I know we all do..

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Riverpirate, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  2. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A guy carrying a pocket knife is ok, but what impresses me is a woman who carries one.

3. southron

southron Guide

Blog Posts:
    ya know I kinda think I may know that boy. But it could pretty much be any of the men around when I was a kid.

Finding a man without a knife in his pocket was about as common as finding a man without pants on.

The old fellows up to the courthouse square used to get cokes, pour vanilla extract in em (dry county at the time) and whittle on pieces of red cedar about as thick as your arm. The shavings were all over and they prided themselves on pulling off foot long curls thin as a hair. Mom's would have kids pick up a poke of the shavings for starting fires or just to put in closets and such to keep out bugs.

When I was about 10 Dad drove me over to the county seat of jackson (Scottsboro) to get a hair cut. The barber asked me if I wanted to drop knives. (Dropping knives is when each fellow holds his knife in his hand and they drop them in a swap sight un seen into the other fellows hand)

All I had was an old sabre stockman made in japan and I knew it wasn't worth much. I found it in the creek and cleaned it up and sharpened it. I was kinda ashamed and told im my knife wasn't worth dropping, but he just told me to drop with him. He dropped a case XX stockman that was razor sharp. He said he felt he got the best part of that trade. Actually used it every time I saw him using it. (I could sharpen up a knife)

Still have that knife. That man invited me out to his place on sand mountain and we had many an interesting conversation and hunt for small game.

Aye, men who carry knifes are the kind of men I honor.

Thanks for a walk down memory lane by accident. I suppose I outta go see how bad things are over that way. I hear that the new gobt is getting a bit to big for it's britches. But that's dirty laundry and I don't feel like hanging it out tonight.

XD

Land, Oni, JasonJ and 12 others like this.
  4. Riverpirate

Blog Posts:
    I used to have a friend that I saw only once or twice a year. We swapped knives everytime we saw each other. I still have the last one he gave me.

Mattexian, JasonJ, Park Swan and 8 others like this.
  5. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Years ago, I met three members of O.B. In Yosemite. Two young women and a young man. They were in their mid-twenties and I had just turned 22. My buds and I invited them for dinner at our camp and they came over bringing beer, Tillamook cheese block and a long sock filled with rice (all three staples of climbers camp at the time).
    We had gotten some pork chops and had a lot of noodles. We put it all together and when it came time to slice some cheese, one of the young women pulled her Buck 110 put of her back pocket. At the time, I thought that was the coolest thing I had ever seen as I had never seen a girl with a pocket knife. I commented on that and the other young woman laughed and whipped out a well used double blade Case stag folder with about a 3-4" main blade. She said her dad gave it to her two years before when she joined O.B.
    I often wondered what happened to those three. Never saw them again after that two weeks in September.

Regards,

ezra

Oni, deckard313, gila_dog and 5 others like this.
  6. PaPa K

PaPa K Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Raised my youngest daughter around knives, she is now 23 and carries at least a folder, and has a nice BRK ultra bushcraft I gave here for Christmas several years ago. She also fixed her best friends car when her boyfriend mentioned he had no idea about cars (she helped me built bush jeeps since she was old enough to crawl up in one). She’s a peach:)

Oni, deckard313, gila_dog and 5 others like this.
  7. Jetjr

Jetjr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Pretty good read, I carry at least 3, 4 when I'm at work. If my kids don't have one they are always asking to use one. They don't get my "good" knife to use. I carry a folding hook/pruning knife at work. Keeps from having to go to the truck everytime you need to skin wire. It gets used and abused, sharpened with a file or anything handy. Beats tearing up a good pocket knife for sure.

deckard313, Metaldog and SmilinJoe like this.
  8. Metaldog

Metaldog Just chasing my tail... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Our (youngest) daughters are the same age. We taught our kids to save their money from a young age. She took saving and being practical to heart. When she was old enough to drive, with my guidance, she bought her dream car with her own money. an older Jeep Wrangler 4.0L. On the weekends she would be out 4 wheeling with friends, and showing the boys up at it. I gave her a Case Copperlock pocket knife for Christmas that year. She still carries it today. She told me she used it at work one day to cut the packing tape on a box & a handful of her coworkers gasped in shock when they saw her pull it out. She was rudely reminded by a coworker that pocket knives weren't allowed due to company policy. Her response was "Seriously?! That letter opener on your desk is more dangerous than this pocket knife". Nothing more was said...:rolleyes:

My grandsons 2 year birthday was over the weekend. Everybody gathered at his parents house for the party. There was a total of about 30 people. I was astounded to realize when helping him open his gifts, that of a room with a dozen men, I was the only one with a pocket knife. My trusty old Case Trapper saved the day. And my Gerber multi-tool was to the rescue at opening the battery doors (screw removal) on the electronic toys . I had a couple of men asking what kind of knife I had, claiming they wish they had one.
    I see some knives being gifted out in the future.... :)

9. Riverpirate

Blog Posts:
    The lady I am engaged to now carries one I gave her 35 ears ago when we were engaged the first time. Now that is something amazing.

Mattexian, Metaldog, Oni and 2 others like this.