Howland Maine???

Discussion in 'Maine' started by Pathfinder, May 21, 2017.

1. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Scout

Hello Mainers.. I am looking at a property for sale in Howland Maine. I currently live in Pennsylvania, but am looking to get to a bit more of a remote area to try my hand at small scale homesteading/ subsistence living. I have a pretty nice nest egg and would be starting debt free. I also have marketable skills as a mobile welder( I own my own rig). I just have some questions about the area. The property is in the penobscot area. Just wondering about the school system, the local economy, the fishing and hunting opportunities near by, building codes and the relative freedom of living. Any insight into this area would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

2. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Not sure . I'm in Old Town

3. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17- Supporter Bushclass I

It's the dream man! I look forward to seeing the info on it, I hope to talk the wife into it someday:D.

4. bumma

bumma I'm not lost. Just a bit confused. Supporter

I wish I could help. The only thing I know about Howland is I drive by it
    while on the highway.

I guess it's time for a ROAD TRIP!!
    Come on up and visit the place.

5. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Scout

Road trip sounds like fun.

CivilizationDropout likes this.
  6. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

I don't live in the Howland area but you picked a great area for the woodsy rural lifestyle. Close to I-95 and just up the road apiece from Bangor shopping, entertainment, medical ect.. In the middle of vast fishing/hunting and other outdoor pursuits, with plenty of elbow room. Numerous logging type operations in the area could potentially keep your mobile welding unit busy with on site skidder, limber/feller and other mechanical repairs.

7. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Scout

Thanks for the great info. I still cannot get over the land prices. Being from Pennsylvania it is unfathomable to see those prices

8. Togus

Togus Echo of the Loon Supporter

I live in Maine. I can't speak of the school systems, but the area is "small town" as most towns here in Maine are.
    Because of the vastness of Maine people here have to drive some distance to get to anything. Howland is between Millinocket and Bangor, but in reality that's about an 80 mile range.
    Howland itself doesn't offer much in the way of economy and residents likely travel to work elsewhere. Mainers are typically self-sufficient, stoic, and as a rule don't like to rely on others.
    Not sure whether mobile welding would be a success by itself, but perhaps if you also had a shop for custom fabrication as well.
    Logging is big in the region, and they're always welding on the job at the site, but generally they do their own work and maintenance.
    With respect to building codes it varies from town to town and municipalities. Meaning Dover-Foxcroft has strict building codes and requirements while Milo may not. Nothing is universal or same across the board here in Maine.
    Hunting and fishing is great though. You'll have easy access to Penobscot and Pisquatiquis rivers as well as an infinite numeber of lakes and streams to fish. The rules from IF&W are confusing and convoluted. Some waters are fly fishing only, others are not. Size and bag limits in one area, but not another. So, you need to know the rules for the specific water you're on. Hunting is dependent on what you're hunting. Moose hunting sucks mainly because their numbers are declining because of winter tics, thus less permits get issued each year. Deer populations are variable. Down east and southern Maine has great deer hunting. In Maine land owner permission is needed to hunt on privately owned land. Again, lots of rules to get familiar with. Bird hunting; grouse, duck, geese, and turkey is plentiful.
    Freedom of living is a relative term. If your property is large enough, and your neighbors mind their own business you could conceivably do what you want without any outside interference. Maine is a very tax heavy state, so expect to pay a lot of tax; property tax, income tax, sales tax, and my personal favorite, excise tax. Vehicle inspections are mandatory, costs $12, and unless your truck is brand new will never pass (mostly joking).
    But, at the end of the day Maine has it all; Mountains, beaches, forests, ocean, and more coast line than any other state on the Atlantic. If you enjoy four season living and recreating, then Maine is the place.

9. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Scout

Hmmm taxes. Not a shock. I'm from a commonwealth. Pa is taxed all the way. Maine would more than likely be a tax decrease. The property I am looking at has 58 dollers a year property tax. My property in Pennsylvania is well over 3000. We pay 70 a year to inspect our vehicles and over 180 to register. A majority of my income can be worked from home sound steel detail work on my computer but a fabrication shop is more my speed. Not undoable. Thanks for the great info.

10. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Supporter Supporter

I live in Bangor, Maine and I love the state. If you plan to move anywhere, spend a week or 2 before you commit. Lots cheaper than moving and THEN finding out you don't like the area.

11. Bannertail

Bannertail Scout

My family & I did the same thing in the early '80's. Moving from the Catskill Mountains of New York to the Lincoln area.
    Do you have kids in grade/high school?

12. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Scout

I have elementary and middle school aged kids. That's my issue. I am a single dad and feel like all I do is work. I want to build a life where I can spend time being with them.

13. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Scout

Ill have to keep that in mind. Thanks for the info. Are you saying that pa is more rural than Howland? There are some very rural areas of pa but unfortunately unless you inherited land the prices are to high to be conducive to a subsistence lifestyle. Not to mention being regulated to the max.

14. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Scout

I'm not necessarily trying to avoid rules. I guess more or less I am trying to avoid excessive building codes

15. TRYKER

TRYKER Guide

i'm lookin to move to the Parkman area in the next couple years.

16. Togus

My stepfather used to live in Parkman. Very unremarkable except for the fact there's nothing but a few homes, one store, and lots of wilderness. The surrounding towns of Cambridge and Wellington are much the same.

17. Togus

I have not lived anywhere other than Maine, but a common theme I hear from those who have moved here is how much of nothing there is between towns. I'm accustomed to it and like the fact that urban sprawl is not more prevelant here.
    If you want seclusion, self-sufficiency, and the great outdoors, then Maine is your place.

18. Maple Trail

Maple Trail Tracker

I had my choice of being set up in several States when I got out of the military. I passed and came back home to Maine to raise my children.

(Welding, mechanics, carpentry, are all very common skills in rural Maine. Starting a mobile welding business may be tough.)

19. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Scout

Thank you all for the great insight into your wonderful state. I would like to keep this thread alive as I am trying to gather as much information as I can. I am planning a trip early next year to get up there and look at a few properties and take in the area. I want to come in winter for a reason. I am curious just how much different the winters are from a Pennsylvania Appalachian winter. Seems to me degree wise its a great deal colder. I also want to check it out in the summer before making a decision. I hear the bugs are quite pesky. I have been a student of Eliot Coleman's Four Season Harvest for quite a few years, but I would like to hear some more opinions on the growing season and soils makeup. Do you guys have a hard time growing food? I hear potatoes do very well. Thanks again.

Tom Eickenberg likes this.
  20. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Maine winters are no where as harsh as most think especially compared to 50 years ago, when I was a kid we would be ice skating/skiing during Thanksgiving vacation and now days we have to wait till after Xmas. Growing food is no problem as Maine is one of the leading states in the subsistence farming movement not to mention the several thriving Amish farming communities with more of them relocating here from Mn., Pa., Oh. and Canada every year, like you say land prices here are a bargain relative to the rest of the country. Aroostook County (the largest) is tater country, the largest producers of potatoes East of the Mississippi River with Idaho as the only major competition. Yes black flies and no seeums can be a nuisance in the deep woods when the air is still but any slight breeze will disperse them same with mosquitos, fortunately still air days/nights aren't that frequent up here and a little Skin So Soft on the neck wrist and ankles repels them anyway.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  21. TJC44

TJC44 Tracker

My parents were raised in Lincoln, just up the road from Howland. I hope to get back up there someday. Beautiful area. Are you looking at raw land or a finished house? (I would guess a house with 2 kids, but one never knows). If you get a chance to get up there, Lincoln has an annual "Homecoming" get together every year, usually the 3rd week in July. It may give you a taste for the area.
    http://www.welcometolincolnmaine.com/index.php/fun/homecoming-2017

Tom Eickenberg and Pathfinder like this.
  22. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Scout

Thank you. I am looking at a camp with 20 acres. Small cabin to live in while I build a more substantial dwelling.

23. TJC44

TJC44 Tracker

Just FYI. Most camps are not insulated, and may or may not have wells, septic, heating system. Low cost may be appealing, but if your family is unhappy, you will be too.
    Good luck with the build. Post pics and keep us updated.
    TJC

Tom Eickenberg and Pathfinder like this.
  24. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Scout

I am financially prepared to add a well and septic. As far as heating systems, not a fan. I have a wood cook stove and a Kodiak wood stove. Plan on not tying into the power grid either. I have my welding rig to power the battery banks in case the solar system can't keep up on a few cloudy days. I am looking for seclusion but close enough that in case of emergency I can get kids to the hospital.

25. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Scout

I would be going to alaska if it was up to me, but not sure how the kids would react to really being in the bush. I figure Maine is a better fit. Plus I can be home on the holidays in a half a day.