1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

How many kits do you take

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Macrosill, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Macrosill

Macrosill Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Kits galore!
    Personal survival kit
    72 hour kit
    Day kit
    Bushcraft kit

What do you take with you when you go out for an overnighter? I realize season and purpose will change things. You bring you main kit with everything you need for the trip. But when you leave camp to go find some resources what do you take with you in the event you can't make it back to camp? PSK, day kit, 72 hour kit??? Do you take your entire pack minus whatever is set up at your camp? A small survival pack? How many different packs can one take with them on an overnight trip? It seems this pack and more packs thing can get a bit out of control depending on who or what you listen to.

Bryan King, Badey, MrFixIt and 7 others like this.
  2. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
  3. hooliganwithheart

hooliganwithheart Scout

Blog Posts:
    To go find resources or the likes...i don't take a lot (not paranoid enough and feel competent enough to make it through at least 24hrs in most situations);

1. Knife and fire-steel (always have a lighter on me).
    2. Water and Metal Canteen so i have means of boiling water if needed. I always have a 500ml cup/pot with lid in H20 kit also, oh and an instant coffee or six to keep me smiling if things goes pear shape for a bit.
    3. First Aid Kit / Whistle.

4. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When straying away from camp to gather firewood, etc... I usually just take my knife and a good fire kit. I always keep those things on my person.

I see the merit of carrying more items, but I never venture more than a couple minutes from camp. I find it hard to imagine a scenario in which I was unable to drag myself back to camp at the very least.

5. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I don't quite organize things with that mentality. I think in terms of capability. So with my edc, I'm capable of doing X, with my possibles pouch- X+1, with my back pack- X+2, with my camper X+3. Where X is surviving in the current environment at a base level of comfort for a certain period of time.

It is very similar to the layer-kit approach, but more focused on my skills and ability than gear selection. As my skills improve, my "kit" changes.

There are 2 exceptions to this: First, my GHB in my car is identical to my wife's in her car because she may be driving "my" car on any given day. Second, I have a "mess tin kit" I put together as a project (and the eventual Bushclass outing.) This kit would be usable by just about anyone and is the only true "survival kit." Everthying else is just my "stuff."

6. jswi2374

jswi2374 Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The idea behind "packs" and "kits" is to make things simpler. I pack in layers, like @Unistat76 mentioned. Like anything else, kit mentality can be carried too far. Too many kits prevent you from carrying, finding, and using what you have.

For everyday: EDC stuff
    For a quick hike: EDC + small bag + First Aid kit +PSK I.
    For a longer hike: EDC + small bag + FAK + PSK I + bottle of water.
    For a day bushcrafting: EDC + bushcrafting bag with FAK + PSK I + PSK II + water + bushcrafty stuff
    For an overnight: all of the above plus... main backpack with clothes, tent, sleeping bag, food + mess kit.

These are some of my kits and bags, from smallest to largest.
    0913171348.jpg

I leave my "day bushcrafting" bag packed all the time and use it most. Just out of laziness, I suppose.

7. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Scout

Blog Posts:
    If I had my way and the money I would have a really good canves and leather bag that would hold most of my gear and a nice haversake as well. I don't know if it would be a 24 hour kit or just a survivor kit. Prov 27:17

8. Macrosill

Macrosill Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have been thinking about this for a while now.

If you listen to some advice found on the internet and take it as gospel then you will essentially need to duplicate a lot of gear.

I am thinking about just having my main pack with whatever is needed for the trip. Then have a small waist pack for when I scout around. It will contain basic emergency kit/gear. Some items well be duplicate.

I will have my water bottle and nesting cup with me anyway along with my knife and whatever is in my pockets, ferrocerium rod, lighter. I can have a reusable space blanket, courage, compass, tinder and fire starters, small first aid kit, 55 gal garbage bag, extra lighter, small compass, sak.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

9. 556mp

556mp Bushmaster Vendor Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm bad. I just throw a bunch of stuff in my pack and go. The only "kit" I have is a first aid bag in my truck, and my fishing bag.

Lichen, Badey, Crazysanman and 6 others like this.
  10. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    For overnight camping, two or three, I think. I have a First Aid Kit, a Repair Kit, and a handline Fishing Kit that doesn't go every time.

I carry other stuff camping, but not in dedicated "kits"... some of it (maybe most of it) all bleeds together in the main compartment of my pack... We've talked about this before, the "everything must have its own compartment in a pack" people vs the "it's just a big sack with straps" people. I'm a big sack person. Big stuff goes in the main compartment, virtually everything else goes in a waterproof stuff sack in a "junk drawer" outside pocket.

On day hikes/hunting, I have what I call a "brew kit", but it's just a simpler way of saying "the pot, cup, stove, spoon, tea, sugar, and lunch I carry to make a hot lunch with". The contents vary with the trip, morphing into a "cook kit" on an overnighter, to include a shaker of seasoned salt (not enough to count as a 'spice kit').

Actually, I also have what I call a mapping kit. Map, aerial photos, colored pencils, graph paper, GPS, flagging tape, pencil, eraser, map protractor, and a few other odds and ends... it goes on some overnighters to new places, so I can map things out in the evening.

For hunting I have what I call a "kill kit" that includes rubber gloves, plastic bags, and paper towels, for when I need to field dress something and set aside the heart and tenderloins.

Don't have a standard fire kit, survival kit, or line kit.

11. woodsmanjohn

woodsmanjohn Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I leave my main pack back at camp an carry the following. A belt pouch (PSK) 2 SOL Emergency blankets in a small bag I carry in my pocket a Maxpedition water bottle pouch with a stainless steel canteen and nesting cup with lid. A large knife, Skarama and Neck knife. I have a light weight haversack I carry a few snacks in as well, I use it to gather materials too. That's about it.

MrFixIt and Winterhorse like this.
  12. jswi2374

Blog Posts:
    Amen to that! Those two bags would do it for 90% of what 90% of people actually do.

While you save up for that really good leather and canvas bag, might I suggest this $25 Wal-Mart special?
    "Coffee LESHP Men Women Fashion Vintage Army Canvas Backpack Rucksack School Satchel Outdoor Travel Hiking Casual Bag"
    d86a4e17-29ed-4b86-a51c-30ce96ddd4f6_1.07f9ab1500e691652471cbfc2667de3f.jpg After waxing and oiling, I have been very impressed with mine. The Mora of backpacks!
    I also use and like these haversacks from Lost Wild Outdoors.com $40.
    s576825973440422192_p93_i1_w640.jpg

and @Macrosill , I wouldn't even take the Gospel as gospel if I read it on the internet. Figure out what works for you.

turdle, 556mp, MrFixIt and 3 others like this.
  13. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here a canves Bag I got at a 2 hand store last weekend. I just need to clean it up an wax it. An thanks to @MrFixIt I can try to wax it now.Prov 27:17

Attached Files:

turdle, MrFixIt and FIELDCRAFTLTC like this.
  14. Primordial

Primordial Tracker

Blog Posts:
    For "kits" during an over night trip, I usually have one of two PSKs depending on how deep I am going into the boonies. They are designed to get me through a number of nights in the woods if need be and one kit is a little more comprehensive than the other, and that's the one I take when I'm way off trail alone. Ditto for FAKs.

My other "Kit" would be a cook kit of some sort. That contains my mess kit along with any eating utensils I choose to take for that outing. I don't have a "fire kit" per say, but always have either matches and ferro rod, or a ferro rod and lighter on my person, with back ups in my PSK. For that past year I've taking a tinder pouch with that carries, well, tinder. Both natural and man made varieties. I use that only if I can't find any ready sources of dry tinder, which does some times happen. I wouldn't call it a kit though.

The rest of my stuff I wouldn't call a kit, but more like a set of organized systems, if that makes sense. Like my shelter system. Tarp, ropes, stakes, hammock, bug net ect. I try to keep the tarp, ropes and stakes together, and I try to keep the hammock and bug net together. I also try to keep all my food stuffs in one container like a pouch of some sort, if possible. It just makes all that stuff easier to find, pack and unpack if they are all in one place. Then I have my sleep system which is can be a sleeping bag, and or bag liner or blanket. That should be the main reason for a kit to exist anyway...it's all about organization and ease of use in my opinion, plus it makes your whole system modular. Add or remove "kits" or systems from your pack as needs dictate. One can make this as organized and broken down component wise as one wants.

Once camp is set and I'm out and about just the PSK and a mostly empty pack with water or another layer of clothing comes with depending on conditions. Plus the stuff on my person like knife, matches, ferro rod ect.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    MrFixIt and jswi2374 like this.
  15. oddjob35

oddjob35 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Like mentioned above, layering is the game.

PSK (Personal Survival Kit) ... Should be on your person at all times (not packed away in a sack somewhere!). So that will go with you automatically when away from your base camp and should have just enough to get you through if you are prevented from returning to camp. Check out the threads on this forum for PSK contents and suggestions.
    FAK (1st Aid Kit) ... I actually keep a small one separately from my PSK, but on my person at all times. Full FAK back at base camp or carried in day/overnight pack if leaving base for a good period.
    Day Pack ... Can use a small pack or haversack if just going out for the day, but if leaving from a base camp, Either use full sized pack but stripped down to just what you need for the day, carrying Food/Water, food prep/cooking gear, fire kit, appropriate clothing extras (wet gear, extra layers etc.), signaling, navigation and any kit you may need for your intended purpose (e.g. Camera, bushcrafty stuff, fishing gear, gathering bags, identification books etc.) Or similar gear packed in pouches stripped from your main pack and carried perhaps by the main pack harness or a yoke/belt setup (or if you have room pack a separate daypack/bag
    Overnight away from base camp ... Use Daypack ideas but basically add shelter and sleep gear with a bit more food and maybe carried water.
    Full Bushcraft Kit .... Whatever you need for however long you are planning to stay out and what you plan to do!! As you say this will vary due to AO, time of year, weather forecast etc.

That really covers the Bushcraft "kits" others you may have heard about are more specialized or focused on special scenarios. So ...

The 72hr kit is either your full kit if you are going out shrafting, OR, it's an "Emergency Bag" kept either at home to grab and go, or, kept in the car just in case. It will hopefully keep you and yours "going" for 72hours or more.

BOB (Bug Out Bag or Kit) .... In my case it is more than just one bag!!! But this is your get out of town n the event of TEOTWAWKI

GHB (Get Home Bag or Kit) ... Kept in the car with sufficient gear to get you home from any of your normal places of travel (e.g. work or family) in the event of a major disruption to travel or your vehicle

Hope this helps clarify a bit.

OJ

xrayit, MrFixIt and Primordial like this.
  16. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    turdle, Timberdogz, OrienM and 10 others like this.
  17. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have 3 "kits". 1 is an edc Maxped jumbo. It goes with me every time I leave the house. #2 is what most would call a 3 day kit, it's in a kind of large messenger bag. It goes when I'm going anywhere except to the city park, (deer lease, fishing, kayaking for the day, ect) and a Heavy kit. It's what goes in the kayak if we are going 5-7 days from civilization. Some things migrate from 3 day to heavy, knife, machete, poncho liner. If I'm 3 days from the nearest road, I don't go more than 50 yards from my camp. I just don't need to. If I'm carrying the 3 day, I can stop anytime and the "camp" is where I am. :)

jswi2374 and MrFixIt like this.
  18. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I'm mostly a pocket guy, for basics......plus coat pockets for special tasks.....the add shoulder bag with everything else.

jswi2374 and MrFixIt like this.
  19. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Let us know how it works for you. I've waxed one bag already and it works well.

hunter63 and jswi2374 like this.
  20. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I don't keep dedicated kits. I have way too much gear for that.

When I plan an overnight I think in terms of functional areas and pack those items.

For example: (1) Shelter. I'll bring the REI Half Dome 2 tent, Neo Air mattress, and my 15 degree Marmot sleeping bag. (2) Lighting. My Black Diamond Icon Hheadlamp and Olight S10R. (3) Food. I'll bring the Heavy Cover canteen and Vargo stove. I'll also throw in a snow peak Ti pot and my kuksa. (4) Cutting tools. My BCUSA knife, a folding saw and a SAK Farmer will do the trick.

And so on. My load out is entirely different every time I hit the bush, based on where I'm going, how long I'll be there, what time of the year it is, etc. Making kits means you bring too much stuff and less than optimal stuff.

Unistat76 and marbleman like this.
  21. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    I guess my first aid kit is about my only pre-built "kit". I'm in the "just throw stuff in there" group, but I do think in categories when packing (sleeping gear, food-related stuff, rain gear....etc) which helps me be a little more organized.

ETA: I do always, always carry a full water bottle, a bic lighter, and a pocketknife...my 'bare minimum' kit, I suppose. Any little trip away from camp, I bring these three without fail.

Unistat76 likes this.
  22. longhunter

longhunter Northman Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    New store in town "Kits are Us". Lol

Lichen likes this.
  23. Madwell

Madwell Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just one but it's bullet proof. images (4).jpg

Unistat76, marbleman and JakeStone like this.
  24. feellnfroggy

feellnfroggy Guide

Blog Posts:
    All of them. I can't make up my mind and I don't get out enough to dislike anything or sort.

25. turdle

turdle Tracker

Blog Posts:
    have this one on the way could not pass on the price i guess.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/30L-Canvas-...hash=item3616b6dcf3:m:miOMKKbIRgPWs6ZmePthMPw

[​IMG]

26. jswi2374

Blog Posts:
    @turdle that's the exact same bag I paid $25 for. You got a great deal. Wax it well and it will be worth twice what you paid.
    Glad I tipped you off.
    Jason