I Hate Lanyards

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Wendy Owens, May 17, 2019 at 9:17 AM.

1. Wendy Owens

Wendy Owens Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Am I the only one?
    After being out of the field for a while now, I am trying to get gear together so I can start hiking and camping again.
    I was quite literally almost born in a boat on Bull Shoals Lake, long story....but my family spent nearly every weekend of my childhood hunting, fishing, camping etc...
    Recently I bought a new knife, so as it seemed to be the "IN" thing to do, I put a lanyard on it.
    My Axe, put a lanyard on it
    and so on...
    First time I go out to use these tools I find these short ropes hanging on everything, flopping over in my way and just being an all around PITA (Pain in the Arse)
    So I cut them off.
    In fairness I live in a very moderate climate. Southwest Missouri. We don't get a lot of snow here so it isn't all that critical to hang ones tools high in tress to keep them from getting lost under the snow...But honestly, that's the only reason I can see for attaching such a potential snag to ones tools.
    I don't know...guess i'm waiting to see if someone can convince me i'm wrong.......
    Then again, I personal don't find taking the extra time to make Feather Sticks worthwhile either....maybe i'm just an odd duck!?!?

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 1:34 PM
  2. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    I reckon they do have a place in bushcraft, yet personally, I don't care for them either. It's another one of those personal opinion things

3. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Lanyards aren't for everybody.
    And yes, you are an odd duck.
    :eek:

:4:

4. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I agree with you. I understand their use in certain circumstances, but I don't usually encounter those circumstances. If a tool is muted colors and could easily be lost if put on the ground or a log (Bahco Laplander in green and black for example), I'll put a bright colored lanyard on it for location purposes and deal with it when I use the tool, but that is about it.

Gumbi, Sawdustdave, slysir and 11 others like this.
  5. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Yup. I've had to follow my own trail to find a knife. Lanyard snagged and pulled it out of the sheath. I do use them on flashlights. If I fall I want my hands. But I want my light once I'm done falling. I've been playing with the knot below. It slides so i can get rid of the loop and leave a single strand. The melted end of the cord is what stops it from pulling out of the loop. So it will give with a hard enough pull. Better a lost light than a broken wrist. ;)
    Cheers Jim

20190517_063801.jpg

6. Coyote Charlie

Coyote Charlie Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I keep a lanyard on my axes for hanging in the gear locker at home and one on my pocket SAK so it is easier to find when I am looking for it in my pocket. Otherwise I agree they get in the way. This is my SAK with a lanyard next to a bracelet I made for bushclass. IMG_20180406_221555_613.jpg

7. backlasher

backlasher nothing to do and all day to do it in Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I like dummy cords for my pocketknife and my match safe. I don't want lanyards on fixed blade knives or axes. We very seldom get any snow and the drawbacks outweigh any benefit. I agree with the OP.

8. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I keep my compass on one, some of my hunting calls have them, and my fire steel but by and large I don’t like them on edged tools. If I trip and roll down a hill side the last thing I want is a knife or axe flopping around attached to me.

9. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    There's more to attaching lanyards to sharp things than tying a piece of paracord through a hole in the handle.
    Some lanyards are short, to aid in drawing a knife out of a deep sheath. Think zipper pull.
    Some are longer, for wrapping around your hand to add tension to the grip and prevent slippage.
    A lanyard through a ferro rod can help hold it to the sheath and aid in pulling it against steel, especially a shorter rod.
    And yes, some tools don't require lanyards at all.
    quack, quack ;)

10. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    There's more to attaching lanyards to sharp things than tying a piece of paracord through a hole in the handle.
    Some lanyards are short, to aid in drawing a knife out of a deep sheath. Think zipper pull.
    Some are longer, for wrapping around your hand to add tension to the grip and prevent slippage.
    A lanyard through a ferro rod can help hold it to the sheath and aid in pulling it against steel, especially a shorter rod.
    And yes, some tools don't require lanyards at all.
    quack, quack ;)

11. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I use them in very few cases, generally though I hate them too. I don't have one on a single axe, but I do have them on my trekking poles. I cut the keyring off of my Pioneer which lives in my pocket, but use the one on my Farmer to help get it in and out of it's sheath. I also have a small lanyard on my keys for the same reason. So they do have their place, but if I don't need one I prefer not to have it at all.

12. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You don't really need them until you wish you had one.

ChrisOCLM, Gumbi, Broke and 8 others like this.
  13. chndlr04

chndlr04 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The only lanyard i am willing to have is on the ferro rod. However, since i have expanded and broken up my fire kit. I dont worry about the lanyard anymore.
    No lanyard on any kind of blade for me

14. Jim L.

Jim L. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My take on a lanyards it that they are a PITA piece of safety equipement that is worth it when needed, and highly questioned when not.

Holding onto your knife with cold, hypothermic fingers brings a situation to mind when you didn't have to look for it in the snow or undergrowth after losing you grip. Positive

Having your knife pulled from its sheath by a bush. Negative

As with anything, a lanyard will have an upside and a downside.

15. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    Yes on deep pouch knives and firesteels. I’m talking little, colorful handle extension lanyards (about as long as my hand is wide) for knives, and enough colorful loop on a fire steel so it is easy to find if dropped ...

Jim L., PAcanis, Wendy Owens and 5 others like this.
  16. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    lanyards on tools whilst "yachting" helps keep them from going swimming w/ Davey Jones

lanyards on cutting tools whilst hunting off the ground on branchy perches keeps me from having to unclimb the perch to retrieve the tool i was trying to use when it escaped my grip

lanyards on tools in my pockets WILL hang on a snag and escape my pocket at the most inopportune moments sometimes unbeknownst to me until later when i need the tool

a compass hanging on a lanyard around my neck or from a D ring on my PFD sure is handy if/when i need it

to each his own and i have made peace w/ mine...

some are strung

some are unstrung

and some get strung/unstrung for specific duties ;-)

17. Stone

Stone Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    As has been said, they have different purposes. In addition to on knife handles for ease in drawing it from the sheath, another use is kind of a modified zipper pull. Modified in that needing it to pulling the zipper isn't necessary, but the bright paracord on the zipper pull makes it so you can find certain important things in the pack. I agree with lanyards on compasses and such. I lately bought some fishing pliers that have a coiled cord like the old phone receiver coil that stays attached to the sheath. That way in the intensity of the moment you don't have to worry about re-sheathing the pliers before dealing with the fish. And lately I think it is important to have your glasses attached to a lanyard of some sort (i.e. Croakies) part of the time, because the glasses are important for getting home...or even back to the dock.

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 11:32 AM
    Jim L., BBizy, Wendy Owens and 3 others like this.
  18. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    on smaller items, yes, bright lanyard has helped me quickly spot items,
    also on knives helps with gripping if you have right size loop for it
    never had a lanyard snag on anything
    as for larger items, like an axe, never saw the need for a lanyard on large objects

19. Stone

Stone Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    The only time I snagged a lanyard was when I had an LMF fire steel in a custom made kydex sheath. The loop that holds the striker to the steel caught on a doorknob and before I realized it was gone from the sheath I saw it hanging from the doorknob...good idea to have red handled firesteels. :rolleyes: As such, any firesteel sheath I have has to be designed such that the lanyard holds the steel in the sheath. But usually I don't have them exposed to snagging (like inside a pocket or pouch).

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 1:15 PM
  20. silent chad

silent chad Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yep..... perdy much.

Jim L., Wendy Owens and Barry J like this.
  21. GKiT

GKiT Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    rural America but not as far out as I would like
    I generally don’t care for them either. On some knives that sit deep in a tight fitting sheath, a small lanyard pull has some merit for retrieving the knife from its sheath but it’s generally not needed. Some original small axes I have seen (all from northern climates) had lanyards and I believe they may have been useful not only for hanging up the axe but for use when chopping through ice. The lanyard slipped over the wrist is a little insurance policy against dropping the axe through a hole in the ice where it could easily be lost.

22. Barry J

Barry J Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't like long lanyards on cutting tools. I have put short lanyards on some of my knives. These are just long enough to slip my pinky finger through and still obtain a normal grip. This seems to be working for me.

Jim L. and anrkst6973 like this.
  23. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    If in deep snow or over water as in a boat I will use a lanyard on my knife. I connect the two foot lanyard to my wrist incase I drop the knife I don’t lose it. Finding a knife in three feet of snow is next to impossible in some cases and over the side of a boat well not gonna happen for me. I sometimes will attach a smaller lanyard to my folder when in my pack to allow me to find it quickly. Also use a lanyard for my fire making device to allow me to quickly find the item.

IMG_0806.jpeg

24. PVF1

PVF1 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A small snake knot or similar style lanyard in reflective para cord is good for visibility, especially if you drop the knife at night. Something like this:

[​IMG]

The loop is small and basically just allows the lanyard to hang freely. Shouldn't snag on anything and the lanyard doesn't get in the way. Just provides a bit of "security" against losing your favorite knife :dblthumb:

I also find that they're helpful for removing knives from leather sheaths. I don't use it as much when removing from the kydex sheath because the thumb ramp makes it easy to just grip the knife with one hand and then push against the ramp with your thumb.

25. Wendy Owens

Wendy Owens Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @PVF1 The one I have a problem with is tied with reflective paracord, in a cobra knot, and less than half the length of the one you show.
    I couldn't stand it on my knife.

Jim L., Barry J and PVF1 like this.
  26. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is like Déjà Vu all over again.
    I have some choppers with lanyards that I use over the thumb and across the back of the hand like a night stick grip.

27. Lazarusaurus

Lazarusaurus Idot Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In Soviet Russia, lanyards hate you!

Barry J, marbleman, PVF1 and 3 others like this.
  28. PAcanis

Blog Posts:

Yup. Rehashing the lanyard vs not debate :D
    But hey, @ReallyBigMonkey1 has like an hour long video on using lanyards with machetes and big choppers, so they can't be all bad :dblthumb:

Barry J, ReallyBigMonkey1 and 45jack like this.
  29. PVF1

PVF1 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Different strokes :)

Wendy Owens and Barry J like this.
  30. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I do this too. I call it the "2 finger", the loop is just long enough to fit the pinky and ring finger. I have never had a snag/loss/ pulled from sheath, even in the thickets of East Tx. I find it useful to hang the knife up to air dry after animal processing or kitchen duty.

Wendy Owens, Barry J and 45jack like this.
  31. Lazarusaurus

Lazarusaurus Idot Supporter

Blog Posts:
    An open-ended lanyard with a slider of some sort can really help with snagging issues.

20190408_123533.jpg

32. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't put lanyards on anything that won't get lost in leaves. I hate them.

Fiddly things get lanyards for me...ferro rod, compass, whistle...stuff like that. Not my tools. I don't want something getting in my way when I am using them, and if I lose control of my knife or axe, the last thing I want is an uncontrolled blade swinging wildly attached to my hand. No thank you. I prefer to just drop it, and pick it up again. I'm OK with that.

Barry J and Wendy Owens like this.
  33. S.Decker

S.Decker Guide

Blog Posts:
    As the pot calls the kettle black. HA!:18:

Barry J, Wendy Owens and MrFixIt like this.
  34. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
    Everybody knows I’m odd. ;)

35. S.Decker

S.Decker Guide

Blog Posts:
    It IS your most outstanding feature.:59:

36. Wendy Owens

Wendy Owens Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @MrFixIt the weirdness within me honors the oddness within you. Namaste.

Barry J and MrFixIt like this.
  37. ReallyBigMonkey1

ReallyBigMonkey1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I hate even arguing on lanyards because a lanyard on a tool is the users opinion. With that said here's my opinions.
    1. Lanyard on an axe, not for gripping because your hands slide on an axe.
    2. Lanyard on a hatchet, one handed tool so I can see that.
    3. Lanyard on a knife. A knife is a slicing tool, not a chopping tool so no need for a full lanyard. A short lanyard used on a knife is for drawing it out of a sheath or pocket and that's called a fob. If one is worried about losing a knife in water or snow a two inch lanyard won't help, tie two or three feet of orange ribbon to it.
    4. Lanyard on a machete. Believe me, if you chop with a machete for more than 20 minutes you'll want a lanyard. As far as snagging it on anything in the bush? You're supposed to secure that lanyard end on a snap on your sheath when traveling and not allow it to dangle freely.

pommie, sea6ear, S.Decker and 6 others like this.
  38. SpookyPistolero

SpookyPistolero Slow learner Lifetime Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Compass and firesteel only, for me. If I worked in the snow it would be a different story though. I'd out a foot of orange paracord on everything.

Barry J, Wendy Owens and MrFixIt like this.
  39. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
    Namaste.
    :dblthumb:

40. Wasp

Wasp Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    On most fixed blades I've put them on but several come back off. Drawing from a sheath is a very convincing reason on a fixed blade.

Clipped folders don't get one because I don't want it in the action as most of mine are one hand open/closers.
    I do put them on SAKs or other small knives and folders for handling and in and out of pocket.

20190503_135917.jpg

41. JOttum

JOttum North Woodsman Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    This sums my take on it exactly.

Wendy Owens likes this.
  42. Sawdustdave

Sawdustdave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a lanyard on my ferro rods, along with the striker. Keeps 'em together and easier to grip. One small axe has one, to hang. One knife, to pull from the sheathe. My fishing SAK has one to help pull from the tackle bag.

I can see the use, and can see the harm.

Oh, and where I camp I've never needed to make a feather stick. But I also have plenty of wood shavings in my shop from planing boards. And I KNOW I'm an odd duck!

S.Decker, Wendy Owens and PAcanis like this.
  43. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I feel ya buddy.

Two things. A short (like 3”) lanyard loop on an axe or hatchet can be used both to hold up the axe like a plumb bob/line to gauge the lean of a tree and to hang it up on the staub of a limb to keep it off the ground and away from feet.

On knives that are borderline choppers, you can use a lanyard — looped over the wrist — to make it an effective chopper... if that is what y

44. JeffG

JeffG Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like lanyards on knives for one reason. During gutting or messy chores, I adamantly refuse to put a dirty knife back into a sheath. Laying a knife on the ground, floor, or table is trouble. So I use the lanyard for hanging the knife up, until it gets cleaned.

45. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    ¿ PONDERMENT ?

though i haven't actually done this this discussion brings to mind the

SOFT SHACKLE

for those who don't like the idea of a permanent lanyard a soft shackle could be employed for those times when loosing a tool while using it so it doesn't go swimming or fall out of a tree necessitating the user to either go swimming or unclimb the tree to reclaim it ¿ ?

JeffG and Wendy Owens like this.
  46. Stags Crest

Stags Crest Crafty McBushcraft Supporter

Blog Posts:
  47. JOttum

JOttum North Woodsman Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I dont know what a soft shackle is.

Wendy Owens likes this.
  48. Leg

Leg Tracker

Blog Posts:
    On my Leatherman wave i use a lanyard, but on my Gossman Polaris, i dont use one....maybe it's a "ergonomical" constatation?

Wendy Owens likes this.
  49. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    In a kayak, I want my knife or whatever tool I have to use to be tethered. I once had to use my Leatherman tool saw to cut some branches out of the way so we could pass when floating down a rather difficult creek. I did it, but was scared to death that I would drop it, and the water was way too deep and I'd never find it. Now I make sure I have a string to tie onto it when kayaking. Otherwise, I have zero use for lanyards.

Stone, JeffG and Wendy Owens like this.
  50. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    you know what a shackle is...

a metal loop of sorts that has a pin or screw that secures parts together

th.jpeg

a rope shackle simply offers similar results and it is made entirely of rope

th.jpeg

they are reported to be 175% as strong as the rope they are made out of

off roaders are going/many have already gone to Dynema for their winch lines

Dynema is stronger and lighter than steel of the same cross section

they are also using Dynema soft shackles to secure their lines when winching their rigs up n outa the messes they get themselves into

take a bit of time and follow this DIY site

https://www.animatedknots.com/soft-shackle

then google them

i think you will be amazed

JeffG likes this.