How many use a poncho for their rain gear and shelter

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by FlapjackE, Jul 14, 2017.

1. FlapjackE

FlapjackE Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Trying to get an idea how many people on here are what I like to call "poncho advocates". I personally am one, being from the Pacific "North-wet". I've tried all manner of rain gear, from goretex, to new fangled lightweight space age waterproof/breathable gear. In my experience, with the amount of rain we see up here on the left coast, all of it is about as effective as a cotton T shirt. My experience has been that nothing is as waterproof as good ol fashioned rubber.

In comes the poncho. Typically rubberized and highly waterproof, yet not plagued by breathability issues because of its open, man-dress design. And the best part is, it will also cover your pack and any gear you happen to carry on your body. Then there's the multi-use factor.

When I was in the military I spent many a comfy night in a poncho hooch, in numerous configurations. When it was dry you could use it as a ranger roll (folded in half with a poncho liner/blanket, then laid on the ground to act as a ground cloth/top sheet)

Because of my love for ponchos, I'm in the process of a DIY project where I'm making a poncho from the ground up with my typical uses in mind, adding a stove jack into it so it can also be used with a packable stove in a hooch configuration (stoves like the lite outdoors, ti goat, or Kifaru smith cylinder stove)

I'm a mountain hunter and typically hunt from a base camp, but like to be prepared to stay out wherever I may find myself when the sun comes down. Carrying everything you need to be comfy while scrambling around steep mountains chasing elk all day is just not a reality. So because if that I typically only carry the basic essentials for survival, as in: "the bare minimum to not die". Because of this a poncho set up for me is perfect. It's rain gear if I get caught in some foul weather, and a shelter if I need to stay out. I'm thinking with a stove jack and an ultralight stove it could be the "comfort factor" I've been missing.

Sorry for the novel I just wrote, just looking for opinions, ideas, anecdotes, etc

2. Ranger99

Ranger99 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    jmho- once you step into the realm of stoves, you might as well
    go ahead and get a miner's tent or small wall tent to utilize the
    heat properly and get the benefit of humping the weight of the
    stove, and being able to properly use it to cook, keeping it
    stoked, the extra weight and bulk of the pipe, spark arrestor, etc.
    i like the ability to roll up the poncho/liner into a small roll and
    being able to roll it out and use it as is for a quick bedroll/ shelter.
    past that there are other products better suited to the job

bacpacjac and Winterhorse like this.
  3. FlapjackE

Blog Posts:
    While I agree with that assessment generally, the Kifaru cylinder stove with pipe weighs in at 1 lb, 6.4 oz.

In a poncho hooch you definitely lose some heat retention and whatnot, but it would sure add a lot of comfort to a hooch in an unexpected night out. At a little over 1 lb, and the small package that stove folds up into, it's not much added weight

4. justinspicher

justinspicher Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My GoLite poncho is always with me on any of my outings. In this picture I'm using for an overnight trip during work. It rained for about four hours at night and I slept soundly and stayed nice and dry. IMG_1071.JPG

5. FlapjackE

Blog Posts:
    Looks like you work forest fires? Any job that had me in the woods would be a dream job.

But that would be a perfect example of why I'm a poncho advocate. You have to carry minimal gear because of what you are doing in the woods. Unlike someone going backpacking or "camping" or bushcrafting, where you're whole reason for being out there is to camp/set up camp. You're doing a physically demanding job that already requires you to carry other equipment, so carrying a whole comfy overnight setup is out of the question. This is where a poncho makes percent sense. You're already loaded down with gear that isn't generally helpful for overnight survival/comfort, so carrying a typical backpacking/bushcrafting load is not an option.

6. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I always carry my German Army poncho same as the USGI poncho only heavier at 2 lbs.2 oz. because of tough rubberized fabric and better grommets/tie straps. In warm months it doubles as a sun/rain tarp for an unplanned over night or rainy day camp and in cool season/winter can be used as a worn poncho emergency shelter with palmer furnace (candle lantern) under for an uncomfortable/sleepless but survivable day or overnight. It's also my canoeing and fishing raingear

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017 at 4:55 PM
  7. FlapjackE

Blog Posts:
    The particular setup I'm thinking about where an ultralight stove would be nice is where one corner of the poncho is tied to a tree about waist high. Then one side corner and the opposing end is staked out. This makes a sort of half teepee, diamond sort of shape where the tree acts to close the end opening. So then the opposing side corner is left unstaked for your door. It's my favorite setup and I think a stove could work in that. Especially if the poncho is a bit oversized.

Madwell, bacpacjac and Winterhorse like this.
  8. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    rsnurkle and bacpacjac like this.
  9. Todd1hd

Todd1hd Scout

Blog Posts:
    The only issue I have ever had using a poncho as all in one raingear and shelter is if you happen to pull into camp in a downpour you can't set your shelter up if you are wearing it and if you take it off to set it up as your shelter you get soaked. I use and like a poncho when I hike, bike, canoe, or backpack, but as raingear only and usually use a tarp for shelter.

Madwell, rsnurkle, gargoyle and 4 others like this.
  10. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    This is definitely an acquired skill... In the Army, I learned to do it using 4x18" bungi cords, one in each corner... you hook them up to bushes while still wearing it, first finding a stick about 3'-4' long to use as a "center pole" up inside the hood, with a C-ration can, MRE bag, or bandana over the end to prevent it tearing though. If no stick was available, your ruck would work well enough. When the rain let up, you'd tie the hood off properly and string it up to an overhead branch/bent-over sapling to create enough room underneath.

Madwell, rsnurkle, SoreFeet and 6 others like this.
  11. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I carry a silnylon poncho. 5x8 at 10oz.
    It does multiple tasks, packs, and carries well.

I do have a Kifaru Paratarp
    It packs only slightly bigger. Think 16oz can vs 12oz can.
    There is a bunch more room, sealed better against drafts, and weighing only a few (2-3) oz more. With that I do need to cut two branches for poles and carry pegs. I do not feel like cutting 12 or so stakes.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    Madwell, rsnurkle and Winterhorse like this.
  12. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a silnylon poncho, but I've never slept under it.
    I have used it as a rain shelter a couple of time, sitting under it to wait out a storm.
    I like a poncho for the air flow while wearing it, but I don't often walk trails, and it's thick around here. So I tend to get frustrated when it snags and tangles. But I would imagine a with a heavy rubberized poncho that would be less of an issue.

I don't know if it's a valid concern, but I would like to wear it in my canoe. But I don't if I'm paddling rapids or fast current. It just seems like it would be damn scary to end up swimming with one on. Although I suppose a baggy rain suit would be only slightly less scary.

So I guess I'm in the "ponchos are just ok" camp.
    Mine is handy to carry, but I don't really wanna have to use it. It's sort of better than a rain suit, not as nice a tarp. But the easy to carry part wins out in the end. I don't think I would be willing to carry a full blown rubberized version though. But I've never tried, so......
    And a planned overnight it's just to small, if a real rain occurs, and too damn many mosquitoes most of the summer.

13. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    I've had my USGI and my BCUSA ponchos out in some pretty thick brush, and they both shed brush pretty well without hanging up too badly, unless it's prickly stuff like greenbriar or raspberries.

14. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My BCUSA poncho is my woods raingear and my emergency raingear in my edc bag.

I haven't slept under it yet, I'm a hammock guy and I use a tarp for that. I do plan on using it for a few of my Bushclass outings.

Madwell and rsnurkle like this.
  15. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'll add that most people (including myself) are fair weather campers.
    With that being said a poncho is the way to go to reduce weight and bulk.

When fair weather camping you really do not need a shelter. If needed though a poncho can reduce bulk and weight. Making it lighter and you more apt to carry some sort of protection on clear days rather than dismissing it.

When clear weather camping most people only spend time in their shelter when sleeping.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 6:43 AM
  16. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    a poncho/tarp can greatly reduce weight/volume as a combo shelter/rain gear; if I know it's going to be crappy weather I choose a different shelter and different rain gear, but I've survived several nights of intermittent rain w/ the poncho/tarp- I almost always combine the poncho/tarp with a lightweight bivy

it's something that I would encourage anyone who gets one to familiarize yourself thoroughly with in the backyard in regards to pitching options

ponchotarp.jpg

Madwell, rsnurkle, Todd1hd and 7 others like this.
  17. justinspicher

justinspicher Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This one is big enough for four people to sleep under. It's built by Kammok and designed to go over a hammock. Worked pretty well, collapses and stuffs into a sack about the size of a peewee football. IMG_1072.JPG

18. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    How does that work as a poncho? do the sides fold up on themselves? and is the head hole on the far side where we can't see it?

19. akbound

akbound Guide

Blog Posts:
    Over 20+ years in Infantry I spent many hours at night with nothing more than a poncho sitting in holes, winter, spring, summer and fall, in all kinds of conditions. I became very familiar with them! :3: When there was time, and conditions warranted we could set-up camp and shelter half/poncho hooches would go up and sleeping gear would come out. But ponchos were nearly always carried and used as rain gear, shelters, and additional layering in cold weather if that was all that was at hand.

So I like, carry and still use a poncho for it's amazing versatility! :)

20. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Haven't tried a poncho as a primary option but I bet it could make a great option to my day-pack. Might even be a good option for light and fast overnight trips.

Madwell and Winterhorse like this.
  21. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I got use to using a poncho working on boats, especially during the winter and adverse weather conditions ,easy to store and to deploy and hide in as well .
    In Search and rescue it was a part of my gear I never left with out.
    Mine is an old WWII or later but tough as nails .
    Also have a few liners too, sill intact .

22. windowman100

windowman100 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I keep Gi poncho in my go bag. It's a good way to keep you and your gear dry. Haven't slept under it, but it would sure do a great job if that's all you had.

Madwell and Winterhorse like this.
  23. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just got a BCUSA poncho and it would work as a minimal shelter if need be. It'll go out with me for sure but I wouldn't want to have to use it as my primary shelter. Not that I don't think it would do an excellent job but it's just right on the edge of being too small for my comfort level. A slightly larger tarp, say 7X10 used with the poncho and a Woobie would be more my style.
    That being said, I will be experimenting with a few different pitches and some overnighters just to familiarize myself with its capabilities.
    This is a really interesting thread. I'll keep my eye on it.

Madwell and rsnurkle like this.
  24. justinspicher

justinspicher Tracker

Blog Posts:
    As a poncho it won't work, there's no hole for your head. Now that I re-read the post, it doesn't belong here.

25. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I usually carry a MEST in my day bag for temporary shelter from sun and unexpected rain storms, but if the weather look iffy for rain I'll swap out my MEST with a BCUSA poncho that I can use as a rain cover or a tarp, both a invaluable pieces of kit in my opinion.

Winterhorse likes this.
  26. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    I use a Gatewood Cape, which is more of a floorless mid tent that doubles as a rain poncho/cape. I actually EDC it (sans inner NetTent) 2/3rds of the year since it triples as a [vapor barrier] 'down vest.'

On a minimalist bike tour

27. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    ^ a buddy of mine used a Gatewood this year on the Bob Marshall Open- neat little shelter :)

reppans likes this.
  28. bosque bob

bosque bob Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Like others, I was introduced to the poncho in the military. Used one a lot then and still do. Maybe the most versatile bit of kit going when folks get creative. A good poncho combined with a favorite walking staff is a camp on the go if necessary.

Seeker likes this.