Discussion in 'Axe Mob' started by batmanacw, Apr 11, 2017.
Good for you folks. Hell of a tool the axe.
I think I'm at 16 or 17 now.
Last count I had over 50 in various states of readiness. I like to hunt for old ones and restore them. I have a couple friends that also like old tools so we are always swapping and trading. I know a guy that's obsessed with axes and has a huge network of people he buys from. He told me at last count he was over 800!
That guy with 800 axes sounds like someone I need to know when I'm looking for specific axes.
Sorry to tell you this but he told me he has never sold an axe from his stash!
The total number increased by 2 today at a small flea market. I picked up an unmarked hatchet and this Kelly Hammer Hatchet.
Got two,my favorite is my Hultafors Hunter's ax which I keep quite sharp.My other is the Husqvarna hatchet.Only thiing about the Husqvarna it's difficult to get a real sharp edge on so I rarely use it.It came from Amazon with a so-so factory edge.I tried sharpening it on my WorkSharp knife sharpener and could still only get it not to my expectations.
Hultafors Hunting Ax
I added two antler burrs to secure the ax mask
Husqvarna hatchet with home made ax mask
14, counting the "Monster Maul" (not shown) Ha, my son can not break it!
I have 14 axes, hatchets and mauls
1. 3.5 Michigan pattern double bit bought new by my uncle in 1939-40
2. Little cruiser dbl bit not marked but I am pretty sure it's a Kelly wood slasher. Eye ridges and red paint in the eye
3. Council tool boys axe
4. Modified harbor freight firemans hatchet
5. Fiskars original 14 in hatchet
6. Fiskars X-5 8 in hatchet
7. Estwing dbl bit hatchet
8. Vaughan 22 oz riggers hatchet
9. & 10. Cheap harbor freight 1.25 lb fiberglass handle hatchets
11. Cold steel Norse hawk on a 14 in handle
12. S.O.G. fasthawk picked up on a gift card expecting a toy actually a decent tool as long as you realize its size limitations
13. 12lb monster maul
14. 6lb harbor freight splitting mail
The harbor freight axes/mauls are better than many expect, you need to look at them and be your own quality control
30-35, I think.
More than my wife thinks I need.
I'll be down to 93 by Monday.