i dont love spiders.

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by boomchakabowwow, Aug 5, 2019.

1. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    okay. i would have hoped that being an avid outdoorsman, spiders wouldnt be a problem. i wouldnt categorize it as a "phobia"..but they do make me abnormally skittish.

Yesterday: walked into the garage, opened the door (it opens towards me, into the room) i see it on my peripheral. it was giant. about 1.5" toe to toe (x4). being a city guy, that thing was HUGE! it was darn near eye-ball level to me...i stiffled the "eeeeeeyaaaaahaaaa" loading up in my vocal cords..and shut the door. cool as a cucumber (i might add) :D.

i considered my options. they ran from, "go to bed, i didnt see nutin" to "where's my wooden matches and my can of WD-40?".

well, i open the door and the worst thing happened. it was gone!! i poked around the garage with a carbon fiber arrow and a flashlight, but i never saw the beast again. this morning i took extra care to shake out my motorcycle boots and jacket..and i looked my helmet over carefully. i might have pulled a mini wheelie pulling out of the garage at mach speeds.

snakes? no problem. bugs..pfft..i'll slap one silly with a childs flipflop. spiders? seriously, that's what shopvacs are for. hehe.

anyone else? but seriously, i would have loved to identify that spider. it was huge and brown. :D my dream is to move to the country..hahhahaha.

Sandcut, Tdr, CosmicJoke and 20 others like this.
  2. Jonah L. Archer

Jonah L. Archer ~Roughian #21~ ~ MOA #62 ~ Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    My wife would have burnt the house down and relocated to another state. :rolleyes:

I don't want them on me, but as long as they keep to themselves I've got no issues. They get in my bubble... they gonna die!

Tdr, wingnuts, CosmicJoke and 10 others like this.
  3. woodsranger

woodsranger Solitude Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Be afraid. Be very afraid....

:eek:

4. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I only like cute spiders. Like Lucas below:

5. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have to give my cubscouts credit
    Our scout camp is a breeding ground for wolf piders
    While harmless any spider the size of your palm is a scary sight
    This summer had a scout calmly tell me he didnt like sleeping in the green camp tents as he had spiders on his face,
    When i said daddy long legs? He said no wolf spiders,
    Eeeks
    When he slept in a leanto he said he counted 31 wolf spiders in the leanto
    All this was said calmly and he politely asked if he could sleep in the fort instead
    I may act calm in front of scouts but if i ever have spiders on my face or am anywhere where i can count them by 10’s no way am i staying calm im sleeping in the car

6. graywolf51

graywolf51 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have no issues with spiders. If I see one in the upper corner of the shower I leave it alone. I won't kill a spider. I may get it on a sheet of paper and let it loose out in the yard though. However, I did get bit by a black widow once and it made me very sick.

7. trailhermit

trailhermit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am always amazed at the amount of spiders and ants that fall from the trees onto my tarp. ONE time I got into my hammock before setting up my tarp. I soon discovered that I could not get out of my hammock fast enough when the creatures dropped in.

8. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    They don't bother me, I sort of like them.

9. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Reckon I’m mostly north of poison spiders and poison snakes now, but I never was one to pay either of them much mind, other than to be interested when they were too close. If they ain’t poison, they ain’t at all interesting...

MrFixIt, S.Decker, M.Hatfield and 4 others like this.
  10. Woodsroamer

Woodsroamer Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was turkey hunting once and I felt something brush against my pants; I thought it was just a chipmunk. I looked down and it was the biggest wolf spider I have ever seen in my life. I went from sitting cross legged to being 6’ in the air suppressing a scream and trying not to shoot it or my leg. I swear to god that thing was bigger than my hand.

11. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm not a fan of spiders but I'm not real squeamish either, I dislike snakes much more.

However, walking outside, especially at night, and walking through a big ol' spider web and getting it all over you, that sure does raise the hair on the back of your neck...

12. Harper

Harper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You just gotta the right stuff to deal with them:

13. colrbh

colrbh Scout

Blog Posts:
    Creepy crawlies don't bother me.Snakes no problem. I confess...I can't do ...rats. Mice no problems. Transported a child bitten by one and parents didn't address it. Kid died of sepsis. No rats for me..

MrFixIt, S.Decker, M.Hatfield and 3 others like this.
  14. Bryan King

Bryan King Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We've got a lot of spiders, brown recluse & black widow. My father in law was bit by a brown recluse last year, it looked awful and swelled up his arm and really hurt. Doc. said he should have got in sooner . Antibiotics took care of it.

wingnuts, MrFixIt, S.Decker and 6 others like this.
  15. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    Anybody ever see that scene at the end of the episode of Lonesome Dove where that guy gets attacked by a swarm of water moccasins while crossing the river? The stuff of nightmares...

16. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'm the fastest undresser while riding an ATV this side of the Mississippi. When I was younger I'd run through banana spiders while out exploring fire breaks. That shirt was off before I even slowed down good. Lol

I'm much more relaxed now. I've learned to look at the body now. Found a brown recluse on my work bench one time. No ppe is kept in the shop these days.

17. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Those Irish boys sure could sing.

18. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
  19. slysir

slysir Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  20. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, you and Jeff Daniels ;)

Hate 'em with a passion. Just sprayed again today because I'm tired of those flat jumping-type spiders falling on me when I surprise them and open the doors at work in the morning. Plus I sprayed the inside of my shed (there were a few webs) and my tractor and lawn mower. And UTV. Twice a year is usually enough, but ya can't spray too much :dblthumb:
    I can't believe I used to ride through their steel-like webs on my bike without doing a walk through down the trail first :eek: I can still feel the webs stretching on my arms before breaking.

I wish I knew when the phobia started, because I didn't used to be, but death to all arachnids!

CosmicJoke, MrFixIt, S.Decker and 7 others like this.
  21. slysir

Blog Posts:
    Arachnids are the largest family group on the planet. Spiders, crabs, lobsters, shrimp, scorpions, ticks, mites...and so on. "Can't we all just get along?" :cool:

-John

22. PAcanis

Blog Posts:

No. Not unless they are part of my food chain :)

23. RangerWeaver

RangerWeaver Woodloafer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I keep finding some in my garage. It gets bad when the spider chases you...

24. slysir

Blog Posts:
    Don't be such a picky eater!! :D:D:p:p

You want fries with that?? :)

-John

MrFixIt, S.Decker, PAcanis and 2 others like this.
  25. highlander

highlander Veni Vidi comedit lardum Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Spiders don’t bother me...except poisonous spiders. Black widows and Brown recluse spiders die by the boot or whatever I can get my hand on. I’ve seen bites go from bad to extremely bad. A lady I know was bitten by a brown recluse and it took years to heel. It left a nasty scar that still gives her trouble.
    Ticks I can’t stand.

26. squishware

squishware Troubleshooter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

These Banana Spiders are all over Florida. Fun Fact: They learn. I was wheeling in Ocala National Forest and they make very strong webbing all the way across the trail from tree to tree. I noticed they got progressively higher in altitude as if they learned when it got broken and took it up a notch. Turns out they do learn according to my web research.

When you visit Florida and your "friend" lets you go *first* on the trail ^this^ is why. These webs are about as strong as fishing line. Plus while trying to escape the web you realize you don't know where the spider that is bigger than your open hand IS?!?

27. squishware

squishware Troubleshooter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you ever need a Black Widow Spider the first place I would look is the control panel of an Air Conditioning condenser. I find them or their egg sacks 75% of the time when I open a panel, here in SoCal and back in Florida.

28. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    Exactly.

29. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    Snakes would bother me less if so many of them around here weren't poisonous (technically, venomous). Get rid of rattlers, cottonmouths/water moccasins, and copperheads. I don't care about the coral snakes, they can stay. But without those others, I'm be a lot less jumpy at first sight.

Spiders, people act like the only poisonous/venomous ones are the dangerous ones like brown recluse and black widow. But pretty much all spiders are venomous, just the others aren't venomous enough to pose a serious health risk to larger animals. But they can still get you. I've been bitten by spiders so many times, I'm not sure which ones exactly but I've always assumed they were wolf spiders. They create blisters. Not all red and swollen, just blistered up like a friction blister, just on the surface. They heal up pretty fast but it's like having a small chemical burn. The bigger ones, you actually see where each fang hit, each it's own circle of blister overlapping right next to each other kinda like an 8.

One morning at my old house, I woke in the morning and found the front of my right leg, from ankle to knee, was covered in these bite blisters. Dozens of them. Apparently a spider had gotten into my bedsheets, got agitated, and ran around all over my shin biting me again and again. There were places you could follow the bites like a path. Healing from that one wasn't very fun.

So, I'm not a fan of spiders. But, perhaps because I've been bit so many times, they don't bother me as much; familiarity breeds contempt.

30. BalsamFur

BalsamFur Not a duck Supporter

Blog Posts:
    "I need a Black Widow Spider," said NO ONE EVER!
    Pun intended? ;)
    I always wanted to try this one at work:
    april-fools-pranks-on-your-mom-4.jpg

NyracSM, Malamute, wingnuts and 9 others like this.
  31. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    LMAO!

I need to translate that into Spanish and leave one at the office for the after-hours cleaning crew...

32. victoratsea

victoratsea LB #42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't mind most spiders. I find orb weaver spiders particularly fascinating. It's kind of like having another pet out in the yard. In the evening, I'll toss Boris whatever bugs I can catch live and watch him run out from his hide and wrap up dinner just like Frodo, in "Lord of the rings". My wife, and a lot of other people, provide me and Boris endless belly laughs when they walk into Boris' web and do the most creative (and humorous) dances, since Ellan Bennis (from Seinfeld) did her convulsive thumbs up dance. :dblthumb:
    Victor

33. oldpinecricker

oldpinecricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In the NW quad of the country we are Hobo spider central. I don't find them outside but they are very common in houses. All homes.

About 5-6 years ago I got an couple of bites on the sternum area. They swelled and itched something fierce and they skabed over over and over like sores. It took about 3 years before it completely healed and went away and lost the sores and discoloration of the skin.

34. JMV

JMV Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Big spiders? Uhhh, yeah. I have about 8 active Tarantula dens on my property (That I've found, that is). This particular one ended up under the eaves just outside my back door! This is where nightmares start...
    IMG_0154.JPG

victoratsea, slysir, MrFixIt and 3 others like this.
  35. DixiePreparedness

DixiePreparedness Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Time to burn down the garage.

I hate spiders also.

(and mosquitoes too... but don’t you dare say anything about those)

36. haunted

haunted Guide

Blog Posts:
    poisonous are killed on sight non poisonous left alone unless i walk into the web then they asses gits kilt yo dont put dat crap on me!

37. bsemler

bsemler Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For sure a nightmare I would carry something all the time to kill it and couldnt imagine the sound and mess it creates when smashed

38. S.Decker

S.Decker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    NO.

39. Raymond Eisele

Raymond Eisele Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not fond of spiders either. Had large spiders always in our large geenhouse , 30 by 70. They were black with yellow markings. Never bothered them, they never bothered me. When I was small I was with my dad in my parents bedroom. Dad opened a closet, out flew a moth and dad killed it in his large hands. Asked him, why did you kill lt? Dad said, it is eating some thing. Lesson learned.

40. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I saw a spider in Central America that was big enough to trap a parrot in its web and it was eating it.
    I’m pretty sure I compromised that mission by running through the jungle screaming like a school girl...

41. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
  42. trailhermit

trailhermit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I must admit, I rarely kill spiders. I discovered years ago that their ghosts haunt me in my dreams.

I also wake up sometimes thinking there are spiders dropping down from the ceiling.

43. S.Decker

S.Decker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My grandmother had a couple, in her rose bushes, every year. Big suckers, about 4 inches across. They were the most beautiful electric blue, black.

MrFixIt and Jonah L. Archer like this.
  44. Jonah L. Archer

Jonah L. Archer ~Roughian #21~ ~ MOA #62 ~ Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    :eek::18:

MrFixIt likes this.
  45. dial1911

dial1911 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I gotta get a picture of the monster that's living on my back porch roof... that bug us putting a dent in the insect population.

46. ReallyBigMonkey1

ReallyBigMonkey1 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I love spiders, as long as they ain't crawling on me like a cat. They keep the bug population down.

47. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    My parents had some land at Waelder, Texas and one year there was a plague of Banana spiders that were about 4" across. When I walk in the woods, if there are any spider webs, I use my hiking staff to hit them before my body does.

48. TRYKER

TRYKER Guide

Blog Posts:
    spiders only bother me in the house, in the bathroom they get the swirly, on the floor squash, and if they come down from the cieling that scooped up with the candel and sealed in wax.

Jonah L. Archer and MrFixIt like this.
  49. Hawkce541

Hawkce541 Tracker

Blog Posts:

We call that the ick dance. You don't know where the spider is, but you will drop everything to get that damn thing off of you.

Jonah L. Archer and MrFixIt like this.
  50. caspice

caspice Life size Supporter

Blog Posts:
    All spiders should be considered VENOMOUS.

However the toxicity of spider venom varies. So the harm a spider bite can cause also varies in severity.

The images below is a cross section of human skin.
    The size and length of spider fangs, and depth of a bite, determine how deep venom will be injected into the skin.
    Short fangs, a shallow bite and a mild toxin result in a mild reaction - redness, small bump or blister.
    Change those parameters and you change the expected reaction.
    Fangs large enough to pierce through the 'dead' layers of keratinocytes can reach into the dermis (where blood circulates).

[​IMG][​IMG]

Good source for spider identification.
    https://www.insectidentification.org/spiders.asp