How Many Ways to Heat a Pup Tent?

Discussion in 'Winter Camping' started by Syntria, Feb 13, 2018.

1. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oh, I was talking about the shake type hand warmers. But I’m sure the one you mentioned can burn too.

Syntria likes this.
  2. hidden_lion

hidden_lion Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Buddy heater. Uses small propane tank and heats well. There are various sizes ones and with a pup tent, the smallest one would do perfect. CO2 really isn't likely to be an issue unless you are really sealed up tight. Besides, you really shouldn't and don't really need to keep it running while you sleep. You heat up before bed or while lounging and when you wake up to make getting out of the sleeping bag more palatable. This way your fuel lasts longer, and you don't accidentally burn down your tent and the forest when you roll around at night

Syntria likes this.
  3. Syntria

Syntria Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Do you guys think one of these would heat a pup tent given the size? Do candles also output CO2? (I would assume so). These put off about 5000BCU or about the equivalent of 6 hand warmers. You can SUPPOSEDLY boil water on top of them.

[​IMG]

4. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use the UCO mini tea light candle lantern in my French Army F1 pup tent, it uses the cheap tea light candles so no wax drip mess to contend with as regular candle lantern and stores 5 tea light candles inside when not in use. Will boil a tuna can of water sitting on to in 45-50 minutes and about same to bake bannock biscuit in tuna can.

Syntria, LarryB and Crowe like this.
  5. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just get one of these:

6. AK Trapper

AK Trapper Scout

Blog Posts:
    I really like to have a quality sleeping bag, I use a Wiggys sleeping bag. A good hot water bottle does wonders, if the feet are warm the rest of the body seems to do well.

7. Angus McGunnigl

Angus McGunnigl Guide

Blog Posts:
    Used similar in larger family tent. Very careful with it and it helped.

2-man....i would say a couple of those single mini uco’s would help. Be careful.

Syntria likes this.
  8. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Still going Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a three dog night.

Syntria likes this.
  9. TRYKER

TRYKER Guide

Blog Posts:
    heat up some rocks in the fire then fill up your cast iron dutch oven and bring that in, the rocks will heat the oven and keep the chill out for awhile anyway.

Syntria and ReallyBigMonkey1 like this.
  10. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    This is what I was referring to up thread. The beeswax candles are hotter than the basic candles.

I don't know about boiling water, Hur the top gets hot. It's not a heater, but it makes getting out of the warm bag easier

Syntria likes this.
  11. bgf

bgf Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a large primitive pup tent I sewed up out of good drop cloths, 8x9 w/ 54" ridgepole. I would try a little buddy heater in it if I was by myself, but my son is pretty much always with me when I use that one, and I don't think there's enough room to set up clearance for the heater with two people. You might get by with a little buddy or even portable buddy on the center post on the end where your head is, though.

If you could do it safely, the little buddy should make a pup tent toasty! It will heat my 12x12 by 10' peak nylon teepee to comfort levels (40's) when temps are in 20s.

12. geojag

geojag Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have used a Mr. Buddy heater at deer camp as long as I can remember. Catalytic heaters aren't supposed to produce CO2, and so fast I have survived. I always allow some ventilation in the tent.

They make an adhesive, heated patch for back pain, like a huge hot hands. These have worked very well for me combined with a decent sleeping bag.

Syntria likes this.
  13. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    Yep easiest, safest way, find some flat round rocks, heat then in fire (Around the fire not in it) add them to a small suitably sized metal bucket (Or dutch oven) and place in the tent. I've done something similar by taking the flat rock, wrapping in towel and placing in sleeping bag prior to bed time. Bag was toasty warm when I climbed in. If rock was still warm I simply kicked it down to the end of the bag to keep feet warm.
    Also you can pour little amounts of water on the hot rocks and create a steam bath!

gohammergo likes this.
  14. rbinhood

rbinhood Tracker

Blog Posts:
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/08/21/candles.air.pollution/

Not sure if the final word is in on burning candles in small spaces. Use at your own risk.

Also note that since my earlier post, several people keep recommending Buddy heaters. They are not catalytic, they are ceramic. They also do not contain a CO sensor, they have an inexpensive oxygen sensor, which will not protect you from CO. Not a good thing if you are by yourself and get overcome by fumes, with nobody to wake you up or drag you to fresh air.

A Buddy heater will also produce large amounts of water vapor, a byproduct of combustion. In a tent with coated walls, you will get large amounts of condensation, which can rain back down on you. Happens in my portable ice shanty even with the vents open and doors frequently open.

rsnurkle and Syntria like this.
  15. spotslayer

spotslayer Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Tea-Candle-and-Ceramic-Flower-Pot-Heater-Improved/

Syntria likes this.
  16. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I will second that now. I am looking at 2 in my bed right now.

Oni and Syntria like this.
  17. ReallyBigMonkey1

ReallyBigMonkey1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Someone else mentioned lining your tent with blankets for insulation . Line it with poncho liners for backpacking, line it with moving blankets for car camping. A pup tent is small enough that body heat can keep one warmed if insulated. Second benefit is when in an enclosed tent that fabric blanket will absorb the moisture from your breath avoiding condensation dripping on the tent walls

18. Galen blazer

Galen blazer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Any one tried sum sterno just to heat it up and try and hold it in

19. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Of course I live in Florida, but I've camped in the 20's here, sleeping bag only. Many years ago, two 16 year olds camped out and brought some charcoal in their tent to stay warm, they never woke up.

ReallyBigMonkey1 likes this.