1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Hunting season died out quick.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by feellnfroggy, Dec 27, 2016.

1. feellnfroggy

feellnfroggy Guide

Blog Posts:
    All the excitement about hunting season is about through. It saddens me that it is so regulated and expensive and in the areas around me, property limited. Most of our expense of licensing and quality free public land. It's 10 bux a night in Goethe, which isn't bad unless you want a 5 night hunt. Free range primitive camping isn't allowed, campgrounds only. Plus WMA permits, on top of licenses and tags. And the land is thoroughly destroyed. The entire time I was out, horseback riders were on the trails every single day. The ladies came through just yipping and hee hawing and weren't surprised a bit too see me walking back down the trail guns camo and all. They were wearing orange so they knew hunters were out. We all know what the costs for private hunts are. And it only lasts a couple months.

I fully agree with animal management, so don't misunderstand. But (said having never experienced this) I wish I had an opportunity to hunt the old way, where you walk out in the woods and shoot a month's worth of dinner(one deer for my family and the neighbors). No one to answer to, just good ol fashioned responsibility and love for the woodlife. Any time if the year, any time of day or night. My fishing season was just as lame, I don't own a decent boat and you can't bank fish a Florida summer and catch anything reasonable. All riverbanks are private land, what few are not are swimming holes or overfished. And again with the costs. Sometimes it gets really frustrating. My man card is about to be revoked. One small bass and no game all year. Not even a squirrel. (Squirrel problems are from gun problems) but still a full year of fishing and hunting and a small bass to show for it. It's enough to frustrate one right out of the sport.

Lucky for me I'm not a quitter. Pig is legal year round. Maybe I'll get lucky.

I just needed to vent. Thanks for listening. (I'm sure there is an answer for all these problems, I just haven't found it yet)

2. actiondiver

actiondiver Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hunting as the continent/world fills up will become evermore expensive, just be glad we can still go get relatively cheap food at the store.

3. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bro , all the time I drive down in the turnpike I see a ton of pigs munching on fresh grass in the puddles close to the highway ... I mean they more than geckos,if you can't get one you not trying at all

Haggis likes this.
  4. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For fish get a kayak. Relatively inexpensive and you can access waters others can't. I can't help with the hunting much. Here in Georgia I have 2000 acres to hunt (my own land) so I have access to all kinds of animals including hogs now. It's not like it was when I grew up but we still have access to some good hunting.

Haggis likes this.
  5. Haggis

Haggis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I hear people talking, even here in Northern Minnesota with its many millions of acres of Federal Forests, State Forests, and wide open state land and 1,000's of lakes, saying there is no game, no fish, and no where to get away from people. The game laws are too strict say they,,,

It's a job though, trying to "live off the land", it always was, even "back in the day". The forests and lakes closest to the settlements saw the most hunters and fishers,,, further in had native hunters and fisherfolk,,, of course now, "back of beyond" is someone else's back yard,,,

I suppose I've been lucky, but I also could never live long where I couldn't find "silent places",,,

Now I've 100 acres, bordering 10's of 1,000's of acres of forested empty state land,,, I hunt deer, bear, grouse, and hares literally by walking out my back door,,, I've half a dozen good fishing lakes 1/4 mile to 5 miles from me,,,

There are people here who hunt and fish, but rarely get their deer or catch a fish,,, luck always plays a roll, but it's still a commitment of time to warrantee success at anything,,,

I was always willing to walk the extra mile, portage to the lake further in, stay a little longer, go after what others weren't, that has helped me,,, of course, the next fellow is dealing with different logistics,,, Everyone must play the hand they're dealt I suppose,,,

6. Robert Highhawk

Robert Highhawk Scout

Blog Posts:
    Checkout and scout Jumper Creek wildlife management area just west of you in Sumter County. Tough hunting because it is high hammock and swamp but there are some higher areas. It is some what dry now due to lack of rain. There are some nice deer in there and it's full of hogs and turkeys. My suggestion would be get a pamphlet on it, look at an aerial on google earth, ect. If you decide to try it message me and I'll give you an area to try.

I hunted Ocala N.F. Back in the 70's and early 80's. Had some luck hunting next to closed recreation areas. Used a tree stand at least 20 feet up pine. Mostly bow hunting.

As far as fishing I used to spend a couple of days living solo in the Ocala every couple of months. Those isolated ponds along the hiking trail and off trail always yielded bass and brim to my fly rod with dry and wet flies. One lake that was good for bass was Clay Lake north of rt 42 in lake county near lake Catherine.

Check with fish/game. They've stocked some of the holding ponds along the super highways. Also the fishing lake at south entrance of Seminole state forest on rt 46 just west of wikiva river in lake county. Don't fish off the dock. Plastic worms around the lake where brush grows in the water. Watch for snakes.

Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Haggis likes this.
  7. feellnfroggy

feellnfroggy Guide

Blog Posts:
    That's not food...

Haggis likes this.
  8. feellnfroggy

feellnfroggy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't live where you live and I can't hunt off the hwy. Everything around me is private and the two national forests are run ragged with dogs. I know where they are at. Pigs hopefully should not be a problem, but time and opportunity are.

Haggis likes this.
  9. feellnfroggy

feellnfroggy Guide

Blog Posts:
    My dad was in Georgia this year on my uncle's property, he got two doe. Uncle had 7 acres. The problem with a kayak is they are 300 minimum, usually more. Kayak fishing is exploding in Florida and the prices show it. I've wanted to though. I've got a canoe at me parents house, needs finished coating and painting. Buy I also have a family that likes to fish, so getting out a lone is not a common thing for me.

10. feellnfroggy

feellnfroggy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I was hunting Goethe. It's very swampy on the south end. That's where that most game is, but it all scuttles to a private 15000 acre farm nearby when the hunters come out. I didn't hunt ONF this year cuz I had already scouted Goethe. I dont know ONF as well. Hemlock is tough stuff to move through. I dont have snake Gators or tree stand or anything like that. I fish the lakes in ONF and dunnellon and the rivers, but when it gets hot all the fish go deep.

It's all good though. Next year will be better, it was just a vent about all the regs and private land that restrict us broke and poorer than dirt hunters/Fisher's from being able to work within our constraints sometimes. If love to run with Daniel Boone when he crossed the Appalachians. Minus the Indians of course.

Haggis likes this.
  11. Redfeather

Redfeather Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Having family that likes to fish isn't a bad thing....

12. Robert Highhawk

Robert Highhawk Scout

Blog Posts:
    Gotcha what your saying about Goethals State forest. They have that horse park on the south side. I like riding in the woods but have not visited there in years cause I have closer areas to ride. Check out the open for hunting north of Rt40 surrounding juniper springs. I used to hunt on the west side in the oak tree stands that separated the planted pines. It was good for several "missed shots" with my bow. You could just find you a good tree to sit against on the edge of those oak strands and with a rifle it would be good.

There was a good book written by a famous bow hunter from umatilla, Florida about hunting the Ocala national forest. Had some good tips/areas in it. He got his deer every year. Can't remember his name but he use to work with Warren Sweat Treestand Co. In the same city.

Flip those bushes and heavy grass around the lake with a 1/2 oz pegged slip sinker and a dark worm. I can attest they hold bass year around.

Yes it is getting crowded and I don't agree with some of the regulations or even the way they manage game/non-game animals but it is what it is.

I like to think that some of my ancestors in what is now Texas and Oklahoma where at times helpful to the immergrants that explored/moved westward.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    feellnfroggy and Haggis like this.
  13. lodge camper

lodge camper Scout

Blog Posts:
    i am one that is glad season is ending. i stayed out of woods during season because there isn't much public land for hunters as is. so. finally, this afternoon, be taking the wife and little dude out for lake ice adventure and bush dinner and maybe play with 10/22.

Haggis likes this.
  14. feellnfroggy

feellnfroggy Guide

Blog Posts:
    No by all means it isn't. I live that my family is interactive. But it limits me. I can't walk 15 miles a day and sleep against a tree. Or Creek a long a bank fishing so close to the water that you can't see private property signs when I'm untangling hooks. I usually spend all my time teaching.

Haggis likes this.
  15. feellnfroggy

feellnfroggy Guide

Blog Posts:
    This was my goal. I didn't go out first day. I planned my leave for the end of November a full month after opening day, hopefully to give the animals time to settle into a new routine. But deer here are extremely nocturnal. I was gonna go out again at the end of the season when it's colder, but my license expired and circumstances eliminated my ability to renew before season end.

Haggis likes this.
  16. wingnuts

wingnuts Guide

Blog Posts:
    Going out Friday and Sat final days of ML in my zone. Bum knee kept me out along with bad weather. New tires and desperation will have me pushing my limits on Fri and Sat. Should be low pressure hunts and more just getting out with Dad (87) looking for a 75 pound doe just for vennie!

Haggis likes this.
  17. feellnfroggy

feellnfroggy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Im guessing by pushing limits and new tires you mean snow driving or mud? Take a decent lil compressor with you and air down to 20psi. It'll give you a larger footprint but keep you on the bead.

wingnuts and Haggis like this.
  18. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    Depends on what you WANT to hunt, vs. what you CAN hunt. All across the country there are species of animals that are open game all year round, that all you need is a license to hunt. No tags. These aren't "trophy" animals, however they'll fill a freezer just the same.

Haggis likes this.
  19. wingnuts

wingnuts Guide

Blog Posts:
    Mostly iced roads, anything not paved in my zone is off limits, too bad cause it would really cut down walking on my bum knee! Pushing my limits is mostly getting to my spot (and back out with a deer) nothing flat where I hunt you're either going uphill or down unless you follow a ridgeline. If I got to my spot and am fortunate it will be a tough climb up at least 3 ridges till I hit a road that I can use my deer cart on. Not bitchin mind you just what it is. Going in for PRP and stem cells on the 4th will be down for 7 days then crutches for a while. So winter bow is out. This will be my only chance to fill some space in the freezer.

20. gila_dog

gila_dog BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Out here in the wild west hunting seasons run from Sept 1 to mid Dec, but if you get drawn for one, you only get 5 days to hunt (early archery elk is about 2 weeks long). So I go scouting all year long, just exploring the country and looking for places where the elk might be during the season. There's a lot of public land where you can go any time you want, camp out and explore. The only time anybody is out there is during the hunting seasons, but if you are willing to walk, even 1/2 mile, you leave them all behind. Other times of the year there's nobody out there except the occasional cowboy or wood cutter, or people like me just camping out and exploring. If I lived in FL I would have a boat of some kind, even a canoe or rowboat. Not having a boat in FL is like not having a pickup truck in NM.