I had no idea a slingshot could be so effective

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by Bonkerz, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Bonkerz

Bonkerz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've taken an interest in slingshots since seeing Fowler, one of the contestants on the TV show Alone, and his choice to take a slingshot as one of his 10 survival items.

After some youtube viewing I was surprised to see how accurate and effective they can be.

TX-1948, kreate, Ahnkochee and 16 others like this.
  2. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Here is Mike Lowe, from Alone Season 2, using a slingshot to add friction and stability to a hand drill fire setup.

3. Zebra Alpha

Zebra Alpha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My older brother was a boy scout. He made a sling-shot using a bicycle inner-tube, and it looked like fun, so I asked him to make me one. hahaha

I shot-out a large window on the house on the first day. I was in a lot of hot water for that. *ouch* Later that day, I somehow nearly broke a finger... somehow I shot myself before the little rock even cleared the sling-shot.

So I lost interest in them really fast. I do envy people that can use them well, though. Still, I have no desire for one. *smile*

Sandcut, designtom, 80mtn and 3 others like this.
  4. Makarov

Makarov Scout

Blog Posts:
    it takes a lot of practice to be good and the targets tend to be small, but it is quiet which is a very large plus for small game hunting. In the first video he missed a lot and seemed to make a lot of hits that wounded with nothing recovered. Over all I would prefer a good pellet rifle, also quiet and if your careful they drop when hit.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    80mtn, Faiaoga, Huey and 1 other person like this.
  5. andyblack

andyblack Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've been practicing off and on since this summer. I've found that I can shoot one much better now then when I was a kid.

I remember once when I was about 11 or 12 me and some other kids who lived next door had a slingshot war in an empty farm field behind my house. I lent one boy my slingshot and moved to a distance that I thought he couldn't hit me. Next thing I know I see a large piece of gravel coming straight towards me so I instinctively held my hand up in front of my face. That rock hit my knuckle so hard I just knew it was broken. I knew better than to tell my mom though. I think we switched to throwing dirt clods after that.

But yeah the slingshot can be quite effective on small game. You just have to practice a lot and get up close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

designtom, Edge308, 80mtn and 2 others like this.
  6. LongAgoLEO

LongAgoLEO Scout

Blog Posts:
    My interest was rekindled of-late and finally got a Pocket Predator; the poly Boy Scout model to fit my little paws. Went with the standard gold band-set and a pound of 3/8" steel balls for practice and a pound of .44 caliber steel balls for hunting. Frankly, I was surprised how proficient I became after following some simple aiming tips and using the same methodology each time. Also found the steel balls were easily recoverable without a trap. Just ran a nail magnet over the front of wherever I had a backstop of-sorts. A lot of my practice was in the woods with real, stationary objects and did not recover many of them. Suspect they'll frustrate my wife when she heads out there with her newfangled metal detector come spring.

Summer '16 - 315.JPG Summer '16 - 316.JPG

The first 8 shots from 15-yards with the sling shot and 3/8" steel balls. Have not taken a meal yet, however.
    Summer '16 - 313.JPG

7. Self Reliantist

Self Reliantist Scout

Blog Posts:
  8. Chili

Chili Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I had a Crosman slingshot with the brace when I was a teenager. That thing could do some damage. Still surprised my parents actually bought it for me (lived in the city at the time, where I could only get into trouble with it). I may just pick up a new one to play around with.

80mtn, LongAgoLEO and T. Pollock like this.
  9. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    that dude is AWESOME!!!!

i've always had an interest in one but never played with it much and not really sure of good techniques but would be a fun skill to have and with LOTS of practice you can get accurate and deadly...

10. Bonkerz

Blog Posts:
    80mtn likes this.
  11. T. Pollock

T. Pollock Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Never used one for hunting but they work great for a throw weight when tree trimming. I have one with a fishing reel attached to it that I've used numerous times trimming trees. Would be a great way to hang a bear bag, no bears here though thankfully. :dblthumb:
    Mines just a cheap Daisy from wally world.

Sandcut, 80mtn, Bonkerz and 1 other person like this.
  12. Fat Old Man

Fat Old Man Perpetual Student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I LOVE this guy! Kind of a mash-up of a mad scientist and a jolly German toy-maker. My favorite quote: "I love weaponizing Black & Decker power tools!" What's not to love? He has some really great-looking conventional slingshots in addition to his more entertaining Gatling gun versions. :dblthumb: His toilet brush darts and delivery system were quite interesting...

80mtn, LongAgoLEO and Bonkerz like this.
  13. 80mtn

80mtn Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I've been using my slingshot as part of my kit since I was a kid. I've taken hundreds of squirrels with it. I have a 9-shot Taurus model 94 .22 revolver that I carry sometimes, but my slingshot is permanent gear. I've been shooting it for so long that aiming is intuitive now. Like a 'naked' longbow hunter that aims using the tip of the arrow. It takes practice to get that way, but we practice with all our gear, right? Being able to take meat in a 'stealth camping' situation is good. I practice when we're sitting around a fire shooting at empty beer cans...PULL!

14. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Scout

Blog Posts:
    I hunted with a slingshot quite a bit as a kid. Killed a few squirrels, chipmunks, and small birds with it. Quiet, accurate, and ammo is easily obtainable in nature. Really a great weapon by every measure!

15. x39

x39 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've owned and used "Wrist Rocket" type sling shots for almost fifty years now, and currently own several. I've killed a lot of game and vermin with them. I've found .45 caliber lead musket balls to be extremely effective ammo, far better than the steel balls commonly sold for the purpose.

16. 80mtn

Blog Posts:
    The 1/4" 'slingshot ammo they sell always seems to have a little flatspot. I Hate That! Always at the wrong time it goes arcing off because of it. Mine is a wrist rocket too, without the wrist part. We have some Spruce grouse along the river here in New Mexico. A dozen or so BBs works good for birdshot. :)

gila_dog and x39 like this.
  17. 80mtn

Blog Posts:
    I'm kind of interested in shooting arrows with one. I haven't tried yet but I've heard about it for awhile. It would take quite a bit of practice (years maybe) before I'd ever take a shot on a deer. Food for thought though.

18. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've been hearing and reading about that too, they're calling em "sling bows". Basically a whisker biscuit (type of arrow rest) slapped on top of a wrist rocket. Me and my dad bought a couple wrist rockets to convert into sling bows but we never got around to it.

I heard awhile back that guys were taking caribou in Alaska with them, that would be a blast! I can't think of a more lightweight and compact hunting weapon capable of taking big game.

davidchagrin and 80mtn like this.
  19. 80mtn

Blog Posts:
    I just got one from my friends garage when she moved. It's crazy! It comes halfway up your arm and has some kind of balancy thing hanging off the front! It looks like one of those olympic bows with those big balancers. I still have to put rubbers on it.
    We'll see what happens... I'll maybe try and convert that.

Bitterroot Native likes this.
  20. 80mtn

Blog Posts:
    Now that i'm thinking about all slingshoty things. When I was a kid I lived in a suburb relatively close to downtown Cleveland. If you walked the railroad tracks anywhere around there, There were zillions of these little 1/2" round pig iron balls. That's how they got iron to the U.S. Steel and Republic Steel plants. That's what I would collect to shoot. I probably haven't thought about that in 30 years. :)

21. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Scout

Blog Posts:
    Oh wow, never seen any with a stabilizer on it before. Probably helps a lot with accuracy. You should make a post about it when you get the rubbers on it. Vids or pics of you shooting it would be sweet!

80mtn likes this.
  22. 80mtn

Blog Posts:
    I suppose we just watched the early development phase of the new anti-squirrel, laser, railgun, nuclear option slingshot!

Bitterroot Native likes this.
  23. LongAgoLEO

LongAgoLEO Scout

Blog Posts:
    Expound on the lead over steel balls preference, x39. I'm curious (and have only used rocks and steel). Thanks.

80mtn and x39 like this.
  24. x39

x39 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Well, in my experience the heavier lead projectile dumps more energy into the target when it hits, kind of like the difference between a .22lr and a .45 acp. I've hit squirrels with steel balls, and while they are generally lethal, they don't hit with the authority of lead. One squirrel I hit in the head with a lead ball flew off the tree he was on doing cartwheels in the air until he hit the ground dead. I find rocks to be unreliable due to their variations in shape, which can cause them to fly erratically. I've taken plenty of small game with both steel and rocks, but my preference will always be for lead. Hope this helps.

25. MichelVH

MichelVH Tracker

Blog Posts:
    As a Dutch kid, weapons are really hard to get hold of, so I always made my own slingshots just for fun. Just download a Rambone blueprint, saw the pieces out of some 1/2 inch plywood and glue them up. A little rasping and sanding an you have a really nice custom slingshot frame! I am too cheap of a guy to buy a 60$ roll of Theraband so I used to use inner tires of bicycles, but I've found that thick rubber bands work a lot better. A while back I used some blue exercise band, but it curled up and ripped at a single sunshine, so that was not durable enough. It performed great though... Just like rifles, practice makes perfect! Last summer I went to southern France, and up in the mountains I found many rocks that were pointy but round in general shape. I used those and they shoot great, I got about 95% hits with a Coke tin at 75 feet, so not too bad for a roughly done, DIY slingshot made at the spot itself. If I'd choose a survival weapon, go buy yourself a nice set (or two) of good quality slingshot bands, tie them up with an ammo pouch and throw them in your hunting/fishing kit. When you need a slingshot, you can carve a pretty neat one in a few minutes.

26. kreate

kreate Guide

Blog Posts:
    hamanky, Sandcut, Myr1ad and 2 others like this.
  27. 80mtn

Blog Posts:
    I use the same theory when it comes to .22s. I've hunted squirrels a long time and i've settled on hollowpoint lead subsonics for squirrels. Jacketed ones like CCI Stingers go right through and leave your squirrel laying dead on a branch. The subsonics 'slap' it right out of the tree!

Timex, LongAgoLEO and x39 like this.
  28. 66drifter

66drifter Scout

Blog Posts:
    that LITTLE FLAT SPOT is where the SPRUE was cut off in the moulding process

you can reduce it's being by TUMBLING them(no media)

80mtn likes this.
  29. 80mtn

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, Thanks. I gave up that store bought 'slingshot ammo' a long time ago. I use .45 ball ammo. Fun fact: Same caliber as my muzzle loader! :)

30. x39

x39 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just as a heads up, hunting with a sling shot isn't legal everywhere, check your game laws before heading out.

31. LongAgoLEO

LongAgoLEO Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, x39. Makes plenty of sense. I think I will have to try this and see if there is a discernible difference (for me). So far I've impressed myself on paper and stationary targets; have not impressed any critters yet.

Side Note: On a whim I utilized my FLIR unit recently to watch a buddy using my slingshot with steel projectiles he had in his pocket. Sorta' looked like (intermittent) tracer fire. If my signature refresh rate was quicker ($$$$$), it would have been outstanding viewing as the balls disappeared into the woods. Unit was too slow to be effective, but gave glimpses of where the balls were going. The stuff we do with too much time...

80mtn, Bonkerz and x39 like this.
  32. gila_dog

gila_dog BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I've never hunted with my slingshot, but is sure is handy for chasing cows or javelinas off my place or out of my camp. I actually used it for self defense one time long ago. A big steer that I had just bought at the auction attacked me, knocking me down, and was getting ready to do it again. A .50 cal lead round ball in his forehead from 20 ft away stunned him. He almost fell down, but then recovered and took off. He never messed with me again. With a slingshot it's all about the ammo. Rocks are plentiful, but are really terrible ammo.

80mtn and x39 like this.
  33. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    If I had a dollar for every rabbit or squirrel I harvested with one as a kid, I'd be very comfortable!
    My buddies dad worked at a place that made ball bearings so we always had some.
    I've also used glass marbles for a stun type effect.

80mtn likes this.
  34. swissarmy67

swissarmy67 Scout

Blog Posts:
    One of my Army buddies was stationed in Alaska and during a survival course they made slingshots.

The instructor used round hard candy as ammo. It was like a Glaser Safety Slug when it hit.

Plus you could eat them as a moral booster.

LongAgoLEO, Swarvegorilla and Timex like this.
  35. Self Reliantist

Self Reliantist Scout

Blog Posts:
    Same goes for Brussels Sprouts, excellent for that special delivery message : "Get off my lawn!"
    to the down the street neighbors dog mid-defecation.
    Gets the message across in simple terms w/out any potential lethality. Plus, the lawnmower
    doesn't object when ya run over 'em, or the cross street neighbors rear view mirror mysteriously
    explode.

Norm

x39 and Swarvegorilla like this.
  36. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    I always have a slingshot with me. These two are always in the truck. The folder is a Marksman my dad bought me about 23-25 years ago. The little aluminum one is a Milbro UK. Great little shooter, and stuffs in a pocket nicely. That one will get passed on to my son when he's old enough.
    20170110_102329.jpg
    20170110_102351.jpg

ETA: Best ammo is .440 lead ball. Shoots fast enough and really hits hard.

37. 80mtn

Blog Posts:
    That is one cool slingshot. I bet the weight of it, the solidity would make it feel different. I want one. I want one right now!

38. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    Pro-Shot (UK) Catapults

80mtn likes this.
  39. 80mtn

Blog Posts:
    :) I'm such a child when it comes to slingshots! Thanks! Is there a measurable difference to the 'feel'? Compared to the wristrocket? I bet the release 'thump' is totally better.

40. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    I much prefer my little milbro over my wrist braced slingshot. Takes a little getting used to, but I find it much more consistent, and natural to shoot.

80mtn likes this.
  41. 80mtn

Blog Posts:
    I use a wristrocket without the wrist part. So it's kinda like the Milbro already.

42. joedirt199

joedirt199 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

Here is a news report on an old man who grew up hunting with homemade sling shots that he used to support his family. Guy is pretty rediculous shot.

43. Bonkerz

Blog Posts:

Wow. Impressive. He doesn't aim and he uses square rocks for bullets. :eek:

80mtn likes this.
  44. 80mtn

Blog Posts:
    AND he's a lefty! :) Those pepsi cans are pretty prehistoric, this was a while ago.

Swarvegorilla likes this.
  45. hivernant

hivernant Tracker

Blog Posts:
    When we were kids we would find a patch of yellow clay in the field and roll marble sized balls. It took about a day in the sun to bake them into decent slingshot ammo. You could take down a cotton tail with a head shot pretty easy.

46. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    always lead if you can get it. i've hit enough squirrels with steel and marbles to know they just are not immediately lethal, if at all ...

80mtn likes this.
  47. TN_Woodman

TN_Woodman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Bill Hays. This guy is good.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    kreate, 80mtn, LongAgoLEO and 2 others like this.
  48. joedirt199

Blog Posts:
    So after seeing some of the posts about slingshots, I started checking some out and came across this one. Most complaints say it is over engineered but looks pretty neat. Would like something with the ability to shoot normal shot and arrows with/without a fishing reel attachment. Looks pretty neat.

http://hammerslingshot.com/

80mtn likes this.
  49. 80mtn

Blog Posts:
    Back up at the top of this post we were talking about that. I'm gonna start a build on a slingshot a friend gave me. I was gonna mount one of those whisker biscuit things 'cause I want to try arrows too.

50. joedirt199

Blog Posts:
    Well ordered the hammer from slingbow on thursday and it arrived on saturday with just basic shipping. Went with the whole kit so when the weather stops with the freezing rain I will be able to get out and try it. No arrows yet so may have to hit the local gun store for arrows and buy some lead muzzle loader shot or get some molds and make my own with dad's 5 gal bucket of wheel weights for regular sling ammo.

80mtn, LongAgoLEO and Bonkerz like this.