I’d Really Like To Know...

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by IzaWildman, Jul 13, 2019.

?

Do you regularly open carry while out (woods / wilderness)

1. Yes - knife

63 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. Yes - gun

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  3. Yes - both

70 vote(s)
    43.2%
  4. No - knife

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. No - gun

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  6. No - neither

18 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. IzaWildman

IzaWildman Grey Owl Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In light of the ongoing heated thread Are people scared of bushcrafters/woodsmen?, I’d really like to know how many members here openly carry, either a knife, or gun, or both, on a regular basis while in the woods, whether public lands, parks, developed trails or wilderness.

If you are going to reply to this thread, please keep it civil. My purpose for posting is to get a better handle on what “normal” looks like amongst the population BCUSA since opinions vary wildly.

2. Zornt

Zornt Guide

Blog Posts:
    Not allowed to play with guns anymore so I only carry a knife openly in the woods.
    If I were still permitted I would carry a firearm either a .22 pistol or a .357 mag.

3. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I conceal carry a handgun and pocket clip carry a Benchmade or a sub-4" fixed blade, most of the time. A larger blade and folding saw or small axe are in my pack.
    I have never encountered anyone that seemed put off by my equipment on the trail.

Regards,

ezra

4. DKR

DKR Guide

Blog Posts:
  5. dads2vette

dads2vette Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Tough to conceal carry my guns so it's open carry on the ranch. I don't carry anywhere but my property.

dave

6. Sawdustdave

Sawdustdave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't own a gun, and never have even had opportunity to fire one. At the age I'm at, I don't feel the need any longer. But, when I'm at work I have my Kershaw folder in my pocket. Outside of work I often have a knife attached to my belt. None of my "carry" knives have a blade longer than 4 1/2", and no one has ever commented.

Oh, and I keep 4 fishing poles on a rack I build in my truck from spring until first ice in the fall. You know, hunting fish...

7. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    No matter where I am, I always have a Becker BK14 openly carried on my belt and a concealed Glock 26. If I am on my own property I also carry a Judge, openly, for snakes. Yep, on my property I carry both a G26 and a Judge.

Edit: I forgot about my Leatherman. I always have one of those, too. Also adding photo.
    C74263A2-0F15-415E-AAD2-AF92ABAB05E8.jpeg

JohnP

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  8. Jetjr

Jetjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    I didn't vote but here's my answer. In my home state I conceal carry a pistol. Generally I also carry a fixed blade when in the woods, nothing huge or tactical looking. I kind of like being left alone so I don't pay a lot of attention to how others react.

9. pellegrino

pellegrino Much to learn... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Do "yes - knife" & "no -gun" mean the same thing in the poll? As well as "yes - gun" & "no - knife"? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but they may be redundant options?

10. Glenn Rowe

Glenn Rowe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Any time I'm in the wilderness, even just the fringes, I always carry a fixed-blade knife. These days it's on or in my backpack.

I stopped carrying a firearm about 15 years back, more from personal choice than anything else. Back in the day, down in Dixie, I routinely carried a holstered handgun on my left side. I had a CCW permit, btw.

If in the wilderness it was open-carry and on its own belt. Most often it was a .357. If backpacking I used a rig of my own making that dropped the holster down below the hip belt. In both cases I used a tie-down strap to keep things from flopping around (I absolutely HATE floppy or noisy gear!).

So, to help with the tally::4:

These days I don't carry a firearm at all, and don't OC a fixed blade knife.

Back in the day I did OC a firearm in the wilderness, and sometimes did OC a fixed-blade knife in the wilderness.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  11. IzaWildman

Blog Posts:
    You’re right, they are redundant. I wish I could edit the choices but they seem fixed.

12. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I open carry a fixed blade sheath knife (3.5" blade) all day every day, in town or in the field. Nobody here raises an eyebrow. When I carry a firearm, it's concealed, at least in town.

13. bumma

bumma I'm not lost. Just a bit confused. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The OC of the fixed blade is all the time.

I will OC the GP100 in the woods in early Spring. Other than that short time frame I don't carry.

14. McKBrew

McKBrew Roughian #103 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Situationally dependent. The best answer I could choose was yes to both.

It really depends on where I am. In the state park close to home (lots of woods and trails). I don't open carry anything. The farther off the beaten path I get the higher probability that thing will be OC.

I don't get out in to the backcountry as often as I would like so honestly my one handgun spends more time in it's case than anywhere else. (I haven't fired it in a couple years, which also reminds me I need to get out more :). )

15. Black5

Black5 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I OC a Leatherman (knife).
    I sometimes OC a fixed blade 4".
    I have in the past and recently, OC'd a bigger knife.

My wife OCs a fixed blade.

I CC a firearm.
    On my property, I have OC'd under certain situations, a handgun. Or a rifle. Or a shotgun.

Tools. They are just tools.
    We need to quit catering to stranger's fears, and we need to remember individual freedom.

16. isme

isme Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Foothills of the Great Smoky mountains, Tn
    I open carry my knife, conceal carry my handgun.
    The knife is frequently in my hand as I'm working around the camp.
    No one needs to know about the handgun unless totally necessary. My family and friends know it's there, nobody else's business.
    Some area's (where appropriate ) rifle is close to hand. Buddies farm where I frequently hunt, hike, and camp has bears that also travel through the area.
    I'm not trying to scare anybody out there just being prepared.
    just my 2 cents.

17. Lee C.

Lee C. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Everyday.. both. Sometimes several. Of each.

18. IzaWildman

Blog Posts:
    I view the knives I carry first and primarily as tools also. One of the remarks made in the other thread had to do with what is "normal", so this thread isn't about catering to others fears, it is intended to get a closer look at what "normal" looks like. I'm going to carry my knives, within the confines of the law, regardless of what anyone else thinks or does.

Beach Hiker, MrFixIt, isme and 9 others like this.
  19. CreativeRealms

CreativeRealms Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sometimes I'll have a mora on my belt or in my pack while hiking. I don't carry a knife anywhere else because we have metal detectors everywhere and trying to explain why I have one would get annoying. May get a gun for full time open/concealed carry at some point but not sure when.

Beach Hiker, MrFixIt, isme and 6 others like this.
  20. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have often mentioned that I carry a fixed blade every day, right in plain view. When I stop at the courthouse for permits or taxes or such, I just take my knife out of the sheath and leave it in the truck. The sheath hangs below my shirt and is easily visible, but no one has ever questioned me about having it.

When I am in the woods, my Ruger is at my hip. Right in sight. If I had a pocket gun, I would probably carry it in my back pocket.

Beach Hiker, Lichen, MrFixIt and 9 others like this.
  21. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    Can't you get a concealed carry permit even if you don't have a handgun? Will a concealed carry permit allow you to carry a concealed knife?

Beach Hiker, MrFixIt, isme and 5 others like this.
  22. fatcat55

fatcat55 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I sometimes open carry handgun on private property and sometimes CC on public trails but not in state parks.
    Don't OC knives unless it's a machete while working on private property.

23. CreativeRealms

CreativeRealms Tracker

Blog Posts:
    How the law works where I live is folding blades you can carry pretty much without an issue so long as there is no locking mechanism but fixed blades are not allowed unless you can prove that you are using them in a legal manner. So if I have tons of camping gear on me and I have a knife on my belt it's obvious why I have it and no one will stop me but if I tried bringing a knife into a mall or something people would ask questions. I don't know if the open/concealed gun license applies to knives as well.

24. Glenn Rowe

Blog Posts:
    Everywhere I've checked, a concealed carry permit is issued for one specific firearm, by description and serial number. Again in the places I've checked, you can add other firearms to it by description and serial number (sometimes for an additional fee). This does not say or imply that it's the same way everywhere; it may not be.

Regarding the knife, I haven't a clue.

Beach Hiker, MrFixIt, Juicin and 6 others like this.
  25. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    In my AO I open carry a P220 or 1911 and 3"-4' fixed blade.

26. Glenn Rowe

Blog Posts:
    Regarding knives, the California law is pretty clear. As long as it is (1) single-edged, and (2) in plain sight on your belt, you can open-carry a fixed blade knife of any length. There are exceptions, of course, such as government buildings, courthouses, etc. They generally don't bother about folders unless they're otherwise illegal (switchblades, butterfly knives, double-edged, etc.). However, even a sharpened swedge is enough to classify a blade as double-edged.

Beach Hiker, MrFixIt, isme and 4 others like this.
  27. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    Here's a friend. She lives in Kodiak. He was one of my daughter's best friend in school. Many would be pleasantly surprised if they knew who her grandfather is.

[​IMG]

Beach Hiker, MrFixIt, isme and 6 others like this.
  28. OiMcCoy

OiMcCoy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Canadian laws mean no hand guns. Also any knife larger than 3" can not be concealed.

I typically have a belt knife on. In canoe season it's a pocket folder and my rescue knife on my PFD.

Either way, neither are for self defense. I feel very lucky to live, work and camp in a part of the world where I do not feel any need to be armed. Nor would I ever want to Cary the extra weight of a firearm and ammo.

I am going to be getting my fire arm license this fall so I can guide trips in polar bear country next year. But even then I will probably be cursing having to lug around 7-10 extra lbs, especially when I am the only one that can carry it.

29. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:

Not the case in Idaho, CCW permit issued by our state grants a person to carry any firearm concealed. But as of July last year all citizens of Idaho can legally conceal carry without a permit as long as they don't have a disqualifying criminal background. And open carry has always been legal without a permit in Idaho.

Beach Hiker, MrFixIt, isme and 7 others like this.
  30. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yes to both. Any time I'm anywhere I'm carrying. Usually concealed around town.

I open carry a knife everywhere all the time. I never considered it "open carrying, just carrying a knife.

In the woods I open carry a handgun, except in state parks where I'm forced to Conceal.

Beach Hiker, MrFixIt, Torrin and 7 others like this.
  31. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    Going about my daily business I OC a 4" S&W Model 19 .357 Magnum. In the woods I might OC a Ruger Bearcat.

Not where I live. Concealed Handgun Permit allows CC of any handgun. OC requires no government permission.

Beach Hiker, MrFixIt, Torrin and 8 others like this.
  32. Oldguy59

Oldguy59 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I checked both but not alway. When hiking I tend to keep guns concealed there maybe a knife on the pack. During hunting season guns knives, bow all open.

33. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    Bearcats are sweet little guns. :)

34. wallflash

wallflash Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I carry both, knives in pockets and on belt , gun usually in pocket of cargo shorts but in backpack if I end up with shorts without a big enough pocket or in blue jeans during cold weather

This selection wasn’t available above, and to click no to any might be interpreted as not carrying at all .

35. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Scout

Blog Posts:
    To clarify, if I'm in "deep woods" I'm not expecting others, and concealing a large frame is harder, especially with a pack, etc. so I will often open carry a N frame Smith or 5" 1911. A 22 rifle is strapped up, or carried in my hands.

If I'm on public trails, parks, etc, then I will CC a 1911 of some sort some way, depending on other gear carried. Most often a shoulder rig, safe packer, or HPG chest rig.

36. IzaWildman

Blog Posts:
    Not in North Carolina

37. IzaWildman

Blog Posts:
    Since the controversy seems to be over carrying openly, the poll was to determine what the norm is, within our community, regarding open carry.

38. ReallyBigMonkey1

ReallyBigMonkey1 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a Mora on my belt every where I go. I can't carry a gun in a lot of the places I hike and camp due to the dnr. They see you packing and it's an instant arrest for non permitted out of season hunting. Doesn't matter if you say you're only hiking. They are that unreasonable.

39. wallflash

Blog Posts:

10-4 . Then I am a no. I hide the gun, but OC at least one fixed blade .

40. IzaWildman

Blog Posts:
    That makes you a yes - knife ;), you may change your vote if you wish.

41. wallflash

Blog Posts:
    OK will do

42. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yep, if I am outside my yard, I will have at least one handgun and one knife. Knife is in my pocket if I am dressed. :4: Handgun is concealed or not, depending on what I am doing. I really don’t care what others think, as long as what I am doing is legal. Their problem, not mine. :14:

Not the case in Nevada. Permit to carry, I decide what to carry when I do it.

Beach Hiker, MrFixIt, Torrin and 9 others like this.
  43. ezra45

Blog Posts:
    It is truly annoying that some localities trample upon God-given rights of law-abiding,tax paying citizens.Generally, the people that come up with these laws and statutes are both protected by security and are from the stratus of American society that does not camp, fish, hunt or otherwise recreate in the outdoors. Typically their most challenging task is removing a hangnail or fund-raising for the upcoming election so that they can continue to enjoy their power over the common citizens.

Not allowing a 3-4" locking blade knife in locations other than bars and government offices by law abiding citizens and concealed carry of a firearm after extensive background checks is a true trampling of rights. That right guarantees the right NOT to carry for those who do not wish to , as well. Vote,vote,vote.

ezra

44. ezra45

Blog Posts:
    @NevadaBlue...and what do you carry if you are...not dressed....?:eek:

ezra

45. Kelly W

Kelly W Love the Axe Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I carried a gun everyday of my life until I almost took one with it. I worked to remove the feeling of being threatened and find that unless I travel afar or very late at night alone I'm confident in my ability to protect myself in most situations. Taking a life is a very serious decision and unless you know you can do it and accept the responsibility of the aftermath carry only your smarts with ya. I made that choice and it is surprising how much easier it is.

46. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    In Virginia, the carry permit is a CHP - Concealed Handgun Permit so only covers concealed handguns, and yes, you need not even own a handgun to be issued a CHP, but I have no idea why you would.

47. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I'm a "both", but it depends. Much of the time it's more what is referred to as "casual carry". If it's cool enough out to wear a cover garment, e.g., a vest, I'm CC. If it's warm enough out that a cover garment would be too heavy, I'm OC. No grandstanding. No deep political statement. Just convenience. Fortunately, around here, no one really cares. I've never had a bad encounter on the trail or in the woods while OC. Even when my kids have their friends over and their parents drop them off I've never even had anybody mention it.

The only even minor incident was when I was at a convenience store buying snacks for a bunch of Girl Scouts who were working on a project. There was a dad tourist with his three daughters also buying snacks. The one girl needed to get past me and asked to be excused very nicely and even called me "sir". So, when he came over to get his kids I complimented him on how polite his daughter was. I guess it was at that point he must have seen my pistol, because he scooped the girls up and moved them along hastily. Either that or he is frightened of people that compliment politeness. I'm really not certain of which.

Oh, and in PA we do not have a CCW. We have a License To Carry Firearms (LTCF). It only pertains to firearms. Knives, up to and including machetes and swords, need no authorization to carry, openly or concealed, provided that they aren't classified as "prohibited offensive weapons", e.g., switchblades, gravity knives and not much more. OC without permit is the law in 66 of the 67 counties. Only in Philadelphia county do you need a LTCF to carry openly. Also, all knives are prohibited in Philly unless it is possessed for use at work AND YOU ARE WORKING. There isn't even a provision for getting to and from work. Needless to say, I don't visit Philly unless necessary.

48. Bob_Spr

Bob_Spr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    GA has a Conceal Weapons License that permits concealed carry of firearms and knifes with a blade over 12 inches long (under 12 does not require a license).

49. Nakadnu

Nakadnu OBSERVER Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When I am "in the woods" I usually wear a fixed blade and a handgun in plain sight unless I have a coat on over them.
    If I may,
    Whenever I see someone I don't know with a big knife or a gun my first instinct is to evaluate the situation and decide if they are a threat or not. This takes about .5 seconds. I think this is a normal response for most people. Next I look at their knife, gun, sheath, holster etc. Not because I am scared but because I am interested in guns and knives and carry options. I think some people notice me looking at their gear and take it as fear rather than curiosity.
    It is really no different than looking at someone's nice pickup, jewelry etc.
    It's too bad, but for a lot of people guns and knives are seen as weapons and not tools.

Beach Hiker, MrFixIt, Torrin and 8 others like this.
  50. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Enough... ;)