Husqvarna Carpenter's Axe vs. 26" Forest Axe

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by mrhappy85, Feb 11, 2019.

1. mrhappy85

mrhappy85 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This has probably been covered more than once, but here goes again.

I am in the process of trying to decide which axe I want to purchase to carry while I'm in the woods.

I like the length of the bit and shape of the carpenter's axe, and don't necessarily need the 26" length of the Forest Axe.
    But on the other hand, would the Forest model be a better all around axe?

I feel that the 4"+ bit of the Carpenter's Axe would serve me better, and the 20"(ish) length is more carry/pack friendly.

MAKE UP MY MIND FOR ME!!! :)

2. mrhappy85

mrhappy85 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My dilemma...

Attached Files:

3. Harper

Harper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It depends on how you intend to carry the axe and your intended use.

The longer handle will give you more efficiency but it is more cumbersome to transport.

The head geometry is different, too.

I bought the Carpenter's Axe first and got the Multipurpose Axe later. The Carpenter's Axe also has a better mask. I've said it a number of times in other posts that, in my opinion, the Husqvarna Carpenter's Axe is the best bang-for-your-buck new (this for the restoration crowd) Bushcrafter's axe out there.

4. 08H3

08H3 God, Family and Freedom Vendor

Blog Posts:
    had both at one point. Now I have the Husqvarna camp axe.... hatchet lol. It's like a mini multi purpose axe.

5. 08H3

08H3 God, Family and Freedom Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Junglas for reference
    20190211_222321.jpg

Lee C., Ptpalpha, Madwell and 2 others like this.
  6. John Mastracchio

John Mastracchio Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm partial to a boys axe on a 19 inch handle; I feel the 19inch is perfect for bushcraft and fits nicely on my belt. In the winter I'll bring a full size on a 28inch which it fits nicely in the compression straps on my pack.
    Boys axe.jpeg

7. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have been carrying the Carpenter axe and the Boreal 21 buck saw, they are a good pair in the pack. I think the Carpenter is a little handicapped by handle length and if I was only going to take an axe into the woods it would be the Multi purpose because the longer handle is more condusive to efficient cutting.

8. BigDaddyHoss

BigDaddyHoss Tracker Pack #34 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    welcome to the club of "buy them both". They both serve different purposes. If your gonna make spoons, do crafting and kindling get the carpenter axe; gonna chop down and buck up trees the forest axe is best.

9. Glock Holiday

Glock Holiday Scout

Blog Posts:
    I bought the multipurpose axe for myself and I like it.
    I bought the carpenters axe for someone as a gift and I thought it was top heavy.

Tom Eickenberg and Harper like this.
  10. Staleym

Staleym Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hey there. @BigDaddyHoss is right. For me, at 6'4" and 250, I bought the Carpenter's Axe as a Camp Axe/Hatchet. Big Bang for Buck. It needed some love from a Lansky Puck upon receipt, I also took a True Temper Flint Edge Bois/Boy's Axe head that I was gifted, cleaned it up, profiled the bit and hung with a 28" Link Handle. Maybe its the work I put in on it, still I find the Bois Axe is a tool worthy of admiring and exciting to use. Takes nice big chunks of log. Really proud I learned then created/restored something really good vs. the pride of buying a really good high fashion tool. FWIW.

[​IMG]

11. batmanacw

batmanacw Guide

Blog Posts:
    As you can see from this thread, the size and type of axe you use is extremely subjective. Some are recommending boy's axes and some are recommending the multipurpose axe.

It really all comes down to what you see yourself using the axe for. You've given us a choice between a pickup truck and a dump truck; which is better?

If you are dropping dead standing trees for firewood on a regular basis then a larger axe like a boy's axe is appropriate. If you are simply limbing up fallen branches for fire and small trees for a quick shelter, then a smaller axe is right for you.

In the end, you'll get both, and a boy's axe......:p

12. Tom Eickenberg

Tom Eickenberg Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have three Husqvarnas, the Forest axe, 13" Hatchet and Carpenters Axe. For my use I liked the head on the 13" hatchet but not the handle, so I put a 19" House handle on it. It is great for splitting wood and other camp projects, easy to carry in my pack. I really like the Forest Axe, I use mostly at home for splitting kindling and firewood. I have not warmed up to the Carpenter's Axe yet, but it is my newest and I haven't used it much yet.

13" Hatchet with new and old handle
    IMG_7101.JPG

Tom

13. OiMcCoy

OiMcCoy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I love my Carpenters axe. So much so that I rarely use my 25" Forest axe from GBA. It may be a little shorter, but the heavy head makes up for it in many ways.

I think I mostly live it because it is tough as nails and affordable to replace. So I don't need to baby it at all.

Lee C. and Tom Eickenberg like this.
  14. designtom

designtom Scout

Blog Posts:
    Carpenters axe is a bit unusual. The chips do fly though. I'm amazed at the size of the wood pile I can generate with the moderate length handle and the overweight head.

I think it comes down to your upper body strength. If you work out, or have a job where you're regularly manhandling something heavy, then the Husky Carpenters ax needs to come along for the adventure.

15. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I am very fond of a 26" handled axe that I have. For camp work, firewood, trail clearing, general use I like the longer handle.

You would be served well by the Carpenters axe for hewing, and crafting and it will do the other duties , but with slightly more effort. I have a couple of 17-19" axes and they get a good workout.

16. mrhappy85

mrhappy85 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Will be on my pack all the time, so the shorter length is ideal, the larger bit length is definitely a plus for me.

Leaning towards the Carpenter's because of the Bit length.
    If I need more power (at 6'2", 270lbs) I can just swing harder.

I have a folding pocket style saw, and am looking at a larger folding bow saw.
    So I'm not worried about leverage honestly. And the ability to choke up and have edge in front of your hand for more control is always nice.

17. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Woods Bum Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I carry a boy's axe (probably a 1 3/4 or 2 lb head) on a cut-down 22" handle. It's plenty long enough for general use in my AO. I don't think you need a full 26" handle and the shorter one packs way easier. I'd still like to get a Husqvarna carpenter's axe at some point.
    BTW, I'm 6'-1" and don't find the shorter handle a hindrance at all.

Lee C., mrhappy85 and Tom Eickenberg like this.
  18. mrhappy85

mrhappy85 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    And of I ever really want a longer handle, I can always re-hang a longer one.

Say, Carpenter's head on 26" handle....

Staleym and 08H3 like this.
  19. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Scout

Blog Posts:
    The carprnter's axe has a flat cutting edge so does not penetrate as deeply or as easyily as the Multi Purpose but it makes very nice curls and shavings with out much effort.

Tom Eickenberg likes this.
  20. batmanacw

batmanacw Guide

Blog Posts:
    24" would be sweet

mrhappy85 likes this.