I’d Really Like To Know...

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by IzaWildman, Jul 13, 2019.

?

Do you regularly open carry while out (woods / wilderness)

1. Yes - knife

63 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. Yes - gun

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  3. Yes - both

70 vote(s)
    43.2%
  4. No - knife

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. No - gun

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  6. No - neither

18 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. VikingWilderness

VikingWilderness Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just posted in the trip report, but I got back from an outing this morning. I carried my gun in and I carried it right back out. It gives me a piece of mind no other tool can give me. No knife, spray, or self defense techniques can protect you the same way a firearm does. I don't open carry it of course. But its always with me accessible and usually within arms reach. I also carry a knife, but not for protection.

Cheers

2. S.Decker

S.Decker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't think you want to go through the rest of your life, with that picture, in your mind.:26: Better let it go, before it's too late.

MrFixIt, WY_Not, central joe and 3 others like this.
  3. S.Decker

S.Decker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I OC a belt knife, every day. I CC a handgun, when I feel it necessary to do so.

4. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a gun on me in the woods ever since the attack by feral dogs. Not always a fixed blade but mostly it is. Always at least a folding knife though. Sometimes the gun is concealed, sometimes open carried. Most of the time the woods gun is a .22lr. but sometimes I carry a centerfire.

5. woodsranger

woodsranger Solitude Seeker

Blog Posts:
    I'd rather not say.

So, you're probably wondering why I bothered to respond at all.

Well...

...I'd rather not say. o_O

6. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I do not want anybody to know what I am carrying. It is also illegal to carry hand guns in CT State Parks and Forests. Knives under 4" are legal.

central joe, JeffG and buckfynn like this.
  7. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been known to open carry a few things while in the woods.

bow hike.jpg

8. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm guessing that a shirt wasn't among them.

:D

Kona9, MrFixIt, central joe and 9 others like this.
  9. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The sight of my hairy, bare chest is usually all I need to thwart any possible 4 or 2 legged menaces while in the bush. If that fails I resort to gun, bow and then knife (in that order). :rolleyes:

MrFixIt, Torrin, central joe and 9 others like this.
  10. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
    On normal work days and weekends I pocket carry a folding knife-an Opinel#8. Out working in the woods I may have a machete in hand or nearby and while deer hunting I belt carry a hunting knife and a 12ga.in hand. Maybe some folks are more afraid or watchful for their safety day to day but the good Lord knows how many days I have and I don't think he is to busy watching everything else to forget about me and you. For those who have other convictions this is the USofA and I stand by your right to think otherwise on a whole lot of things that the Constitution says we have the right to do.

11. Akela

Akela Scout

Blog Posts:
    I chose not to vote because my mode of carry varies quite a bit depending on the day's weather and temps, season, etc...

No offense to anyone, but I just plain refuse to "do" Parks anymore.
    I do State and Federal Forests, Wilderness Areas, and some private timber company lands that allow "reasonable" access (from a "normal" western rural mindset)... because now, I don't encounter anyone carrying the urban-metro mindset "chip" on their shoulder that made me decide "No more Parks for me".
    At the moment, I'm lucky to have property that borders a multiple-use 110,000-acre State forest that has few public access points, and the closest access points are a very comfortable number of miles away.
    So on the very rare occasion that I happen to encounter another individual (usually an energetic youngish hunter who enjoys pussy-footing cautiously along the deer, black bear and elk trails that wander through the stands of timber and open brush pockets), we can have a good pleasurable conversation if and when we choose to speak, and no one gives a royal rats-a$$ about how we carry anything that we happen to have chosen to carry for that day.
    My chosen shift completely away from Parks allows me to really enjoy the many reasons why I choose to be out and about in the woodlands in the first place.
    And yes, I know I'm a very lucky man. :)

12. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman

Blog Posts:
    I almost always carry a fixed blade on my belt while in the woods. I don't really consider that "open carry". I don't consider a knife a weapon anyways, so it seems weird to use that term. I just call it a belt knife. Sometimes my shirt halfway covers it, sometimes it doesn't. Somtimes I carry horizontally and my shirt fully covers it. I don't really care how visible it is, and it has never scared anyone. I have friendly conversations with other hikers all the time.

I don't open carry guns (though I have done it maybe once in the woods), but have hiked with friends who are open carrying. We got comments from other hikers once or twice. They said "What do you think of that Glock? I've got a couple of XDs, but I'm thinking about buying a Glock, too."

ETA: Maybe I just live in a good state? Here, permit holders are allowed to carry guns in any park or public land, and any knife of any type or size is legal to carry both in the woods and in public (autos, bowies, you name it). People don't seem to be very scared of those things around here.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  13. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman

Blog Posts:
    No offense taken, but it does make me a bit sad for you. Some of the best places I have ever been are parks. I would have hated to miss out.

14. doulos

doulos Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Knife yes, gun almost never. I carry concealed 24/7. Why give away your tactical advantage? :18:

MrFixIt, ezra45, central joe and 5 others like this.
  15. DixiePreparedness

DixiePreparedness Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Are you kidding ????
    I carry THREE knives... pocket, folder, and a mora.... open carry a large pistol, and concealed carry a small pistol...... JUST TO GO TO WALMART

16. JeffG

JeffG Guide

Blog Posts:
    I encounter very few, to no people in the woods. I open carry constantly, and sometimes have my Yugo 8mm Mauser rifle with me. Just because. Having said that, it is my feeling that (legally) carrying concealed, is a position of advantage. That is, I decide if and when a firearm will be brought into a scenario. I wouldn't open carry, say, in town. I feel if somebody is motivated to find a gun, I would be a target for an assault to gain my gun. I can be all macho about that, and expound how I would violently defend myself; but the truth is, I don't need that crappola.

As far as intimidating fellow outdoor enthusiasts by wearing open carry tools, you're gonna have to judge for yourself how that's gonna be handled. Things have changed so much even in the last 10 years, I have my own set of rules, and playing my cards close is one of them.

17. Stags Crest

Stags Crest Crafty McBushcraft Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Since you asked about in the woods specifically I'll answer specifically. Yes I do open carry in the woods if I am in a wild area. In a public wooded park? No. Depending on the local predators presence I may even have a long gun. I have a CCW and I believe that on a day to day basis it is wisest to conceal but in the woods away from civilization I want it known that I have a means to defend myself and perhaps it would deter an evildoer, also super quick access for defense against large predators.

MrFixIt, Torrin, central joe and 3 others like this.
  18. jackpine

jackpine Fire? I don't see any fire!? Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    TBH in the last few years (5?) all issues I’ve come across have been handled with a walking stick or firm words.

I’ll carry a knife because I use it all day but unless I’m hunting a gun just gets in the way.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  19. Stags Crest

Stags Crest Crafty McBushcraft Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is true! 90% of confrontations can be handled verbally. In a confrontation sometimes people can be their own worst enemy by letting their ego dictate the direction of contact. A firm smooth spoken individual with a clarity of voice and intent will usually never have to go past the verbal conversation.

20. Luke Dupont

Luke Dupont Scout

Blog Posts:
    My personal views:

1. Depends where I am. Japan, America, or some other country. Also, it depends on the local circumstances (how many people are wandering about, etc.)
    Examples:
    In Japan, I would not open carry any cutting tool unless it is a particularly rural place and I have a reason for being there. A campsite? Sure. Hiking Mt. Takao along with a big crowd? Absolutely not.
    In America, much the same. There are just too many people who might take unnecessary offense -- maybe even more-so than Japan, regardless of the law.
    Laws happen to be, no matter where you are, largely subjective, and applied largely arbitrarily, and only when somebody is "offended" or scared. You can be doing something totally legal, but if someone around doesn't like it and feels uncomfortable, or just wants to exercise control, you'll still find yourself in some amount of trouble, possibly with legal consequences -- it doesn't matter who's right, only who is offended enough to take action.
    If you're out in the middle of nowhere where very few people are, and you're doing something natural/not suspicious looking, nobody will ever mess with you. If the culture in the area is also open and accepting, nobody will mess with you. Even in more restrictive places like Japan, in the ruralist of places, people often think nothing of carrying hand axes strapped to their belt when out. But do that in Tokyo and you'll be quickly arrested even if hand axes don't typically classify as restricted weapons. Just use common sense and lots of discretion -- notice what others are doing and keep a low profile.

2. What do you call a weapon, and for what purpose? If you're worried about people, a solid wooden staff / walking stick is a pretty good alternative. If you're worried about bears, bear spray works, unless you're in California where it's a felony to carry around (yikes! It's even legal here in Japan... And a felony at that??). A folding knife is not a weapon. A fixed blade knife is something that might be employed against bears in a truly last ditch effort, but not at all ideal for human threats. A reliable hand gun, either concealed or open carried, along with extensive training in actually using it under stress(!), is an excellent all around option if it's legal in your country/state/situation, but as I said earlier, if people see it and don't like it, you'll find yourself in trouble regardless of the law, so there is some legal risk to take into account, even when you are well within your rights.

Basically, don't upset sensitive people. There's a lot of not so nice people who are insecure and will do everything in their power to make your life miserable if you provoke them. The more public the place, the more of these people you will be confronted by. It's best not to draw attention in those circumstances.

JeffG and morganbw like this.
  21. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In town, I CCW concealed and have a knife in my pocket. In the woods the knife is in the open and the may be CCW (50/50 chance of OC or CC). Pepper spray is close at hand in the woods (Montana).

MrFixIt, JeffG, central joe and 2 others like this.
  22. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    Because we're not ambushing anyone. Deterring others is an effective "tactic" too. Imprisoned felons have stated in interviews they most feared an armed mark and that if they suspected an intended mark to be armed, they'd seek another mark.

23. Black5

Black5 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Basically, don't upset sensitive people. There's a lot of not so nice people who are insecure and will do everything in their power to make your life miserable if you provoke them. The more public the place, the more of these people you will be confronted by. It's best not to draw attention in those circumstances.
    @Luke Dupont

I, for one, am really tired of being expected to alter my normal and legal behaviors in order to cater to others, when they are not willing to reciprocate.
    I don't intentionally provoke people. But there sure seems to be an abundance of people willing to provoke me by putting their noses where they don't belong.

I apologise to the OP for provoking by disagreement.

Poppy Jay Jay, MrFixIt, JeffG and 7 others like this.
  24. Gruxxx

Gruxxx NRA Endowment Life Member Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I carry a concealed handgun and a folding knife clipped in my pocket all the time. Both are immediately available. When I head to the woods, I add a fixed blade knife that I generally keep in my pack out of carrying convenience, since only a gun or a knife fit in the same place on my hip, or because a backpack belt tends to interfere with carrying anything on my pants belt. Excluding my folding knife's clip always being visible, I checked, "No, neither."

While I carry concealed, it is possible that some people have quietly noticed my gun printing under my shirt or when my shirt has ridden up over the grip. That happens a lot on my mountain bike. There was only one time I recall someone noticing. I hopped out of my truck to head into a pizza shop and my T-shirt had ridden up over the grip of my 1911. One of the patrons looked at me funny, and when I realized why, I simply tugged my shirt back down and said, "Wardrobe malfunction." That was that. I do open carry a fixed blade while hunting, working on projects around the house, around camp, etc., just generally not while I'm hiking for the practical reasons mentioned.

[Sidebar] A few people have commented on laws in their state. In Pennsylvania, we have a License to Carry Firearms, as @Sandcut mentioned, which allows you to transport and carry a loaded handgun except in the usually prohibited places. It is not tied to firearm ownership so you can carry any handgun or multiple guns at once if you'd like, openly carried or concealed. Over 1.2 million PA residents have LTCFs, or about 10% of the population. Potter County holds the most per capita, with over 50% of the adult residents holding a LTCF. As he also pointed out, we have very few knife restrictions as well. We don't have constitutional carry, but overall, Pennsylvania is one of the freer states.

25. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Knife, yes. Gun during hunting season. But ya can bet yer last sip of apple juice I got a gun on me somewhere. Don't brag and don't show. joe

MrFixIt, JeffG, GreyOne and 4 others like this.
  26. Sandcut

Blog Posts:

Yep! Isn't it wonderful!

Good point on the LTCF not being tied to a particular firearm. I was gonna address that, but forgot to, so thanks for addressing that.

It depends on which statistics you view regarding the # of people/county with a LTCF. Typically, you see it compared to the entire population and not just those folks who qualify due to age. I saw one recently that only addressed 21 years and older and the %age increased dramatically. I think Potter Co. was at like 55-57% and Wayne Co., where I live, was at over 1 person in 3 having an LTCF. Judging from talking to my neighbors, I'd say that's about right.

MrFixIt, JeffG, GreyOne and 3 others like this.
  27. wallflash

wallflash Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

I would say this is a two way street . Some carry because they perceive potential threats and wish to be prepared for them , quite often with the threat level being near zero . Some who don’t carry see potential threats in the guy standing around them openly displaying a gun , which in terms of potential is the more obvious threat . But people who do carry refuse to see that the concerns of those that don’t are the same as theirs . The safety of themselves and their families .

JeffG and central joe like this.
  28. Black5

Blog Posts:
    Look. I'm not getting into your open carry of a gun "discussion" on this thread.

Go to a gun forum where there are plenty of zealots you can argue with.

I simply stated I'm tired of having people tell me how I should conform to their ideology while ignoring my rights.

And this forum is beginning to slant that way as evidenced by some recent threads.

MrFixIt, JeffG, GreyOne and 2 others like this.
  29. colrbh

colrbh Scout

Blog Posts:
    Never leave my house without a firearm, knife, gi triangular bandage, and my k&m matchsafe just an old habit.

30. wallflash

wallflash Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

Not trying to restart an argument, just giving a different perspective to it .

JeffG, central joe and NevadaBlue like this.
  31. Scarywoody

Scarywoody Scout

Blog Posts:
    I live in Georgia and in the park where I like to hike and walk the dogs open carry is quite common. I prefer to conceal carry as I want no advantage given that I am well armed.

32. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I agree with you in principle and practice really. I carry concealed most of the time. It isn’t anyone’s business but mine, so I keep it private. In the woods or where ‘people’ aren’t thick, I carry on my belt. But, if I feel like it, the open carry is legal and my choice. I do see folks in Walmart and other places like that who open carry and it doesn’t seem to create a stir. Of course, where I live, it is different from many places.

MrFixIt, JeffG, GreyOne and 2 others like this.
  33. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    After reading through these posts again, I am struck that no one has posted about the principle I adhere to in public, that of the Gray Man. I do not agree that open carry is a deterrent, at least not in my area. I believe strongly in live and let live and I want to be left alone. Projecting an aura of confidence in all that one does will greatly enhance one's safety.
    I believe in self-sufficiency and friendliness and keeping my nose out of others business. I expect the same of others. Situational awareness is a better choice than hoping that open carry will deflect aggression, IMHO.
    I have availed myself of defensive handgun training and practice on my range and at my club. Open carry, in some extreme circumstances can be viewed as brandishing and I avoid that by carrying concealed. I do believe in not giving away a tactical advantage but others may have a different view. If I have to draw my pistol, it will be because no other option is available to me, including running in the opposite direction. No shame in living for another day and allowing the other person the same option.

Regards,

ezra

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    MrFixIt, JeffG, NevadaBlue and 5 others like this.
  34. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yer doin' it wrong! All ya'll.

35. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    Many Americans these days seek to be offended. Some go out of their way in their search. Doesn't matter what you do or don't do, those types can easily find what they seek. They are extremely unresilient people.

36. Juicin

Juicin Tracker Banned

Blog Posts:
    Folding knife poking out of my pocket in urban areas/work, with a leatherman wave on my belt if it's needed.

Normally ~4" fixed blade on my hip when out in the wild or on my own property. An axe/hatchet strapped to something if it's cold

MrFixIt, JeffG and Black5 like this.
  37. Luke Dupont

Luke Dupont Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's a perfectly reasonable stance, and sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't help that more people adopt it. But, you also have to be prepared to fight with a lot of those aforementioned sensitive people. In the end, I don't know if it helps or hardens general opposition/oppression, and I don't know that it's worth the headache. I really don't want to deal with entitled or sensitive people, so I keep a low profile. But, if you're inclined to stand up for your rights, and you're respectful of the law, by all means, set a good example! My advice definitely isn't the end all be all, and even I get frustrated with my own way of handling things at times.

In reality, I rather avoid people as much as possible, period. Then I don't need to keep a low profile or risk confrontation, and can just do my own thing in peace. That's the best of all.

38. Black5

Blog Posts:
    I try to stay away from people also, but I do like the money my professional job affords.

So, I find myself surrounded by the more genteel types for the work week, until I can retreat to the real world.

Poppy Jay Jay, JeffG and Luke Dupont like this.
  39. Luke Dupont

Luke Dupont Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's basically what I was trying to get at. :33:

But, to be fair, it is all extremely situationally/culturally dependant. Many places in America, one can still open carry without much worry. And there are times when open carry is a deterrent, and times when it's a detriment.

I personally chose to follow the "Gray man" concept as well, though -- especially in places like Japan and over seas, where one already stands out and may not have a complete grasp of what is the cultural norm. It's a good way to protect one's, and other people's rights, too. IE: if you do something that people don't like, such as, I don't know, pitch a tarp and make a fire in a place where it might be technically okay to camp, but it's a gray area, and there are lots of people who might see you and might not like what you're doing, you can expect at some point in the future to find a "No camping" sign put up, whereas if you had practiced more discretion and stayed out of sight, you wouldn't have "provoked" someone to put up yet more red tape in a world that is becoming increasingly taped off.

JeffG likes this.
  40. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    While I understand what you are saying, relying on being warned by slow visual progression in threat level while attempting to determine if producing a deadly weapon and evaluate if it is an appropriate escalation of the force continuum is tantamount to academic disasterbation which is better off left in the security of attorney's offices and beer halls, because it has bupkus to do with real violence. If the bad guy or animal is signalling that badly, they're doing it wrong.

As someone who has been attacked by dogs, I'll assure you that sometimes, you don't even have time to backpeddle to try to.get away, let alone dig in a pocket for a knkfe or in your pack for a.gun or spray.. There's no guarantee you'd even get your gun drawn if you were OC. But every fraction of a second counts and cover garments add seconds when you can least afford it.

There's nothing to say that having thst same airof confidence and congeniality won't overcome peoples' apprehensions upon spying an OCed sidearm. I find that a friendly greeting like "How you folks doin' today! The blackflies leave you with any blood?" Between that and wanting to let my dog, I've NEVER had an issue on the trail.

There are many reasons why people OC. And yes, some folks like to think of themselves as John Wick. I'm sorry that they represent gun owners, but that's lart kf the price of freedom. But there.are those of us who also believe that a right not practiced is soon lost through attrition. One aspect of regularly OCing is the concept of "normalizing" the sight of regular people, who just happen to be carrying a sidearm, doing regular, every day things. All the while not homiciding anyone. And having OCed in some form or another for around 10 of the 13+ years that I've been aware of the OC "movement" (if there is such a thing), what I can say is that this lractice does actually work to desensitize people to the fear of seeing someone carrying a holstered sidearm.

As I mentioned upthread, I've had numerous parents, that I had never met before, drop their kids off.at my place to play while I've been weedwhacking, mowing the lawn, spreading mulch, roasting marshmallows, and serving snacks on movie nights. Never had an issue. Most people don't even notice (people are VERY unobservant). But those who have haven't had much of an issue, mostly because I'm a pretty nice guy and not very threatening while making S'mores and cutting pizza.

People view the world based on their own experiences, but also based on their own phobias and paranoias. It is irrational to conduct oneself based on the paranoia of those who are themselves irrational, as you cannot ever find reason with the irrational. So, why even attempt it? It is a losing proposition before you ever start.

But seriously stop to contemplate the affect that viewing OCers doing boring stuff can have. If I hadn't witnessed the change in public opinion in PA for myself, I probably wouldn't believe it. But there it is.

It is nice having a civil discussion about it with you, so thanks!

GrayGhost, Luke Dupont, JeffG and 2 others like this.
  41. fishiker

fishiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I deleted my long opinionated response and will replace it with yes I always openly carry a fixed blade when in the woods/wilderness. I also always carry a firearm but it's normally concealed.

JeffG, NevadaBlue and buckfynn like this.
  42. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Exactly!

JeffG likes this.
  43. John from Alberta

John from Alberta Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is me also, I had never heard the term "open carry" in relation to a knife until reading the other post that this was spawned from. I've never considered a knife a weapon, anymore than a hatchet or a hammer (although obviously I understand it can be used as one, just as much as the hatchet or hammer). I'm sure that's partially because of my local culture (growing up in Ranch/cowboy country and hiking since I was able to walk). I was given my first SAK when I was probably 5 or 6 and so having a knife was super normal. I carry a folder everyday in my pocket for work, but when I'm in the woods I always have my mora on my belt, seems super inconvenient to have it anywhere else.

As for guns, in Canada it's illegal to carry handguns anywhere but to and from the range (so I didn't bother to get my restricted license), but I'll carry my .22 rifle on my pack or with the sling when I'm woods bumming, not for protection, but because I enjoy plinking. Shooting in the woods is pretty normal where I go out (just ask @Mfraser161 :) ), so not many people are gonna look twice if you're carrying a rifle or shotgun.

44. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    Lizzie Borden called for you while you were out.

45. John from Alberta

Blog Posts:
    See , now here's where the internet breaks down, because I'm not sure whether you're just trying to be funny, or attempting to create a false idea that I may be naive to the fact that axes/hatchets can be used as weapons. So it's hard to know how to respond to such a vague comment.

JeffG, Mfraser161 and NevadaBlue like this.
  46. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    I think that statement about knives not being weapons spawned that reply. Knives have been weapons as long as they have been around. They can be useful tools, same as guns, but they ARE weapons. Therefore the discussion of open and concealed carry and all the silly rules and laws that people dream up.

JeffG likes this.
  47. Mfraser161

Mfraser161 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Oh yeah !
    I carry my M1a , my M7 bayonet , sometimes I’ll strap my 590a1 on the side of my pack as well , bandoleer of 12 gauge shells as well as two Osprey pouches with m1 mags in them and an extra 100 odd rounds in my pack ..I’m a walking talking one man goddamn platoon:dblthumb:
    Never been bothered by anyone for it either ..wonder why:54:
    Realistically though I take my rifle and shotgun , ammo etc and set up some targets in the bush and shoot in peace. Most of the frequented shooting spots have become overrun by idiots out there and I’m happier to hike off and find my own spot.
    I don’t carry any of that stuff specifically as a “weapon” but it’s all there if I needed it , I carry bear spray as well and would much rather use that than shoot a bear unnecessarily.
    My bayonet I take because it makes a good hammer lol
    I have an Adamas folder I use for cutting anything that needs cutting.
    If it comes down to it I’ve got enough stabby and bangey things to put up a good fight if I had to:50:

JeffG and John from Alberta like this.
  48. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I carry both knife and gun everywhere I go every day. If I can't take a gun and knife there, I don't need to be there. However they are not usually carried in open fashion.

barkoguru and JeffG like this.
  49. John from Alberta

Blog Posts:
    I think that comment may have been incorrectly misconstrued as a universal statement about knives. My intent was to state that I personally never considered them as weapons any more than a hatchet or hammer (them being the kind of knife most of us would carry on our belt). Again, I imagine this is partly because of how/where I have grown up, it's clear from the tone of many, many threads and posts here (including this one) that much of the membership here feels the need to carry weapons on their person no matter where they are, that's just not the case for me, and never has been, knives have always been a tool. Never once have I considered carrying a knife for safety reasons, and I don't know anyone that does, inside the city or out in the woods. When I carry a knife, it is 100% a tool. This doesn't mean I don't understand that they CAN be used as a weapon, as I said in my first post. Maybe I misunderstood the purpose of this thread, I assumed it was to gauge the normalcy of open carrying a knife or gun as a weapon, and although I open carry a knife, it's not at all for the purpose of a weapon. I'm not judging anyone who does, and I didn't expect anyone here to judge me either.

I think we would all agree that it is intent that decides whether something is a weapon or not. Scissors only become a weapon when the intent is to stab someone with them, a car becomes a weapon when it is driven into a crowd, a river becomes a weapon when someone is held under it, but up until then they are all just "things". My mora companion was not designed as a weapon, and I don't carry it as such, but of course it can be used as one, so can my snaring wire (so watch out if I'm behind you and I don't like what you're saying.) ;)

bluecow, barkoguru, JeffG and 3 others like this.
  50. JOttum

JOttum Nights Watch Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    When I'm headed out in the wild I carry my Turley Green River on my belt. If I'm in town for a quick trip I cover it. Dont have a handgun atm but it would be concealed when worn except out in deep country.

JeffG likes this.