I have a new bucket list/goal. I want to play music in Italy

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by marbleman, Sep 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

1. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    And I live in the USA. It will be a toss-up, between whether I get too old (I'm already pretty old) or get enough $$$ (I'm already pretty broke), but I found a new thing, that really speaks to me. The Biggest Rock Band on Earth.

For several years, there is a group called rockin1000 Their goal is simple: Get 1000 people of all ages together, spend three days practicing, then play rock and roll. Young. Old. Ugly. Cute. They play in big stadiums.

The last time around, they had 1500+musicians, from 30 countries. The performers do not get paid, this is a labor of love. The bar of talent is set pretty low, because this is a lot of organization and setup, without much time to practice. I know I am a good enough player, I'm not sure if I want to leave my gear set up in a football (soccer?) stadium in Italy for three days.

300 drummers? 300 guitar players? There's a lot that can go wrong (think of the poor sound guys, they are the hardest workers in this event, trying to rein in everything).

@EternalLove you should like this one.

2. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    Interesting. I have never heard of that before.

Beach Hiker likes this.
  3. marbleman

Blog Posts:
    I figured you would like it because of your avatar...

Beach Hiker and EternalLove like this.
  4. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    They sounded good. A good choice of song too.

Beach Hiker likes this.
  5. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker LB 42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It would be a great experience.

And then, well, you're in Italy, one of the most drop dead gorgeous places on planet Earth....

6. PVF1

PVF1 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    And the food . . . man oh man. This sounds like a really awesome idea @marbleman, I hope you are able to make it a reality for you!

KFF, pellegrino and marbleman like this.
  7. oberKGBler

oberKGBler Tracker

Blog Posts:
    And the italians are a realy nice guys generaly, go for it! :)

Beach Hiker likes this.
  8. dads2vette

dads2vette Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    @marbleman do you know if they have a schedule? My brother is recording in Paris at the end of the month and I'm sure he would be interested.

dave

Beach Hiker likes this.
  9. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker LB 42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oh yeah!!

pellegrino and EternalLove like this.
  10. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
  11. marbleman

Blog Posts:
    I certainly would like to go to Italy, anyway. I've been around this blue marble a little bit, but that would just plain be fun. Going to a thing like this however, would keep me worrying about my gear. It would be nice to spend three days doing this, ship it all back home, then spend some time traveling light around Italy.

@dads2vette Yup, I linked to that in the second paragraph, initially. What does your brother play, and since he is already close, it would be easier. I signed up to some of the initial info stuff, you need to send them some audition material. They pretty much have to do that, else they would be overwhelmed with beginners.

And? Yes, I really like Italian food, and a few other things unique to that area.

This whole thing will be at the very least, 3 years away. I just quit my job (of 20 years), and started a new one that is a 3 year contract. I have less vacation than I did, but I really need to do this 3 year thing, first.

EternalLove and Beach Hiker like this.
  12. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    @marbleman

From a few yrs ago:

He plays with a couple bands in Buffalo, San Fran and LA when he's in town and does some studio work...I hate him.;)

dave

Beach Hiker and marbleman like this.
  13. marbleman

Blog Posts:
    @dads2vette here's some flotsam and jetsam from my home studio in 1988 or so. This was mastered to 2-track digital tape, in my dining room. At the time I was a 4th generation farmer (corn/wheat/beans/cows). The other farmers thought I was weird. Here's a run-down of the tracks. This is a 2-man non-band, my friend Vance and myself.
    • On guitar: My friend Vance. He and I played in a rockin' teen combo, in the 1970's. This was tracked straight to the console with no speakers, with a direct box I built. He's playing a late 70's Strat through a late 1960's Fender Bandmaster amp head, turned up to 11. Tasty molten licks, as well as clean rhythm later.
    • On guitar: A short snippet of Jimmy Page, shamelessly ripped from the Led Zeppelin 2 CD, 'A Whole Lotta Love'. I had to speed up the sample a little bit, to fit the phony scratching sounds. Triggered via MIDI from a 6-bit Akai sampler.
    • On Phony Scratching Sounds: that's me on a keyboard.
    • On Fake Horns: that's me on a keyboard.
    • On Fake Drums: that's me on a computer.
    • On the repeated kick-ass riffs: that's me on an Oberheim Matrix1000, a great analog synth.
    • On Fake Bass: that's me on a computer (listen to the outtro, I think I did very good on that part)
    • On BACKWARDS GUITAR SOLO? whew. that's my friend Vance, that very patiently played to a click track only, while I edited it to death...
    After the backwards guitar solo? On the ascending horns I blatantly ripped off the hook from Golden Earring/Radar Love. Because I like it.

https://archive.org/details/def_zeppelin

Beach Hiker likes this.
  14. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    An epic 1:51!!!

dave