I have a new work bench, need some ideas

Discussion in 'Self-made Gear' started by Skeptiksks, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Skeptiksks

Skeptiksks Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My dad surprised me with an awesome work bench for my apartment this Easter. I was expecting an old computer desk I had him cut down to fit my space in our second bedroom/shop/art studio. He showed up with this amazing creation. It stand over 7 feet tall has over a 2' x 4' foot print. He built in the light and power strip before he got here. Completely blew me away, one of the best gifts I have ever been blessed with.

14926509140451458075672.jpg 14926509412181461381950.jpg

As you can see it is kinda naked still. I havent had the time to work on it that I would like. I put on another layer of 7/8 laminate from an old table and added some other doo-dads, but nothing really crazy. I have plans to build the top up 1 1/4" from the original 1 1/8" bringing it to a total of 2 3/8" over all. Then I will be inlaying a Large aluminum plate on the right front right corner, and a large piece of angle along the front.

14926514083091274886008.jpg
    (Please note that both the angle and the plate will be flush with the surface and the table top will be built even thicker)

Besides adding material to the sides (legs I guess) and adding 2 drill holders under the shelf in having trouble figuring out the best way to lay it all out. Especially when it comes to hand tools. I have more tool boxes than I can fit and I want my most used tools in arms reach.

What would you do if you had this amazing blank slate? Let your imagination go crazy!

2. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Hard to answer. It depends on what you'll do with it. If you need space for a bunch of electronics test equipment you might want power down low across the back. If you're into reloading you might want to figure out a removable mount for the reloading press and would want some small cubby holes, shelves or bins across the back wall. Will you need a vise or anvil? Do you need to manage small parts, like for model building or watch repair? Are you going to do leatherwork or sewing?

The good thing about a blank slate is that the possibilities abound. But if folks knew what sort of stuff you plan to do that might help. :)

3. Skeptiksks

Blog Posts:
    This is a great point. I do a bit of everything. I do have a vice and an anvil sort of thing, both are counter for me to be able to clamp them down for use. As for specifics, leather work, sewing, working on/cleaning my guns, soon reloading, modifying all sorts of crap, breaking stuff down to salvage parts, tinkering, honey do stuff, the whole 9 yards. Basically if I can do it with my own to hands it will probably be attempted here if it interests me haha

CivilizationDropout likes this.
  4. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout --MOA #17 - MYOG #71-- Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    an edge vise like this one;
    stanly vise.jpg
    Its a good versatile vice, I've seen them at thrift shops for $5-$10. Thats WELL worth the price tag!

Tangotag, MR.B, OldSoul and 4 others like this.
  5. Skeptiksks

Blog Posts:
    Funny thing, my little brother got one of those from his old shop teacher years back. I wonder if he would be willing to part with it.

6. Skeptiksks

Blog Posts:
    Also, I have another shelf for parts and materials, and another one next to that, so this will mainly be tools and generic screws and washers and such.

7. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Guide

Blog Posts:
    If you can come up some of the thin silverware trays for dishwashers they can be mounted to the wall to keep track of screwdrivers stitching wheels and what nots.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  8. Skeptiksks

Blog Posts:
    The tools are the hardest part due to their bulk and odd shapes, and its tough to do some sort of multi tiered thinger that takes up a lot of space on the work top.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  9. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Peg board the walls and organize your tools you use most there.
    Don't forget a paper towel holder and shop towels as well as had wash media and most of all a FAK and a fire extinguisher.

10. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Great looking workbench.

Mounting receivers to workbenches seems to be one of the best things I've done to make them a little more modular. I belong to a kind of fabrication guild that mounts all of our different tools, jigs, vices etc. to plates on draw bars. That way if someone needs to borrow something it will work in their shop too.
    These are primarily for metal fabrication but you get the idea. There are many variations of wooden removable tool mounts for workbenches too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    On the right in the back you can see a rack for mounted tool and jigs.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  11. Skeptiksks

Blog Posts:
    I might go with peg board, though I have never been a fan of how it looks lol though it would greatly increase the modularity. I will definitely get a paper towel holder and load it with shop towels (love those, awesome paper towels). I also have a couple spent fire extinguishers I need to have recharged.

I'm loving the way that looks, once I get more stuff that needs to be mounted that will definitely be the way I go. Right now its just a small vise and a piece of 3" round set into a piece of 8x10 header for a makeshift anvil.

Tangotag likes this.
  12. MiddleWolf

MiddleWolf Guide

Blog Posts:

Take your time. As time goes on you will see a need to "customize" certain features to your liking and use. What you may add quickly today you may say "ahhh maybe I didn't need that" tomorrow. A good rule of thumb we used as mechanics was if we needed to borrow a tool 3 times then maybe we need to buy one. (specialized factory tools excepted) Also you might want to make an area or add-on interchangeable with other mounted devices. Again, time will tell.

13. Skeptiksks

Blog Posts:
    You bring up a good point. Mainly this is just for basic stuff and ideas for the future. Also, I need to get some stuff cleared out of the way so my fiance will leave me alone about it hahaha. We share the space in that room so me having tool boxes and material all over the entire room hasn't been going over well lol. With the "borrow a tool 3 times and its probably a good idea to get one" I totally understand that, the majority of my vast tool collection for work was once something I borrowed one too many times until I got my own. Even some of the more random ones like Roto strips or recently a banana peeler stripper

14. DarrylM

DarrylM Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like magnet bars for keeping the often used tools handy and up out of the way, like basic philips and slotted screwdrivers, needle nose pliers, etc.

15. Red Yeti

Red Yeti Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Nice! good for you. I would suggest you have plenty of light, and add something like a swing arm lamp ( not at all expensive) clamped to it somewhere so you can use it like a spotlight on you work. I think some kind of vice is extremely useful.

Enjoy! And make something nice for your dad on it.

T. Pollock, OldSoul and Skeptiksks like this.
  16. Skeptiksks

Blog Posts:
    I like that idea, where might one find magnet strips? Are you talking rare earth/ceramic/nice magnets, or the flexible plastic kind?

I have another under cabinet light I got from work, but the LED bar he supplied me with is bright as day. Its crazy, though I may have a goose neck lamp somewhere. May give it a shot. And many things will be made for my dad with this, now that I have a place to work other than the kitchen bar and the floor lol

17. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Harbor freight has magnet strips for tools very cheap.

T. Pollock, Skeptiksks and DarrylM like this.
  18. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looking at the pictures, I would use 2x4 or 2x6 as legs under the work top. Make a more solid connection to the floor if you are putting metal plate on it. It looks like only plywood case as legs right now. Solid enough for tinkering, but not solid enough to hammer on.
    Also, what about putting doors on the entire front of it. Good storage space inside, only open when you use it, and hide/protect projects as you are working on them.

Skeptiksks likes this.
  19. DarrylM

DarrylM Guide

Blog Posts:
    @Bridgetdaddy mentioned the ones I got. I think they're just cheap ceramic magnets, housed in a steel channel with a strip of tape hiding the magnets from casual view. Better tool supply stores will sell more expensive versions.

There are also plastic tool caddys that can be mounted on screws set in the wall. They have holes and little trays for organizing tools and bits.

Skeptiksks likes this.
  20. Skeptiksks

Blog Posts:
    I have already added 2x4 against the floor to shore up the foot print, on the left side I still need to put 2x4 supports down into that, on the opposite side I have drawers and it is almost butted up against a shelf, but there is about an inch of space so I was gonna put a piece of 1" play against that whole side that is tied into the 2x4 footing. Think that will give it enough strength for some moderate hammering? If not I will still have enough overhang away from the shelf for a 2x6 on the outside right under the plate.

21. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    The 1" might work. The more solid you have under where you are hammering, the less bounce.

Skeptiksks likes this.
  22. Skeptiksks

Blog Posts:
    Awesome, most of my hammering will be pretty light. Setting rivets/studs/snaps, and just trying to coax something stuck. No smithing in the spare bedroom lol I don't think I would ever live something like that down haha

23. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hammering you might be able to explain, probably not the forge.....

Skeptiksks likes this.
  24. Skeptiksks

Blog Posts:
    Maybe a small one, I could try and hide it in my safe. The burn marks on the carpet would be the tough one....

25. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    What smoke alarm?????:rolleyes:

26. Skeptiksks

Blog Posts:
    "No sir, I had no idea a forge in my bedroom was a bad idea, silly me!" Now I'm wondering if someone has done that :11:

27. gila_dog

gila_dog BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I put bolted a medium size vice to one corner of my bench (right over one of the legs). That has been a very useful tool many many times. Good for holding things while I beat on them, or saw them, or glue them, or solder to them, etc, etc. If you're not doing anything too demanding you can get a small clamp-on vice, but I needed something more sturdy.

Skeptiksks likes this.
  28. Skeptiksks

Blog Posts:
    I have a smaller vise that is bolted to a piece of 1 1/4 form board for concrete (so heavy duty plywood with a very smooth, almost plastic finish) it used to be clamped to a large work table when I still lived with my parents. My dad brought it over as well. I may put recieving holes into the aluminum plate and thread them with corresponding holes in the form board and make a solid connection that way. Same for my ghetto anvil (pics of that when I get home, its pretty interesting looking I guess)

29. Ridge_Runner57k

Ridge_Runner57k Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Great little work space there.; reminds me my shop is still a mess from getting reorganized and have to still put a table saw together i got on sale got a tiny shop space at the moment that im trying to make the best of

Skeptiksks likes this.
  30. Skeptiksks

Blog Posts:
    So I did some more work on it last night. I salvaged a beat up wood paper towel rack and bolted it on, and then shored up the legs and underside on the left leg end. I've still got a bit more to add onto that side before I move to the right leg to strengthen in. Enjoy, sorry about the crummy pics. Phone camera has been weird lately.

20170421_221051.jpg 20170421_221103.jpg 20170421_221117.jpg

31. basher1981

basher1981 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Harbor freight has some magnetic disposable
    Glove holders and paper towel holder that I currently have stuck under a hang metal cabinet. I'd suggest a secure place to put dust mask and eye protection. I never understood people leaving them on the bench to get dust in and out them on and breath it in or get stuff in their eyes. I'm making one like this. IMG_3258.PNG

I just went through the same thing of
    Organizing a shop. My wife kids and I moved in with my dad a few months after my
    Mom passed to help him out and I got our old shop back together. It had been neglected for years but I got it back in tip top shape. Only to be moving again into a larger house with a larger garage for my shop. Pops coming with us But I literally got the shop completed 30-45 days ago and we close in about another 45 days :25:

Skeptiksks likes this.
  32. Skeptiksks

Blog Posts:
    I have a few drawers and more boxes than I can shake a stick at for ppe, if I have more room I would totally go with the safety cabinet though, I love the idea.

At least you are getting a bigger shop though, that's a plus, and I'm gonna assume that this will be a pretty permanent set-up so the effort won't be wasted. Congrats on the new house and larger shop!

basher1981 likes this.
  33. Skeptiksks

Blog Posts:
    Just a little update on the progress of the bench. I started setting the aluminum plate into the corner, its almost done, I just need to enlarge the holes for lag bolts and screw the sucker down to the top. The fit is a little sloppy but I have already spent 3 hours getting it this close so its good enough for me lol. Next up is the angle iron along the front of the bench. I have done a few more additions as well, though you might not be able to tell with how messy it is. I have been working on all sorts of stuff lately so I have bits and pieces all over. Anyway, enjoy! 149498157709113377389.jpg 1494981604314770283672.jpg 1494981650435861919217.jpg

34. Bone

Bone Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Nice work. And you have a spot to pound directly over the vertical support on the right side.

Skeptiksks likes this.
  35. Backyard

Backyard Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Way to maximize the space. Hats off to Dad.

A few things I have done in the past that helped when working in tight spaces.
    • Peg boards are awesome if you use generic tool hangers. Having room for 10 screw drivers on your board is great, unless other tools don't fit in the screw driver tool hanger. I've spent time customizing tool hangers, it was time well spent.
    • Have a tool box for a specific set of tools related to a type of work. If you aren't doing that type of work, put your tools away in the tool box and put it up on the shelf. When you find yourself reaching for a few tools from that tool box regularly, you've just found a common tool that you may want to keep on a peg board.
    • Somewhere under your work surface and above your apartment floor, add a 1/2 piece of balsa wood. Your neighbors below you will have less of a reason to complain. Balsa wood will absorb much of the vibration, which may result in your neighbors not hearing what you are enjoying.
    Foundational projects are often overlooked and under appreciated. Good to see you laying a solid foundation.

Skeptiksks likes this.
  36. Skeptiksks

Blog Posts:
    I have never been the biggest fan of peg board, I dont like the way it looks, though I may still go that route. What I'm planning for the back is a field of mag tool strips to keep everything magnetic. Then I have the single gang boxes along the back right for awkwardly shaped and non ferrous tools. As for the sound, thankfully I live on the ground floor so no need to worry about people below me (I would have hated to try and get this beast up stairs too, even though he brought it in 3 pieces). Also my neighbors are cool and I do all the loud stuff during the day, right after work so most everyone is already awake and won't care much, as long as I'm not violating quiet hour.

This has been an awesome project, and I completely agree on the foundational projects part. This one has kept me busy for a while and will probably keep me busy for a good deal longer. From there I will always have somewhere to work on other things. Best gift ever!

37. Backyard

Backyard Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've had mixed success with magnetic strips. I've had almost perfect success with a rare earth magnet epoxied into a dadoe. Just remember to keep your phone and other digital hardware away from the magnets. Have fun, you've got a great workspace.

Skeptiksks likes this.
  38. Skeptiksks

Blog Posts:

I have never hear of a dadoe until now. Looks like one more project for me lol. One the subject of mag strips, I have managed to make these steel plates into mar strips with all the magnets I have put on them. Not the most reliable thing if I remove a magnet to use it, but still cool.

14951388209451114053128.jpg

The square drive bit is non magnetic by the way.

And thanks for the complimwnta on the work bench. Once again I wouldn't be here if my dad, @Bone hadn't surprised me with it. Now I get to customize it and make it my own!

Tangotag and Backyard like this.
  39. Skeptiksks

Blog Posts:
    The angle and the plate have both been mounted. The toughest parts are now out of the way. I still need to fill and level the gaps between my striking surfaces and the work bench but that can come with time. Now for more pictures!

14951418207701985118096.jpg 14951419473001143651652.jpg 14951420061711166963845.jpg 14951420457241383555061.jpg 14951420775341109591493.jpg

Tangotag, Backyard and NattyBo like this.
  40. Vydor

Vydor Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This! A vise is a must for a good workbench.

41. Angelgutter

Angelgutter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like ya got a good pops! Things like that can't be replaced....
    Me personally, I'd mount a rock crusher or better yet a Dillon 650 and start cranking out ammo!
    IMG_2172.JPG

Tangotag and CivilizationDropout like this.
  42. Skeptiksks

Blog Posts:
    I already have a smaller harbor freight vise, it has proved itself invaluable in my building endeavors.

I wish I could afford any sort of reloading equipment. I have about 2000 9mm cases, 1000 5.56, 500 .308, and a bunch of other stuff. A press would be awesome!

43. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The aluminum plate is awesome. Really nice job.

And I'm stealing the angle iron idea!
    Killer bench, brother. Way to maximize.

44. Skeptiksks

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the compliments! And steal away, I would have loved it if I had a longer chunk of angle to put all the way across the from and meet with the plate. It would have tied the look together better and added a bit more rigidity to the entire top, but I can deal, its still going to come in handy.

45. DavidEnoch

DavidEnoch Scout

Blog Posts:
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/resources/the-sportsmans-workshop-1921.49/

I recommend this free download available here. It has a chapter on his idea of what an outdoorsman's workbench should be and what tools he recommends. It is very out of date but still has good ideas. There are several out of date ideas that still translate well with updated tools and materials.
    David Enoch

46. Skeptiksks

Blog Posts:
    Hey thanks. Gonna check that out right now!

47. Bone

Bone Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Turned out great. And I know it is more than sturdy enough to hold even a full Rainier can. lol

48. Skeptiksks

Blog Posts:
    I certainly hope so. Though I'm not ghetto enough to try a 40 of OE on it for a proper torture test lolol

49. DavidEnoch

DavidEnoch Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just bought one of these vises on Ebay for $22 shipped. They offered this model with bolt on or clamp on attachment. I bought a bolt on for my application.

Thanks for the recommendation.

David Enoch

50. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout --MOA #17 - MYOG #71-- Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Great, show us the setup when you're all ready to work!