How far have you hiked in a day?

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by froldt, Apr 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. froldt

froldt Scout

Blog Posts:
    Three of us tried to condense a long hike into a long weekend and decided that we over-estimated our abilities/training (though we still covered more than half of the 59 miles and quit with a full day to go). We had a friend shuttling gear with us so we only carried lunch, water, rain gear, and first-aid supplies with us. My wife and I were debating and are pretty sure we still hit a personal best at 26.4 miles hiked in one day.

This made me curious - what's your longest hike? And what were you carrying - nothing, day packs, or full backpacks?

Bobsdock and shotgunpapa like this.
  2. Salts

Salts Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've never been a speed hiker so the most I've done has been 8 miles in a day. That was with a full pack weighing about 35 lbs.

Terasec and shotgunpapa like this.
  3. BigFootSurvival

BigFootSurvival Guide

Blog Posts:
    I did 25 miles once with a 5 day pack. I prefer 8-12 mile days.

shotgunpapa likes this.
  4. ChrisB

ChrisB Tracker

Blog Posts:
    27 miles with a backpack, @ 50 lbs, in the Dolomites.

shotgunpapa likes this.
  5. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    right around 20miles with 30lbs....long day

shotgunpapa likes this.
  6. scottyc

scottyc Scout

Blog Posts:
    23 when i did the AT.. Now being old i do about 5 to 8 every weekend

JerseyDevil22 and shotgunpapa like this.
  7. BCSteel

BCSteel Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    In my younger, more athletic days I would routinely do in the 30 km range each day on 2 to 4 day trips.
    Now, I'm much more into the journey than the destination and around 20 kms is enough. Can I do more, sure. Do I want to do more? Not usually lol. Although my wife does have a 140 km hike over 6 days planned for us through the mountains this year so we'll see how that goes.

shotgunpapa likes this.
  8. Hawkcreek

Hawkcreek Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    If forced ruck marches count I've done to much! Hiking on my own I get distracted and go investigate things so I end up moving down the trail at a pretty slow pace.

9. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'm going off memory, but believe our personal "record" for one day is ~12 miles. That's with a full pack, 5 days worth of gear/food/water. Never weighed my pack full but guessing around 35 pounds, maybe more at the start with water bottles/bladders full.

To be honest, I see no need to really go much beyond that for practical and enjoyment purposes (only speaking for myself here). If it were necessary to do more in a day, consistently, then either the trail choice was too long or duration of planned trip too short.

shotgunpapa likes this.
  10. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I think one has to figure out the point of a trip beforehand, is your goal to put in miles?, see scenerey you don't get to normally?, try out camping gear, and or tricks, tips.?
    All have their benefit, and should not be overlooked, but instead figured out while planning the trip.

Hook likes this.
  11. egricheson81

egricheson81 Scout

Blog Posts:
    15 klicks full combat load.

12. t.darrah

t.darrah Guide

Blog Posts:
    Going light, long and hard can be a challenging and rewarding goal. I've done the TRT on multiple occasions with a goal of finishing in under four days which requires 40+ miles per day. I'm hoping to return this fall and do it again counter clockwise as earlier efforts were all clockwise.

13. Gerald_G

Gerald_G Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Myself and two buddies hiked the Chilkoot trail through from Dyea in one day. It was early spring (May I think), and the train was not running, so we also had to hike the tracks back out to the car (at Log Cabin - as it's called). Over all, very close to 60km (40miles) over some tough terrain. Day packs only, not full gear. We added a detour of unknown length when we lost the trail in deep snow, and at least 10 maybe 15km was post-holing in said deep snow. My personal record.

http://www.yukonhiking.ca/chilkoot.html

Google some images - very spectacular place.

14. ANFwoodsman

ANFwoodsman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My longest mile day was 35 miles with a day pack. I did some 18 and 19 mile days on the AT with a full pack but all those days were in my early 20's. Now I like my backpacking days to be 8 to 12 miles max or it feels too rushed and beats up my knees.

15. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'll just add that for me, terrain also plays a big part in how much mileage my body is up for. Hiking 10+ miles on mostly flat, well maintained trail isn't hard. Walking 10 miles when large portions are extremely rocky with significant and sharp elevation changes (up or down) can quickly make 10 miles feel like 100.

But I don't backpack to set any records or impress anyone else. It's nice that my regular backpacking group all share that mindset.

16. GunGoBoom

GunGoBoom I'm not lost, I've just misplaced myself. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking the same thing. If we are talking voluntary recreational hiking probably no more than 5 or 6 miles (not including an instance of being "misplaced"). If we are talking about walking in the woods with a pack in general, I put some miles in around Fort Knox.

grey mouse likes this.
  17. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    The Zion Narrows from the Kolob Plateau was a 15+ mile day hike, but it was all "downhill".

jack likes this.
  18. dRobinson

dRobinson Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm not big on long-distance backpacking / putting in more than 6-7 mi per day, though I enjoy it on occasion. The most I have done in a day is 13 miles, starting around 10am and finishing around 4pm. That trip was actually just a few weeks ago (mid March) in the Grayson Highlands / Mt Rogers area of VA on the AT. In all we did 20 miles in two days with nonstop rain and wind. It was pretty tough on me as I did a poor job with packing and took much, much more than I needed.

I agree with HeadyBrew completely concerning terrain. Plays a huge part in my planning / choices.

19. Timberdogz

Timberdogz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Once, in my misguided youth, I did a 29 mile hike out when the jeep died...then another two or three miles until I got to a phone and called for a tow from a friend! These days I like to keep the hikes under six miles so my knees don't get a restraining order against me!

20. Easy_rider75

Easy_rider75 Bushwhacker

Blog Posts:
    Farthest years ago with a pack had about 40lbs I think was about 20ish? I do long day walks farthes was a 12 miler that was round trip

21. herpingmad

herpingmad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    biggest weight to distance ratio, 28km with 50+pounds, furthest distance, somewhere between 33-35km. All in the rockies scrambling (a LOT of elevation increase, no flat land here)

22. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    22 miles with a daypack with sandwich and an apple for lunch, water, raingear, first aid and spare socks...

23. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I did 25 miles on Isle Royale with just a daypack with water, lunch and raingear. I was looking for moose as part of a research project. I crossed Greenstone ridge four times then going down to Lake Superior on different trails. That was 40 years ago. I'm reasonably certain I will never go that far in a day ever again.

24. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I hiked a section of the PCT in 1972. I think my longest day was around 18-20 miles. The scenery was what kept me on a slow pace. The Sierras are beautiful.

Steve

25. dustinf

dustinf Guide

Blog Posts:
    I did 16 miles at work the other day.

26. livetosurvive

livetosurvive Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The way I see it, there are two kinds of backpacking: Living in the bush, or running through the bush.
    I saw last year, a women set the record for the AT averaging 38 miles per day. She ate granola bars, barely slept the whole way, with as much support from her husband as possible.
    We live in the bush; cook, wash up, pick berries and look at interesting rocks. We have old style gear, but still not over 25 pounds with three days food. For us, (I am 60, my wife is 54) 12 miles a day is maximum.
    Terry

27. MASC1104

MASC1104 Old Dominion Resident Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Commonwealth of Virginia - The Mother of States
    Many years ago, 20-25 with 2 nite loadout

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  28. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My Army hikes don't count... Longest worth mentioning was 16 miles in the Smokies with a roughly 35lb pack.

29. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    The most that I've ever done was a bit over 15 miles with about 2,500' vertical years ago somewhere out around Snoqualmie, WA. That didn't include walking across the U District to catch an early bus out to Snoqualmie pass, walking/hitchhiking to the trailhead as well as hitchhiking back to the bus stop, then back to the apartment at the end of the day. And this after being on a fishing boat for almost four months.

30. marsturm

marsturm Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I did 32.5 miles in one day, The Kelso Endurance Hike, while a scout leader in my son's Boy Scout Troop. Carrying only a butt-pack with water and snacks. The majority of scouts and adult leaders completed the hike. A sag wagon followed the course picking up those that were unable to complete the hike.

31. loose bolts

loose bolts Tracker

Blog Posts:
    22 miles with a old Swiss rucksack (not a good idea) i was a rookie out with a few diehard guys that wanted to see what i was made of, hazing ritual of sorts. unless a yeti is after me i prefer shorter trips and take my time.

32. hdlv

hdlv Treen Machine

Blog Posts:
    A friend and I did 23 miles section hiking the AT, the pack was about 26lbs to start. We averaged about 18-20 miles over the corse of five days and boy did our feet regret it afterwards.... for weeks. Next time there will be a bit of warming up.

33. rocketbomb

rocketbomb Guide

Blog Posts:
    Longest day wasn't that impressive for distance (18 miles according to Google Earth, two of us measured the hike afterward and came up with the same result expecting it to be a lot longer) but it took us 13.5 hours with all the snow, difficult route finding, climbing, and off trail work. Sourdough Glacier area to the Green River trailhead via Lost Eagle Peak in the Winds. Not entirely sure I've done anything longer distance wise, but have done a few days up there. Nothing that tough though.

34. OntarioClarence

OntarioClarence Tracker

Blog Posts:
    41 kms (25.5 miles) with a full day pack. It weighed roughly 30 lbs, most of which was gear for just in case we needed to camp overnight, but we didnt. It took us 14 hours with 2 short snack breaks, 2 full meal breaks, and some sight seeing. We walked the full Elgin Hiking Trail in Southwestern Ontario. It was amazing and i am looking forward to doing it again very soon.

35. Izzy

Izzy Deceased.

Blog Posts:
    21 in 11 hours. A High Peaks 46er hike that conquered 5 peaks.

36. Chazzle

Chazzle Wandering Teacher Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My brother and I did 14 miles with a full 40# pack in a day.

37. canoecanoe

canoecanoe Tracker

Blog Posts:
    About 22 miles with no gear. Down the Bright Angel trail all the way to the Colorado River and back out in one day. Thought I was going to die! But I didn't.

Grand Canyon, of course.

38. azb

azb Scout

Blog Posts:
    On a fairly flat section of the AT in Maine, I've hiked 22 miles with a 70lb pack. I've hiked the Stekoahs in NC from Wesser to Fontana dam, a very hilly section of the trail 16 miles long, and was done shortly after noon. If you count hiking down into Fontana and back to the dam, it was probably pretty close to 26 miles.

These days in the mountains I carry far less weight and take my time. If I keep moving, 15-18 miles is doable, but 11-13 is more typical. I generally do much more bushwhacking than trail hiking and that cuts mileage in half.

My daughter did the Rachel Carlson challenge last year, that was 34 miles. Only a small pack.

But it's not really about the miles, although it is good to know your limits.

Az

39. DeseretPatriot

DeseretPatriot Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I do rim to rim of the Grand Canyon in a day about once a year. 24 1/2 miles

40. canoecanoe

canoecanoe Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am duly impressed, sir.

41. DeseretPatriot

DeseretPatriot Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Haha, don't be. I pay for it for about a week afterwards every time. The older I get the more I say to myself "man, I really should start preparing for this". The key for me is water, water, and some more water.

42. bobc

bobc Scout

Blog Posts:
    about 9-12 miles per day with a full pack....of course, that's when i as younger and in shape!...my philosophy is set your pace so you can have a conversation on the trail....and stop and smell the roses!!!

bob

43. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    25 miles in the Gila national forest. not fun for everyone. the fitter hikers should have been more considerate.

now? i bet i can still do it, but i wont.

44. Strngwlkr

Strngwlkr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ha- that's what I was thinking!
    We did a 36 mile day with full load (~70lbs)! Got us a 4 day weekend...course most of us used the 1st two days to recover! And hell, we were all batwing 19-25.
    Nowadays I keep it to about 5-8 depending on terrain....on a trail or TT, I CAN DO 10-12 but I am not enjoying the vistas much

45. rdec

rdec Guide

Blog Posts:
    In my prime (some time ago) unladen on reasonably level terrain I averaged a 10 minute mile. As a survey officer in the army I would put in 20-30 miles/day with belt gear without any real effort. For the most part, though, I never kept track. Whether afoot or in a canoe I don't go out to set speed records. FWIW: The army estimates foot marches with field gear and reasonable terrain at 1 MPH. That is 50 minutes walking and a 5-10 minute break every hour.

On marked trails, shelters are often set 1 day apart for the average hiker.

When you get down to it, what is the worst thing that can happen if you underestimate your speed? You spend some extra time in camp - and isn't that one of the things you are there for?

46. Brownie

Brownie Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Overnight backpack mode...about 5 miles a day ;)

Usually it's at higher elevations and seems to always be going uphill

47. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    46 miles is my personal, albeit stupidest "best", with about a 20 pound pack. Some of it was in the dark and much of it was a goat path. It didn't seem like that big of a deal when I did it but looking back I realize how unsafe it was, even though I did leave my trip details with folks at home. I consider myself a speed hiker who is more concerned with getting to the destination then taking time along the way and I understand that will baffle many of you, it's just always how I've done things. I now limit myself to 20 miles per day now, give or take, to enjoy the scenery, but to also force myself to take my time.

48. Outdooraddict

Outdooraddict Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've logged over 20 miles while put hunting. Most of my camping includes a good portion of the travel being via water ;) I prefer it that way

49. Grits

Grits Guide

Blog Posts:
    22 miles with a 3-day, 2-night pack. 27 miles on a dayhike with about 12 pounds of gear.

That said, those were simply personal challenges. Most of the time, I like to go in the 3-9 range, as I much prefer to investigate the many diversions (game trails, creeks, cliff-tops, old homesteads, etc.) and spend time hanging out in camp.

50. Long Hunter

Long Hunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    22mi on the AT carrying over 50lbs. I played ball in high school and college and was always the guy designated to take "a little bit" of gear from everyone else (my gear loaded out was about 39lbs). That was 25 years, 3 knee surgeries, 1 Achilles tendon full rupture, 1 rotator cuff tear, 3 broken vertebrae, 4 broken ribs, 1 broken ankle, 1 dislocated femur and 1 broken pelvis ago. Now 8-10 miles with 30lbs - less if any real elevation gain.