How to live through a natural disaster and how not to the aftermath of Hurricane Michael

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Pinelogcreek, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    D4F82493-CB86-4BFF-A1AA-65D0AF55D3FB.jpeg
    I want to start by saying thank you to those who checked in and supported me and my family through hurricane Michael. Be it prayer, kind thoughts or dropping a note it is all appreciated. I want to recap where I have been and where we are going in the hopes that it might help someone else down the road. Prior to Michael we lived in on a beautiful street, in a very nice home and had a comfortable lifestyle. Since the storm we live in a camper in my parents yard on a street that looks like hell. Above is a pre storm photo from my drone. Below is a after photo.

8086860B-34FC-4D5F-90C7-8F292BE920E1.jpeg
    Before the storm we were very well prepared for a hurricane, or so we believed. My career in public safety means I cannot leave before, during or after a storm so I knew I would stay. I also knew I would not ever want my family to stay through a category four or five storm. This storm evolved so quickly in strength our decision to have them stay turned out to be a bad one.

2. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    2192717B-C994-493E-A412-DB43651DECE2.jpeg Preparations

We lived in a all brick home that we built in 2002, having watched the construction I was confident it would withstand most storms.
    After the housing boom I doubled the amount my home was insured for.
    We live by family members with great neighbors.
    We had food, water, ice, generators, fuel, batteries and other supplies stocked deep.
    We had supplies to fix up after the storm.
    I retrieved a window ac from my camp house.

In the days before the storm we added to the above as much as possible.
    I put up steel storm shutter on all my windows.
    I turned the refrigerator and freezer way down and made sure they were full so they would keep longer without power.
    We washed all our clothes and other items.
    We filled our tubs with water and sealed the drains with gorilla tape.
    We filled every available container with water and set them on the counter.
    We cleaned everything out of the yard that would blow around.
    We filled our vehicles up and parked them close to the house, including blocking the garage door against wind.
    I took the tractor from the barn and parked it against the leeward side of the house.
    We staged lanterns around the house and charged usb power banks.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  3. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    Lastly I had my son photograph all of the property and house inside and out. Although this can be valuable for insurance it has been more valuable in preserving memories. Although I was working midnights in preparation for the storm and after (read not sleeping) I took one last dip in the pool with my son the night before the storm came it.

BBDE1A2F-4187-4F60-9C78-2499A3271D26.jpeg

4. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    932055F1-FAE0-4571-90B6-314411EADADC.jpeg As the night of October 9th turned into October 10th it became apparent that Hurricane Michael would make landfall as a category five storm, the worst for those non hurricane folks. Some may say it was a four but the sustained winds reached 172mph locally at a government recording location before the equipment failed. I left work, about 7am, saying goodbye to coworkers and hoping to see them again. At home I checked on my parents and in-laws who live on the same property and made final arrangements for the storm. We watched the weather, enjoyed air conditioning and waited. As the storm came closer it was apparent we would see some of the worst weather in my location and I admit being quite concerned. In the beginning it was not so bad.......

2D653D8B-6221-4D05-9723-C73C5462DC5E.jpeg

5. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    But of course it got much much worse. I will explain and post pictures. Trees began to shear off and big hunks of shingles began ripping off the house.
    73244723-AC96-4400-9200-45CBE2BE538E.jpeg

Then of course power went out, cell phones quit and even the radio went quiet. I noticed the dogs growling at the back door and as I approached the wind sucked it open. (Double outswing French doors). For the next two hours the wind pulled me out and I pulled myself and the door back in. The roof began to hop up and down above my bedroom and I screamed to my wife and son to put on lace up shoes and tie them tightly like I had done in preparation to flee if the house came apart further. As the storm shifted the door quit and a new problem arose.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  6. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    Rain began to come out of the ceiling fans and light fixtures in various rooms. Fortunately our preparations included a roll of visqueen plastic that I nearly passed over due to the cost. We were able to cover all our furniture and lost none of it from the storm. Likewise we stuffed our clothes and other soft goods into lawn and garden trash bags. Pictures, computer exact were already in my gun safe so I had no worries there. As the storm dropped down to about 50 mph I ran first to my in-laws and then to my parents house. At my parents I found this
    6AF7FEC1-1ABE-44D3-8378-67F46D560E81.jpeg
    2D9C84E1-13DF-40D9-866D-7CA9778446AD.jpeg

AC12912B-A20D-4260-9306-EDA927734DD0.jpeg

By the Grace of God they survived laying in a hallway as it came apart.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  7. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    That evening a neighbor, who owns a tress service began clearing 3/4 mile of road the was impassable even on foot. I have been in many high stress situations and have been close to death but never experienced what I did that night. My wife and son went to my in-laws house next door as it was in the best shape, I have no idea where my parents went and I laid down on my sons mattress I dragged into the living room. I blacked out and had no idea what happened after the storm passed until the next morning , weeks later I had the courage to ask my wife and she did not know either. We could not even recall where we slept. My son however was able to fill in those blanks for us. As a side note I had a deep cycle battery and an adapter for my Cpap machine that I was about to use. I used it in the daytime and my father-in-law used it at night while I worked.
    5FB82E50-F4AF-45FA-AAB9-5C4D7DA9D620.jpeg

This is where my tractor was before the storm, my parents were mad I moved it before but very happy after. My brother tried to be helpful and put my boat here instead of a field where I left it. So much for the boat, usually rain water keeps it from moving around at it’s fine in a storm.

8. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    October 11 dawned and I took stock of what we had and what I believed would happen next. My wife and I agreed that she, my son, mom and all five of our combined dogs would relocate to a relatives house out of state the next morning. A neighbor with a high wheeled loader came up and he and I worked to clear the rest of the roadway. He is in his late 80s and had lost everything in the storm, beaten, bloody and bruised he was working hard. I got my family into my patrol car and took off for our station to check on my friends. I will leave out the emotions of finding people alive that all thought the other were dead but sufice it to say it was a wonderful time.

7D382FB5-4DC3-4D41-A346-50CD7119003B.jpeg

9. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    I am still without internet at home, so I have to plan these posts out but I will cover some of the following in later posts. If you have other questions post up and I’ll answer when I can.

Living in austere conditions
    Manual labor
    Tools and equipment
    Dealing with insurance
    Losing your house
    Camper living
    Mental issues
    Blessings
    Financial decisions
    Government assistance or lack thereof
    Long term prognosis

10. Sawdustdave

Sawdustdave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oh, my ...! Prayers are with you all as you recover. Here, folks freak out over a few inches of snow, or icy roads - and we get that each year. But NOTHING like what you faced and will continue to face!

11. Lazarusaurus

Lazarusaurus Idot Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Geeze man. Glad you are ok. Sorry about the major mess. Can relate a little bit. Just went through the Camp Fire in northern California. Lost everything. 90% of Paradise is gone, as well as maybe half of Magalia where I lived. Still kinda reeling from it. Just glad to be alive.

12. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    All I can say is WOW. Glad you’re still here with us.

13. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wow! What an ordeal. I'm glad you came through in one piece. It sucks to lose stuff, especially things with sentimental value and things you've worked hard all your life for. But it pales in comparison to losing your life. I'll be watching this thread to see what recovery is like from a hurricane.

14. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    Living in austere conditions,

First I will say that with my wife and son safe and in another place living was much simpler. There was no power, phone, internet ect. Before she left we cleaned out the fridge and freezer and left them off as I was not there to tend a generator and did not need them anyway. No stores, no mail, no UPS no nothing.

My work schedule was roughly 4pm to 8am after work I would work at home till 1pm-2pm then lay down for some sleep before work. Yes 110 hours was a normal work week. For the first few days I bathed in my pool but then it got a little nasty after that I spray painted a bucket black and filled it with water each morning and left it in the sun. Each night I had a hot shower with my bucket. Food consisted of whatever jerky, crackers and mess I could scrounge at work along with one hot meal a night there. I lost 35lbs in three weeks. It’s not that I could not find food it just wasn’t appealing or important to me. I used a bucket to fill the toilet with water from the tub so that I could flush. I used two five gallon buckets to wash clothes. The dirty one had soap and the clean one was for rinse. For the agitator I used a new toilet plunger. Clothes were worn three days then washed, underwear were fresh daily. I had anticipated that sleeping in a hot house without ac would be terrible, truth is that I never really cared because I was so tired. Didn’t I have a window unit? Yes but I gave it to my in-laws who needed it more than I did. I am still cooking on my three burner Coleman stove and I love that thing. My observations at work were tough but I will outline what you should know. EMS did not operate for days, neither did fire, hospitals closed people died and no one picked up the bodies for days. I’m not trying to scare people just to encourage people to listen to the warnings and go when it’s time. These are personal observations not stories I heard. When there were medical services they were for those who were dying right then nothing else. No oxygen or medication were available and many people needed them and failed to plan accordingly. The Federal Government did establish a field hospital which meant the dying were stabilized and flown out via helicopter day and night. I can say that you need to be prepared to be on your own for a week not three days. Transportation also ground to a halt, what was normally a 15minute trip would take two hours or more because of road obstruction and traffic.

9853FD51-0D9B-4A01-8FE7-6B2DB7C30E7A.jpeg

15. Harper

Harper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thank God that all your family lived through it.

16. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    Godspeed your recovery.......

17. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    Truth is I am surprised, I certainly believed we would die that day. I have always accepted my own mortality based on my career field. I am at peace with my Savior and not afraid to die. The problem for me was and still is, that I never considered that my family might die with me or around me. This was and is still something I’m trying to work through. The moment you realize your decisions put them in that place is really humbling to say the least.

18. Midwest.Bushlore

Blog Posts:
    Is your home fairly intact and repairable?

19. Lazarusaurus

Blog Posts:
    Somehow I feel like Mike Tyson's wisdom applies a bit to large-scale disasters as well:

tyson.jpg

20. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    No, I’ll cover this later but my home has been demolished.

21. Midwest.Bushlore

Blog Posts:
  22. Lazarusaurus

Blog Posts:
    Sorry. Mine is just waiting for the bulldozers, along with 14,000 other houses.
    20181214_111135.jpg

23. scottmm2012

scottmm2012 1 Peter 1:20 Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    What a story. Sometimes the public forgets about the aftermath of these natural disasters thanks to the media moving on to the next "big story". Prayers for you, your family, and your neighbors as they begin to recover and put the pieces back together.

24. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    Tools and manual labor

The following are tools that I used and what I learned from them. After the storm, I began the process of cleaning up for recovery. Clearing fallen trees continues to be a full time work and I see no end to it. I began with a well loved Stihl 038. The saw runs great but is a little lacking in power. I cut the tree off my house and insurance paid me 1100. I wasted no time heading to the stihl dealer only to find they had saws but could not sell them even for cash because of the damage they sustained. One week later I bought a new ms271 because it was the best saw they had in stock, I got two chains and some bar oil. Since that time I have probably put in 40 hours run time and I am very happy. The other tools I have used are a Phillips and common screwdriver pair, a set of pliers, a leatherman and a multimeter. Understanding basic plumbing and electrical have made our lives much easier. After about three weeks power began being restored. I was able to cut up a telephone pole and make up a temp electrical pole to get power back for my parents house. I have since wired I the pump, washer, dryer and some lights. Not bad for a house with half a roof and no electric system. This lets us wash clothes and shower in a house with not ceilings or walls although the roof has been replaced.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  25. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have only sympathy and respect for you folks who have suffered through these disasters. In Houston I have been through 3 hurricanes (Alecia, Ike, Harvey) but have been blessed to have suffered very little damage, just inconvenience. As poet Robert Burns wrote “The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray”. Yup.

26. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    We own a the family homestead that is away from our house and I maintain it to the best of my ability. We had two 40+ year old tractors before the storm and neither had a front loader. I planned to buy a new tractor at retirement in a few years but the need for one now was overwhelming. Thanks to John Deere zero interest financing I have a new 3039r with a grapple on the front. For those unfamiliar a grapple allows you to grab and hold things to move them. With this tool I have been able to move thirty or so fully grown trees to the roadside where the county pays someone to collect them. I estimate I am one third of the way finished and I have 50 hours on the machine. The fact is that you can’t hire someone to do this work and if you could you can’t afford it. Behind the tractor is where my house was.

AEE038BF-D53A-401A-8048-667821A0561D.jpeg

27. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Damn. Can't imagine going through such devastation. All I can say is that I am SOOOO glad my sister and her hubby were here in Ohio and not in Mexico Beach, FL when Michael hit. Their place is across the street from the beach.

Likes on your post were NOT liking the pics and destruction; they were to show support. If there is anything you or anyone else here needs do not be shy about putting the requests out here.

28. Soilman

Soilman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thank God you and your family made it out the other side of the storm. The storm is bad enough, but then you must face the aftermath, which last MUCH longer. I'm in a hurricane zone also, and we just suffered through Hurricane Florence, so I can empathize with you somewhat. Where you had mainly wind damage, we had massive flooding here. We were very fortunate that the only damage we sustained at my home was a big hickory tree that fell in the yard, but many homes in the area were flooded out. I can handle almost any weather condition except one...which is the high winds you endured. High winds make me more anxious that anything else. Prayers going out to you and your family. Stay strong, and be safe.

29. pellegrino

pellegrino Much to learn... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I would also like to echo this.

30. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    What more could you have done to save your place? Huge straps laid across the roof anchored into the ground? Wow, shocked. Out here in CA. (Central coast) he don't have hurricanes. If we did, I'd say 98% of the structure's out here wouldn't be here. Certainly my 1960's cabin could not survive a storm such as the one you displayed. Our only immediate concern is having a few 150'+ tall Douglas Fir's get blown over onto, and fall through my house.

31. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    This is very generous, I will say that financially I was very well prepared and I will touch on that in a later post.

32. bosque bob

bosque bob Guide

Blog Posts:
    You're still here. That's good.

33. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    Losing your house and dealing with insurance. As housing boomed in Florida the value of my house went from 120k in 2002 to around 200k in 2010 or so. I increased my insured value after hearing stories of others not being able to rebuild after losing their home.

In my case it started with loose grout in our home office. After removing the tile above it I found the foundation was cracked.

C19872B4-C923-4DC8-ACA9-2664956D775E.jpeg

Insurance had already said the would fit the entire house replacing ceiling, walls and flooring. They did not want to follow up on the crack. I hired a structural engineer to evaluate the home and he pointed out many more issues that I missed and so did my adjuster.

8145EA9B-C97B-421E-ABF5-FE88BBDA855D.jpeg

The brick walls were cracked both vertically and horizontally through brick and mortar. The foundation crack ran from front to back through the whole house. The windows, which were behind the shutters were pulling away from the house. I later found cracks running through two other places in the foundation and the front garage wall was set out 1/4 inch.

Armed with this information I return my insurance company. They choose to send out their own engineer and paid me for the one I hired. Two weeks later he met with the adjuster who relayed that the company would pay me the total insured value of the house not because it could not be fixed but because the cost well exceeded the insured amount. A few weeks later the house was demolished along with the barn behind it, costing about 15k. This process lasted from October 11th when I filed a claim until the week before Christmas. There was not anything that would have saved the house and stabilizing the foundation would have cost around 80k before repair started.

F5A777F8-414F-4A49-B46F-AC5686A59C3B.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  34. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Praying for you brother ,

35. Tom Eickenberg

Tom Eickenberg Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wow, so happy you and your family made it out alive.
    Tom

36. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    I built my house on family property having sold the mobile home I lived in in the same spot. My grandfather watched every day of construction done by my wife’s uncle. I intended to live there forever. Losing my home was very difficult but watching it be torn down was even worse. Prior to demolition I sold everything I could from inside and I mean everything right down to the doors and trim. What I could not sell I gave away. Each time someone took something I wanted to scream stop, put that back l, I need that in my house. I stood in the road crying when it was finally torn down. “The Lord gave and the Lord took away, Blessed be the name of the Lord.” John 1:21

372EA095-CCEA-45B7-BA24-8C9DBD448578.jpeg

37. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    Before the house was gone it was evident that I needed somewhere to sleep so that my family could come back home. I posted before that I missed my wife’s birthday for the first time in twenty years and I missed my son terribly. There were and still are not any available rentals and many who got them are now being evicted so that the owners can sell them. I chose to buy a camper to live in since both my parents and in-laws homes were damaged also. I bought a 37’ camper from a dealer in Tampa and had it delivered.

3008BBEA-AD02-4E7C-B490-0BBF3531D986.jpeg
    Next to it you see the conex box that hold our remaining possession. I course a camper with a front closet and no bunks opting instead to remove the dining table and build my son a bed there. It is raised giving him a place to put things in tubs underneath.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  38. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    The cargo trailer is a little slice of heaven for us. It is 8.5x24 and I put in a washer, dryer, sink, refrigerator and 16’ of countertop to use as a kitchen and workshop. I use a convection oven, Coleman stove and microwave for most cooking. The instant pot also does a lot of cooking work. Knowing how to wire and plumb the trailer allowed us to have this great convenience. On the opposite side of the counter I used galvanized pipe to build a 10’ hanging clothes rack.

39. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    What I used most

My yeti cooler with ice lasted 8 days.
    My Coleman extreme lasted about 5.
    I never used an axe for anything.
    I used a common, Phillips screwdriver and a pair or pliers were the most frequently used tools.
    Five gallon buckets are invaluable.
    I never used a candle.
    Battery powered led lanterns are great.
    USB power banks are awesome also.
    I never used my power inverter
    I used a Honda EU2000 converted to propane as my sole generator. In the first week I used 15 gallons of fuel to keep my sons saltwater fish tank running. Yes we still have the fish living in our camper.
    An extra deep cycle battery and 12v adapters was great to have.
    After power returned I used two sections of chain link fence top rail to put up a nightlight to keep things safe.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  40. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    Looters

Did exist the problem was worse in town but present in my neighborhood.

The first one I caught was a 20 year old guy on a young girls bike that rode up to my parents house while they were gone. His life was spared by a deputy who arrived as I was approaching him.

Others would pass by too many times and I stopped several who were invited never to return.

After time every neighbor would come out armed when a strange vehicle stopped.

Placing debris, especially aluminum by the road invites the scrappers to stop. I would avoid this if you can.

A weapon with a flashlight mounted is a valuable tool.

41. Punisher

Punisher Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thank God you and your family are ok. ive been there brother its tough but you'll get through and on the other side is goodness. in the great state of Oklahoma tornadoes are part of life and why i began prepping. Dads house hit twice(destroyed second time) grandparents farm wiped off the map. my house hit once. first thing i do when buying a new home is in-ground shelter. all these things can be replaced. stay alive stay prepared. it can happen anywhere anytime.

42. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Amazing and shocking to hear beyond the headlines. When you get time, I would appreciate your comments on Listening To Katrina. It's very long, stories and suggestions from a guy who ran from Katrina. Likewise, anyone else that has been through this, please comment on the advice there. I don't live in hurricane territory, but there are several concepts there, that are now important to me.

43. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    Most people won’t discuss their financial situation but I think it is a very important part of disaster survival and recovery. My wife and I have combined income around 150k. We invest in retirement. I invested 3k in metal storm shutters years ago in exchange for a 600 dollar annual insurance discount. We have excellent credit and owed about 80k on our home. We had insurance that met the value of the house in the current market, about 250k although we paid less than half that. We had two car payments and utilities. After the storm we were able to leverage credit to get supplies we needed easily. I would say that we spent about 3k in expendable in three months. I stopped my extra investment allowing me to cover my camper payment even if insurance never helped. Post storm her car electronics were fried, I was able to trade it in, lower my payment and get zero interest on the new one. My truck although heavily damaged is being repaired. My boat is toast, no insurance no replacement. I had cash that funded my box trailer purchase. The house situation is like this. I paid off my mortgage and other expenses leaving me 140k to put down on a new home. New construction will cost me 300k for a comparable home now. Net loss 160k in one day. FEMA does not assist those with insurance, period. I was offered a 4K sba loan in exchange for my 250k insurance check. Yes you read that right. For those without insurance their maximum assistance is 39k. So you can see that I lost between 160k and 200k in one day altering my retirement plan and the rest of my life. Prior to the storm I intended to complete the DROP and retire in eight years owning my home and vehicles outright. Now I will certainly have a substantial mortgage again. Below is the new house design.

F9678C3D-56B3-44F8-AA39-91E05CADF0DC.jpeg

9EC5726E-9B97-4C2F-B3AB-870DD0D5FBC2.jpeg

44. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    Getting stuff

Procurement is still a problem, you still can’t tow a trailer into Home Depot or Lowe’s parking lots they are so full. Many grocery stores remain closed, most places have reduced hours and selection. This is more than 100 days post storm. Immediately after the storm everything was closed for weeks and I mean everything from Walmart to Winn-Dixie. There was no mail, UPS, or Fedex. After about three weeks amazon deliveries started coming through and that became a steady supply line. Our mailman hated it but stuff came, UPS came back next followed by Fedex much later. A funny thing is that Walmart and other big stores only took credit after the storm while all the local places only took cash because they had no internet for credit machines. Many are still cash only. Having both on hand is truly necessary. Fuel was never an issue for me because my brothers work took him out of town daily where he bought fuel and brought it back. He also bought groceries and brought them back.

Communications

Immediately after the storm no communications worked, period. Verizon failed completely and they still are not back. I was in Walmart, who let first responders in, when a gentleman with the Cajun Navy gave me a burner phone that worked on the at&t network. This was a tremendous gift as I could now contact my family. Tmobile also came back up to work although their service was sporadic before the storm. My recommendation is to buy a burner phone that works on a network different than your primary service so that you hedge your bets something will work. Since the phone is still a radio height is your friend, from the top of buildings or bridges signal was always a little stronger and that often made the difference in making a call. Also give up on data like,websites it simply did not work. Ham radio never did work for me in this event and of course landline phones still don’t exist for the most part.

45. CPRPE

CPRPE Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Your post event information/assessment is truly appreciated. Great lessons learned and passed on to us. How is the general mood of the population at this point? I am glad that all of your loved ones are ok. I can't begin to imagine all of the stress you are going through just to put the pieces back together. It's sad how the media loves the pre-event hype and the issues during and immediately after the storm. But two weeks out? On to the next story. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

46. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    Surprisingly people are still in a decent mood, there is a little more rudeness but it’s had to tell if it’s locals or the people here preying on the victims. There is a hoard of out of town people here, some excellent people I’m sure, but so many taking advantage of desperate people and changing insane prices for shoddy work. Other cities are even sending their homeless here claiming there is “work” this is causing problems and very wrong morally. Local people I think are just resigned to the fact that nothing will be right for years.

47. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    My recommendations

Prepare yourself financially
    Keep a week of dry good food on hand always
    If you have advanced warning buy food you like not ten days canned tuna
    Buy bags of fruit like apples and oranges they are so wonderful to have a week into a disaster
    If you if you have medical appliances like CPAP get one that will run strait off 12v and have the right adapters on hand
    Buy repair supplies ahead of the event or keep them on hand
    Keep water on hand at all times
    Keep some soda, Gatorade for even better juice boxes on hand drink one a day, water gets old
    Have a Coleman stove and propane on hand
    Convert your generator to propane
    Have alternate communications methods
    Keeps some 5 gallon buckets around
    Be prepared to deal with undersireable people, and no you can’t shoot them all or even point guns at them. Understand the law very carefully when it comes to firearms.
    Have a quality chainsaw, extra bars, chains, oil and gas mix. Know how to use them safely and don’t push your limits. A long time law enforcement officer here died when a tree fell on him, so did a firefighter in a different incident.
    Have filters, oil, spark plugs and carb kits for your generator and chainsaw.
    Have tire plugs and a 12v compressor, today 100+ days later I had four flat tires.
    Keep at least two weeks spare medications on hand. To do this I refil five days early and set aside the five extra pills for a few months.
    If you have oxygen dependence or relatives that are dependent then leave town ahead of time or have a double redundancy in creating your own. Your best off to leave.
    Get your kids involved in the recovery to keep their minds busy and help them sleep at night. Even though school may be out make them read and do practice work.
    Make yourself eat, it’s harder then you think.
    Live like a farmer wake early and sleep early.
    Look around there is still beauty somewhere like this unedited sunrise.

F4AFC673-C560-49FE-ACE6-E9FBEB829C78.jpeg

rustystove2017, fx77, WFR and 26 others like this.
  48. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    I had actually read those in the past, I think his experiences are easy to happen to most people and that many of his points are valid. I wish that leaving had been an option for me and that even tjough I had to stay my family had gone. I also worked with people who relocated after the storm and learned from them as well. Post Katrina my area wound up with a large crime spike and some really rough folks moved here from the effected areas.

49. blind & lost

blind & lost LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    So sad to hear your story, but thankful for family safety. Having direct hits from Charlie and Irma in the past 15 years, and being a native Floridian, I have still learned much from you. Thank you for that. I am 50 miles inland from the gulf which is generally a blessing. How far are you from the gulf? In your case I guess it didn't matter other than storm surge. Five gallon buckets are fantastic, so is clothesline and clothes pins. After Charlie we had lots of rain for days afterward, after dark we stripped down to underwear, lathered up in the yard in the rain...instant shower! My best to you and yours in your recovery, prayers.

50. Pinelogcreek

Blog Posts:
    How not to live

Don’t stay home with elderly, disabled or otherwise medically dependent people if you can evacuate.
    Don’t ignore health problems
    Keep up with your dental, ask me how I know how hard it is to get a broken tooth fixed in a disaster zone.
    Don’t stay in a place where trees can fall on your house.
    Have a tent at a minimum so you’ll have shelter
    Don’t wait till the end to prepare
    With a half empty gas tank
    With tons of camping food you don’t normally eat
    Without bug spray
    Without insurance, many many people did not have it and the little money fema provided won’t take them far
    Without knowing how to fix things yourself
    Without plenty of clean socks and underwear
    More to follow