Hunter Harassment

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by Poeschel, Oct 12, 2019 at 7:18 PM.

1. Poeschel

Poeschel Scout

Blog Posts:
    I need advice on how to handle this. My parents live in a rural area on 3 acres. Surrounding neighbors have equal or more property. My dad has MS so he built a large box stand out back, does a little food plot....etc. no problems for the last five years. We only bow hunt and I would say half die on our land and half one of neighbors property. The new neighbor behind us has stated no trespassing or retrieving deer on his property. He was quite rude to my dad which irritates me cause he’s 78 and walks with a cane, a total non threat.
    Well tonight we’re hunting and this guy starts walking the property line grunting and coughing overly loud, obvious what he’s doing. I confronted him, we get into an MF match and we go our separate ways. He said he’s calling cops and game warden, I said go for it. Any thoughts on how to handle this. This was a couple hours ago and no cops or game wardens have shown up yet.

WY_Not, blind & lost, slysir and 7 others like this.
  2. Big ian

Big ian Scout

Blog Posts:
    Like the BSA says, be prepared, do your own homework, know your rights.

3. PAcanis

PAcanis Bushmaster Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hit him over the head with a shovel.
    Maybe not... but people like that tick me off.

Keep us posted.

Skeptiksks, 45jack, SRK and 11 others like this.
  4. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I like this, does it make me a bad man? I hate anti hunters go mind your own buisness.

45jack, SRK, Nic7364 and 7 others like this.
  5. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I hate a bully and that’s what you have on your hands.
    Other than shooting deer on your land and hoping they die on friendly territory I guess that’s about the best you can do. I have no idea what the law is on retrieving an animal that runs onto his land after being shot on yours. Maybe ask the warden?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 8:03 PM
  6. PACoureurDuBois

PACoureurDuBois --AISI #49--Roughian #79--Mora Tribe#589 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This sucks, big time, and I feel your pain.
    Unfortunately, if he's on his land, there's probably not a whole lot you can do.

Nothing stopping you from planting lots of defensive plants and poison ivy/oak/sumac along the property line though....

WY_Not, SRK, Outdoor Dauber and 8 others like this.
  7. PAcanis

PAcanis Bushmaster Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I know in PA, where you draw tags to shoot an elk and it sounded an awful lot like a farmed hunt, the guides really impress upon you to make a clean shot, use plenty of gun and drop it right there. Apparently the area they hunt is adjoining an anti's property and there's not a dang thing they can do about it if your elk walks over there to die.

8. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Talk with the local game warden. He will know what's what.

Regards,

ezra

SRK, Gruntinhusaybah, Timex and 10 others like this.
  9. Poeschel

Poeschel Scout

Blog Posts:
    PA law states landowner rights trump hunting privileges. Which means I can’t retrieve my deer if he doesn’t want me to. It also means he has to let the deer rot or put a tag on it to move it. I’m fine with not being allowed on his land, but don’t screw up my dad and my hunt just to be a prick.

WY_Not, SRK, tree-ratsniper and 9 others like this.
  10. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    And what do these do gooder anti hunters do with the animal when they won't let you retrieve it?

11. Poeschel

Poeschel Scout

Blog Posts:
    It rots or they have to tag it.

12. Paul Caruso

Paul Caruso Being all that I am. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Are there not rules against harassing a hunter by intentionally disturbing a hunt?

Robert Highhawk, WY_Not, SRK and 14 others like this.
  13. Invictvs138

Invictvs138 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Some people are just aweful neighbors. I also live in The country & have a guy that calls the cops on my dogs all the time if they bark for a minute. The dogs are secured in a fence line & he lives across a country road at least 100 yrds away. There are other dogs barking and coyotes yipping all night where we we live, but for some reason he has fixated on us.

There is no dog barking or noise ordinance in my township so I never get cited - and the cops are fed up with this guy. I have bark collars & still try to be a good neighbor- but hey, they are Standard schnauzers & they bark. They are loved and well cared for family dogs.

He has a Gadsden flag up that he takes down when he calls the cops to complain. I have tried to go over and discuss the issue in good faith with him but he won’t answer the door.

Some people don’t have have anything better to do than stew and hate their neighbors for ridiculous “slights”. They are prisoners to their own anger. We ignore him and just live our lives.

Red Wing, WY_Not, SRK and 7 others like this.
  14. Monkeynono

Monkeynono Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I believe what the neighbor is doing is not allowed.

15. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I got no solution, but I feel for you. joe

16. Poeschel

Poeschel Scout

Blog Posts:
    PA does have hunter harassment laws and he violated them tonight in my opinion. He stated he was calling the game warden which I encouraged him to do. Right now I’m waiting it out just to see if he’ll actually call or if he’s full of sh$& cause he knows he’s in the wrong.

17. JeffG

JeffG Guide

Blog Posts:
    Have video ready to show him when you do.... Also I think the people at the feed mill, grocery store, gas station and church should know what he is doing too.

18. Gumbi

Gumbi Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    You should call him yourself to report your neighbor. He's definitely in the wrong.

WY_Not, roadend, Doubles and 9 others like this.
  19. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I know one thing, I'd set up a berm and be target practicing on paper with my handgun every afternoon and take my time. Won't be long and he'll want you to stop. Maybe then he'll compromise. If not order more ammo.

20. JeffG

JeffG Guide

Blog Posts:
    And tannerite. Goooooood morning!!!!!

21. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Or a gong. Bigger the better. Only so much 'POW --- BONG'! 'POW --- BONG'! 'POW --- BONG'! someone can take. Of course when I lived where I could just walk out my back door, I shot a lot, three or four times a week. Still, I'm guessing if he isn't crazy about bow hunting he'll love a 45 and a gong!

22. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Offer him a prime cut if you can have permission to retrieve your kill on his land.

okapimike, x39, Winterhorse and 6 others like this.
  23. Poeschel

Poeschel Scout

Blog Posts:
    I did tell my dad when it started that we should take the high road, let him know when we’re hunting, let him know when we’re done or if we get one down. Use a drag sled so we don’t leave blood all over, gut it on our property....etc. he immediately became aggressive with my dad when he tried to handle it in an adult like way. I probably didn’t handle it the best but I just couldn’t let him think my dad was easy to take advantage of. I wanted him to know my dad wasn’t alone and we weren’t going to be intimidated.

24. Don Robison

Don Robison Seeker of Knowledge Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What state are you in, what is the property zoned (in FL different zoning has different allowable uses) and what are the laws in your state for hunter harassment.

25. GoKartz

GoKartz El Coyote Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like hunter harassment, which there are laws against, but ultimately yeah he does have the right to tell you to stay off his property. Sucks to have neighbors like that. Good luck. Depending on him, be careful with the "let him know we aren't going to be intimidated bit" - very easy for him to then call the cops at that point, and as much as I respect the Blue, that can go south real quick (which just happened with a friend two weeks ago, who also is a cop).

Hope things turn out alright.

26. Torrin

Torrin Pan Supporter

Blog Posts:
    He just wants to feel safe. I have had my share of neighbor, dogs, hunting and Game Warden issues. With a nasty dispute going on now.
    It is tricky to show a neighbor that you won't be bullied without just bombing the can down the road of no return.
    It sounds like it isn't too late to try and come to an agreement that your both happy with. It is sooo much nicer to have your neighbors actually be friends when possible as I'm sure you know. Try the win him with kindness routine till your blue first, at least if you have to start videoing your encounters and making reports with the authorities you'll feel better about doing what you have to do.

I'm working on that myself, it's tough.

27. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    As stated get video of his actions and your encounters. Let the neighbor be the ass. You be the stand up adult. If a shot deer enters his property then your likely not going to get it.

WY_Not, River Roamer, Torrin and 4 others like this.
  28. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Time to start raising guinea fowl......if he won’t hunt they will make him change his mind. In all seriousness make sure you video any encounters with him so that a story doesn’t become one sided. Consult with your local wildlife folks for advice as well. If it’s possible an eight foot fence will keep the deer from going that direction quickly.

29. Wapitilo

Wapitilo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately....people suck.

30. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Don't antagonize him, be nice and gather evidence. joe

31. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    Most states have laws against disrupting a legal hunt. I would have insisted he call the warden.

WY_Not, Timex, rsnurkle and 7 others like this.
  32. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    Next time. Video him doing it.

33. Geneh

Geneh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Welllll.... if he has to tag it or leave it rot, not very good options for your cranky neighbor. I cannot imagine he would want to dress it out. Maybe a game warden can remove the deer and let you have it.

34. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    sorry, @kronin323 read and responded, too late @ night.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019 at 3:59 AM
    JeffG, central joe and Winterhorse like this.
  35. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Read it again; it's the OP's dad who's 78; I don't recall him mentioning the age of the problem neighbor.

JeffG, central joe and Winterhorse like this.
  36. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't have any answers beyond letting the law be the middleman (SSS just isn't a valid option, however attractive:27:) but there I do have to wonder...

What's his problem? Is it with hunting altogether, trespassing as a concept, or the idea of stray shots going into his property? In your confrontations, has he explained that much? Some of those are easier to fix than others.

Regardless, as much as a thing like this can work you up (I've been there under other circumstances) I just suggest you don't let things escalate and instead continue to be calm and think rationally. He's the aggressor here, not you. Keep it that way, and don't take his bait.

37. Doctor Fish

Doctor Fish Tracker

Blog Posts:
    :dblthumb:

[​IMG]

38. Poeschel

Poeschel Scout

Blog Posts:
    He’s actually not an anti, he’s a hunter too. He feels that we’re being unsportsmanlike in the way we hunt. Thinks we should be hunting the “big woods for trophy bucks.” We shoot does so I guess he doesn’t care for that or the fact that we have a big stand that we’re warm and comfortable in.

39. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I can only speak for Maine law, but here what the neighbor did initially would very likely be illegal under the hunter harassment laws, so basically he would have been calling the cops on himself. Should a wounded animal cross onto posted land we are required to call the Wardens who will retrieve it. Until it's tagged the animal is the property of the state, not the person whose land it is on.

40. GKiT

GKiT Guide

Blog Posts:
    rural America but not as far out as I would like
    Kill as many legal deer as possible, letting them all die on his land and invite all your friends to do the same.

41. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Actually the more developed areas are the ones that generally have an over population of deer and benefit the most from herd management through hunting. Reduction of the herd in these areas helps prevent property damage, vehicular accidents, curtails the spread of Lyme disease, and makes for a healthier herd in general. Perhaps the Warden can explain that to him.

42. White Falcon

White Falcon Scout

Blog Posts:
    $2000.00 fine in TX for harassment! You also have to have 10 ac. or more to hunt.

43. barkoguru

barkoguru Scout

Blog Posts:
    It is against the law to hunt in a subdivision with lots 10 acres or less in an unicorporated area of a county IF the commissioners court, by order, prohibits the discharge of a firearm or the use of archery equipment in such subdivisions.
    This is probably more common in the larger cities/counties but in the rural areas I’ve never it around here.
    In Texas your required to do everything possible to retrieve game, but you cannot cross onto marked private property to do so, so your best bet is to call the game warden and let him handle it, that could go either way depending on the actual game warden himself I suppose, harassment is another ballgame, get it on video and then let the warden go from there imho, if it were me I’d definitely be close by to monitor the neighbors actions if my elderly father or anyone for that matter were to hunt in close proximity to someone like that just for safeties sake.

44. bluecow

bluecow Scout

Blog Posts:
    call your local sheriff, town cop, warden, START A PAPER TRAIL. cya

45. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    This all sounds like the most important part of figuring out a solution that doesn't escalate into decades of neighborly conflict. It also sounds like it would be the hardest part to work on (for you and him), if he's already managed to provoke you into any kind of yelling match. Im guessing he doesn't have any older relatives who are facing the choice between making hunting easier or giving it up entirely, and that he's not thinking about you guys leaving more trophy bucks for other people and potentially helping with a different side of the conversation issue. If you can get back into conversation without going at each other, figuring out how to change his mind about this stuff (even if only for your dad's hunting) might be the better long term solution than legal force.

Edited to add: @x39 's comment about having the Warden do some discussion/persuading sounds like an option to me.

46. Timex

Timex BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    As mentioned, take the high road and gather evidence. I agree a game warden should become involved. Hopefully, the warden can mediate some type of agreement. Sounds like you guys have done a great job so far. As for your neighbor, changing adult behavior can be difficult.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019 at 8:37 AM
  47. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a shitty neighbor too, only mine burns shit he shouldnt be burning... you know, couches, old heating systems, construction rubbish... all the stuff someone with lung issues shouldn't be breathing in. IMO, just find someplace else to hunt. It isn't worth the squabble and police and time. 3 Acres isn't much property and as long as he is on his property he can have a party while you're hunting. It's a shame he is a D**** but a game warden can't tell him he can or cant use his property and when. I know this because my friend went through the same thing. After the game warden told his neighbor he can't harass him while hunting the neighbor promptly sued the state and it settled out of court and my buddy no longer hunts his property as he was told there was nothing they could do about the guy as long as he was on his own property. Sad part is my friends neighbor barely owns land compared to his neighbors but he has a recessed lot that basically puts his house in the middle of the woods he used to hunt.

WY_Not, Ragman, central joe and 2 others like this.
  48. Florida Bullfrog

Florida Bullfrog Scout

Blog Posts:
    As I read thru the thread I was going to assert that he may not be an anti, but another hunter who views you as competition or he may be simply jealous of your hunting opportunities. Not that arrogant self-righteous wouldn’t be enough of a motivation. There’s plenty of self righteous types in the hunting community that would outlaw any kind of hunting but their own.

Take the high road in your communications with him, but also kill the hell out of the deer in front of him.

WY_Not, SRK, central joe and 2 others like this.
  49. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That rednecky area between Baltimore and Philly.
    Some people are just mean, and there's not much you can do with 'em. But it might be illegal in your state to harass a hunter; check it out.

If the guy's a vegan, you're likely to just make it worse, but offering a backstrap or tenderloin might be a great "good neighbor" opening offer.

50. Doctor Fish

Doctor Fish Tracker

Blog Posts:
    There is just the opposite situation. My friend has rented hunting area, down to the river aprox 7 km there is an apiary. The workmen of this apiary, there two of them,  hang about friend,s area shooting the deers if they would get a luck or install steel snare wire for musk deers, generally making  dirty tricks. The attempts to speak in normal manner did not to get any positive results now in seeeking the way out:cool: The additional inconvenience is we hike on this area about twice a mounth but they being resided at their base permanently.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019 at 8:36 PM
    WY_Not, central joe and Winterhorse like this.