Husqvarna's (New) Camping Axe

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by GregBFL, May 14, 2018.

1. GregBFL

GregBFL Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Has anyone used Husqvarna's (New) Camping Axe? I really like the shape of the head and according to an Amazon vendor it has a 15" handle which is just about perfect to me. It looks a whole lot like the Hultafors - HultsBruks (New) Hultån Hatchet and I think I read somewhere that Hultafors makes the axe heads for Husqvarna. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to the Axe: https://www.husqvarna.com/us/accessories/axes/camping-axe/576926301/#specifications

2. FIELDCRAFTLTC

FIELDCRAFTLTC Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Me like! I have the Husqvarna Carpenters Ax and the hatchet. Might just have to pick this up!!

NattyBo, MrFixIt and Glock Holiday like this.
  3. GregBFL

Blog Posts:
    I've got the Husqvarna Capenter's Axe as well and I really like it. I modified mine by smoothing out the transition from the axe blade bit to the cutting edge using a 4-1/2 in. a 60 Grit and 120 Grit Flap Disc on my grinder. This took a little time because I would make one quick pass and then wait a while to make sure the blade stayed cool. I finished it with a combination of stones until it was just about shaving sharp. The handle was sanded several coats of BLO/Beeswax were put on. The Husky's are a good value and if you do a little bit of work they can become excellent choppers. The new one seems like it would be an excellent pack/camp axe.

MrFixIt and central joe like this.
  4. tobiism

tobiism Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    it's pretty close to the same as the hults bruk almike hatchet. I had that one and thought it was pretty awesome

MrFixIt, GregBFL and central joe like this.
  5. Virgil Grey

Virgil Grey Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Wish they used thinner handles.

MrFixIt likes this.
  6. GregBFL

Blog Posts:
    I agree on the handle. I used my belt sander to thin out my Carpenter's handle in some areas and then finished with some hand sanding. I think it took me about an hour to sand the handle and reprofile the blade section of the head but now I have a axe that is exactly the way I like it for $50. I actually thought it was a fun project.

MrFixIt and Ptpalpha like this.
  7. batmanacw

batmanacw Guide

Blog Posts:
    It would be nice to know the weight

MrFixIt likes this.
  8. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Exactly. Why that seems to be a recurring question with new axes & hatchets is a continual source of irritation for me. Fairly important spec to leave out.
    But I do like the looks of that Husky! As already mentioned, a little elbow grease and it should make a quality chopper.

MrFixIt likes this.
  9. tobiism

tobiism Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If it's basically the same axe, which I believe it is the head weight is one pound

MrFixIt and Ptpalpha like this.
  10. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Nice lookin' hatchet.

11. Glock Holiday

Glock Holiday Scout

Blog Posts:
    I really like the multipurpose axe and I am happy with it. I would be intrested in the camp axe but...
    I also fixed up a Plumb boyscout head and put a longer 16" handle on it. This will be similar to the camp axe. I can get 2 hands on mine or swing it with one hand. I hit the handle with a rasp and left the texture for grip and appearance. IMG_6809.JPG

NattyBo, Ptpalpha and MrFixIt like this.
  12. Ptpalpha

Blog Posts:
    That's a nice Plumb!

Glock Holiday likes this.
  13. 62flint

62flint Scout

Blog Posts:
    If that IS the Husqvarna version of the Almike or Classic Trekking axe with 500gm head, I'll be buying one. I have the heavier Husqvarna hatchet, carpenters axe and general purpose axe, and they are Hults Bruk products with a lesser finish.

Glock Holiday likes this.
  14. Ptpalpha

Blog Posts:
    How would one go about confirming that?

15. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In my opinion, hatchets and small axes can be a disappointment when bought sight unseen, about the only ones that can be counted on to be consistent in my experience are those offered by GB, I've owned new Husky, Collins, Wetterling, and Council Tools hatchets and was disappointed in them for one reason or another which included handles being too thick or too straight, headweights that were too heavy for the length of the handle, and cheeks that were great for splitting but sucked for cutting, limbing, and bucking.
    All of the complaints I listed add up to a tool that is either not balanced correctly or causes arm fatigue and in some cases the possibility for an injury, that said, I understand that we are all built differently and have different levels of strength, some of us have age against us while others are in their prime, so what works well for me may not for someone else, which is why I suggest that if you're going to buy a hatchet or camp axe it would be better if you were able to actually try the heft and feel of it before buying.
    My favorites are my GB Wildlife hatchet, GB SFA, Norlund 26" Canoe axe, Norlund Tomahawk hatchet, a Swedish 26" Hunters axe, and a vintage Plumb 1-1/4# head on a 18" octagon house handle, I also have a Hult bruks 26" boys axe that's a sweet splitter, but the cheeks are too tick to be a good cutter, anything heavier IMHO is not suited for a trail or camp axe.

But Hey, I'm no expert on axes, only on what works for me. :4:

76gt80 likes this.
  16. 62flint

62flint Scout

Blog Posts:
    Husqvarna transitioned from Wetterlings to Hults Bruk some years back. I had both a splitting axe and hunters axe with SAW logos on the heads and Husqvarna handles. My 26" general purpose axe, hatchet, and carpenters axe have Husqvarna logos " hand forged made in Sweden" on them. The Husqvarna carpenters axe is the Hultafors Agdor carpenters axe on a curved handle rather than the Hults Bruk Tibro.

76gt80 and Ptpalpha like this.