Hunting without the red tape...no, not poaching smart guy.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by bondvagabond, Dec 11, 2016.

1. bondvagabond

bondvagabond Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Now, I am not saying that game management is not important, what I am saying is that having to hunt on the third wednesday from 2-4, etc. etc. detracts from the whole reason of why I go hunting. Poaching is not what I am talking about, what I am talking about is: what are some legally harvestable game, in your area, that the game management authority for whatever reason, has very little restrictions on. For example, in the region where I have spent most of my life, and my family still lives in sw oregon, their is usually no closed season, and no, or almost no bag limit on grey squirrels. Deer hunting season was always during the busiest time for me when I was working as a diesel mechanic, people getting vehicles ready for winter, tractors during harvest time etc. and the season was so short you'd want to hunt almost all of it to up your chances. Where my cabin was in eastern oregon, their was a lottery system even for deer, not just elk and fancy stuff :)

Here in Texas where I live now, you can barter pretty cheaply with local ranchers for hog hunting rights, with very little regulations. Hunting hogs in dense brush with a 20mm glock, I call it my poor mans dangerous game african safari. Back to oregon, you could trap possums I think and a few other things, maybe coyotes for a big part of the year. Lakes you could usually fish almost year round even though the rivers had pretty restrictive seasons. (all of these are from my terrible memory, if I was actually going out you bet I got the regs, and you should too, so double check any of these if you plan to do them)

So what are some hunting/fishing animals that you can go after in your area, with a less restrictive season? Where can you still feel free, and unyoked by beurocracy, while still responsibly managing wildlife?

2jka, Dogrobber, Haggis and 2 others like this.
  2. Makarov

Makarov Scout

Blog Posts:
    rabbits in AZ I believe to be year round targets along with a few other species.

2jka likes this.
  3. Hawkcreek

Hawkcreek Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    First of all, I WANT A 20MM GLOCK! Please tell me where you got it from!!!

Around here deer and for the most part elk are an over the counter tag so were lucky in that regard. But for the rest of the year it's mostly coyotes. As long as you have a license there is no bag limit and little restriction on how you can hunt them.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  4. bondvagabond

bondvagabond Tracker

Blog Posts:
    sorry, it's a limited run :) actually my brain stuck glock 20 and 10mm together, sorry.

Cheapeats and Hawkcreek like this.
  5. bondvagabond

bondvagabond Tracker

Blog Posts:
    racoon trapping I've heard here in Texas is year round, I think. they look more like a big squirrel than a little bear like I'm used to in Oregon. You can't trap public road ditches here like you can a lot of places, and Texas has little public land, so you almost need a little ranchette, or a buddy with a real ranch to hunt here, kind of a bummer.

2jka likes this.
  6. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    In Oregon Western Grey squirrels have a pretty tight season. However, Eastern Grays, and Fox squirrels have no limit or season. Most rabbits here, have no season or limits either.

2jka and Haggis like this.
  7. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My deer season runs from September to January... 6 of 'em... I'm happy enough with that. On top of it, I get to squirrel and rabbit hunt from Oct-Feb. Hogs are legal pretty much year round, with any weapon, night vision, and silencers. Ducks, geese, and turkey all have their reasonable seasons, though I don't partake.

I'm good with where I am.

8. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Here in AR you can take feral hogs on private land year round with any method. Everything else has a season. Game and Fish has pretty much shut down taking hogs on public land. They have the notion that they can more effectively deal with the hog population by trapping them. While I get the concept of removing a whole sounder at a time, there is no possible way that an agency with limited personnel and resources can get rid of as many hogs as allowing hunters to shoot them when they see them in any given hunting season with any given method. As it stands now, on SOME wildlife management areas, you can take them with modern gun or muzzleloader during a designated firearm deer, bear or elk season. Lots of hunters are in the woods from late September to the end of February with bows. They are not allowed to shoot the hogs. On some of the WMAs, you can shoot them, but cannot remove (eat) them. Whatever happened to the whole wanton waste argument?

Off my soapbox...

GotTheCrohns, 2jka, j_d and 1 other person like this.
  9. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Here in MA you can take woodchuck, skunk, weasel, opossum, chipmunk, English sparrows and starlings year round, but that’s about it. Even a feral pigeon is not on the list :D They have some of the strictest cruelty to animal laws in the US but even the coyote, which will take one of their precious cats, dogs or even a small child at will, is highly regulated and protected here. Makes no sense at all that an admitted dangerous scavenging nuisance is granted game animal status.

Cheapeats, ExAF1N1, 2jka and 2 others like this.
  10. MT_Fin

MT_Fin Axe'aholic Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    With so many seasons that go for such a long time, it might be a shorter list of what you CANT shoot/hunt in MT throughout the year. But coyote, rabbits, fox, raccoon, badger, ground squirrels, tree squirrels, porcupine, snakes, hares, Eurasian collared doves, etc etc are all unrestricted for the most part.

2jka likes this.
  11. Gruntinhusaybah

Gruntinhusaybah Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Southern Ca has squirrel and coyote year round no tag limit.
    Rabbit is something like Jan-nov no limit

2jka likes this.
  12. GoodOlBoy

GoodOlBoy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Statewide feral hog is open season and no bag limit... coyote, bobcat, etc. Some places there are even bounties on the coyote and bobcat. In SOME counties in central Texas Squirrel have no closed season and no bag limit. In east Texas we only get about six months of hunting for them. Rabbit is open, but good luck finding a population worth hunting anymore. Even our swamp bunnies are at record low numbers because of all the coyotes.

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy

2jka likes this.
  13. funkja

funkja Scout

Blog Posts:
    in Iowa I believe Pigeon, groundhog and Coyote are continuous open season, Starling, sparrow and garter snake have no restrictions and Feral Hogs are encouraged to be shot on sight on public hunting grounds.

2jka likes this.
  14. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In Maine it's year round open season on red squirrels, porcupine, woodchuck and coyotes. For bow/arrow hunters the list is larger.

2jka likes this.
  15. Craíc

Craíc Scout

Blog Posts:
    Go for the invasives if you can. It's unrestricted hunting plus public service. As far as I know, Asian carp, snakehead, nutria, feral hogs, etc. have fairly little restrictions.

2jka likes this.
  16. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Feral hogs and coyotes here in GA.

2jka likes this.
  17. Soilman

Soilman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hogs, coyote, groundhog is year round with no restrictions. Deer is Sept-Jan 1. 4 bucks and as many doe as you care to buy tags for.

2jka likes this.
  18. wingnuts

wingnuts Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm in NJ we're restricted out the a$$! Hell we don't even have a spring squirrel season! Deer zones that are well managed have little public land and zone with lots of public land are so poorly managed finding deer after bow season is a task! Used to be better before they stupidly decide cross bows would be better in bow season and not muzzle loader

Haggis and 2jka like this.
  19. feellnfroggy

feellnfroggy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Florida has no hog season, fur bearers are not considered game animals, but only certain ones have a trapping season I think. Any animal can be subject to a nuisance tag under the right circumstances. Deer I'm not sure the exact dates, but pretty much spans the same seasons as other states. Turkey, ducks, grouse, coot, pretty much all birds are extremely regulated. Myfwc.org for details.

2jka likes this.
  20. jet

jet Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sort of ... grey squirrels are off-limits (in so cal) ... the ones they let you hunt are ground squirrels (they climb trees, so a bit of a misnomer). Nor Cal is a different story

Rabbit is July - Jan ... with a 5-bag daily limit (10 possession)

Jackrabbit is year round. Coyote is year round

No snare trapping here. Month-long general deer season.

21. Mustang

Mustang Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Maryland whitetail season runs from early September through the end of January. If you hunt with a bow (crossbows are legal), there is no limit on does and there are no tags to buy unless you want to shoot a second buck, which sets you back $10 for a bonus stamp. If you're hunting your own land exclusively, you don't even have to have a license...just a DNR ID. There are restrictions on Sunday hunting.

Haggis likes this.
  22. Offshore Angler

Offshore Angler Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You Texas folks that might live in the hill country, or near an area with any commercial pecan growing operations have a great opportunity waiting for you, just ask the owners, and they will be glad to have you hunt squirrels, Most may even provide ammo, and it can lead to other species down the road if you really make an effort to go after them squirrels. I did this back in my younger days when I lived in the hill country, and I had days that I shot up to 40 in one morning. Those pecan fat squiirels sure taste good.

Off Shore Angler

2jka likes this.
  23. bondvagabond

bondvagabond Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've been off to texas for 1.5yrs now, but there was one little section down by the rogue river that had a long season for western gray squirrels, My parents 12 acres was in whatever unit that was. They got big as spider monkeys, all those white oak trees. again, always consult current regs, my memory has gone to heck with this M.S.

2jka likes this.
  24. Mustang

Mustang Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I grew up on the Rogue, but down closer to the ocean. Lots of "digger squirrels" (California Ground Squirrels), which to my knowledge had no season. Lord knows we kids sharpened our shooting skills on those critters. I don't know if today there are restrictions on shooting digger squirrels, but they're a nuisance and will run off big Western Grays (and they are big...I've harvested 2 lb'ers). We also shot a ton of woodrats.

2jka likes this.
  25. Chard

Chard Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Take a camera and leave the telephoto lens and firearms at home; everything's always in season that way! Show us the pics...

26. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Pixels and film make for some pretty tough eating. ;)

556mp, hunter63 and 2jka like this.
  27. Chard

Chard Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What if you submitted them to Readers' Digest?

28. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hold up they opened the use of cross bow up? I'm no good with a bow (at least unethical), but a good shot with shouldered weapons, but i'ld rather not deal with all the crap for firearm. Or is it still for the physically disabled only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    Never mind I just read up, I may need to stop by Ramsey Outdore.

30. wingnuts

wingnuts Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sorry I didn't get back to you quicker! Yep crossbows and no live deer checks. A poachers dream! Can't wait to retire somewhere else! Hell living is expensive enough but hunting!!!
    Buy a license, then a permit for muzzle loader which also requires a rifle permit, then a buck permit a doe permit, a bow license, a late bow permit!!! $hit it's 200.00 if you want to hunt each season. You can take a dozen or more deer if you can afford it.

2jka likes this.
  31. wingnuts

wingnuts Guide

Blog Posts:
    Photos taste like $hit!

2jka likes this.
  32. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, that's why I'm not super interested in dear anyway. Small game, and maybe black bear and turkey. Bear seem more worth the cost, and the barriers of entry are at least lower on the small game. I personally don't understand that obsession with deer hunting. As a sport they don't seam like that huge of a challenge. Just find a spot that dear frequent, watch what times they come around, and set up a stand or blind and wait. Dear are pretty predictable animals if you watch them enough. I once ran into the same set of dear for a week on a run, in the same spot, at the same time for a week. All I would need to have done is gotten there early with a gun. Turkey seem more elusive, or at least less predictable, and squirrel are small fast targets. Idk, it's all a wash I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haggis likes this.
  33. bondvagabond

bondvagabond Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This is a good idea, I actually have an in with a guy who manages 900 acres of pecans here in the hill country. I went to buy some slab wood from him, and helped him settle down his honey bees that had gotten all riled from a new bee keeper not knowing what he was doing.

Will let you all know how that pans out.

We have to start spending summers somewhere colder for the wife's health, I'm not gonna lie, this info will play some role in where we end up in the hot months. Thanks again.

2jka likes this.
  34. Daveboone

Daveboone Tracker

Blog Posts:
    In NY, red squirrels, porkies, squeezzils, squatch and hoop snakes.

2jka likes this.
  35. Haggis

Haggis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Speaking only of edible flora and fauna we can gather. Certain licenses apply, but the fees are small,,,

Porcupines and red squirrels are good eats and no season,,,

We're allowed 10 hares a day from mid-September through the end of February,,, trapping or hunting

No limits on beaver or muskrats,,, (beaver is way better than beef or venison, plus you can sell their coats,,,)

White fish are arguably the best tasting fish in fresh water, and no limits,,, we can even net them,,,

Certain other very good eating fish have no limits,,,

Greens, berries, mushrooms, and wild rice have no limits as to quantity,,,

Lots of deer too, but some winters kill off the herd and recovery here is very slow,,,

Here in Northern Minnesota it is very possible to live almost entirely off the land,,, as they say; "Life is a bowl of cherries, but you must climb the tree, and pick the cherries yourself".

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    Gsamp, Faiaoga and 2jka like this.
  36. wingnuts

wingnuts Guide

Blog Posts:

2jka likes this.
  37. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    The only two endemic mammals in Hawai'i are the native bat, and Monk seal (both protected) but with everything else being invasive. That being said there are always hunting units somewhere in Hawai'i that are open to hunting pigs, goats, even deer. Maui has no closed season or bag limits on Axis Deer, and that island is loaded with them. Only thing is they are smart enough to stay off of public hunting lands but they are overrunning private lands in many areas. When I lived on Maui for 12 years we hunted deer every Friday after work me and a small circle of friends. We had access to private land, and the hunting was relatively easy. We had quads so we'd ride into the forest and take cover near the top of a hill overlooking a large clearing, and just wait for the deer to come through. We always had venison in the freezer, and also allot of venison jerky too to shrink down and preserve the meat. I sure do miss living on Maui.

http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/recreation/files/2016/01/Chapter-123_Final.pdf

38. Florida Bullfrog

Florida Bullfrog Tracker

Blog Posts:
    On private land, Florida allows wild hogs and coyotes to be taken year round, day or night, with no restrictions. Most furbearers can also be taken year round during the day and under some restrictions at night. Bobcats and otters have a season. Squirrel and rabbit are regulated as game animals, although rabbit can still be taken year round during the day. Most exotics can be taken year round with no restrictions.

39. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Edible game in Nevada... cottontail and jack rabbits, coyotes, ground squirrels (yechhh - I've had them. Never again), crows, gray squtrrels, badger and porcupine. I may be missing some... oh, yeah. Rattlesnake!

I've eaten all of these. None but the ground squirrel were terrible and a couple were pretty good (coyote, cottontail and porcupine).

Steve

40. isme

isme Guide

Blog Posts:
    Foothills of the Great Smoky mountains, Tn
    In Tennessee we can hunt Armadillo, Beaver, Coyote Groundhog, and Striped Skunk. In all my years I have never seen an Armadillo in East Tn.
    All the ones I have seen in West Tn along with all the Striped Skunk I've seen hunted, all you need is a drivers license and a car. LOL Seems to be the preferred method of hunting them.

41. wolfmanjosh

wolfmanjosh Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Here in California Jack rabbit, coyote, and ground squirrel are year round no limits, no tags. Hog is year round but requires tag.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

2jka likes this.