Husqvarna Camping Axe and Carpenter's Axe Comparison

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by GregBFL, May 17, 2018.

1. GregBFL

GregBFL Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well I couldn't stand it and purchased Husqvarna's new Camping Axe. I am going to attempt to do a comparison between the Camping Axe and the Carpenter's Axe because I have been using the Carpenter's Axe for my pack/camp axe for a little while and I really like it. Unfortunately it has been raining in Central Florida since Monday and is supposed to rain through the weekend as well so I am limited to simply taking picture and providing weights and measurements at this time.

First thing I noticed was the size difference. The Camping Axe is much smaller both in size and weight. The next thing I noticed was Husqvarna did a much better job at profiling the transition of the edge with the Camping Axe than they did with the Carpenter's Axe I purchase. The Camping Axe should require very little cleanup work as compared to the Capenter's Axe. I am very happy with the quality of both axes, and I am looking forward to trying out the Camping Axe.

Here are some photos showing the Camping Axe with the provided sheath as well as comparison photos between it and the Capenter's Axe. Please note that I have done a little work on the edge transition of the Capenter's Axe because when it arrived it was not the greatest. The edge grind was pretty abrupt and not sharp at all. What you see for the Camping Axe is the way it came right out of the box. It should require a lot less work n the Capenter's Axe.

Overall length of Head: 5 3/8"
    Height of Head (at bottom of Radius): 2"
    Cutting Edge: 2 15/16"
    Overall lenght of Handle: 15"
    Length of Handle below Head (at bottom of Radius): 12 11/16"

For those of you that are fortunate enough to own a Gransfors Bruks, Wetterlings, etc. I would like to hear your input on how the Camping Axe compares to their various counterparts. I would also like to hear how the dimensions listed above compare to the counterparts as well.

Here is the Camping Axe and the provided Sheath

Husqvarna Camping Axe Web.jpg

Here is a photo of the profile of the Camping Axe head

Camping Axe Profile Web.jpg

Here is a comparison between the size of the head(s) of the Camping Axe and the Carpenter's Axe

Camping Carpenters Axe Comparison Web.jpg

This shows my highly scientific attempt to show the weight of the Camping Axe - scale calibration is NOT traceable to NIST standards. Call it 1 lb, 9.4 Oz

Camping Axe Weight Web.jpg

This shows my highly scientific attempt to show the weight of the Carpenter's Axe - again, scale calibration is NOT traceable to NIST. Call it 3 lbs

Carpenters Axe Weight Web.jpg

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  2. GregBFL

Blog Posts:
    Here are some more photos showing the Handle and Head dimensions as well as the Sheath. The more I handle the Camping Axe the more I like it. I just wish the weather here would clear up so that I can get outside and try it out.

Overall lenght of Handle is 15 inches

Length 1 Web.jpg

Bottom of Head to tip of Hanle is 12 11/16 inches

Length 4 Web.jpg

Length of Head is just approximately 5 3/8 inches

Length 2 Web.jpg

Cutting Edge is 2 15/16 inches

Length 3 Web.jpg

Length 5 Web.jpg

Sheath view on side - Note: Belt loop will allow a 1 1/2" Wide Belt, but it is extremely tight fitting.

Sheath 2 Web.jpg

Sheath View on Side Two - Note the Leather draw for tightening the Sheath

Sheath 1 Web.jpg

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  3. batmanacw

batmanacw Guide

Blog Posts:
    Lay the head on the scale and hold the end of the handle. Tip the handle up and down until you see the lowest weight.

4. GregBFL

Blog Posts:
    I tried this two ways, one way with the head laying flat (side) and the other way with the axe on its poll. It was not easy because the scale is so sensitive the slightest movement makes the weight change. Using both hands to hold it as steady as I could, the lowest weight using both methods was 1 lb 3.1 Oz. I'm guessing you are trying to establish the weight of the axe head, your thoughts on this weight?

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    batmanacw likes this.
  5. batmanacw

batmanacw Guide

Blog Posts:
    Pretty close to 1 1/4 lbs. Pretty standard weight. I was hoping for closer to 1 lb. Still not bad. It could be as low as 1 lb 2 oz without the wood in the eye.

I might be game.

I'd pull it and put the head on 18" I think.

americanstrat98 likes this.
  6. GregBFL

Blog Posts:
    It might be lower, the surface of the scale is slippery and I was trying to eyeball the center of the scale. I had some numbers in the 1 lb upper 2 Oz range, but it would flicker with higher and lower weights. I might try adding some non-slip material and calibrating the scale to zero with the material on it and re-weigh the axe tomorrow. If I get a lower weight I will post it.

One thing I forgot to mention in the first post is it appears the poll is angled a little as it if it were the designers intention to compensate for the hand grip angle. That way it would be at the correct angle when you strike say a tent stake, if that makes any sense. Again, I will do more research tomorrow and post more photos of the handle measurements and such.

I wish the damn rain would stop long enough to do something outside. Today was the worst, we got over 3 inches of rain bringing our total up to around 8 inches since Monday.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  7. 62flint

62flint Scout

Blog Posts:
    The heavy oiled leather and rivets of the mask appear identical to that on my Hultafors Classic Trekking axe 500gm. I have the latter and it just weighed 1# 10oz on my spring scale. Cutting edge length 2.9", cutting edge to poll 5.36", 15" handle. The portion of handle that protrudes through the eye is 3/4" x 1-3/4". The poll on your Husqvarna appears slightly shorter and broader, and yours also appears slightly wider behind the eye. The Hults Bruk Almike hatchet and Hultafors Classic Trekking axe 500gm are the same except for the name on the handle.

Again, compared to the GB SFA, the Hultafors CTA is noticeably smaller and lighter. Its also several ounces lighter than the current Collins 1-1/4# hatchet.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    GregBFL and Kelly W like this.
  8. 62flint

62flint Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just took some comparison photos.

L-R Prandi 600gm hatchet, Hultafors CTA 500gm, GB Small Forest axe, Collins 1-1/4# hatchet

IMG_1557.JPG IMG_1558.JPG
    eyes L-R Prandi 600gm, Hultafors 500gm, and GB Small Forest Axe

GregBFL likes this.
  9. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    That's not bad looking. Pretty standard hatchet for the most part.

10. GregBFL

Blog Posts:
    I added some more photos and comments for those interested. Really starting to like the way the Camping Axe feels in the hand. I am going to sharpen the blade and work on the handle. Hopefully the weather will clear up soon so I can actually use it.