I’d Really Like To Know...

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by IzaWildman, Jul 13, 2019.

?

Do you regularly open carry while out (woods / wilderness)

1. Yes - knife

63 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. Yes - gun

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  3. Yes - both

70 vote(s)
    43.2%
  4. No - knife

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. No - gun

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  6. No - neither

18 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    See, this is what is so quirky about regional variations in habits, expectations, laws and behaviors. Although openly carrying a holstered sidearm in public will generally not even raise an eyebrow in most of Pennsylvania, a person walking around with a rifle slung would be viewed to be odd if not suspect, even in the woods, if it were outside of the major hunting seasons. And all the while, it would be lawful to do so. In some cases, our state Game Commission would/could view it as prima facie evidence of hunting outside of season and seek charges for such an act.

It just don't make no sense!

2. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm in Arizona so it's unusual to see someone without a gun on them.

buckfynn, JeffG and M.Hatfield like this.
  3. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    The comment was because Lizzie Borden used a hatchet/ax to murder.

That said, be wary of people, not tools. People can use nearly anything as a weapon. You can kill another with a wood pencil or slit their throat with a sharpened credit card.

Midwest.Bushlore, WY_Not and JeffG like this.
  4. JeffG

JeffG Guide

Blog Posts:
    Exactly. If you wear a visible knife, you are a monster looking for a fight, or a victim. If you conceal it to spare people their outrage, you are a criminal. :rolleyes:

When I teach CCW, I say this about knives, " A knife is an instrument to which it's used for. If you are slicing onions, it's a tool. If you are stabbing someone, even in self-defense, it's a weapon."

Anti firearms people tend to point to crimes committed with firearms, by mentally deranged people; then try to make the connection that legal firearms owners are somehow mentally deranged by the fact that they own firearms. Hogwash. :50:

buckfynn likes this.
  5. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If I am camping I do open carry a fixed blade knife around camp and I always have a fixed blade knife around my neck and since the blade is under 4 inches it is not considered concealed carry in Montana.

As to firearms I rarely open carry and never conceal carry, just can not bring myself to lugging around a firearm unless it is hunting season or we are camping in an area that I need a little night time reassurance becauses of higher than normal grizzly bear numbers.

JeffG likes this.
  6. jswi2374

jswi2374 Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I carry a SAK in a small nylon pouch on my belt. I've carried it almost every day for the last 25 years... more than half my life. I've been asked about the contents of that pouch maybe five times, and never in the last ten years. Until I pull something out of that pouch, it's just an extension of my hip and gets no notice at all. Libraries, schools, police stations, it's invisible.

JeffG and buckfynn like this.
  7. shoggoth80

shoggoth80 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Knife of some kind, every time.
    Side arm: occasionally, but I don't like to advertise firearms to the general public.

JeffG likes this.
  8. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    This is very true in the Upper Peninsula too, at least around my area. I often see folks open carry and it doesn't seem strange to me. But if I saw someone walking down the road with a long gun, I'd look twice.

Sandcut, JeffG and buckfynn like this.
  9. chansta

chansta keeper of the flame Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is an interesting thread. I have a knife on my person in the woods at all times. I own 3 guns and have been considering taking the shotgun into the woods for trips and overnights. I think it would help me sleep better. I just didn't know if it was legal outside of hunting season.

Swampdog and buckfynn like this.
  10. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    There is a lot of wisdom in your words. I used to carry a small neck knife, something like a 2 inch blade or so. I had a young guy comment, positively, on my "weapon". I had never thought of it that way before. The fixed blade I carry is also a tool in my eyes, as that's how I use it.

I also had a nice conversation with our local sheriff once about weapons in the courthouse. I explained, and not in a cocky way, that I could kill someone just as fast with a pencil as with a knife. Maybe even faster. If you see someone walking up towards you with a knife, especially in a building, you will take note. Note the body language, how they are walking, the look on their face, etc. to see if there are any red flags.

Take the same person walking up to you with a pencil or pen in their hand, and you probably won't give it a second thought. A pencil in the eye or ear canal will kill you just as fast, maybe faster, than a knife in the guts. Kind of graphic and not pleasant images, but that's how it could work.

I carry my handgun not as a weapon either, but more just because I like to have it with me. I do occasionally some target shooting and plinking. :)

buckfynn likes this.
  11. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Check your state's regulations about what is legal to carry when camping; it might be legal to carry a handgun but not a long gun outside of hunting season.

buckfynn likes this.
  12. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    You need another option for those of us who live in non-open carry states :) I carry the pistol under cover, my knife open. When I hunt naturally the rifle or shotgun is open carried.

Moe M. and buckfynn like this.
  13. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My opinion may go against the grain for some, but I think it's only common sense, I've been to states where open carry is legal and it's common place to see folks all around you at gas stations, stores, the Super Market, or just walking their dog down Main St. open carrying a handgun, and that's fine with me.
    But in the area of the country (Southern New England) I live in the attitude toward firearms is much different than it is in the South or out in the Western states, oh, people up north still hunt and enjoy the shooting sports, and a good number of us own house guns and or carry concealed for personal defense, but we tend to be discreate about it.
    Yes, the north east is predominately blue state country, and people tend to get antsy, nervous, even scared at the sight of someone carrying a handgun openly in public unless it's accompanied by a badge, but it isn't contained just to the north east, there's folks moving from one part of the country to another a lot more today following a job, starting a new career, or attending an out of state school, there's lot of reasons why people move, but my point is that if you live in Arizona or NH where open carry is common you may find it hard to believe that a family just moving in from RI may be paniced by your showing up at a HS football game wearing a Glock 17 on your belt and sitting down next to them.
    There was a case a year or so ago in a state where open carry was legal but discouraged, some woman was attending a school girls soccer game to watch her kids play, she was wearing a full sized handgun in a hip holster and made every attempt possible to insure that everyone around saw the gun, a few other mothers in the bleachers took offense and called security, the woman carrying refused to move or leave and a big argument broke out ending up with the woman carrying and one of the complaining mothers being arrested for creating a public disturbance.
    That didn't have to happen, the woman open carrying was carrying expressly to make a point that it was legal and her right, and it was, but I question whether or not she was right in choosing that venue to make her point knowing that she would draw unnecessary attention by locals who were not used to seeing people carry openly in public.
    I don't like open carry for a lot of valid reasons, I have no problem with people who want to carry concealed or at least discretely, we don't live in the pre 1920's anymore, personally I wouldn't mind if we did, but we don't and all of us have an obligation to live according to the times and be respectful of others.
    I don't carry as often as I once did, but when I do I do my best to not advertise the fact that I'm healed.

wallflash likes this.
  14. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    The case to which you refer actually happened over 10 years ago in south central PA. Her name was Melanie Hain and I knew her, loosely, through mutual friends. The manner in which you portray her is incorrect.

Melanie was an advocate for open carry only because she had been the victim of violent crime, not once but twice, in the past and she was resolved that it wouldn't happen a third time.

Yes, she wore her sidearm to her daughter's soccer game. There was no argument or conflict during the game. Other parents complained to the coach and the coach's complaint made it to the local Sheriff, who unlawfully revoked her License to Carry Firearms (her concealed carry permit) in an attempt to strongarm her into concealing, despite the fact that she broke no laws and had no charges filed against her. The game did not take place on school grounds, which could have been interpreted as unlawful. It occurred at a recreation league game at a town field.

The only fuss that Melanie made was to file suit against the Sheriff, which the court upheld and overturned the revocation of her LTCF, for the unlawful revocation. What you may have read was a LOT of highly opinionated, pseudo-journalism that went national and international about the event. All Melanie wanted to do was to both be safe and watch her daughter play soccer.

Sadly, around a year later she was killed by her husband, a parole officer, during a murder/suicide. Despite being an avid OCer, she was known to not wear her sidearm when she was home and that's where she was killed, at home, with her kids in the other room.

gohammergo and buckfynn like this.
  15. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'll have to take your word for what happened because you knew her, and that it was the same incident because I have no way of knowing, I read about the case about a year or two ago and it sounded like it was timely, so it's possible that it was a different case, but I have to agree with you that they appear to be the same incident.
    The report I read didn't seem to be biased against one side or the other, but was pretty much written as I described it, the fact that she was a known activist for open carry regardless of her reasons suggests to me that she probably wore her sidearm more to make a point than because she felt threatened in the environment that she was in, but I'll admit that my opinion could be wrong, but you have to admit that had she worn it concealed there most likely would not have been a confrontation to begin with, which tends to support my position.
    My bottom is that I'm sorry for her and her family, but I still believe that open carry causes more problems than it solves, I also believe that anyone who chooses to carry and take responsibility for their own security has a right to do so regardless of existing laws, I also believe that the rights enumerated in the Constitution should be for all and shouldn't be trumped by any local or state laws.

Sandcut likes this.