How not to wash a trail cam ***UPDATED***Culprit found

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by dads2vette, Nov 8, 2018.

1. dads2vette

dads2vette Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I keep a Browning BTC-7FHD trail camera going all the time at my place. I have it pointing at the pond. Nine out 10 nights I get something, fox, skunks(one that is the size of a small panda), javelina and the occasional cougar.

Last few nights the fox and skunks have been very active. Get a couple different fox and one pair. Cool video of two, wait, three skunks coming to take a drink.

Well, seems someone must have gotten a little clumsy around the tripod I had the trail cam mounted. It was fine a 6am but between then and 7 someone decided to give it a bath and push it into the pond. I've got it all apart and drying out right now. I'm fairly certain it'll be just fine!!!

I'll let you know,
    dave

2. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    They don’t much like baths. Something to do with electronics and water. I had one mounted on a tree by the creek where feral hogs were crossing, about two feet up, and it rained. And rained. And rained. It was submerged by flood water for a couple days. I opened it up, muddy, silty brown water poured out. I chunked it in the trash, bought a new one.

Good luck with your salvage operation.

JohnP

Winterhorse, central joe and Lichen like this.
  3. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Those skunks can be real jokers, can't they?

4. zelph

zelph Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Had my camera mounted to a steel sign pole pointed at a fox den. Torrential down pours during the night raised water levels to flood stage and covered my camera completely. Poor thing....didn't work after that. Took it back to Walmart and got a replacement no problem.

5. HannahT

HannahT Firebug Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    If you get it dried out, and if you get any footage off it from when it fell in the water, I'd like to know what the culprit was :D

JohnP and central joe like this.
  6. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    I was able to view the card. A couple videos just prior to the "incident" were unreadable. I'm guessing from previous videos over the last couple days it was one of the foxes. If I would have had something to entice a raven, I'd bet the house on one of those. No cows around but that would have been my first guess if they had been around.

Guess what this is? Cow, after one knocked over a trail cam, was eating the mounting strap and took a selfie(shadow).

dave

7. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I think we need to see that, might be a good laugh!

Actually amazes me that these things aren't more waterproof. I mean yeah, they're not designed for under water, but they are designed to be outside 24/7 and unless you live in a desert that means water happens Often.

Just strange.

central joe and dads2vette like this.
  8. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    I have two stealth Cams that didn't hold up very well but, they've been outside non-stop for 2+ years. Neither one is taking night photos any more but that seems to have been one of their problems. The Browning has been used non-stop for a little more than a year without issue. Granted we don't get the constant moisture like most places but monsoons season?...I might as well hold them under a faucet for 5 or six minutes at a time for all that rain that falls during one of those storms.

The Browning had a gasket between the two body housing parts and silicone in all the screw holes. Being submerged...didn't have a chance.

dave

AK Adventurer and central joe like this.
  9. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    Update.
    Found the culprit! As you can clearly see in the picture it was a Sasquatch(looks like a female) who flipped the camera off and then pushed it into the pond with a cane/stick.

As for the trail cam...I dried it out thoroughly and gave it a try with two sets of fresh batteries. Keeps telling me batteries are low then shuts down and then starts up and says batteries are low. Keeps repeating this. I've tested the voltage at the battery tray 11.4v and inside 11.2v but after that I get lost. I have an email into Browning.

dave

sasquatch.jpg

central joe likes this.
  10. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have a StealthCam that has worked well for about a year, but if the batteries get low it stops taking nighttime video or pictures. New batteries and it’s good to go.

JohnP

central joe likes this.
  11. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    Both of mine stopped taking night photos. I had to "reset" them according to instructions on website. As I recall I had to leave it on custom settings then remove the batteries for a specified time period. That did the trick the first time...not this time.

dave

central joe likes this.
  12. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    That sasquatch is kinda cute, reckon she is single young fellar? joe

13. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    Hmmm, never thought about. Maybe that wasn't a cougar in heat I heard?

dave

central joe likes this.