Hydration bladder vs bottle

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by JosephDurham, Mar 14, 2019.

1. smokee

smokee Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've used Smartwater water bottles for over 10 years. Rubbery plastic that lasts for years and then I get a couple new ones for $1.50\ea. I tried a bladder once several years back and didn't like it at all for a multitude of reasons. Gave it away almost immediately.

2. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Scout

Blog Posts:
    Didn't read the entire thread but Sawyer has come out with a system that has a variety pack of lids that fit your most popular bottles . Water , narrow and wide mouth stainless bottles with filters to accommodate them (x2) . Looks like something I'd be interested in . I have used my Sawyer products without incident to date . To answer the question , I have a lot of bottles and one bladder compatible pack .

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  3. CountryRoots

CountryRoots As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, what Kronin said!

I first started using a camelback in high school when I would go Mountain biking. From there, I just kept using it. The ease of use for me was a big deal. Cleaning isn’t a big deal if I hang it to dry when I’m done with it.

The other big reason is that none of my packs have a good side pocket for bottles... and I got tired of losing bottles too! It’s hard to lose the hydration reservoir...

4. Nathan H

Nathan H Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I use and like both!

I have the UK Army Issue Bladder, i use that in-conjunction with an Aquamire Frontier Pro water filter, The bladder holds 3 liters and keep me well hydrated when walking around like others have said, the filter means I can fill my bladder up from the river and drink it straight with out boiling it, or i can hang my bladder and use the drip filter feature and passively filter water while i.m doing another task. These are great during warmer months

I also use the Pathfinder Steel bottle and mug, this allows me to biol water to sterilize it, heat water for a brew or even fill my bladder with hot water to be used as a hot water bottle

5. riokid87

riokid87 Scout

Blog Posts:
    This reminds me of when I was a kid and we loaded down our bicycles and headed to the lake.
    Take a leg off a pair of cut off jeans. Sew up both ends and fold it over in half over the frame of the bike right behind the handlebars. Then cut a slot on each side large enough for a 2l pop bottle. Redneck water bottle saddle bags.

Mattexian and JonM like this.