Seek Outside seems to get a lot of love compared to aome of the others. Im sure more knowledgable members will chime in here.

roadwarrior likes this.
  3. roadwarrior

Blog Posts:
    I know it is the end of the season but with a blizzard going on I am getting the bug for one.

4. lodge camper

lodge camper Scout

Blog Posts:
    'hot tenting' is current fad. most good setups are over $1000. if it is something you'll use a lot then go for it. i think most never get enough use out of their seek tents and 4dog stoves to make it worth it like they though they would. try getting something with multiple uses. when i 'hot tent' i have canvas 14ft tipi and m1941 wood stove. I use both of these items, often, with many people, all year seperately/together,and probably cheaper than 1st setup i mentioned and both will out live me.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Woods Walker and roadwarrior like this.
  5. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Rattlesnake Charmer. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I hate doing something for years only to find out it has become the current fad. I quit smoking cigars over that.

Over a decade ago. Maybe 2005. I forget but time flies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What! No gray hairs. What the hell is going on.... Oh yea entropy. :(

[​IMG]

6. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    Kifaru, Ti Goat and Seek Outside. I buy Kifaru but also have kit from Ti Goat.

rsnurkle and roadwarrior like this.
  7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Hardwoodsman #8 Supporter Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    What videos do you like..? What kind of camping are you looking to do?

Snowtrekker tents are high quality canvas. Winterworks is similar design. Four dog stoves are light titanium..knico are heavier. Seek outside has great light weight tents.

I chose a snowtrekker and knico for a winter basecamp setup to icefish, hunt or just seek fresh air. Like a quality knife they hold value and resale is easy enough.

8. lodge camper

lodge camper Scout

Blog Posts:
    been doing same, though, never called it 'hot tenting'. you? it is, imo, another bush fad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  9. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    Who knows, you could be right about the fad thing. I call it hot tenting now cuz it's what people know but what's in a name? Not sure if I called it anything before. I do remember how many people crowed hammock camping was just another fad along with Tenkara. Not sure what the expiration date on a fad is but unlike crazy bands all three are still going strong. Just look from 2004ish. Both fads in one place during winter though the heated shelter was a cheapo tarp thing I made to cook in when winter hammock camping. Still it's a rare photo of two things which people said were just a passing fad.

[​IMG]

I think Patrick Smith (Kifaru) was the first person pushing UL heated shelters. Here is one which predates sil nylon.

Here is my 4-man from an outing in 2005.

[​IMG]

Your advice is good about people making sure they're really into something before dropping down a G.

10. lodge camper

lodge camper Scout

Blog Posts:
    nice setups there. i would still like to have something like that, too, but i rarely camp alone anymore. i need space, light and heat enough for 3 in winter.

11. Kelly W

Kelly W Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'll just chime in and say you need to research and find the tent and stove that meets your need and expectations. As to your second question, You should always be worried about the fire while you're sleeping. For both safety and comfort... especially safety.

12. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    Oh snap look at this. Going back some time as walking down memory lane.

[​IMG]

Not my tent but from the same outing. Digging in was crazy! lol! Should of floated.

[​IMG]

Line of other heated Kifaru shelters. Paratarps....

[​IMG]

I look like a tool in all camo. Still wear the stuff cuz it's cheap and don't mind burning holes in it.

[​IMG]

16 man. Could be Patrick going inside. I don't remember but great times.

[​IMG]

13. roadwarrior

Blog Posts:
    Thanks guys, I don't know about fads but this is the first place I have seen this done and as I get older it sure looks inviting. Thanks for the video Woods Walker.

GreenFrog and Woods Walker like this.
  14. Brew-Jitsu

Brew-Jitsu Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like Seek Outside a lot, but it's the only brand I've used. I bought a Cimarron early last year (sold for a larger size) and used it quite a bit throughout the year. I'm about to test a 6-man this weekend. The Seek Outside people are great, but they are spendy setups (and definitely worth it if you use it enough - if not, they hold value pretty well).

[​IMG]

15. Skab

Skab Staff Staff Member Administrator Vendor Lifetime Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    What kind of camping are you talking about? As that makes a huge difference as to the type of hot tent to recommend.

I will say this, no matter the style of camping in winter. Once you've got tented, you won't want to go back to cold camping..... I know I don't!

16. roadwarrior

Blog Posts:
    I plan on skiing or snowshoeing and towing a pulk along. I am not sure were to go around here because everything is closed for the winter.

17. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    My advice is to float the shelter on top of a snow base if more than say 15 inches. The methodology is to stomp the snow down with your snowshoes or skis then allow to set of 30-45 minute. Maybe process wood or get the pad and bag out etc etc in that time. This stove is actually floating on about two feet of snow along with everything else.

[​IMG]

18. oathkeeper762

oathkeeper762 Bushbum & PT Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have both made and purchased several hot tent setups over the years. I'm currently using a Sierra Designs Mountain Guide with a Bearpaw stove jack that I installed. The stove jack was about $30.00 IIRC and can be installed in just about any tarp tent of your liking. You can stitch them in, which I consider to be the hard way, or just use a good high temp silicon and glue them in place.

With regards to a stove, my favorite is my Kifaru medium, but I have several home made designs that worked well too they were just a little heavier and bulkier to backpack. You can get started with a good tent and a little d.i.y. work for less than $500 or if you want to purchase your setup you can easily spend over a grand.

I hang most of the time when I'm camping, but I do enjoy sleeping in a hot tent on a cold winters night. Initially, you may worry about having a fire in your tent but I no longer give it a second thought. I've burnt a finger once or twice and had a few embers pop out on my wool blanket but that's about it. I sleep next to my stove so I can stoke it from the comfort of my sleeping bag and make coffee and breakfast without leaving the comfort of my bag as well! Really nice on a cold wet morning. Give it a try, you won't be sorry.
    IMG_3326.JPG
    IMG_3386.JPG

19. justinspicher

justinspicher Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a Kifaru medium box stove I run in my GoLite SL5. Got both as a gift and paid $55 to have the stove jack professional installed. I've got close to 100 nights in it, with about 80 of them using the stove. When camping in the snow I'll always try to dig down into the snow when possible. I hate sliding around on it and possible landing on my stove.

20. mbiraman

mbiraman Guide Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Check out the "wintertrekking" site, its one of the sites hot tenters meet, good site with tons of experienced backed info.
    As to "fad", people have been hot tenting for decades but because of the internet there's a bit of a buzz on.
    I made my own tent and stove but unless your stove is airtight i wouldn't burn through the night. Good luck.

rsnurkle, roadwarrior and camp casey like this.
  21. oldpinecricker

oldpinecricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Heated shelters are hardly a fad or something new. I've had an Kifaru 4man when Kifaru got started up and moved onto an 12man which I still have. Goodness this was in the early 2000's I found Kifaru and hot tenting.

Because I'm mostly solo these days, I now use an Ti Goat 6.5 and an Integral Designs Sil shelter.

rsnurkle, roadwarrior and camp casey like this.
  22. TZBrown

TZBrown Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I used to camp on the ground, but now I hang in a hammock.
    I made the hot tent that I use for about $150.00 in material ,and about 30 hours of time, no pattern just from drawing it out.
    If you have the want, you can learn to sew well enough to make one or modify one for your use.

Check out some of the videos in my signature, there is one on the build

23. camp casey

camp casey Scout

Blog Posts:
    I use a spike tent and a knico stove, and don't run the stove when i sleep. With the hot tent i can stay warm and cook my food, only have to cut down one tree not the whole forest to stay warm. With my toboggan and flat ground i can wander a long ways. Stay as long as the food last. Good luck.

24. Red Ochre

Red Ochre Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Woods Walker's posts are A+
    He helped me with getting into hot tents 10 years ago and I never looked back.

roadwarrior and rsnurkle like this.
  25. Snipe10

Snipe10 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I bought a Tentipi last year for the family, comes from Sweden I think. Was about $3K but sleeps 4 on cots and the dog easily, and can sleep up to 8. Stormproof as well as they're used in the arctic all the time . Great purchase that the boys will someday fight over. You can also make a fire in the thing without a stove pipe. The model was the Safir, you can go to www.tentipi.com for more info. One of the best things I've ever bought although I had some explaining to do to my wife.

roadwarrior, rsnurkle and camp casey like this.
  26. Early Man

Early Man Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am really curious about you guys that use nylon with a wood stove. How do you prevent spark holes ?

I lived 3 years straight in a canvass tee pee, starting in a sept and ending in one 3 years straight 2 in Md and 1 in the white mts of NH. I didn't know I was hit tenting and simes with a cracked cast iron junk wood stove as the backing for the fire pit it was still cold in there . With the tee pee I only ran 48 inches of stove pipe, and also had a fire pit inside. In NH I ran a tunnel of tin cans with no tops and no bottoms for the fire pit air under ground level.

Today if i were going to do this I would want a canvass wall tent, a folding box stove and a sled to haul it all.

The fact you guys don't die in a blazing ball of fire with nylon tents amazes me.

rsnurkle and roadwarrior like this.
  27. TZBrown

TZBrown Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My stove pipe exits through a side wall, and stove jack, at a 45 degree angle, and ends about 4 foot outside of the tent. There is also a spark arrestor screen near the stove, and a back draft cap on the pipe. All of the creosote drips out there, and unless there is a huge wind out of the wrong direction I have never worried about sparks. Those that have a straight up pipe are sometimes not as lucky with spark holes.

It is all about managing the risk also, I don't burn cedar or other sparking type woods. The stoves are also not run at night.
    Small space, heats up fast, I usually don't even keep the stove going during the day as I am out enjoying the woods.

I also have spent time in a tipi, with a box stove and 5 foot of pipe up. With the frost cloth and outer cover set right, never had an issue with draft, of coarse adjusting the smoke flaps correctly helps a lot also. The tipi being larger used a lot more wood and the large smoke hole in the top carried out most of the heat pretty fast.

roadwarrior, rsnurkle and Early Man like this.
  28. Early Man

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. I am limited by what I get to use. The wood stove I used in the last year was a woods find and cracked, a common style of 2 burner plate pot belly stove that the cooking grill top surface was about 2 feet high and so 2 sections of 6 inch black stove pipe put the top of that just over 6 feet high. We had a Ozan in that tee pee which acted like a smoke shelf in a decent fire place.

We had the typical liner on the inside set as well. The stove would carry coals over night where the fire pit would not. We might go to bed with both fires burning, but by morning it was about as cold inside as it was out. We saw some serious cold and serious storms in these 3 years. Someone had given me a very large rip stop plastic tarp made for a cover for a 18 wheeler trailer top. One side was whiter than snow and the other was jet black. The ends were sewn into corners to fit a trailer. With a warning of a particular storm we had time to unroll and cut the corners seams open, and then cut them off. With a string and a marker we were able to make another tee pee cover of that full size, and get it on with another lift pole. The next day on radio we heard barn roofs had been blown off west of us and east of us. The winds sounded like a bunch of Irish banshee's.

In summer I had and still do the roof of a CCC wall tent, and had 2 fire pits there side by side. One for making coals and light in evenings, and the other for the cooking.

While I can't say it was all fun and games I can say we had no choice about it. So far no one has ever promised me a rose garden. :)

rsnurkle and Winterhorse like this.
  29. TZBrown

TZBrown Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That made me smile, have been in those also.
    Things are hard at times, and when there is no choice we do what we have to to get by.
    Now we pretty much choose to put ourselves in harder times, maybe we miss the adventure?

Usually when I go out in winter now there is a group getting together.
    I help cut wood for the long fire we use, and also cut for the tent stove, lots more with a hand saw than I would consider cutting at home.

I hiked the AT through the Whites and well remember the area, freezing rain and high winds when I was there in July.
    I hurried from hut to hut for a bowl of soup, and back into the storm for more miles.
    Not an area for the unprepaired

rsnurkle and Early Man like this.
  30. Early Man

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I guess. I love a good storm, and to go out in it to watch the power. These Mts kill the foolish all the time, not just winter. Up high even when it looks like summer it's still winter ;)

rsnurkle and TZBrown like this.