hot weather sleeping

Discussion in 'Sleep Systems' started by UAHiker, May 28, 2018.

1. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm the type of person who likes to sleep with something on, even if it's just a sheet. we are having lows in the 70s and high in the 90s now, when its this hot what does your sleep system consit of? I'm thinking of picking up a liner that's light weight for weather hit enough I don't need insulation but just a covering. thoughts?

Vilke, Bobsdock, Guttersnipe and 5 others like this.
  2. rmorgan736

rmorgan736 Scout

Blog Posts:
    lived in barstow for about a year 110-113 every night..........a double size sheet soaked in water then wrung out will get you a few hours of sleep then dunk it again..........

Vilke, Winterhorse, Bobsdock and 7 others like this.
  3. jswi2374

jswi2374 Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have a cheap, compact Ozark Trail (WalMart) bag for summer. It's just enough to keep the skeeters off me and good down to about 50*. Lots of zippered vents on the sides.

4. Mikewood

Mikewood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mosquito net
    Cot
    Sheet
    Me.
    A fan is really nice if there is electricity

5. 2stoves

2stoves Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I mostly hammock with the net and bottom treated with permethrin. 75+ I sleep with just a silk bag liner. Below 75 I use a 50F bottom and top quilt as I tend to get chilled about 2AM

6. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I've got a double layer, mosquito netted hammock and I use just a twin size sheet when it's hot but the last few years, I don't camp out when it gets really hot. I usually stop in late May and start again in late September.

7. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Indigenous Skills Junkie Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think you're on the right track with a sleeping bag liner. That's exactly what I use in hot weather for sleeping! Just a simple fleece sleeping bag liner. It's square in shape and zips up like a sleeping bag, plenty warm and really light weight and compact. I think I paid 10 dollars for it, been using it for years haha! :dblthumb:

8. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple Texaport sleeping bag liners that work really well for this time of year. They were under $15 and we've had them for several years. They're like a very light fleece blanket

9. southron

southron Scout

Blog Posts:
    mosquito netting and my boxers Did I say Alabama can get hot and humid in summer?

ETA or, and lots of skeeters

10. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been using a woobie lately. . .

11. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    uh yeah! I was in Montgomery July, Aug and Sept..... 100 and 100 by noon is brutal!

12. to Ha

to Ha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    UAHiker said "when its this hot what does your sleep system consit of?"

Mine? Bed + AC!!!!

Tough for me to enjoy this time of year outdoors for camping...down here at least. Travelling to Colorado works much better! But if I do go in this type of heat I use a cotton sheet on my pad, then "folded" over me. Hanging a tiny fan from my hammock ridgeline moves the air and does help.

13. to Ha

to Ha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oh, and I don't recommend mummy liners - I get tangled up in them and I can't stick a leg out to cool down like I can in a sheet.

14. YetiJack

YetiJack Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't like to camp out during the hit season but I'm a Cub scout father and Den leader so we have a couple camp outs during the summer. Last time I slept on a wool blanket with a Snugpak jungle blanket on top. I didn't pull the JB over me until later when the temperature dropped down some. Worked pretty good.

15. kisatchieman

kisatchieman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I recently went camping in my new to me Coachmen Apex travel trailer, which comes with an air conditioner. However, my Honda 2000ei generator is too small to run the A/C. With temps too hot for comfort, I bought a O2 Cool 10" battery powered fan at wallyworld. Runs on 6 "D" batteries and will last for 20 hours on high speed and 53 hours on low. This little fan kept me comfortable day and night. Cost around $14..

Attached Files:

16. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    thanks! i've actually been looking for a new fan for family car camping. i've been looking for one and glad this works!

17. MommaJ

MommaJ Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Lol NJ summer camping consists of a bikini and a sheet. I might have a sleeping bag under me but I'm not laying in it just on it.

18. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    about how much do they weigh? were did you pick your up at?

19. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for bringing this subject up - I've been meaning to test this rig for backpacking and bicycle/ADVmoto touring where I tend to be ultra-light/-compact... it's the best I can do. Fan uses 1 watt (5V/0.2A) and the timer adds 0.03A for a total of 1.15 watts; my 4400mah power bank has 16.3 watt-hrs of capacity (4.4Ah x 3.7V) so that's ~14hrs of runtime. I only need a fan for an hour or two to get to sleep, my metabolism slows, and the night air cools down enough, so this could last me for 1-2 weeks on single charge if necessary.

The fan is small/low-powered/battery-conserving, of course, but I find it plenty for close range solo use - fine for keeping the air circulating around my head and torso so I can get to sleep comfortably. I've been using it for Van camping, but recently found a USB timer to make the battery conservation worthwhile off-grid. I think it would get cold combined with a damp bandanna or cooling towel on my torso.

Everything is available on Amazon for ~$10 a piece, just search for 'USB fan/time/multimeter' - you don't need the multimeter of course, unless you're an anal geek like me. FWIW, the USB timer is also great for daily managing of Li-ion device charging to extend life (eg, I start charging my phone @ 6am and only up to 80%).

Hope that helps.

[​IMG]

20. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    that is awesome!! now your speaking my language :)

21. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Here's the link to the one I have on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Fleece-Sleeping-Bag-Colors/dp/B001916XG4
    They're a little less than a pound. I bought them at a local sporting goods store for around $12, but that was a few years ago. They pack small and light and have lasted well.

22. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Not much summer camping in Florida, but we went to the Keys in June for a week of tent camping. Woobie and a fan worked great!

23. POGEYBAIT

POGEYBAIT Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just had a chance to use my new Snugpak jungle bag. I like the fact that you can unzip it and lay it flat. Also, in the south, having the bug net capability is paramount.

24. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I did thins for my chickens when the temps get over 100 every day.
    A 12 volt computer fan and a rag wetted by a drip system .
    In those temperatures I don't sleep with any thing on but a fan.
    If I were camping I'd rig a 2" computer fan small battery pack and one of those solar shower bags as a drip system into a towel behind the fan.
    if the humidity is high, then just the fan.

Bobsdock and UAHiker like this.
  25. Cheapeats

Cheapeats Guide

Blog Posts:
    For hot weather camping it is either a fleece bag or a poncho liner and like MommaJ said a regular sleeping bag underneath, a lot of my hot weather camping has been in northern maine canoeing 85 during the day most nights in the 70's then bam! it drops to the 30's thank goodness for the bag underneath.

26. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have one of those Frog Tog Chill Pads. I soak it and lay it on my chest...out like a light.

Bobsdock and UAHiker like this.
  27. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Non-insulated pad is a good start or a hammock without an underquilt. The R Value on my pad is fairly low at 1.8 yet somehow I can still sleep fine on it down to freezing, below that I put a CCF pad under it.

I don't camp without a bag, weather can change quickly overnight where I camp and I've had it drop down to the 50s unexpectedly on me. I tend to open up my bag like a quilt. I keep my feet out and just lay a corner of my bag over my mid section. Generally I end up with the bag layed up on top of me as the temp drops in the early morning.

Another tip is to stay up a bit later than you might otherwise. The later it is the more it will have cooled off. Also stay away from fatty or greasy foods including nuts or gorp. They will have your body producing more heat from the inside. Setup under a canopy and sleep with the fly off if in a tent for maximum ventilation. The canopy will prevent you from waking up with morning dew.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  28. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Still going Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use a sleeping bag liner.

ReallyBigMonkey1 and UAHiker like this.
  29. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The older I get, the less I enjoy this. But when I have to:

Hammock w/bug net, full underquilt (prevents mosquito bites as well as keeping an annoying draft off my back, irritating at any temp), and just a cotton sheet. Sometimes bring along my old USGI woobie 'just in case' it gets too cool. the cotton sheet keeps it from sticking.

UAHiker and Winterhorse like this.
  30. Rarrapuda

Rarrapuda Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    When I hammock camp in the summer, I have a mosquito net and I lay on top of my Snugpak Jungle Blanket. When I tent camp, I used the same thing except no mosquito net. I will say for the size, weight and money, the jungle blanket is amazing. Now they make a XL version which I have been wanting to pick up and try out.

ReallyBigMonkey1 and UAHiker like this.
  31. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    when you get to test this out, i need to know how it works! this i super cool. how's the fan output?

32. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well, my 'meaning to test' statement just meant electronically - eg, timer work with power bank auto-off switches? power consumption worth the additional battery weight, etc? For me, the answer is 'yes' although I probably won't need to use it much here in the Northeast.... other than during heat waves.

I already use this fan for dry/stealth van camping which tends to be hotter than a tent due to less air circulation and trapped engine heat. As mentioned, it's plenty to keep MY head/torso cooler under close range solo use, but it's probably not enough to keep two people cool spread out over a king sized bed. I'm happy to have found the timer for the van too though - for me, the flip side of fans is that it eventually get too cold and that wakes me up too.

UAHiker likes this.
  33. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    i'm just looking solo so this should work, what's close range? a guess :)

34. Chris keating

Chris keating Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Last overnighter i did it got down. To about 60 f. I used a sleeping bag liner pad and Woobie. I was perfect if not hot.

UAHiker likes this.
  35. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'd say anything within ~3 feet in front of the fan will feel a nice breeze (of course it doesn't rotate/oscillate), but you won't feel much by 6ft.

UAHiker likes this.
  36. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Scout

Blog Posts:
    Snugpak jungle bag is nice. I've been thinking for hot weather, a piece of permethrin-treated parachute fabric would be cool.

ReallyBigMonkey1 likes this.
  37. ReallyBigMonkey1

ReallyBigMonkey1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    The single greatest tip I've discovered in hot weather camping stems from misery during winter camping . When sleeping on a cheap air bed/air mattress during the winter the ground cools the air and you freeze. I've tested an Intex air bed/possible pool float when the over night temps were in the 90s and the air in that bed was very cool and kept my back very cool.