Hunting boots

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by Nick Dundua, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Nick Dundua

Nick Dundua Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    what kind of boots would you recommend and which brand/model as well for hunting in high mountains , very rocky , wet slippery stiff terrain , above 3000 m altitude so every gram matters , in 200$ Range

Thanks

freebirdfb likes this.
  2. JD Miller

JD Miller Guide

Blog Posts:
    Im shopping for a new pair for the same use..... So far ....Redwing Irish setter Trailblazer 6", Danner Sharptail 6", ...Maybe a Thorogood Omni(USA Made)not sure about these,

I like traditional quality leather boots , none of this fancy, trendy, foo foo, bling, weird colored crap on boots for me

Still shopping. I do have some Vasque St Elias , I never bought before, as my back up boots, They seem pretty good and durable and have worn them bird dog training hiking and hunting.

I saw some Carhartt hiking boots online , Not sure about them , no one carries them local so I could go look at them

I might get one pair each of the above Danners and Redwing Irish setters. I like Daners (light wght) and want to try the Irish setters too ( heavier than the Danners but look tuff)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    freebirdfb likes this.
  3. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Another brand to look at is MEINDL, they make excellent boots for hiking in mountainous terrain.

freebirdfb likes this.
  4. JD Miller

JD Miller Guide

Blog Posts:
    I was just checking cabelas for MEINDLs ..... looks like they are out of stock

freebirdfb likes this.
  5. louied

louied Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have the Meindl boots from Cabelas and they are awesome boots for rugged terrain.

freebirdfb likes this.
  6. tleek

tleek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have Irish Setter Trailblazers. I would say denfinitely a no go for steep rocky terrain.
    The sole grips vegetation well but is pretty slippery on smooth surfaces. Also no locking instep eyelets which are huge for steep terrain. The boot is stiff, but nothing like mountain hunting boots. Overall, the trailblazer is comfortable, the toebox is wide, and I like to wear them to work, but wouldn’t want to take them to the mountains.

I have never hunted high up in the mountains, but have spent a little bit of time hiking and backpacking up high. I wore Asolo TPS 520s last year and like them a lot, but I think I can find something that fits me a little better.

Like a true armchair warrior I have watched lots of MeatEater and Randy Newberg Hunter. They use Schnees and kenetreks, but those are way more than 200

freebirdfb likes this.
  7. WesinND

WesinND Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Meindl. I have several pairs.

8. JD Miller

JD Miller Guide

Blog Posts:
    Huh? locking instep eyelets?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  9. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
  10. tleek

tleek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    upload_2019-7-9_9-5-32.jpeg
    The third set from the top. Maybe they are not called instep eyelets, I don’t know, but they lock into place so you can differentiate the tension of your laces to reduce heel slippage and prevent your foot from slipping foreword while going down hill. I guess they don’t even have to lock, but some boots lack eyelets like this that are set farther behind the rest near your ankle and have done a great job at keeping my foot in place. My feet are weird but that’s just my experience.