HPG Umlindi vs LL Bean Continental Rucksack

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags & Pouches' started by Kona9, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I own an LL Bean Continental Rucksack in the latest version. It is a great pack and very comfortable. That being said, I have a thing for packs and I have been eyeing the HPG Umlindi. I own their Tara pack so I know the quality and comfort of the yoke harness. I like how the Tara forces me to pack light and small, but for cooler weather day hikes I like a bigger pack like the Bean Rucksack. Anyone here own both and could take some side by side pics of he two? While I like the Umlindi, I’m wondering if the Rucksack is actually larger. I know they make the Ute as well for something even larger. Just curious to hear some thoughts from others who own or have owned both. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    blind & lost and geologist2 like this.
  2. geologist2

geologist2 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have the llbean pack and love it.
    I don't have the umlindi but I do have a ute. Much much larger pack.
    However I am looking into their new Aston House backcountry pack. Still looking for the perfect medium size pack.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    mjh, M.Hatfield and blind & lost like this.
  3. Dhusman

Dhusman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hopefully I can help, I own bothe. I bought an umlindi because I had several other of their product and was not disappointed as the quality is excellent. I also use the Jc canteen and cup which does not fit in the side pocket,I also did not like the fact that there is no other outside pockets so every thing is stuffed down through the top of the pack. I then got the new bean pack which has much more capacity and the outside pockets are great. The hill people pack quality is great and the outside strapping system to attach other items to the outside of the pack is great.

gwynn1975 likes this.
  4. foxfire

foxfire Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    LL Bean Continental - Capacity: 2,014 cu. in., 33 L.

HPG Umlindi - 2000ci/ 30L
    Belt less Chassis capacity :75lbs
    Belted chassis capacity : 120lbs

If you search thru this sub forum you will find info on the Lindi and the Continental packs. I have a Lindi and it is a great pack, attach the tarahumara to it and I gain another 1000ci/ 16L, and if you get the HPG M2016 butt pack and use it as a top lid you gain another 500ci / 8L.

gwynn1975 and M.Hatfield like this.
  5. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Does anyone know if the Tarapocket is the same capacity as the Tara-pack? The HPG setup seems more versatile but at a potentially high cost.

gwynn1975 and geologist2 like this.
  6. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Hardwoodsman #7 Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I'm pretty sure the pocket is just the pack but without the harness.

leightyj2, M.Hatfield and geologist2 like this.
  7. geologist2

geologist2 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have both tarahumara and the tara- pocket. Both have pretty much the same capacity. Minus the waterbottle pockets of course.

M.Hatfield likes this.
  8. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the info. I love LL Bean and their products but whenever possible, I try to buy American made when possible. If I am honest, I have enough Mystery Ranch products and I think many American-made backpacks are a bit overpriced, boutique, or too tactical for my taste. HPG seems to be an exception to that rule of mine....

geologist2 likes this.
  9. leightyj2

leightyj2 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was super into HPG and bought some of their packs and ended up hating the no mesh backing to where the pack sits on your back and makes you sweat like crazy in the summer. The LL bean does not have that problem. I recently got an osprey stratos 24 in green and love it for the airflow mesh backing design. I would recommend the Karrimor Predator SF 30 or 45 if you are looking for something more bushcrafty than a hiking pack, they are priced right and really comfy. I use the Swedish LK35 for all overnight up to 2-3 days out trips due to its extreme comfort and versatility and recently hiked 12 miles with it on my back and it is extremely comfortable with a surplus waist strap on it.

Out of all the bushcrafty packs I have owned and used my picks are:
    -Osprey stratos 24 (for dayhikes)
    -Karrimor SF predator 30 & 45
    -LL Bean Continental Rucksack
    -Swedish LK 35 Rucksack with surplus waist belt