How do you know what pack is right for the job?

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by Jaysop, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Jaysop

Jaysop Tracker

Blog Posts:
    So I plan on doing some light one or two night backpacking trips with my 6 year old this summer. I haven't really done this stuff by myself. Last time I did this was 15 years ago as a kid.

I'm accumulating the gear I need like sleeping bags, tent, sleeping pads, stuff like that. But i'm having the hardest time with the pack.
    I'm used to heavy duty gear, Kifaru, MR and when I was in the Marines all gear was over built.

I just picked up a Gregory Baltoro 75 today and I know it's a great pack and fits really well but I cant get beyond how flimsy it feels in comparison. The buckles just don't seem strong, and I miss the 1000d and 500d.

I'm thinking about just getting a Kifaru 24" frame and a Woodsman with some side pockets and returning the Gregory. It's just about the same weight!

Why would I not just do that to have a pack that will last a lifetime instead of having the Gregory?

2. Tech

Tech Solo Craft Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like a good plan to me! I currently have a 26" frame but no packs to go on it. I'm leaning towards a Woodsman as well. I tend to have preference towards companies like Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and Exo because I believe the quality of their frames is superior to companies like Gregory, Arcteryx, etc. Not to mention you can swap out packs with the former. Made in the US doesn't hurt either.

BigDaddyHoss and Jaysop like this.
  3. Keithturkjr

Keithturkjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Some people dont have the expectations people spoiled with military gear have.
    MOLLE II is solid and cheap if you dont object to the weight and color like i did.

I really cant recommend stuff like kifaru to people that thinks army gear is overbuilt because kifaru is basically custom army gear for the affluent weekend warrior.

If you want a durable pack that weighs less than MOLLE II consider a ULA equipment pack. (ultralight adventure equipment)
    They are very lightweight and durable by design, made in the USA, and I know that that company does some custom work.
    So you can get them to make you a pack in 100% 500 denier cordura. My catalyst has good strong plastic hardware. My other pack is a large ALICE,so my durability standards are high.

The only thing I don't like about my pack ( I can live with it) is that they used 1.9 silnylon behind its tough mesh pocket, but I didn't customize mine. every other material was rock solid.
    When I eventually buy another bag from them I will have them use robic or cordura. I know they do custom work because I bought my pack off their 2016 closeout spreadsheet. That spreadsheet has packs with various back panels materials, pink water bottle pockets various closure methods ETC.

4. Tech

Tech Solo Craft Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Wow.....really?!?!

5. Jaysop

Jaysop Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I know I might look weird to other hikers carrying a large bag that doesn't look like it came from REI but I wonder why more people don't look for packs that will last a lifetime.

Other than cost is there really any reason not to?

My day pack is an Osprey manta, Kifaru Antero, or my MR 3DAP depending on what im doing.In that circumstance the Osprey is the most comfortable by far.

But I just don't see how The larger Osprey packs or Gregorys or any of the others using light weight materials hold up as well as people claim.

6. tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

How much abuse do you intend to put the pack through in civilian life? I have good name brand packs from the 80s that are still in good shape. Some have over 1,000 miles on them including long, multiday winter treks.

7. Gruntinhusaybah

Gruntinhusaybah Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    If you want a durable pack and don't mind the cost or weight there is no reason not to do just that.

What I've been considering is getting a place or vendor *cough* phantomxgear *cough* to built a no frills 500d pack bag for a kifaru frame.

That'd get you a bomb proof pack that weighs under 4lbs and can carry 100+lbs

Jaysop and Monkeynono like this.
  8. Monkeynono

Monkeynono Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm in the same boat, I currently use a modified Eberlestock FacTrac but want to go to a ULA Circuit. I don't trust it to take the beating of the trail, and being thrown in the back of the truck.

Jaysop likes this.
  9. Jaysop

Jaysop Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well when I sinch everything up tight it looks like things may rip. They probably won't but it's not as sturdy as I'd like.
    Zippers and small and stick and hang up.
    I like being able to just drop a pack and not worry about abrasion issues.
    I just don't want to be 10 miles in and a lightweight buckle snaps or a seem bursts.

It's probably just paranoia from my lack of experience with these type of bags.

CHREBA likes this.
  10. Keithturkjr

Keithturkjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well, yeah Kifaru like stuff is like custom army gear for the affluent weekend warrior.

Its very nice well made stuff if you want a 8lb. pack with 5000+ cu inch capacity that can carry 120 pounds (what MOLLE II is) and kifaru and mystery ranch offer their customers a lot more variety than military surplus does too. The price is horrendous though, but it you can afford it, then that is your business good sir.

Plus, Jaysop mentioned that he felt like his military gear was overbuilt(which meant recommending an 8 pound pack would be a bad move),but that was before he mentioned that he already owned some of that kind of stuff and liked it.

If you have and like their stuff and want to buy more of it then thats awesome. Not trying to troll your thread

11. Jaysop

Jaysop Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Another option I've found is putting an EXO bag on a Kifaru frame.

That might be a less tactical looking option for me.

12. Jaysop

Jaysop Tracker

Blog Posts:

Kifaru and the like have thier place and purposes.
    I went to look at light weight stuff to save pounds on the pack but as it turns out a woodsman on a hunting frame is just about the same weight as the Baltoro. The lighter packs didn't fit me well.

I can promise I won't be rucking an ILBE ever again.

sepuhcrafts likes this.
  13. Keithturkjr

Keithturkjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    ULA circuit is ULA's most popular pack and its the 2nd most common pack carried by AT thru hikers. Osprey exos or atmos is no1 I think. I sourced that from sectionhiker.com

If you decide to get a ULA, you can call them and tell them to use their heavier materials throughout your entire pack and they will do it for you. The heavier materials will only weigh an additional 3-4 ounces.

Not Sure, rsnurkle and Monkeynono like this.
  14. Keithturkjr

Keithturkjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yeah ILBE looks supercoolio, but I couldn't give it a try because I felt like it might make my back sweat buckets

15. Gruntinhusaybah

Gruntinhusaybah Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Honestly dude, I would just try out the Gregory for awhile, get out there and use the stuff and try modifying to suit what you figure out over a few trips and go from there

16. Sargent

Sargent Bushwhacker Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Keith

Kifaru packs were designed for hunters to haul heavy loads. Infantry men carry heavy loads so the brand overlaps.

Anyone that would say Kifaru is for the weekend warrior has ZERO clue what they are talking about. They have been hauling gear for elite hunters all over the world 24/7 for decades.

Light weight packs just wont carry loads over 40 pounds comfortably. If you have hunting, bushcraft, and/or your kids gear ... you'll be pushing the limits of 2.5 pounds and under packs.

It all has to do with what you want to carry and versatility. Put 30 pounds in an ultralight 30 oz. pack and it digs in. In and out of your car it feels like the straps are going to fall off. Cuben fiber is tough but noisy.

If you are in shape you shouldn't die on the trail with a pack that's a little heavier. If you want to go ultra light go for it but don't come into a thread blowing smoke like that.

I use several different styles but now I'm using a Kifaru 22mag and I'm not looking back. I recently did 14 miles with 2900' gain and 40 pounds in it. Once you get going and warm up I can't tell I have it on.

Gregory and the old Bora ArcTeryx are excellent packs. I have a Bora that has been on countless trips since 2006 and it has held up great. They are the packs the ILBE is based on.

This was a Tuesday.
    [​IMG]IMG_2956 by Brian Sargent, on Flickr

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  17. Jaysop

Jaysop Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The 22 mag looks like it would make a great solo overnighter pack. I wish they made the same layout as the Xing but a little bigger and made for a frame.

With my stuff and my son's stuff the weight adds up quick. But i dont think itll hit 40# but you never know.

Is that a medium belt pouch on the back?

Tech and Sargent like this.
  18. Sargent

Blog Posts:
    Medium belt pouch.

In that bag I have a 20 degree Kifaru slick bag, BCO 10x12, USMC bivy, thermarest, stove kit/titanium pot, most of a PCU clothes kit .. level 1 top/bottom, level 2 top/bottom, 3A jacket, level 4 top/bottom, level 5 jacket, running shoes, SEREchete, Bahco, Darkenergy charger..... I could shove a weeks worth of food in the side pockets easy. The belt pouch has a platy/sawyer, gloves and goretex socks.

The next one I'll get is the Reckoning. Similar layout as the 22mag with the side pockets. It compresses down really well.

I love the long built in side pockets. Great for the chete, poles, gathering materials, saws, spotting scope, tripod ...

xRangerx, rsnurkle and Tech like this.
  19. Keithturkjr

Keithturkjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    "Plus, Jaysop mentioned that he felt like his military gear was overbuilt(which meant recommending an 8 pound pack would be a bad move),but that was before he mentioned that he already owned some of that kind of stuff and liked it.

If you have and like their stuff and want to buy more of it then thats awesome. Not trying to troll your thread"

So that's what I wrote b4 you came in pissed.

There's no previous mention of big game hauling in the thread, or any specifics about packs in the title of the thread either b4 I made a comment. So what was I supposed to say.

20. medic16

medic16 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would personally go with a Kifaru set-up. It would last damn near forever and the resale value is good in case you don't like it.
    Also, Kifaru's customer service is top notch and you can always reach a live person for help with fitting or warranty issues. The newer frames and bags are lighter weight than what they used to be. The also compress really well when not fully loaded.

I have been running my Kifaru Zulu since 2004 with no issues. Eventually I plan to upgrade to a framed pack.

Jaysop likes this.
  21. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm just curious as to what you're carrying that a 75L pack felt overstuffed.

Early Man, rsnurkle and Red Wing like this.
  22. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm 52, in reasonably decent shape for my age, spent a few years in the infantry lugging an Alice pack, saw the light a few years ago, and don't carry more than I have to anymore. I have no feelings either way regarding what you do and how you treat your gear. It is entirely up to you. However, what I personally do is "go light, the lighter the better". I do not ever "throw my gear in the back of the truck". I do not sit on my pack (I'm never that tired after carrying it) or drop it on the ground (it's not that heavy. I can set it down). I was raised to take care of my stuff, no matter how rugged.

That said, I prefer GoLite and ULA packs, mostly GoLite... my favorites are the Gust and Jam70. About 1.25-2lbs each. I use them for most of my trips. At the other end of the spectrum, I have a 5.5lb Bergans canvas frame ruck that I use to schlep firewood into my semi-permanent camp. Use the right tool for the job. If you're not comfortable using ultralight gear, don't... One needn't justify the decision to anyone if you're doing the work of carrying it. Conversely, you can't criticize a man for choosing a lighter way if he's willing to put up with less durability.

Not Sure, Jaysop, rsnurkle and 6 others like this.
  23. Sargent

Blog Posts:
    Not pissed at all. I'm not afraid to tell you that saying " ...because kifaru is basically custom army gear for the affluent weekend warrior." .. is wrong. The main purpose of the company is making load hauling packs for hunters. So I feel you don't understand why they are built the way they are.

rsnurkle and Tech like this.
  24. Red Wing

Red Wing Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Look into ULA.

They use a dyneema robic and still Ultra Lite

Not Sure and rsnurkle like this.
  25. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    First, I'd like to say if you don't have faith in the Gregory pack right now then it is highly likely you will not be happy with it through use. You will always second guess yourself. Get a different pack then.

Second, I don't have the military experience you have (Thank you for your service!) but we do have one thing in common and that is a 6 y.o. that is eager to go hiking/camping. I could be wrong, but I doubt you will be doing any crazy long or strenuous hikes with him for a few years. He will likely get tired about the time you just got warmed up in my experience. Expect lots of breaks, snacks, etc. I doubt you will be testing the limits of any of the equipment you have for a long time unless you plan some solo hikes or with your buddies. If the pack you just bought is comfortable with the weight of yours plus your son's equipment I'd just leave things as is. I don't know what you spent on this new pack either to compare it to a Kifaru, etc. Make sure your son has a comfortable pack as you will have more tolerance for discomfort than he will.

EDIT: I looked up the Baltoro 75 and it goes for about $320 at REI. I looks like an awesome pack. Good luck with your decision.

Jaysop, Red Wing, rsnurkle and 2 others like this.
  26. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    How do you know what pack is right for the job?

- does the pack fit all your gear with a little room to spare?

- does your pack fit you? are there adjustments you can dial fit in with?

-is your pack comfortable with your typical load (and maybe with a little more)?

-does the manufacturer have a good warranty?

-what's the lightest pack that will accomplish all of the above and still provide reasonable longevity

-buy said pack and hit the trail!

27. DarrylM

DarrylM Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    And, by all means, make sure the youngster has an appropriate sized pack. He can carry a few snacks and his little compass and binoculars. Most importantly, when he finds a treasure, he can carry it until he gets tired of it instead of you becoming his mule for a pocket full of sticks and rocks. Once my little guy started carrying his own treasures, he became a lot more likely to admire them and walk away.

28. Keithturkjr

Keithturkjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Got it :)
    Some people use the term "weekend warrior" in a negative context, I was using the term in a more "generic" context, that can encompass "whatever". I agree using the term in this thread using in the negative context would be rude.

rsnurkle likes this.
  29. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Indigenous Skills Junkie

Blog Posts:
    I think this is being over-thought a little bit. If I can fit all my gear in a pack without it being too empty or bursting at the seams from being too full, it doesn't break/fall apart, and it is of a reasonable weight/build for it's size then I would say I picked the right one for the job.

30. Isnalawica

Isnalawica Scout

Blog Posts:
    For comfort and strength with heavy loads, I am a big fan of Deuter bags. I have a Futura 42 and a Sundance 65+10 and both are just great. The Futura has seen heavy use for 11 years and just starts to show signs of wear.
    For plain hiking, I am in the process of modifying a lightweight bag (adding comfort).

Jaysop likes this.
  31. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    ^^ agree with Bitterroot

there is a huge difference in a hunting pack purposely built to haul 70+ lbs of boned meat vs a backpack for hiking 3-5 days down the trail

I own a Stone Glacier pack/frame and wouldn't consider anything else when elk hunting; but if I'm on a typical backpacking trip I go an entirely different route.

If one is looking for just one pack to do both; then only a purpose built hunting pack will suffice- your "typical" backpack will be trashed within an hour or less.

My guess is the Gregory (Osprey, ULA, you fill in the blank) would last you years and years of service for typical backpacking needs.

32. snapper

snapper Guide

Blog Posts:
    I hope this doesn't come off as my being a wise a$$ but to answer your question; you know you've got the right pack if it carries the gear you want to bring with you and it fits you properly. After that, at least to me, it's all a matter of opinion and conjecture. Only you can answer those two questions.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - I didn't read all of the replies prior to posting so I apologize if my comments were already alluded to.

rsnurkle likes this.
  33. Jaysop

Jaysop Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You guys are probably right. I don't see many posts about these kind of packs falling apart. It's just initial shock about how much different the materials are.

I looked at the ULA packs and they seem great but I'm not really feeling the layout. Also they may be a bit on a small side.

It's no where near over stuffed. I may even swap it for a 65.

My little 6 year old carries a little Osprey pack for his snacks and jacket and stuff. He's tough and can bang out 8 miles on the trail. Granted he's well stocked on fruit snacks.

I do hunt but I won't be packing out an elk any time soon. I usually drag a deer not carry them.

I'll probably just end up with both

Red Wing, superpaco and mtwarden like this.
  34. Towander

Towander Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Let us know what you get.

As a former grunt my first backpacking was done with way too much gear. After all, after humping rounds for the '60,motar, maybe a LAW, my basic load and mission essentials,water and a meal per day , what ever I wanted for civilian pleasure didn't compare...but was still heavy. Thirty years later I ve a 50L Osprey, small canister stove,down wonderfulness to stay warm, hammock and lite weight tarp. I had never be above 30lbs. I fully understand your opinion but maybe have some faith in the civilian gear 'cause you really shouldn't be abusing it.

Would love Kifaru myself for hunting but use a British Bergan ruck for everything including wood collection. Won't puncture. Bullet proof. Waist belt is mostly useless.

Jaysop likes this.
  35. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Me, my Gregory Z30, offspring with an Osprey Solo.
    20170218_172956.jpg

36. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't want or need bulletproof/lifetime, that would represent dead weight as I've turned into a weight weenie. This stuff is also subject to obsolescence and every pack I've purchased since my first has been progressively smaller volume and lighter weight as UL gear has advanced, I upgrade, and I keep learning new ways to simplify, multi-task, and minimize. I'm also a gear-aholic and have more bags than I can possibly wear out in multiple lifetimes, and I take good care of gear when in use.

Anyways, age always seems to rot out the waterproof linings on these bags after a few decades.... I have a few Patrick Smith bags rotting as we speak (Mountainsmith Bugaboo/Tours). Not trying to knock anyone's preferences or products, just what my own view/experience is/has been.

rsnurkle likes this.
  37. superpaco

superpaco Scout

Blog Posts:

If the cost is not prohibitive for you, I can't think of one reason you would not go with a Kifaru or HPG. HYOH bro, you'll enjoy it more.

I will say though, Gregory is a quality company and few will have real complaints....

Jaysop and rsnurkle like this.
  38. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Indigenous Skills Junkie

Blog Posts:
    Badlands is a good brand, it's a hunting brand though. I bought a Badlands Superday Pack, cost 200 bucks but has a lifetime warranty. It's a really good pack, it's not built too heavy but it's not flimsy like it's going to fall apart.

They call this a day pack but there is plenty of room for multi night trips.

Picture of a random guy wearing one so you can get an idea of the size.
    [​IMG]

Jaysop likes this.
  39. Jaysop

Jaysop Tracker

Blog Posts:
    So I've decided I'm going to keep the Gregory and run it through it's paces during the summer. I got it from REI so I can always return it if things don't work out.

I realized that as I'm shopping for sleeping bags and pads that I've been looking for the lightest stuff possible. So it's foolish to want such a heavy bag up front like that.

I ended up getting myself a Nemo 30 degree down bag that weighs about 2 pounds. I think I'll get my son a synthetic. That way I end up having both kinds.

Any recommendations for a light weight 30 degree synthetic? I've already dumped my well used MIL sleep system.

Red Wing and Kona9 like this.
  40. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    take a peek at Apex quilts- lightweight, do much better in wet weather vs down and when combined with a down bag in winter make for a great winter sleep system (put the quilt on the outside)

xRangerx and Red Wing like this.
  41. Tanner68

Tanner68 Scout

Blog Posts:
    LA Foothills, PRK (Peoples Republik of Kalifornia)
    Los Padres NF, looking south towards the Sespe and Piedra Blanca?

42. Red Wing

Blog Posts:
    If youre 32 and above, id go aegismax off ebay. Thats what i use and its fantastic. Id also look at Hammock Gears Economy quilts in 800fp. No better deal than aegismax 30deg bag at 800fp for 70.00 though. Sewn through or not.

FWIW Gregory knows how to make a technical pack. That Baltoro is one of THE BEST large capacity packs for the money. You really fell into a bit of luck starting with that. Especially carrying gear for your kids. Thats a cadillac pack right there.

Jaysop likes this.
  43. Jaysop

Jaysop Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The more I pack up this bag the more I like it. The tent takes up a lot of space so I compressed it and now I'm really thinking I should drop to a 65 liter.
    Once I pick out some sleeping pads and throw those in there I'll really know.

I'm glad I posted this question and I'm grateful for all the responses because I was about to return the bag without giving it a chance.

I'm a chronic over packer so as I'm minimizing what I need and use and picking things that have multiple purposes I'm needing less space and it's weighing less.
    No matter how much it weighs I still pack my esee 3 and letherman wave!

44. Keithturkjr

Keithturkjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here's a synthetic option on the economy side of the spectrum. 1.8 lbs. 32 degree claim not bad for 40 bucks. Yeah, if they claim 32 then its should surely be good at 40-45
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chinook-20330-Thermopalm-Mummy-32F-Blue/23233694

45. Red Wing

Blog Posts:
  46. Keithturkjr

Keithturkjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    The only down bag I have is an old obsolete USAF survival bag. Its a pretty cool bag.

Its a funny design though, its got an ultra light design thin draw cord at the top, no zipper (I scrunch it down and step into it kinda like a set of overalls), but its like 5 lbs because its got a bombproof 210 denier cordura liner (white) and shell (olive drab) it reversible, and I think the fill is like some ultra durable 550 fill with 10% feathers its heavy, but it does compress pretty well and its super toasty.

47. petey091

petey091 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a friend who started backpacking three years ago. His first pack was a USMC ILBE that weighs 9 pounds. He said it was capable of carrying an 81 mm mortar. Since we didn't have one of those on the trail it was definitely overkill in weight and he paid for it. His second pack was an REI Traverse at 5 pounds. A Weight savings of 5 pounds. His final pack was the ULA Circuit at 41 oz. A total weight savings of 6.5 pounds. If you feel more comfortable with a military surplus pack that was designed for the lowest common denominator then go with it. Most people just don't need it.

Not Sure likes this.
  48. Jaysop

Jaysop Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well Kifaru pack isn't a MIL surplus pack made in bulk for the lowest cost but I get where you're coming from.
    For what I'm doing the purpose built hiking packs are where it's at.

I wish I could fit 2 sleeping bags, two sleeping pads, tent, water, food, cook kit, and essentials into a 65 liter though. The 75 a pretty dam big.

49. xRangerx

xRangerx Woods wandering bird nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I don't know if you are open to other pack options. But the kifaru mountain warrior is awesome.

50. caoutdoorsman

caoutdoorsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    From what I've seen on the Gregory website it looks like they have a pretty good warranty. I have a JanSport that finally wore through after 7 years and I got a new replacement for the cost of shipping.

You might not need a super beefy pack if you can easily send it in for repairs or replacement, and the weight savings can be a big plus.