How do you do your toast?

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by CharClothed, Dec 4, 2017.

1. CharClothed

CharClothed Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So for the first time (no joke) I cooked breakfast and it turned out awesome. Cooked the bacon up and the eggs in the bacon fat. Toast in a toaster. Normal meal and I can do that simple on site when camping. But toast is kinda a must to me. How do you guys cook the toast evenly? Looking for hints and tips. Any gear should be lightweight.

Attached Files:

2. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I used too set it on the fire grate. It toasted evenly, you just had to watch it.
    And you probably saw my Firebox garlic bread. That was a bit trickier because the bread was so close to the flames.

I've never seen anyone in today's videos making toast from sliced bread. It's always bannock or similar.

3. Gramp Camp

Gramp Camp Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just take tortillas and throw them on the fire grate or with a stick with a y shape in the end and hold them in the fire. Works great!!

4. Brown85

Brown85 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I usually have a small piece of grill grate or if i'm car camping an even larger one. While I typically don't bring sliced bread, I have had good luck toasting up english muffins and bagels. Just make sure you're cooking over even coals, otherwise the flames will burn the bread instead of brown it.

You could just as easily find a green forked branch and use that to elevate your bread off the coals.

5. dirt7

dirt7 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I usually just throw it on a pan and toast over a stove/fire. You can also find a y shaped branch and wrap foil around it, to create a platform for the bread.

6. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Guide

Blog Posts:
    Toast isn't a big deal to me, if I wanted toast, in the winter I would use my reflector oven, in the summer put the bread in a pan near the fire maybe tilted at an angle to catch the heat like a reflector oven or put on some coals to keep a low heat and flip on occasion to ensure even cooking.

blind & lost likes this.
  7. dmangler

dmangler Scout

Blog Posts:
    Skip the toast and add more bacon. Bacon good. Bread always seems to get smashed if I take it camping. If you really need a bread product, bannock was already mentioned. I make hoe cakes pre mixed in a sealed container (cornmeal flower & sugar) then pour it in a greased pan.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  8. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Maybe try throwing a little butter in your frying pan and making a single piece of toast the way you would make a grilled cheese?

9. Haggis

Haggis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Throw a bunch of pucker bush on the fire, and lay the toast to be on the bush,,,

image.jpeg image.jpeg

10. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    This is also my recommendation.

11. longhunter

longhunter Northman Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Got coffee ?

freebirdfb, blind & lost and Haggis like this.
  12. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Guide

Blog Posts:
    I should also say if I was to take bread, it would probably be pita bread or english muffins in a container. Nothing wrong with making flat breads or bannock at camp either.

GreySwampFox likes this.
  13. Longhunter1761

Longhunter1761 Flatlander Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Drop the bread in the bacon grease and fry it. Better than toast.

14. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I find a flat rock or split a 3" dia. piece of wood to make a plank, stand the bread slices as close to vertical as you can get close enough to the fire to toast but not close enough to burn.
    Another option is a folding toaster, it sits on your grill grate, about $6.00 at Walmart in the camping section, makes four toasts at a time, weighs little and folds flat about the size of a seven inch dinner plate.

GreySwampFox and Gramp Camp like this.
  15. SoreFeet

SoreFeet Scout

Blog Posts:
    I lightly oil my carbon steel skillet and toast the bread in it, very much like making a grilled cheese sandwich, only without the cheese and only one slice of bread.

OutnBacker and GreySwampFox like this.
  16. Wolfcri

Wolfcri Some call me... Jim Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  17. LongAgoLEO

LongAgoLEO Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not very original, but packs flat, weighs nothing, is eons old and still effective. Usually only use with a camp stove when boat camping.

Kabe '12b - 028.JPG

SoreFeet and GreySwampFox like this.
  18. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't eat much bread to begin with , but if i do i prefer it little warmed an buttered . waving to over the fire is about all it really needs.

19. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    My favorite toast at home or in the woods is skillet toast. Like others have said, just fry the bread in butter or whatever fat you have. I prefer both sides toasted, so have at it. Of course, in the interest of getting my weight in control, I'm down to dry toast maybe spread with a thin layer of peanut butter. That is still good, though.

SoreFeet likes this.
  20. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Scout

Blog Posts:
    For me, I cook "eggs-in-a-basket". Been doing it for years because I like my breakfast with toast no matter where I am. There's lots of YouTube on this.

Just take your Glacier cup and press out the center of a slice of bread, saving the "cookie". Fry the bread in your skillet of choice (mine is either cast iron or carbon steel) with an egg cracked into the hole. When it's ready, flip it and sprinkle on some shredded cheese or bacon crumbles. I like mine over-easy. Fry the bread cookie next to it and put it on top when you plate it, although my camp practice is to just eat it from the skillet. A 12" carbon steel skillet allows a double serving. And that's how I do toast in camp.

I highly recommend some practice so you get the heat right and don't burn something before something else is done. With cast iron or steel, it's Low and Slow.

SoreFeet likes this.