I give up...another recommendation thread

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by 2Stroke, Nov 12, 2018.

1. 2Stroke

2Stroke Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey everyone, so in my search for a new pack, I seem to have gotten myself lost. I am in search of a new relatively inexpensive pack for backpacking and camping. Currently in the summer months i use an ozark trail 29l daypack which I absolutely love for 1-2 night trips. In the dead of winter or for extended trips i have an older jansport big bear 82l pack which I use. Well I don't seem to have anything inbetween and I am in search. I'm looking for something around 40l (just a guess really) for mid range 3 night trips during the late fall/early winter. I am hiking the west rim trail in Pennsylvania in a few weeks and I want a pack with hip straps and enough room to fit a bigger bag and more food/water, but I want a pack lighter and smaller than the big jansport i have. Any suggestions are appreciated and I would love to keep it under $100 but I know that isn't always possible. Thanks!

2. Staleym

Staleym Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hey there. If your actual need is mostly for three days or so, to meet your criteria, I'd think about going to the bigbox sporting goods store (in my area Big5, Dicks, etc. Academy is in other areas). You can probably find something in the 40L size for around $50-60, less when on sale. They are pretty good featured and less quality. Will last a couple of months hard use, maybe a year of moderate use.

3. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  4. Odinborn

Odinborn Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a Golite Jam 50 that I've used on a couple overnighters. It carries very well, has a hip belt, and is very light compared to most packs. It's 50L, but the compression on it let's it go down to half that, as well as an expansion collar that adds more room.

If you look the pack up and it looks like something that fits the role you're looking for, let me know. I have too many packs so I would be glad to sell it to you very cheap to help you out.

5. scottmm2012

scottmm2012 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Teton Sports has some good backpacks and come with good reviews. I have this model and it performs well.

6. Keithturkjr

Keithturkjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Keeping it under 100 dollars cuts out a lot of the premium manufacturers, but you can probably still get something good.
    Walmart has better packs than they used to.

If you’re buying a cheap backpack you’ve gotta look at it in person. Premium pack makers describe their details and sizing a lot better online than cheaper pack makers. Cheaper pack makers do occasionally have something really neat in their offerings though.
    Considering a taking a measuring tape with you to check the torso length on it.
    Alternatively,If you want a superdurable pack medium Alice army surplus packs are bombproof and come in manly colors.

I have a backpack that retails for about 275 dollars new because I was really finicky about what I wanted and was willing to pay for it. But I was finicky about my stuff not yours. I had a lot of fun car camping this weekend with guy with a Walmart backpack .

7. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
  8. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've really enjoyed my REI Flash 45 pack. I've got the previous generation which is actually lighter than the current. Click here for the link. They are good packs with two size options, features you need and not ones you don't. They tend to go on sale, if you look the two larger versions are actually on sale right now for under $100. I got mine for about $65 a couple years back which was a steal for a 2.25 lbs 50L (size large is 50L) pack with a frame and hip belt. Only complaint I have is the ajustable sternum strap, it always ends up at the top of it's adjustment.

[​IMG]Three Ridges Loop, Second Time by MJGEGB, on Flickr

I need to cut down some of the straps and sew in stops for the sternum strap.

9. 41magfan

41magfan Scout

Blog Posts:
    With a bit of online shopping, you ought to be able to find a new Kelty Redwing 44/50 for $100 or less. If you have time to shop Ebay, you might find a deal on something with a budget of $100, but you need to have your choices narrowed down or you'll get overwhelmed with all the listings.

I came across this the other day while looking for something else .... it's a heck of a deal on a new Blackhawk Phoenix pack, should anyone be in the market for one. I paid more than $60 for one 20+ years ago.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blackhawk-Phoenix-Patrol-Pack-Black-60PH00BK-Free-Shipping/173616664087

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  10. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    The alice pack is a good choice available in two sizes. My memory says the medium is 30l but the sleep and shelter system gets attached to the frame saving space in the pack.

Sloany, Guttersnipe, Bobsdock and 2 others like this.
  11. Dusty Tom

Dusty Tom Scout

Blog Posts:
    I can recommend the Teton Sports Scout 3400. I have been using mine for a couple years now. I believe the pack cost me $70 at sportsmanswarehouse. The only issue I can see with it is that the suspension system may be too small for bigger guys.

Guttersnipe, OrienM, Bobsdock and 4 others like this.
  12. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Still going Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Plus one on kelty packs. Lot of bang for the buck.

13. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    You don't have to fill the big pack just because the space is there, $100- buys a lot of beer and pretzels, [ or coffee and doughnuts ] or a new down parka or part payment of a new LW down sleeping bag. Most important question I ask is "Is it comfortable to wear and carry stuff in?"

ExAF1N1 and Guttersnipe like this.
  14. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael

Blog Posts:
    You could throw a WTB post over on the trade blanket. Someone had a nice Kelty Redwing there for a few weeks back in late summer, I think it sold for around $50.

So many of us here have gear stuck in every closet, someone's bound to have something close to what you're after and with it being close to December, many folks are probably motivated to sell some unused gear off.

Guttersnipe and backlasher like this.
  15. Juany118

Juany118 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The one thing I learned from the Army that you should try to avoid skimping on is your pack if you are going to be backpacking is the kit. So while it is over $100.00, it's only by $25.00 and this pack is, imo, the best bang for the buck pack out there.

Kelty Redwing 50 Backpack, Ponderosa Pine https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014JQ9GMS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_J588Bb5Y1RYEX

It has plenty of storage, decent organization, and some expandability thanks to the Daisy chains on the bottom. What I really find impressive is the Perfect Fit system. It lets you dial in what really is the perfect fit and it's still under 4lbs in weight. Here is a good review on the pack.

https://sectionhiker.com/kelty-redwing-50-backpack-review/

I love mine. The only reason I would replace it (other than if I accidentally destroyed it) is to drop my baseweight and/or I found myself needing more than 51L of internal storage.

I don't know your loadout but I think 40 liters might be a little "to tight" for PA multi-day trips in the Winters/shoulder season, especially with the elevation you are looking at for the West Rim trail. As an example Morris PA (where the West Rim is located) is looking at two days where the High is going to be 20 degrees this week. On one of them the lownis going to be 4.

Since you need to plan for the maddness that is PA weather in shoulder season, your spare clothing will be more bulky, you may even want to bring insulated sleep clothes ad heavier socks for sleeping. Add in that you may want to bring more food to keep the internal fires burning hot. THEN your sleep system will be more bulky than a three season system, even if it is just adding a thermolite liner to a 20 degree bag or quilt. Then if a ground sleeper, if you don't have a pad with good R value, you might end up packing a closed cell foam ground pad to beef it up, if a hammock person a heavier weight underquilt or a pad to line the hammock with etc.

PA weather just sucks for planning shoulder season outings imo because a 40 degree day can be followed by a below freezing day in sort order.

Just something to think about.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  16. moab

moab Tracker

Blog Posts:
    There are several good brands in that size range. I would start by going to some big box stores and trying some stuff on. Also GET YOURSELF FITTED FOR A PACK. By someone that knows what they doing. REI is usually great at this. Unless your average size. In which case everything should fit.

Gregory my personal favorite.
    Osprey another favorite.
    Kelty Redwing is a good one.
    These should all fall in the 3-5lb mark.

If your on a budget you could try a USMC ILBE marpat pack. $65 https://www.copesdistributing.com/usmc-ilbe-main-pack-complete-p-11756.html A little bigger than what your looking for. But this is a budget pack. The others above expect to pay $150 onsale. The Kelty may be cheaper.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  17. chansta

chansta keeper of the flame Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Look up bearfoots gear on Facebook. Lots of deals there

Guttersnipe likes this.
  18. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Blog Posts:
    Agreed. I think Kelty’s position in the market is highest quality of entry-level packs. If you want better, the price jumps significantly.

I have a Coyote 80 which works well for me.

19. Sloany

Sloany Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Medium Alice pack with frame.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  20. ra2bach

ra2bach Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    if you want to use the pack in colder weather for 3 days, I still wouldn't go below 50L.

it's not necessary that you spend a fortune for a very serviceable bag but keeping it under $100 is going to be tough. and if you do, it's probably going to be heavier than what you were hoping for or not as durable. as they say about buying outdoor gear, Good/Cheap/Lightweight - Pick any 2.

right now, Massdrop has the Kelty Redwing 50 for $94 shipped. that's one of my favorite options at this price -- https://www.massdrop.com/buy/kelty-redwing-backpack

21. Juany118

Blog Posts:
    I was going to recommend that Massdrop pack too until I saw it appears to not have the perfect fit system. I have never been a fan of of "one size" packs, at a minimum I want "small", "regular" and "large."

HalfTreaded and Winterhorse like this.
  22. ra2bach

ra2bach Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    it's a Kelty 50 Redwing. I have one that doesn't have the perfect fit system and it's fine. I think that's a gimmick...

bosque bob likes this.
  23. Juany118

Blog Posts:
    Not imo. Do they get the job done? Sure. However I have multiple packs today, carried the ALICE for a decade starting 25 years ago when in the he service, and the difference between having a pack that fits, either due to multiple sizes or an adjustable frame, the difference in comfort is there. If it didn't matter why would other companies go to the headache of multiple sizes in pack frames? If it was just a gimmick that certainly would not pass a cost/benefit analysis and everyone would be one size fits all with all packs.

Now to be fair, below 20 lbs it doesn't matter. When you get to 25 it bothers a bit after 2-3 hours. Don't even want to know what it would feel like on a backpacking trip over 25.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    blind & lost and HalfTreaded like this.
  24. Keithturkjr

Keithturkjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had a red wing for a little while. It really wasn't for me for a a lot of reasons that weren't the packs fault. One positive thing I can say though it that their perfect fit adjustable torso system was very nice, and the suspension was comfortable, more importantly the comfort of the perfect fit suspension system was not particularly expensive.
    Kellty currently has 3 version of the redwing 50 one has the perfect fit suspension and the other one does not and the price is very similar. The one that doesn't have the perfect fit is what they call their "tactical" version (it not good for tactical stuff, its pure marketing) Their "tactical" version is basically the older version of the pack. It has lower consumer ratings than the new one. I'd stick with the new one if the red wing is what you want.

25. Juany118

Blog Posts:
    I agree with your assessment entirely. I find the perfect fit system very comfortable but I think the pack actually has a little too much organization to the point the space in the main compartment suffers and makes more than a weekend trip problematic. Unless I strap stuff to the outside I am not fitting 5 days worth of food inside. Hence why I have a Granite Gear Crown 2 that should be arriving next week. My fiancee will be inheriting the Kelty though. I carry the tent so she will have more room.

Skruffy likes this.
  26. lopie

lopie Scout

Blog Posts:
    does it have compression straps? Or could you attach straps so you can compress down to half the volume? I refuse a buy a pack without compression straps as I like the option to go with less.

27. Keithturkjr

Keithturkjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I agree about the organization. I got a ULA catalyst in response. I think the kelty is a nice solo weekend pack, I kinda liked it but it wasnt the extreme do anything pack I wanted. I almost got a granite gear blaze 60 but the ULA came in camo lol.

As far as camo goes on my ula, its alright, its not really great camouflage since there is a lot of black on it, but I like the way it looks becuase I'm an old nerd lol. Black was tacticool back in the day.
    It does look a little goofie in picture where I go on dayhikes carrying the groups stuff. Teenage girls in pink leggings on the trail and there I am with my camo pack but its manly and I'm good with that.

One thing about camo I've found from this experience is that if you buy a pack in camo go ahead and demand that the entire thing is camo. otherwise something in earth tones without reflective stuff on it will be more discreet, for when your out with family and and stuff.

28. BigHat

BigHat Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  29. Juany118

Blog Posts:

I have their tent and love it (the Lanshan 2). I just don't trust replacing dynema with Sil-Nilon for a pack that might have to carry things along the trails in PA where branches and briars are common at times, depending on trail maintenance.

30. Juany118

Blog Posts:
    Only thing that made me say GG and not ULA (both made my shortlist) was the GG has better compression so the pack is a little more flexible.

Keithturkjr likes this.
  31. Keithturkjr

Keithturkjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    yeah my 75 liter doesn't want to compress to less that about 25. but it does ok. If I go on a solo dayhike,....I gotta b honest lol I might carry my overnight stuff just to fitness train with some weight lol.
    I do have some smaller sstuff like a mountainsmith lumbar pack too though

32. instructorzero

instructorzero Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Osprey. Buy once, cry once. I have 3 and love them. If I limited myself to just 1, it would be ~55L.

HalfTreaded likes this.
  33. Juany118

Blog Posts:
    The Kelty you have is very similar to mine. Both are worthy choices. The main differences between the two is the tactical...

1. Is made of slightly stronger stuff, especially the water bottle pockets.
    2. Has the extra molle of the original.
    3. Lacks the perfect fit system the current my version has.
    4. Has a slightly different organization pocket.
    5. Comes in more tactical/paramilitary colors.

Beyond that I think they basically pack the same.

HalfTreaded likes this.
  34. draugur

draugur Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    HalfTreaded likes this.
  35. bosque bob

bosque bob Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a bunch of Kelty fans on this one. Count me in as well. Have an older Redwing that has seen plenty of miles including planes, trains and autopbiles in addition to back country stuff. Only suggestion is to make sure you like the color because they seem to last and last. Also Kelty's warranty service, if ever needed, is great. Only used it for a tent but still great.

HalfTreaded likes this.
  36. DuctTape

DuctTape Scout

Blog Posts:
    The founder of Golite has a new company, MyTrailCo and they make a newer version of the Jam 50L.

HalfTreaded likes this.
  37. Dillon Finan

Dillon Finan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Marmot Aspen 35L, it is a discontinued model, but you can get it used. Good all around, but depending on your other gear you may need to strap your sleeping bag on the outside of the pack. It is set up nicely to have a tent (edit) strapped to the side.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    HalfTreaded likes this.
  38. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have this same pack...very good quality for $70, IMO. I'd agree about the sizing; I'm a rather small person, and the pack fits me well at the largest setting. If I remember right, it was designed to be a 'youth' model.

HalfTreaded likes this.
  39. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    You have 29L and 82L packs, which are the both on the extreme ends for size imo.

I followed other peoples advice for 50L and it was still just little small. So, I think only you are going to know the size that's right for you!

After buying 3 packs I found a 60L external frame pack that is just right size for what I like to bring.

Factoring in the costs of the other two packs (which I still have but don't use) makes this last one really expensive!

HalfTreaded likes this.
  40. Juany118

Blog Posts:
    Another thought, though $50 over the $100 mark. I would rather have a slightly heavier and bulky tent and sleeping bag (meaning cheaper) than go low on a pack. Especially since China is all about making cheap quality tents (Google Lanshan as an example) vs durable, quality packs. 20181203_233458.jpg
    Everything above fit in the Granite Gear Crown2 60 with some room to spare.

20181203_234757.jpg

The lid can be worn as a chest rig if you get two carabineers, and that had plenty of room to spare. You can also use the lid straps to secure the CCF pad. I just prefer the lid as a chest rig.

20181203_235446.jpg

That's a winter load out BTW. 3 season the clothes bag would be half as big (no thick fleece top and long johns), no sleeping bag liner and the CCF foam sleep mat would be gone as well. Also, if a true summer trip, the puffy jacket would be omitted as well. This pack is cavernous and is under $150.00 on Amazon ATM.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  41. Chadarius

Chadarius Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm a novice when it comes to equipment like this. But I purchased two Amazon Basics 75L backpacks this summer and I've been extremely happy with them. At this moment the 75L is an insane $44. It comes in 55L and 65L sizes as well. I choose the bigger one because we have started winter camping and I wanted plenty of room for clothes and gear. We don't do "backpacking" exactly but it is super handy to be able to pack all your gear one back and be done with it :).

It is height adjustable. It has tons of cinch straps, including ones specifically for your bedroll. It is water proof, especially the large main compartment. I find the padding to be pretty good. It has a rain cover built into the bottom that you can pull out. It has two large side pockets above two mesh water bottle pouches. It has a "sleeping bag" compartment, but honestly no sleeping bag I've ever had would fit in it. I think of that compartment as more of a tarp/shelter/poncho compartment. It can easily hold a few large tarps, stakes, and cordage. I use the awesome bedroll straps to hold my large bedroll (I'm a large beast of a man with a Teton XXL sleeping bag, a wool blanket, and a Therm-a-rest large foam pad, oh and I just got a Teton XXL Outfiter camping pad as well. OK So my sleeping roll is bigger than the 75L pack! I need to be comfortable! Most of that is new and I'm going to have to figure out a really good way to pack all of it for winter camping). It has tons of loops for attachments and accessories. Over all, for $44 I don't think you can find better quality or features.

Here is a youtube review

42. Juany118

Blog Posts:
    In looking at the reviews of that pack it looks like whether you intend to do "backpacking" is an important thing to consider. Apparently the straps have trouble maintaning their position and slip. Not a big issue if you are simply wearing the pack for a short distance from the car to the campsite but an issue to be aware of if you are looking at doing some decent mileage.

Chadarius likes this.
  43. Juany118

Blog Posts:
  44. Chadarius

Chadarius Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I haven't taken it on anything more than my 40 acres up north. It certainly has flaws, but for $44, it is a fantastic pack for what I use it for.

Juany118 and Guttersnipe like this.
  45. Juany118

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely, a tool is only as good as the intended purpose. The OP said "...for backpacking..." Which to me means hiking from site to site over a number of days. Hence my comment, nothing more.

Chadarius likes this.
  46. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Pretty sure the OP @2Stroke has also given up on this thread.

47. 2Stroke

2Stroke Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It has been a while, I have forgotten about this actually!

So I ended up getting gifted a snugpak stamina 40l pack and so far so good. I only have a few miles on it but it has plenty of room and carries very well

48. 2Stroke

2Stroke Tracker

Blog Posts:
    So without actually doing the math I know I can comfortable carry 20-25lbs in rough terrain, and 30-40 in easy/flat terrain. I generally hang around the 25lb mark including food and water for most trips. I weigh about 200 so I'm between 10-20% depending.

HalfTreaded and Guttersnipe like this.